North Korea: Trollin' the interwebz

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

North Korea: Trollin' the interwebz

Postby H2SO4 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:40 am UTC

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/17/world ... north.html

In the last month, North Korea has posted a series of video clips on YouTube brimming with satire and vitriol against leaders in South Korea and the United States.

In one such clip, North Korea attacked Yu Myung-hwan, the South Korean foreign minister, who recently criticized “pro-North Korean youths” who voted for the opposition in the June local elections, saying, “If they like the North so much, they should go and live under Kim Jong-il.”

The clip’s narrator calls Mr. Yu a “pro-American flunky” and advised Mr. Yu to earn a living “mopping the floor of the Pentagon.”

Another clip claimed that North Korea would prevail in a war with the “American imperialists” because it was armed with nuclear-fusion technology; because of its juche, or ideology of “self-reliance”; and because of a philosophical treatise written by Kim Il-sung, the North’s founding president and the father of Kim Jong-il, who died in 1994.

“I don’t think this propaganda from the North will have any significant impact among South Koreans,” said Yoo Ho-yeol, an expert on North Korea at Korea University here. “People watch this for fun, not to be influenced.”

From my limited knowledge on opinions from South Koreans about North Koreans (and vice versa), I just find this kinda funny, imagining Kim Jong-il just sitting at his computer typing out how much he thinks USA and South Korea suck.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

Le1bn1z

Re: North Korea: Trollin' the interwebz

Postby Le1bn1z » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:20 pm UTC

Back in the day, North Korea used to take out ads in Canadian newspapers for this sort of thing, only they were written, in theory, by the Great Leader himself, and were way more funny. My Grandpa used to cut them out and keep them in a scap book for bathroom reading, and would sometimes read aloud:

....The Glorious People's Armies will crush the evil lacky yellow running dogs of the imperialist war-mongers and oppressors of the Proletariate...

These people are straight-up Mel Gibson crazy bananas. It's a shame they stopped. Jon Stewart couldn't do satire like they did of themselves.
Krong writes: Code: Select all
transubstantiate(Bread b) {
Person p = getJesusPersonInstance();
p.RenderProperties = b.RenderProperties;
free(b);
}

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:55 pm UTC

And to think, in twenty years North Korea will have developed rick-roll technology.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:19 pm UTC

I wonder how.much of this.is real craziness, and how much is a deep mutual cultural misunderstanding. South Korean advertisements can already be pretty weird to western eyes, and there has grown another huge cultural barrier on top of that between north and south Korea.

For example, how serious are they when they say that the glorious leader wrote something? Do they even intend us to believe it? My driver's licence says 'approved by the mayor', but no one intended that I take that literally.

Edit: The actual examples mentioned in the article are not even that crazy. 'pro-american flunky' might well be an accurate description of a certain south-korean minister, and while Gates might not be a 'war maniac', his predecessor was called the same by many reasonably sane Americans. Since Niall Ferguson crossed the ocean, there is even an official pro-imperialism voice in the US public debate.

Which leaves the criticism of Clinton for being a woman as the only real faux-pas

Godskalken

Postby Godskalken » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:39 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:And to think, in twenty years North Korea will have developed rick-roll technology.

North Korea is lagging behind the rest of the world in most respects, bot IT is actually not one of those respects (kinda). They're not on the internet, for sure, but they have their own self-developed network - I'm sure it's full of kim-rolls (although the penalty for such probably is 20 years in correction camp). North Korea has a quickly growing IT-outsourcing industry, though sanctions keep some countries from buying their services.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:56 am UTC

So... how will North Koreans be able to view the propaganda that North Korea posts on the intertubes? I thought web access was forbidden in North Korea. If this was for South Koreans, well, I not sure anyone really cares what insults North Korea has anyway.

Kyrn

Postby Kyrn » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:00 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:So... how will North Koreans be able to view the propaganda that North Korea posts on the intertubes? I thought web access was forbidden in North Korea. If this was for South Koreans, well, I not sure anyone really cares what insults North Korea has anyway.

And yet we comment on it regardless. Troll successful. :p
I am NOT a snake.

Opinions discussed are not necessarily the opinions of the people discussing them.

Levelheaded

Postby Levelheaded » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:22 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:I wonder how.much of this.is real craziness, and how much is a deep mutual cultural misunderstanding. South Korean advertisements can already be pretty weird to western eyes, and there has grown another huge cultural barrier on top of that between north and south Korea.

For example, how serious are they when they say that the glorious leader wrote something? Do they even intend us to believe it? My driver's licence says 'approved by the mayor', but no one intended that I take that literally.

Yes, North Koreans expect us to believe it. They literally believe that Kim Jong-Il or his father wrote this or signed that or planted this tree http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axe_murder_incident.

They have been fed so much propoganda that they think this truth is so readily apparent that the only reason Americans / South Koreans don't believe it is because we are so poisoned by lies from our governments. Not all of them buy into it, but a lot of them do (50 years of isolation & oppression that would make Stalin blush can do that to people).

This was eye opening...written by one of a few Americans to visit North Korea. In some cases he was surprised by how nice certain things were (worth noting that they only went to a few specific places), but in other cases he was shocked at how oppressed the people are. The only thing I can compare it to is an entire country of terrified battered wives.

http://www.1stopkorea.com/index.htm?nk-trip1.htm~mainframe

CorruptUser wrote:So... how will North Koreans be able to view the propaganda that North Korea posts on the intertubes? I thought web access was forbidden in North Korea. If this was for South Koreans, well, I not sure anyone really cares what insults North Korea has anyway.

It's not for North Koreans, it's for South Koreans and Americans and the rest of the world. Sadly, there are some people outside of North Korea who take it seriously. Take the typical "the government is evil and manipulating everyone, man" college freshman who hates everything, and have him see this instead of reading Marx or Ayn Rand.

It's a crapshoot which load of bull s/he is going to buy into.

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:18 pm UTC

Levelheaded wrote:Yes, North Koreans expect us to believe it. They literally believe that Kim Jong-Il or his father wrote this or signed that or planted this tree http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axe_murder_incident.

But that is very much an example of what I meant. When they say " "because Kim Il Sung personally planted it and nourished it and it’s growing under his supervision.", they are obviously not seriously claiming that Kim comes in every day to watch this random tree and give it water. Everyone present there had just spend years literally watching that tree, and if Kim watered the tree, they would have noticed.

Vellyr

Postby Vellyr » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:51 am UTC

Why else would they say things like that? I would say rather, they don't think too hard about it. To the higher-ups that may have just been an excuse to antagonize the Americans, but to the rank-and-file soldier, yes, that is actually what they believe. They have been raised from birth as part of Kim Il-sung's cult of personality. They literally believe that he's watching over them and everything in the country, including that tree. It's honestly not nearly as absurd as certain other religions :roll: .

I wonder how.much of this.is real craziness, and how much is a deep mutual cultural misunderstanding.

I don't think there are any cultural differences so deep that they cause misunderstandings on that scale. Remember there are still people alive that remember when Korea was one country.

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:46 am UTC

But believing Kim Il Sung had divine powers is a much greater cultural change than using his name to represent the country.

The Dutch navy is called the Royal Navy, and if you talk to people you might get the impression that they believe the queen literally owns the place. Ships are called Her Majesty's Something, they are Officers in the Service of the Queen, etc. When they speak to foreigners (not to mention hostile foreigners), they are even more likely to stick to the protocol.

And that's for a place where the only power the queen has over the navy is the right to throw a bottle of champagne to the larger boats. In North Korea, Kim did own the place, and people are even more likely to stick to the official phrases.

Quantum Potatoid
Location: May only be known if velocity isn't. Same rules apply with taste and texture.

Postby Quantum Potatoid » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:53 pm UTC

Great, now they have a Facebook account!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38785184/

EDIT: Better, more direct link.
Last edited by Quantum Potatoid on Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"There's nothing wrong with having voices in your head, it's when they leave you out of the conversation you have to worry"
Spoiler:
iThis Cheese is Burning Me!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:17 am UTC

Quantum Potatoid wrote:Great, now they have a Facebook account!
http://technology-science.newsvine.com/ ... s-facebook

Oh, well they can be friends with Justin Bieber now to arrange that concert.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:55 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Quantum Potatoid wrote:Great, now they have a Facebook account!
http://technology-science.newsvine.com/ ... s-facebook

Oh, well they can be friends with Justin Bieber now to arrange that concert.

This.
Spoiler:

Return to “News & Articles”