Women Lie More Than Men

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Felstaff
Occam's Taser
Posts: 5181
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm UTC
Location: ¢ ₪ ¿ ¶ § ∴ ® © ™ ؟ ¡ ‽ æ Þ ° ₰ ₤ ಡಢ

Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Felstaff » Tue May 18, 2010 6:51 pm UTC

It's True!

MANLIES
1. I didn't have that much to drink
2. Nothing's wrong, I'm fine
3. I had no signal
4. It wasn't that expensive
5. I'm on my way
6. I'm stuck in traffic
7. No, your bum doesn't look big in that
8. Sorry, I missed your call
9. You've lost weight
10. It's just what I've always wanted

WOMANLIES
1. Nothing's wrong, I'm fine
2. I don't know where it is, I haven't touched it
3. It wasn't that expensive
4. I didn't have that much to drink
5. I've got a headache
6. It was in the sale
7. I'm on my way
8. Oh, I've had this ages
9. No, I didn't throw it away
10. It's just what I've always wanted
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Spambot5546
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue May 18, 2010 6:53 pm UTC

Twenty-five per cent of men say they've lied to their mother, but only 20% of women admit to having lied to their mum.


Clearly women are lying about lying. :P
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

The Reaper
Posts: 4008
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Contact:

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby The Reaper » Tue May 18, 2010 6:58 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:
Twenty-five per cent of men say they've lied to their mother, but only 20% of women admit to having lied to their mum.


Clearly women are lying about lying. :P

This, very much so.

User avatar
Indon
Posts: 4433
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:21 pm UTC
Location: Alabama :(
Contact:

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Indon » Tue May 18, 2010 6:59 pm UTC

I saw what you did there.

I question how they can reliably collect data about this.

On the other hand, how awesomely meta would it be if one of the questions was, "Did you lie on this survey?" or "Have you ever lied to a survey?"
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Image

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Jessica » Tue May 18, 2010 6:59 pm UTC

everyone knows that all brits are liars. That simple fact clearly skews the results of this BBC study.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

User avatar
Sockmonkey
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:30 pm UTC

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Sockmonkey » Tue May 18, 2010 7:01 pm UTC

The ones who lie often think they're telling the truth. :lol:

User avatar
AJR
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:53 pm UTC
Location: London

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby AJR » Tue May 18, 2010 9:20 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:everyone knows that all brits are liars.

No we're not...

User avatar
Cynical Idealist
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Cynical Idealist » Tue May 18, 2010 9:29 pm UTC

AJR wrote:
Jessica wrote:everyone knows that all brits are liars.

No we're not...

Well, that's what you say, but we know you're lying about it.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby bigglesworth » Tue May 18, 2010 9:47 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:everyone knows that all brits are liars. That simple fact clearly skews the results of this BBC study.
Wait, joking aside, is this a stereotype that I did not know about?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
Mot
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:03 am UTC
Location: Welgevonden, Stellenbosch, South-Friggin-Africa

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Mot » Tue May 18, 2010 10:18 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
Jessica wrote:everyone knows that all brits are liars. That simple fact clearly skews the results of this BBC study.
Wait, joking aside, is this a stereotype that I did not know about?


It's all lies. The clue is in her gender.
Robo captain, do you not realize that by destroying the human race because of their destructive tendencies, we too have become like, well...it's ironic. (mmm) Cause we...
Silence! Destroy him!
DOO! (boo!) Dooboodoo!

User avatar
Levi
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:12 am UTC

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Levi » Wed May 19, 2010 1:25 am UTC

Your title's backwards.

Or maybe you did that on purpose...

User avatar
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?
Posts: 2023
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:41 am UTC
Location: Ciudad de Panamá, Panamá

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Weeks » Wed May 19, 2010 2:15 am UTC

It's true.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

User avatar
Triangle_Man
WINNING
Posts: 1500
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 8:41 pm UTC
Location: CANADA

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Triangle_Man » Wed May 19, 2010 4:13 am UTC

Mot wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:
Jessica wrote:everyone knows that all brits are liars. That simple fact clearly skews the results of this BBC study.
Wait, joking aside, is this a stereotype that I did not know about?


It's all lies. The clue is in her gender.


But what if she's lying about lying? Or lying about lying about lying? The possiblities are endless!!!
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

User avatar
Amie
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:34 am UTC
Location: in Somnia.

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Amie » Wed May 19, 2010 4:22 am UTC

Wow. I don't know. Men lie, yes. More than women? I doubt it. Although my brain is automatically agrees with the "little or no guilt part" :( I know that I shouldn't but damn... my thoughts are coloured by personal experiences.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby poxic » Wed May 19, 2010 4:36 am UTC

If we're going by personal experiences, I'd say that women lie more than men because they are more concerned with others' feelings. Women make more little white lies ("yes, that dress looks good on you"). Men lie less often overall, but their lies tend to be of a different quality ("and then I kicked that guy's ass and didn't spill a drop of my beer while doing it").

Totally anecdotal, of course. I'd like to see a rigorously scientific study on this. Maybe we could set up several different situations, some stereotypically suited to one gender lying or the other, and some neutral. Actually measure what happens. I suspect everything will tend back toward "we're more alike than we think"... than we think it will. :wink:
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Glass Fractal
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 2:53 am UTC

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Glass Fractal » Wed May 19, 2010 4:55 am UTC

I'm not sure how you could ever measure the amount of lying that happens in a way that would get an answer that's of much use.

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby poxic » Wed May 19, 2010 5:13 am UTC

That's the scientists' job, not mine.

/ooh, now I get to pretend like I'm the head of an IT department: 'It doesn't matter HOW we do it. That's everyone else's job.' :twisted:

// :evil:
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby phlip » Wed May 19, 2010 6:34 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:MANLIES

They certainly are manly. But could use more bacon.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby SlyReaper » Wed May 19, 2010 6:59 am UTC

What counts as a lie? Because by some definitions, it's possible to lie without ever uttering a false statement. For example:

Have you done activity X?
I have done activity X a number of times.

That is not actually false even if the "number" in question is zero, but could be seen as lying.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
LuNatic
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:21 am UTC
Location: The land of Aus

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby LuNatic » Wed May 19, 2010 7:29 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:What counts as a lie? Because by some definitions, it's possible to lie without ever uttering a false statement. For example:

Have you done activity X?
I have done activity X a number of times.

That is not actually false even if the "number" in question is zero, but could be seen as lying.


That's a lie!
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

G.v.K
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby G.v.K » Wed May 19, 2010 9:17 am UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:
Twenty-five per cent of men say they've lied to their mother, but only 20% of women admit to having lied to their mum.


Clearly women are lying about lying. :P


clearly everybody is lying about lying.

User avatar
Mot
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:03 am UTC
Location: Welgevonden, Stellenbosch, South-Friggin-Africa

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Mot » Wed May 19, 2010 10:28 am UTC

phlip wrote:
Felstaff wrote:MANLIES

They certainly are manly. But could use more bacon.


I've been reading it as manlees and womanlees the whole time. Only just realized that it's actually man-lies and woman-lies.

O but it was done on purpose...
Genius.
Robo captain, do you not realize that by destroying the human race because of their destructive tendencies, we too have become like, well...it's ironic. (mmm) Cause we...
Silence! Destroy him!
DOO! (boo!) Dooboodoo!

EmptySet
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:33 am UTC

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby EmptySet » Wed May 19, 2010 12:04 pm UTC

poxic wrote:If we're going by personal experiences, I'd say that women lie more than men because they are more concerned with others' feelings. Women make more little white lies ("yes, that dress looks good on you"). Men lie less often overall, but their lies tend to be of a different quality ("and then I kicked that guy's ass and didn't spill a drop of my beer while doing it").


I'm somewhat dubious about this because in addition to the usual anecdotal evidence disclaimer, it may well be contaminated by the "women are caring nurturers, men are callous egotists" stereotype. Plus, both "Your bum doesn't look big in that" and "you've lost weight" are on the list of man-lies, but not the list of woman-lies. So it's not really borne out by this particular survey.

ianf
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:43 pm UTC

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby ianf » Wed May 19, 2010 12:25 pm UTC

Didn't Chris Rock cover all this? Something along the line of ...

Women lie all the time ... you're wearing high heels - you ain't that tall ... you've got a weave - your hair ain't that long ... you're wearing makeup - you don't look like that.

User avatar
Mot
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:03 am UTC
Location: Welgevonden, Stellenbosch, South-Friggin-Africa

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Mot » Wed May 19, 2010 12:26 pm UTC

EmptySet wrote:Plus, both "Your bum doesn't look big in that" and "you've lost weight" are on the list of man-lies, but not the list of woman-lies.


I think those should be classified as woman-lies.

a) The women are actually just lying to themselves
b) The women want to be lied to. They don't want the truth, they just want to feel good about their bums.
They cant handle the truth!
Robo captain, do you not realize that by destroying the human race because of their destructive tendencies, we too have become like, well...it's ironic. (mmm) Cause we...
Silence! Destroy him!
DOO! (boo!) Dooboodoo!

User avatar
TheKrikkitWars
Posts: 2205
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:08 pm UTC
Location: Bangor, Gwynedd, Gogledd Cymru
Contact:

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Wed May 19, 2010 12:48 pm UTC

Mot wrote:b) The women want to be lied to. They don't want the truth, they just want to feel good about their bums.


Whereas the man presumably does feel good about the womans bum, even if she doesn't?
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

User avatar
Sockmonkey
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:30 pm UTC

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Sockmonkey » Wed May 19, 2010 12:57 pm UTC

If they guy isn't a flighty jerk then yes we are usually happier about your bodies than you are. This is no great accomplishment considering how good society is at making you hate yourselves.

User avatar
lowbart
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:00 pm UTC
Location: northeastern USA
Contact:

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby lowbart » Wed May 19, 2010 1:00 pm UTC

I don't think the phrase "It's nothing. I'm fine." has ever been uttered truthfully.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

User avatar
Mot
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:03 am UTC
Location: Welgevonden, Stellenbosch, South-Friggin-Africa

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Mot » Wed May 19, 2010 1:12 pm UTC

Mot wrote:
EmptySet wrote:Plus, both "Your bum doesn't look big in that" and "you've lost weight" are on the list of man-lies, but not the list of woman-lies.


I think those should be classified as woman-lies.

a) The women are actually just lying to themselves
b) The women want to be lied to. They don't want the truth, they just want to feel good about their bums.
They cant handle the truth!


Just to clarify, I wasn't implying that the practice of lying to make someone feel good about how they look is wrong, I was just saying that it isn't the guy's fault for being placed between a rock and a hard(-to-talk-your-way-out-of) place. :)
Robo captain, do you not realize that by destroying the human race because of their destructive tendencies, we too have become like, well...it's ironic. (mmm) Cause we...
Silence! Destroy him!
DOO! (boo!) Dooboodoo!

User avatar
Elvish Pillager
Posts: 1009
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.
Contact:

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Elvish Pillager » Wed May 19, 2010 1:21 pm UTC

lowbart wrote:I don't think the phrase "It's nothing. I'm fine." has ever been uttered truthfully.

I'm quite confident that it has.

It probably hasn't been uttered truthfully by a character in a work of (non-parody) fiction, though, so I can understand why you're confused about it.
Also known as Eli Dupree. Check out elidupree.com for my comics, games, and other work.

GENERATION A(g64, g64): Social experiment. Take the busy beaver function of the generation number and add it to your signature.

Robstickle
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:07 am UTC

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Robstickle » Wed May 19, 2010 1:26 pm UTC

Twenty-five per cent of men say they've lied to their mother, but only 20% of women admit to having lied to their mum.

In other news only 32% of humans need oxygen.

Chen
Posts: 5582
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Chen » Wed May 19, 2010 1:42 pm UTC

So how did they determine the people weren't lying for the study? What if women lied less actually because they lied about how much they lied?

Seems like a pretty pointless and unverifiable study unless they actually followed the people around and somehow determined when they were actually lying.

achan1058
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby achan1058 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:00 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:all brits are liars.
Now, are you are brit? If you are, we have a "brit's paradox".

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26531
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 19, 2010 5:28 pm UTC

She's a Soviet Canuck. She answers only to Moose. And the Mounties defend the border of her nation, often using weaponized maple syrup.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:06 pm UTC
Location: Cynicistia

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Telchar » Wed May 19, 2010 5:52 pm UTC

Time to invade Canada dressed in my waffle suit....
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Jessica » Wed May 19, 2010 6:18 pm UTC

Can you wear a snowsuit under your costume? It's an important thing to consider when wearing costumes in Canuckistan.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Texas_Ben
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:34 am UTC
Location: Not in Texas

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Texas_Ben » Wed May 19, 2010 7:17 pm UTC

lowbart wrote:I don't think the phrase "It's nothing. I'm fine." has ever been uttered truthfully.

My thinking face is the same as my moping/brooding face. Which means I get to truthfully make that statement all the time.

Mostly_Harmless
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:52 am UTC

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Mostly_Harmless » Wed May 19, 2010 7:25 pm UTC

I see it as no surprise that men lie more and I blame it on women for asking questions, namely:

Do I look fat in this?

And

Did you do ..... like I asked?

User avatar
Amie
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:34 am UTC
Location: in Somnia.

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby Amie » Wed May 19, 2010 7:36 pm UTC

Texas_Ben wrote:My thinking face is the same as my moping/brooding face. Which means I get to truthfully make that statement all the time.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:41 pm UTC
Location: The Universe

Re: Women Lie More Than Men

Postby thicknavyrain » Wed May 19, 2010 7:48 pm UTC

poxic wrote:If we're going by personal experiences, I'd say that women lie more than men because they are more concerned with others' feelings. Women make more little white lies ("yes, that dress looks good on you"). Men lie less often overall, but their lies tend to be of a different quality ("and then I kicked that guy's ass and didn't spill a drop of my beer while doing it").


How does this study reflect on those with no defined gender?

"And then I made the dress look good on that guy and didn't spill a drop of my beer while doing it"
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 19 guests