Racist Republican is Racist

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

lesliesage

Racist Republican is Racist

Postby lesliesage » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:29 am UTC

Republican Jim Russell, who is running for Congress in New York's 18th, wrote:It has been demonstrated that finches raised by foster parents of a different species of finch will later exhibit a lifelong sexual attraction toward the alien species. One wonders how a child’s sexual imprinting mechanism is affected by forcible racial integration and near continual exposure to media stimuli promoting interracial contact. The most serious implication of human sexual imprinting for our genetic future is that it would establish the destructiveness of school integration, especially in the middle and high-school years. One can only wonder to what degree the advocates of school integration, such as former NAACP attorney Jack Greenberg, were conscious of this scientific concept. It also compounds the culpability of media moguls who deliberately popularize miscegenation in films directed toward adolescents and pre-adolescents. In the midst of this onslaught against our youth, parents need to be reminded that they have a natural obligation, as essential as providing food and shelter, to instill in their children an acceptance of appropriate ethnic boundaries for socialization and for marriage.
Yes, that's whom the Republican primary voters picked in NY's 18th, including Westchester County. And he has a PhD in historical theology.

johnny_7713

Re: Racist Republican is Racist

Postby johnny_7713 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:52 am UTC

When /if I have children I will be sure to instill in them an acceptance of appropriate ethnic boundaries for socialization and marriage: i.e. none.

So how much of this nonsense actually made its way into his campaign platform?

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:23 am UTC

/twitch
So basically, we need to be aware of the potential danger that if a kid of race X is raised by a family of race Y, then the kid will start to find race Y physically attractive? ONOZ!!!111

Am I missing something, or is that basically his entire argument? We have to stop cross-adoption, and exposure to other races, or it would lead to cross-breeding? I guess in an effort to prove that evolution is false, he's also working to prevent it from happening to humanity in the future....

EDIT: The guy likes T.S. Eliot? Okay, that's two strikes against him, now....
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:54 am UTC

No, that's not his entire argument, you missed the conspiracy theory about the liberal media brainwashing people to think that interracial relationships are desirable.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:58 am UTC

Aikanaro wrote:/twitch
So basically, we need to be aware of the potential danger that if a kid of race X is raised by a family of race Y, then the kid will start to find race Y physically attractive? ONOZ!!!111

Am I missing something, or is that basically his entire argument? We have to stop cross-adoption, and exposure to other races, or it would lead to cross-breeding? I guess in an effort to prove that evolution is false, he's also working to prevent it from happening to humanity in the future....

EDIT: The guy likes T.S. Eliot? Okay, that's two strikes against him, now....

I think he's outlining a bold new agenda: people keep comparing homosexual marriage to interracial marriage so its time to make interracial marriage illegal again.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

juststrange

Postby juststrange » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:23 pm UTC

Well, you know, its cause them dark skinned fellas are a different species than us light skinned folks. At least thats the analogy I draw from the bird thing.

This is right up there with the Klan taking the rainbow as one of thier symbols (all the seperate colors of the rainbow are beautiful; if they were all mixed together, it would lose its beauty). The reality is that from my experience, I'd say 95+% of the folks I know date/marry within their race. I don't care who you are into, just pointing out that it's not some rampant epidemic. 5% is a lot more than 0%, but it's still not enough to flip out over (if thats something that bothers you at all)

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:25 pm UTC

Someone should just up and ask the guy if his next step is to block interfamilial marriage/breeding. After all, we need to establish and maintain appropriate boundaries!
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:43 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:No, that's not his entire argument, you missed the conspiracy theory about the liberal media brainwashing people to think that interracial relationships are desirable.

...Stop running for congress, Dad. You don't even live in new york.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:36 pm UTC

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but....
:shock:
Seriously?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

savanik

Postby savanik » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:42 pm UTC

Hmm. This guy is pretty out in left field with that. But what are his fiscal policies? There's a lot of people in the country who don't care what politicians are saying about social issues right now.

Let's see... 'Stop immigrants taking our jobs.' 'Cut imports by imposing tariffs on China.' 'Eliminate integration.' .... yeah, I'm not seeing anything in there about 'cut spending'. Screw that guy.
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

frezik

Postby frezik » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:05 pm UTC

Don't knock him, he's just trying to secure the Doughface vote for a potential run for the White House in 1820.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Garm

Postby Garm » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:21 pm UTC

savanik wrote:Hmm. This guy is pretty out in left field with that.

I'd say that it's more he's way out in right field.

At this point it's all just semantics tho'. :P

But what are his fiscal policies? There's a lot of people in the country who don't care what politicians are saying about social issues right now.

You'd like to think that but it's not true. If fiscal policy mattered as much as we'd see tea party candidates or actual GOP candidates (they're one and the same at this point) running on a purely fiscal platform. Instead we've got people like O'Donnel and Angle, barking about abortion, gambling, drinking, homo sex, and masturbation. Don't fool yourself, this supposed turn to fiscal issues is all just a ploy.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Not A Raptor

Postby Not A Raptor » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:29 pm UTC

Once more, I am saddened by the choice between incompetent and insane.
Van wrote:I like simple games.

Like Wizardry.

WARNING: Is acting like NaR.
Kellsbells: NAR is a sillypants
Not_A_Raptor: :p
Kellsbells: That is my expert assessment

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:52 pm UTC

More and more I believe the republicans are just saying anything to try and gain power.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:24 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:More and more I believe the republicans are just saying anything to try and gain power.

Unlike the Democrats [/sarcasm].

savanik

Postby savanik » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:35 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:More and more I believe the republicans are just saying anything to try and gain power.

I don't even really think that's going to help him get elected, frankly. But either he believes these points personally, or he believes his constituency wants to hear it. Either way, he's still a nut, and doesn't understand what this country is looking for.

Garm wrote:If fiscal policy mattered as much as we'd see tea party candidates or actual GOP candidates (they're one and the same at this point) running on a purely fiscal platform.

Well if we're not seeing any candidates doing this, and it's something we really want, why the heck don't we hunt up some people willing to do this and run them as independents? I'd go in on that. We could call it the 'sanity' party.
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

frezik

Postby frezik » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:37 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:

No need for sarcasm, the statement is actually true. Mostly because the Democrats are so disillusioned that they aren't saying much of anything except "we suck less".
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:43 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:

Yeah, they're both frequently full of it. The problem is that the Republicans seem to be favoring an increasingly... violent and exclusionary (for lack of better adjectives) rhetoric than they used to (say two decades ago). Combined with a lack of decorum one might expect from petulant children it's really reflecting badly on the party as a whole.

Worse still is that there seems to be -just enough- vocal support from the extreme right for this nonsense to continue to seem like a good idea by conservative party politicians.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:02 pm UTC

I would just like to point out that I am almost, but not entirely, unlike a finch.

I mean, if he's just arguing that humans should not be promiscuous with other species of homos, then I agree. That being said, people of different colors are still people. That's like saying that dogs should not breed with other dogs. Same species, regardless of the coat and various other qualities.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:09 pm UTC

No intermarriages and no masturbation. Aren't they supposed to be against big brother and supportive of our freedoms?

I thought I could make a better joke out of that but I'm hungry and shut up!

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:12 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:I would just like to point out that I am almost, but not entirely, unlike a finch.

About 325 million years of different, if timetree.com is to be believed.

Though this guy is probably using the "about a day" estimate, instead.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:17 pm UTC

No, it's pretty clear from his references to the NAACP and "the destructiveness of school integration"that those uppity former slaves are polluting the purity of White Christian Blood, and there's a cabal of Evil Media Executives (probably wearing black robes when we're not looking) who somehow profit by leading good white children (think of the children!) down the path of sin with savages.

... yeahh.... Apparently Time travel is possible and has moved someone from the Victorian era to modern day, and this one just happened to escape the lab.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:39 pm UTC

Wait, so is he saying that if we allow our children to be raised by finches, they will want to have sex with a finch? I have to agree, I think human-finch copulation is a bad thing. Humans: keep it in your pants. Finches: if you're going to be raising our children, start wearing pants.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:43 pm UTC

Isn't like, seventy percent of the airwaves controlled by Rupert Moredeath?
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:24 pm UTC

That's funny, I was under the impression that interracial relationships are still portrayed far less commonly than same-race pairings in TV and movies.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:31 pm UTC

Guys, look on the bright side. He's using evolutionary arguments. The republicans are starting to accept evolution. This is big news!
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:44 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Guys, look on the bright side. He's using evolutionary arguments. The republicans are starting to accept evolution. This is big news!
Social Darwinism is not really a step up from creationism.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:53 pm UTC

Isn't Social Darwinism where Creationism falls after it trips up on the Fossil Record?

The EGE wrote:

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:09 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Isn't Social Darwinism where Creationism falls after it trips up on the Fossil Record?
Well, only you wait a few million years for evolution to take effect.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:16 pm UTC

Clearly, since ducks will imprint on ping pong balls, we need to keep our impressionable youth from seeing sports of any kind- otherwise they might turn into sick, twisted fetishists who try to mount sports equipment.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:22 pm UTC

This just in Vaniver is against the University of Oregon Tennis Table Team.

The EGE wrote:

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:23 pm UTC

Against is just another way of saying secretly in cahoots! This confrontations is nothing but media bliss for them I says!

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

I thought he was going to extrapolate the finches to homosexuals (i.e. being raised around homosexuality causes it) but comparing it to interracial stuff, wow, that takes balls.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:This just in Vaniver is against the University of Oregon Tennis Table Team.

That many toned, sweaty people, grunting in tandem and wielding... paddles?

Nothing good can come of that. Nothing.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:39 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:This just in Vaniver is against the University of Oregon Tennis Table Team.

Shouldn't that be table tennis team?

When you say 'tennis table team' I think of entirely different kind of activity altogether. And while I can see how the table tennis table would be an interesting deviation from the more normal bed or kitchen table, it seems a bit excessive to form a team for it.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:41 pm UTC

Having reviewed a team photo, I continue my stance of opposition to them and their not being attractive enough.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:03 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:That's funny, I was under the impression that interracial relationships are still portrayed far less commonly than same-race pairings in TV and movies.

I take it you mean disproportionately less? I would imagine that interracial marriages are in fact less common.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

engr

Postby engr » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:34 am UTC

Comparing different races to different species is ridiculous.
However, there's a difference between racism and racialism. If this politician says that interracial marriage, or even desegregation of schools is a bad idea, that does not automatically make him a racist. Now, if he says that one race is actually superior/inferior to another, that's a whole different story.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. Gilbert K. Chesterton

Levi

Postby Levi » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:00 am UTC

The Dictionary wrote:racialism |ˈrā sh əˌlizəm|
noun
Another term for racism.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:53 am UTC

engr wrote:If this politician says that interracial marriage, or even desegregation of schools is a bad idea, that does not automatically make him a racist. Now, if he says that one race is actually superior/inferior to another, that's a whole different story.

Racism is not limited to calling one race inferior and another superior. Fredrickson's definition, I feel, is useful here.

George M. Fredrickson, Racism: A Short History (Melbourne: Scribe Publications, 2002), 9. wrote:My theory or conception of racism, therefore, has two components: difference and power. It originates from a mindset that regards “them” as different from “us” in ways that are permanent and unbridgeable... In all manifestations of racism from the mildest to the most severe, what is being denied is the possibility that the racializers and the racialized can coexist in the same society, except perhaps on the basis of domination and subordination.

Clearly, our happy republican is capitalizing on difference and arguing that difference needs to be maintained. Yes, that is called racism.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Return to “News & Articles”