Right wing perspective taking a hit from genetics

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

smw543

Re: Right wing perspective taking a hit from genetics

Postby smw543 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:54 pm UTC

Kimmo wrote:*sigh*

Would it help if I repeated myself?

Kimmo wrote:Okay, I have to admit I failed to cast a critical eye over this piece due to my own bias...

Seriously, how much fucking capitulation is enough.

Sorry. :oops: Sleep deprivation really does a number on my reading comprehension.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

quantumcat42

Postby quantumcat42 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:30 pm UTC

Kimmo, it's not just the fact that you posted an article you apparently didn't even read. It's the fanfare of condescending logorrhea "snidely denigrating" any person falling right of center, culminating in a melodramatic rhetorical question about the utter bankruptcy of democracy. If it's a thoughtful conversation you want... just a suggestion... don't masturbate on the board first.

phonon266737

Postby phonon266737 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:44 pm UTC

This is..in one word...stupid.

Who says "You are poor/depressed because you were born that way - don't worry, it's not your fault"
Not to mention that, from the aspect of entitlement programs, a finding of a genetic link would support entitlement spending - and my understanding is that you are trying to claim this article supports the "left wing" agenda of expanding entitlement programs.

The conservative viewpoint is that giving these people (those who are fully capable of being productive) a safety net check, prevents them from being productive. But the main point is that lots of people could be productive who are not!

Kimmo

Postby Kimmo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:16 am UTC

quantumcat42 wrote:Kimmo, it's not just the fact that you posted an article you apparently didn't even read. It's the fanfare of condescending logorrhea "snidely denigrating" any person falling right of center, culminating in a melodramatic rhetorical question about the utter bankruptcy of democracy. If it's a thoughtful conversation you want... just a suggestion... don't masturbate on the board first.

That's a somewhat antagonistic overstatement, but check it out - I actually concede the gist of it.

TBH, the OP is representative of a philosophical stance I've actually moved on from, when I was surer about stuff and more inclined to indulge in polemics... and that wasn't so long ago; it's a throwback. I've been doing some tripping over the last year or so, and I'm still trying to integrate a lot of stuff.

So did I apologise already, or does this have to do it.

...But as for that last... isn't that what it says on the Sound and Fury can? : p

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:46 am UTC

This is just a story saying that enviroment has more of an effect on determining mental illness then genetics.

No duh.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Return to “News & Articles”