Anti-Obesity Group will sue McDonald's over Happy Meal toys

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Oregonaut

Anti-Obesity Group will sue McDonald's over Happy Meal toys

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

Article

Spoiler:
WASHINGTON – Are the toys in your child's Happy Meal making him fat?

The Center for Science in the Public Interest says they are. The Washington-based consumer advocacy group threatened to file a lawsuit against McDonald's Tuesday, charging that the fast food chain "unfairly and deceptively" markets the toys to children.

"McDonald's marketing has the effect of conscripting America's children into an unpaid drone army of word-of-mouth marketers, causing them to nag their parents to bring them to McDonald's," CSPI's Stephen Gardner wrote to the heads of the chain in a letter announcing the lawsuit.

The center, which has filed dozens of lawsuits against food companies in recent years, is hoping the publicity and the threat of a lawsuit will force McDonald's to negotiate with them on the issue. The group announced the lawsuit in the letter to McDonald's 30 days before filing it with the hope that the company will agree to stop selling the toys before a suit is filed.

McDonald's Vice President of Communications, William Whitman, said in a statement that the company "couldn't disagree more" with CSPI's assertion that their toys violate any laws. He said McDonald's restaurants offer more variety than they ever have and Happy Meals are made smaller for kids.

"We are proud of our Happy Meal which gives our customers wholesome food and toys of the highest quality and safety," Whitman said. "Getting a toy is just one part of a fun, family experience at McDonald's."

CSPI says the suit would be filed in state court. The center has not settled on a state yet, but the group believes the toys in Happy Meals violate state consumer protection laws in Massachusetts, Texas, the District of Columbia, New Jersey and California.

California's Santa Clara County voted earlier this year to ban restaurants from giving away the toys and other freebies that often come with high-calorie meals aimed at kids.

McDonald's has fought such criticism for years, and the company made a pledge in 2007 to advertise only two types of Happy Meals to children younger than 12: one with four Chicken McNuggets, apple dippers with caramel dip and low-fat white milk, or one with a hamburger, apple dippers and milk. They both meet the company-set requirement of less than 600 calories, and no more than 35 percent of calories from fat, 10 percent of calories from saturated fat or 35 percent total sugar by weight.

CSPI argues that even if those Happy Meals appear in advertisements, kids order the unhealthier meals most of the time.

The group is hoping its first lawsuit against the mega-chain will have a similar effect as its 2006 lawsuit against Kellogg that prompted the company to agree to a settlement raising the nutritional value of cereals and snacks it markets to children.

Still, some may accuse the group of extremism, arguing that it's the parents' responsibility to monitor what their children eat, not the restaurant's.

Michael Jacobson, executive director of CSPI, says it's the parents responsibility too, but he equates the toy giveaways to a door to door salesman coming to a family's house every day and asking to privately speak with the children.

"At some point parents get worn down," Jacobson says. "They don't always want to be saying no to their children. We feel like an awful lot of parents would be relieved if this one pressure was removed from them."

McDonald's also came under fire over Happy Meals earlier this year when it recalled 12 million "Shrek" drinking glasses sold with the meals. The Consumer Product Safety Commission said the levels of the carcinogen cadmium in the glasses was too high.

So...I can't seem to decide if I think this is absolutely off its rocker or not. EDIT: No, I think they're completely 'round the bend.

The group seems to feel that parents should not be held responsible for not being able to say to "Little Billy" or "Little Sara" the following, simple, not-at-all-hard-to-say-words: "No, you cannot have 640 calories for lunch."

Why do we feel the need to remove any sort of parental responsibility or culpability at the drop of a lawsuit?

Why is this not the parent's job?

I dinnae get it...It is beyond my ken.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

mmmcannibalism

Re: Anti-Obesity Group will sue McDonald's over Happy Meal t

Postby mmmcannibalism » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:35 pm UTC

"At some point parents get worn down," Jacobson says. "They don't always want to be saying no to their children. We feel like an awful lot of parents would be relieved if this one pressure was removed from them."

Because as we all know; Mcdonalds is sooooooooooooo good at advertising the kid becomes a robot that repeats "give me big mac" over and over again until fed upon seeing a commercial.

At some point we should just start raising kids in special government facilities; same amount of responsibility left with parents without having to go deal with them /sarcasm
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:08 pm UTC

When I was a kid, the toy was half the fun of going to McDonalds; the other half was the huge indoor playplace.
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:04 am UTC

Maybe we should wait until the outcome is decided before getting all hot and bothered about this. Personally, I expect the case will be dismissed.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:17 am UTC

++$_ wrote:Maybe we should wait until the outcome is decided before getting all hot and bothered about this. Personally, I expect the case will be dismissed.

yeah. The fact that the advocacy group reported their intent to sue 30 days before actually doing so points to their desire to create a media circus and get mcd's to LOOK AT THEM LOOK AT THEM! Even if the case is thrown out, they're still accomplishing their agenda of engendering bad will toward corporations.

This despite the fact that frivolous lawsuits are on the way out in America compared to, say, the early 1990s.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:19 am UTC

++$_ wrote:Maybe we should wait until the outcome is decided before getting all hot and bothered about this. Personally, I expect the case will be dismissed.

If you see smoke in your house do you check for a fire or wait and see if it gets worse?

Of course, its also a tradition here to get riled up before it is necessarily worth it.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:33 am UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:If you see smoke in your house do you check for a fire or wait and see if it gets worse?

Sometimes fires go out.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:09 am UTC

An "unpaid drone army"? Seriously?

mmmcanibalism wrote:Because as we all know; Mcdonalds is sooooooooooooo good at advertising the kid becomes a robot that repeats "give me big mac" over and over again until fed upon seeing a commercial.

Except when it comes to advertising their healthier burgers, of course. Then kids will actually order the unhealthy ones anyway, and it's all McDonald's fault for going around forcing people to order unhealthy food by not advertising it.

Anyway, I think McDonald's gets far too much flak for being "unhealthy". If you look at their nutritional information, a lot of their stuff isn't actually that bad. The McChicken, for instance, has 20% of the RDI of energy and 27% fat, which is not unreasonable assuming it's one of three meals a day. It's actually better than a lot of other restaurant meals, not to mention "snacks" like muesli bars that actually have more energy than a burger. Yes, there is some really horrible stuff - the shakes are like unhealthy in a cup - but nobody is forcing you to order them. It's like going to the supermarket and buying a hundred loaves of bread, eating it all in one sitting, and then claiming the shop forced you to do so merely by making that quantity of bread available.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:21 am UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:

If you see smoke in your house do you check for a fire or wait and see if it gets worse?
I have seen many stupid and inane lawsuits threatened. Most are not filed. Those that are filed are usually dismissed. Even those that go to trial usually are lost. Anywhere along the line in this process, the defendant could be awarded legal fees.

This is definitely a situation where fires go out most of the time.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:37 am UTC

++$_ wrote:
mmmcannibalism wrote:

I have seen many stupid and inane lawsuits threatened. Most are not filed. Those that are filed are usually dismissed. Even those that go to trial usually are lost. Anywhere along the line in this process, the defendant could be awarded legal fees.

My problem is not with the lawsuit, but the mentality that supports it. People do stuff like this because they can't be bothered to raise their children. Part of my OP is the very fact that it should be left to the parents, not the legal system, to handle their children best. This isn't a case of willfull endangerment, this is a parent telling their children no instead of buying them a 660 calorie meal. Kids need barely over twice that a day in calories according to the FDA.

TL;DR: I'm not only up-in-arms about the suit, which I think is frivolous, I'm pissed about the culture that spawns stuff like this.

The EGE wrote:

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:07 am UTC

Oregonaut wrote:
++$_ wrote:
mmmcannibalism wrote:

My problem is not with the lawsuit, but the mentality that supports it. People do stuff like this because they can't be bothered to raise their children. Part of my OP is the very fact that it should be left to the parents, not the legal system, to handle their children best. This isn't a case of willfull endangerment, this is a parent telling their children no instead of buying them a 660 calorie meal. Kids need barely over twice that a day in calories according to the FDA.

TL;DR: I'm not only up-in-arms about the suit, which I think is frivolous, I'm pissed about the culture that spawns stuff like this.

And I'm pissed off about the fact that people now consider the court-house the right place for making laws, bypassing that little thing known as the democratic process and public consensus.

Fucking lawsuits... it's one thing (that I still don't really like) when talking about what you consider human rights or Constitutional freedoms, and it's another when you just want a policy put on the books but can't be bothered to actually convince people you're right.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Malice

Postby Malice » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:37 am UTC

Parents, here's how it's done:

Child: "I want to go to McDonald's for dinner!"
Parent: "Why?"
Child: "I want the toy!"
Parent: "How about a salad for dinner, and we'll buy you a toy that isn't a cheap piece of crap that you'll be bored with in an hour?"
Child: "Yay!"

(If the response isn't "yay", well, that's what beatings are for.)

The point is, it's the parents' responsibility, and McDonalds does like 8 different things to try to sell to kids:
-they have Happy Meals in the first place
-Happy Meals come with toys
-Happy Meals come in engaging boxes
-advertising directly to kids
-playpens and colorful furniture
-everybody loves clowns
-video games, TV specials, etc. featuring the kid-friendly mascots

Telling McDonald's to stop doing all of those things seems foolish; they have the right to sell food to children. If you accept that, how do you look at that list and say, "Everything else in there is fine, but the toys have to go"?

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:44 am UTC

Malice wrote:Parents, here's how it's done:

Parent: "How about a salad for dinner, and we'll buy you a toy that isn't a cheap piece of crap that you'll be bored with in an hour?"

The point is, it's the parents' responsibility, and McDonalds does like 8 different things to try to sell to kids:
-they have Happy Meals in the first place
-Happy Meals come with toys
-Happy Meals come in engaging boxes
-advertising directly to kids
-playpens and colorful furniture
-everybody loves clowns
-video games, TV specials, etc. featuring the kid-friendly mascots

Telling McDonald's to stop doing all of those things seems foolish; they have the right to sell food to children. If you accept that, how do you look at that list and say, "Everything else in there is fine, but the toys have to go"?

Make the kid watch 'IT' the kid is now afraid of clowns a vegetarian and will never talk to strangers.
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:25 pm UTC

Gellert1984 wrote:
Malice wrote:...-everybody loves clowns

Make the kid watch 'IT' the kid is now afraid of clowns a vegetarian and will never talk to strangers.

No me gusta el payaso.
Я не люблю клоуны
Eu não gosto de palhaços
나는 어릿광대를 좋아하지 않는다
私は道化師を好まない
Non gradico i pagliacci
Δεν συμπαθώ τους κλόουν
Ich mag nicht Clowne
Je n'aime pas des clowns
我完全不喜欢小丑,我不能说太厉害的,小丑跟我不是朋友。真的。

I'm not phobic, but clowns and I don't get along. As you may have been able to notice.

The EGE wrote:

MysteryBall

Postby MysteryBall » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:42 pm UTC

> See Jack Thompson for further examples of people/groups filing lawsuits based on parental incompetence.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:50 pm UTC

Cue wrote:> See Jack Thompson for further examples of people/groups filing lawsuits based on parental incompetence.

Jack Thompson was an attention whoring fear monger. His "LOOKATMELOOKATME" antics finally got him disbarred in Flordia, IIRC. Thankfully he didn't run for political office, Luna alone knows what he would have done as a representative.

The EGE wrote:

MysteryBall

Postby MysteryBall » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:59 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:
Cue wrote:> See Jack Thompson for further examples of people/groups filing lawsuits based on parental incompetence.

Jack Thompson was an attention whoring fear monger. His "LOOKATMELOOKATME" antics finally got him disbarred in Flordia, IIRC. Thankfully he didn't run for political office, Luna alone knows what he would have done as a representative.

Please, never make me consider what that would be like...

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:59 pm UTC

Salad? All of dinner is just a salad?

That better be one damn good salad.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:03 pm UTC

Nice three-lettuce and cabbage base, sliced pepperoni and turkey, black olives, carrots, 炒面, diced eggs, maybe some cauliflower.

I've had some good salads for dinner.

The EGE wrote:

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:24 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Nice three-lettuce and cabbage base, sliced pepperoni and turkey, black olives, carrots, 炒面, diced eggs, maybe some cauliflower.

See, you've got -meat- in that salad, which makes it a scary salad-entrée hybrid. Make sure to eat it with the right Spoon/Fork hybrid or things could get ugly.

Marginally less flippant: Vegetarians and Vegans have, for the last 40 years or so, co-opted the salad as an animal-free food choice, despite the long-time existence of meat-included salads like Caesar.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:47 pm UTC

You don't need meat to make a good salad - while its a perfectly respectable salad ingredient in many salads, the fact that most places are simply incapable of making a salad taste good without meat is just... sad. But yeah, I agree there's a problem that most people think of salad as "some drab lettuce in a bowl".

Some varied lettuce and greens, some olives, pine nuts, blueberries, strawberry chunks, some feta cheese and a nice greek dressing... now, that makes a perfectly fine meal without having any meat in it.
Bdthemag: "I don't always GM, but when I do I prefer to put my player's in situations that include pain and torture. Stay creative my friends."

Bayobeasts - the Pokemon: Orthoclase project.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:53 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:
Oregonaut wrote:Nice three-lettuce and cabbage base, sliced pepperoni and turkey, black olives, carrots, 炒面, diced eggs, maybe some cauliflower.

See, you've got -meat- in that salad, which makes it a scary salad-entrée hybrid. Make sure to eat it with the right Spoon/Fork hybrid or things could get ugly.

Marginally less flippant: Vegetarians and Vegans have, for the last 40 years or so, co-opted the salad as an animal-free food choice, despite the long-time existence of meat-included salads like Caesar.

Hey, hey, hey, let's not get crazy now... No sporks, spknives, knifoons near my man-salad. I want a good, solid, four-tine, stainless-steel fork. Or a pair of 筷子, preferably marble or steel.

The EGE wrote:

General_Norris

Postby General_Norris » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:04 pm UTC

This reminds me of the guy who ate in McDonalds and Burger King at least 16 tiems a week for years and then sued the companies because they we selling "crap food".

I mean, the food is not bad. It's meat and fries are, well, fried. It's not something you should eat everyday but you shouldn't eat steaks and eggs everyday either.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:39 pm UTC

I need meat in my salad if it is to be the meal.

JoeKhol

Postby JoeKhol » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:25 pm UTC

You've clearly never had to "negotiate" with a young child. As very best, you've just taught them that they can get new toys just by asking for McDonalds. :(
Therefore, I think I am.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:31 pm UTC

"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

I just wonder, if in the unlikely event that this does go to trial, how Burger-King, Wendy's, and other chains with "Kid's Meals" will respond.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:34 pm UTC

JoeKhol wrote:

You've clearly never had to "negotiate" with a young child. As very best, you've just taught them that they can get new toys just by asking for McDonalds. :(

Honestly, this is why some things aren't subject to negotiations to me. I fully agree with Joe here, this is setting yourself up for failure in the future, in most cases.

Parent: "No."
Child: "Please?"
Parent: "No."
Child: "Why?"
Parent: "Because McDonald's is not good for you, and as an adult it is my job to teach you better than to eat at a restaurant that is not good for you."
Child: "If you loved me you'd take me to McDonald's."
Parent: "No, because I love you, I'm going to cook you food that won't give you DIE-UH-BET-UHS."
<Cue scowling, glowing-eyed, Wilford Bremley. Swell dark, Germanic organ music to crescendo. Cue thunder-pane at height of tenth chord.>

The EGE wrote:

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

I just wonder, if in the unlikely event that this does go to trial, how Burger-King, Wendy's, and other chains with "Kid's Meals" will respond.

And Cracker Jack's, and an arse-load of sweetened breakfast cereals.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

Iv

Postby Iv » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:50 pm UTC

Actually, if they can prove that McDonalds is marketing Happy Meals as a product for kids and that it is unhealthy for kids, they may have a point. Yes, parents should be careful about what they give to their kids, but helping by not giving them completely wrong informations about what's good for them can be also good.

Oh, don't look at me this way, I consider almost all advertisements as evil (and downright contrary to fair competition) and would love to see ads forbidden. Especially ads targeting kids while they still are in the learning about social interactions and information sources. Yeah, yeah, parents' job, I know. But today, parents "doing their job properly" look like complete freaks : warning against ads, against popular food, clothes, shows, video games.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:56 pm UTC

Iv wrote:Actually, if they can prove that McDonalds is marketing Happy Meals as a product for kids and that it is unhealthy for kids, they may have a point. Yes, parents should be careful about what they give to their kids, but helping by not giving them completely wrong informations about what's good for them can be also good.

Oh, don't look at me this way, I consider almost all advertisements as evil (and downright contrary to fair competition) and would love to see ads forbidden. Especially ads targeting kids while they still are in the learning about social interactions and information sources. Yeah, yeah, parents' job, I know. But today, parents "doing their job properly" look like complete freaks : warning against ads, against popular food, clothes, shows, video games.

Which means that a parent doing their job is going to raise a kid who is aware of what is out there. Advertising works because it taps into certain response mechanisms that anyone, not just advertising agencies, can exploit. So basically, a parent doing their job would be teaching their kids how not to be taken advantage of by people in general, not just as a consumer.

Also, why warn against video games? No, disregard. I don't want to derail the thread.

The EGE wrote:

Ivor Zozz

Postby Ivor Zozz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:20 pm UTC

If your kids really want to go to McDonald's, why not just placate them by going once every couple weeks or something? A few nasty McD's hamburgers and fries once in a while aren't going to kill them.

:P
The Classical I call the healthy, the Romantic the sick. - Goethe

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:30 pm UTC

Ivor Zozz wrote:If your kids really want to go to McDonald's, why not just placate them by going once every couple weeks or something? A few nasty McD's hamburgers and fries once in a while aren't going to kill them.

:P

Personally, I don't take my niece to McDonald's because I know that if I cave once, I'll be more likely to cave again. So, I focus on reinforcing positive habits and attitudes towards eating, much like her parents do, so that it isn't only her parents being a good influence.

The EGE wrote:

Ivor Zozz

Postby Ivor Zozz » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:36 pm UTC

I can understand if you're taking care of someone else's kid and their parents would object to you taking them. I don't really see the point for purism about this in general, though. It also seems like kids would accept more easily the idea that it's a "treat" to be had once in a while, rather than it being totally forbidden.
The Classical I call the healthy, the Romantic the sick. - Goethe

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:54 pm UTC

I would be at least marginally more supportive of this if you actually had to buy an utterly unhealthy meal to get the toy. As it is, I can go to McD's and get a happy meal that includes a grilled cheese sandwich, some apple slices, and a carton of milk. That's not bad at all (and actualy cheaper than the burger-and-fries meals.) It also happens to be what's featured prominantly on the menu for happy meals. Yes, there is crap available, but acquiring the toy is not linked to eating that crap food, nor does it actually appear to be encouraged.

Honestly, going to McDonalds, having above mentioned healthy happy meal, getting a fun toy, and spending some time running around in the play structure doesn't sound like a bad thing to me - in fact, it's a lot better, IMO, than KD and video games or TV. If your choosing to make the experiance an unhealthy one, that's your choice, as McDonalds is providing lots of other options with the same incentive (ie, the toy).
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:33 am UTC

Oh, don't look at me this way, I consider almost all advertisements as evil (and downright contrary to fair competition) and would love to see ads forbidden

Are you willing to accept losing many of your television channels and paying a higher price to watch television? Willing to lose every site on the internet that makes its money through adverts placed on it?

mstr007

Postby mstr007 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:40 am UTC

"McDonald's marketing has the effect of conscripting America's children into an unpaid drone army of word-of-mouth marketers, causing them to nag their parents to bring them to McDonald' Sounds like advertising revenue was worth every dime. Really folks do you believe kids wouldn't have nagged them anyways. They are kids that's what they do. McDs only making some money knowing child psychology.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:10 am UTC

mstr007 wrote:"McDonald's marketing has the effect of conscripting America's children into an unpaid drone army of word-of-mouth marketers, causing them to nag their parents to bring them to McDonald' Sounds like advertising revenue was worth every dime. Really folks do you believe kids wouldn't have nagged them anyways. They are kids that's what they do. McDs only making some money knowing child psychology.

I'm not sure "kids like toys, they will like us if we give them toys" even warrants being called child psychology.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:36 am UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:
Oh, don't look at me this way, I consider almost all advertisements as evil (and downright contrary to fair competition) and would love to see ads forbidden

Are you willing to accept losing many of your television channels and paying a higher price to watch television? Willing to lose every site on the internet that makes its money through adverts placed on it?

Indeed I am. I would also be willing to not receive all that junk mail.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:51 am UTC

4=5 wrote:
mmmcannibalism wrote:

Indeed I am. I would also be willing to not receive all that junk mail.

You're going to miss google.

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:02 am UTC

mstr007 wrote:Sounds like advertising revenue was worth every dime.

Sad truth is, all corporate media is brainwashing for profit that's why they're willing to pay so much for it. It's amusing to see so many ignore the simple fact that advertising works extremely well, and the most vulnerable groups in society should receive additional protections from it. Personally I'm more concerned about the rise of home-equity loans targeted at seniors, but frankly I'm happy to see any form of corporate brainwashing come under scrutiny.

And don't blame the parents, they're just as brainwashed as the kids. If you think you're immune, you're only deluding yourself. But hey, that's what they train you to think, so no ill-will your way, unless you're in advertising.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

Return to “News & Articles”