Russian Ninja arrested in Italy

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Ghona

Russian Ninja arrested in Italy

Postby Ghona » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:56 pm UTC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6746051.stm

And people told me ninjas didn't exist :)
If you're taking me too seriously, you probably are making a mistake.

The Dork Knight

Postby The Dork Knight » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:55 pm UTC

I mean, what boy DOESN'T idolize England's most famous ninja, Robin Hood?
The point that Darwinists ignore, however, is this: Living things were created!

Solt

Postby Solt » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:53 pm UTC

It says the ninja was outwitted. But all that happened was some guy accidentally fired his rifle when he tripped, then called the police. How is that being outwitted?
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:41 am UTC

Yeah, that's amazing. Here's some copypasta about a similar event (the archive of the newspaper it's from is not free, so i found the full text).
Four McDonald's employees escaped a terrifying ordeal unscathed yesterday morning, after a thug armed with a samurai sword crawled into their restaurant through a drive-through window. "No one was injured or anything, so that's fantastic," a store manager said later in the day, adding the employees in question had all been sent home to get some rest.

"They are a little shaken up, though."

The bizarre incident began just before 5:30 a.m., when a car pulled into the drive-through lane of the McDonald's at Pembina Highway and Chancellor Drive, Winnipeg police Const. Shelly Glover said yesterday.

The car triggered an in-store mechanism signalling someone was at the window, but when a staff member attended, they weren't asked to take any breakfast orders.

HELD SWORD TO THROAT

Instead, a man armed with a samurai-style sword and a metal pipe confronted the employee, eventually forcing his way through the window and into the restaurant, Glover said.

Once inside, the suspect held the sword to a 17-year-old manager's throat while ordering the other staffers -- two of them 17-year-olds, the other a 31-year-old -- to lie on the floor.

"This was a very serious robbery," Glover said. "Robberies are thefts that involve violence, and this is an extreme example."

Still armed with the sword, the bandit then led the manager to the back, where a second suspect was given entry through a rear door.

The two then bound the employees with duct tape while the manager turned over an undisclosed amount of cash. The manager was also bound with tape before the two suspects fled the scene.

After managing to free themselves, the employees called police.

Glover said all four workers escaped injury, but will likely be scarred nonetheless.

"This was a very traumatic incident for these victims," she said. "They're going to be experiencing the emotional impacts of these events."

The restaurant's afternoon manager, who asked not to be named, said the last incident of such severity he could recall took place almost a decade ago, when a late-night employee in Westwood was handcuffed to his own car while a female manager was robbed at gunpoint.

Discussing yesterday's holdup, Glover said: "We have seen other incidents where swords were used, but this one was certainly unique in that a sword and a pipe were used by a suspect who still managed to crawl through a drive-through window."

A police investigation will check store surveillance cameras to see whether they captured any images of the suspects, Glover said.

The two men were wearing balaclavas, sunglasses and dark clothing, she added.

Anyone with information relating to the robbery is asked to call police at 986-6219 or Crime Stoppers at 786-TIPS (786-8477)
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:09 pm UTC

Man, that would really suck to be a 31-year old man working at McDonald's for a 17-year-old manager.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Omegaton

Re:

Postby Omegaton » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:09 pm UTC

Solt wrote:It says the ninja was outwitted. But all that happened was some guy accidentally fired his rifle when he tripped, then called the police. How is that being outwitted?

I was thinking the same thing...

Random832

Re: Russian Ninja arrested in Italy

Postby Random832 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:01 pm UTC

So... his weapons of choice are a bow and a knife (not swords, shuriken, or anything like that), and says he was inspired by Robin Hood.

The media is calling him a "ninja".

FAIL.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

Given the number of stories that involve Katana, even after referring to them as Samurai swords, that still call a person involved a wanna-be Ninja you'd think that Japan should just change it's name to Ninjan, since everything that comes from there is obviously related to Ninjas. And it would make my Ninjastation 3 that much cooler. I'd be driving around in my Ninjassan truck. and when I don't feel like cooking I'll have Ninja-Noodles instead of Ramen.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:22 pm UTC

Guys, you just let a spambot necro a TWO AND HALF YEAR OLD THREAD.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:Given the number of stories that involve Katana, even after referring to them as Samurai swords, that still call a person involved a wanna-be Ninja you'd think that Japan should just change it's name to Ninjan, since everything that comes from there is obviously related to Ninjas. And it would make my Ninjastation 3 that much cooler. I'd be driving around in my Ninjassan truck. and when I don't feel like cooking I'll have Ninja-Noodles instead of Ramen.

Ninjamen. Delicious.

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:Guys, you just let a spambot necro a TWO AND HALF YEAR OLD THREAD.

A rare story! Ninja hold-upper? uses ninja sword? It's really unique!

You can't say no!
milk from space is good for you!

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:37 pm UTC

Spacemilk wrote:
Princess Marzipan wrote:Guys, you just let a spambot necro a TWO AND HALF YEAR OLD THREAD.

A rare story! Ninja hold-upper? uses ninja sword? It's really unique!

You can't say no!

Who can resist a Zombie-Ninja thread. It just needs pirate-robo-monkeys.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:43 pm UTC

It said active topics - spambots shouldn't be considered 'active'.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:20 pm UTC

Even after two and a half years, the Ninja still pops back up.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Woxor

Postby Woxor » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:45 pm UTC

Ha ha, I love that the ninja rode a bicycle.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:00 pm UTC

This is going to be like that duck thread, isn't it?

Random832 wrote:It said active topics - spambots shouldn't be considered 'active'.

There's no difference between the "active thread" list and the "new post" list - not sure why there are 2 in the first place
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Return to “News & Articles”