Rand Paul Supporters attack woman from MoveOn [TW violence]

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

mochafairy

Rand Paul Supporters attack woman from MoveOn [TW violence]

Postby mochafairy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:25 pm UTC

link
Josh Green flagged an incident that occurred outside of the Rand Paul-Jack Conway debate in Lexington, Kentucky Monday night that's already dominating the news in Kentucky and could easily make headlines nationally.

As the candidates arrived, a group of Paul supporters pulled a female MoveOn member to the ground and held her there as another Paul supporter stomped on the back of her head and neck.

According to the Louisville Courier Journal, "Lauren Valle of MoveOn.org approached Paul and tried to give him an "employee of the month award" from Republicorp...a fake business MoveOn created to symbolize what it says is the merger of the GOP and business interests controlling political speech."

The whole thing was caught on video.

*video*

At the end of the clip, Valle is alert and speaking with the press. However, MoveOn's political director Ilyse Hogue tells TPM that Valle is in the hospital and they're awaiting word on her condition. We'll get you more information when we have it.

We have a call out to the Lexington police department's public affairs office for further comment. According to WTVQ, an assault report was filed but there have been no arrests.

In a separate incident, according to the Kentucky Post, "a Conway supporter stepped on the foot of a female Rand supporter, who recently had foot surgery. The woman was wearing a surgical boot, but after the injury, her incision was cut open. Police say she refused medical treatment and also filed an assault report."
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Re: Rand Paul Supporters attack woman from MoveOn [TW violen

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:33 pm UTC

People need to settle down. :shock:

PeterCai

Postby PeterCai » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:35 pm UTC

i actually like rand paul a lot...

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:45 pm UTC

Wow, let's stomp on the people we disagree with. :|
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:46 pm UTC

Poor state. Both candidates are so astoundingly idiotic and petty if you've watched their debates, it's really a toss up of a choice.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

frezik

Postby frezik » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:07 pm UTC

Take it down a notch several notches, America.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:07 pm UTC

Okay, THAT does it! All of America; it's corner time.

That's right, I'm talking to you, you and you, and myself as well. A few of you have to go and beat up your fellow citizens so now -everyone- gets a time out.

Go sit in the corner, face the corner, and you're going to sit there for an hour and think about what you've been doing and how it's making your dear political process cry.

No fidgeting, and put that gameboy away, this is a punishment. I said put that away, if I have to say it again I'm confiscating it and taking away your internet -AND- TV privileges for a month.

And meanwhile we're taking away all your tax monies and campaign contributions, if you can't play nice with it you don't get to keep it. Maybe when you all settle down you'll earn the right to get it back again, but not until you can prove you're mature enough to handle it responsibly.

And you knuckleheads broadcasting hyperbole in states you don't even live in; You're grounded! You broadcast anything outside your own state and it's off to military school for you!

------------------

Just holy f-ing-s41t. Bunch of g. d. children. Apparently we in the U.S. need a nanny state to raise he citizenry properly, because apparently a metric ton of biological parent's couldn't be bothered to raise their children to become actual adults, and it's entirely possible that some of them went on to raise the second generation Not-Adult Ver.2.0.

Yeah, I know, I know, it's not like this is the only period in history where people rioted and tarred-and-feathered and beat the crap out of protesters and generally made jackasses of themselves over the political process...

... But still, in the last 16 years that I've had the right to vote, and the last 10 years of widespread internet use and news reporting, I don't recall any mid-term election that's resulted in this kind of physically violent bullshit and overall childishness, hell the Denver GOP campaign building was vandalized twice in as many days this weekend. Last presidential election got close to this kind of childishness, and the health-care town halls had downright inappropriate shows of force.

---

If corner time and taking away toys doesn't do it maybe it's time for swattings with rolled newspaper and choke-collars.

After that it's electric fences and cattle-prods.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:11 pm UTC

I for one am not convinced it isn't a secret scheme by skynet to weaken us before the singularity becomes known.

HermanBlount

Postby HermanBlount » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:58 pm UTC

Incompetent parenting -> Nanny government
Nanny government -> Incompetent parenting

Which is the cause and which is the effect?
It's AFTER the end of the world. Don't you know that yet?

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:40 pm UTC

HermanBlount wrote:Incompetent parenting -> Nanny government
Nanny government -> Incompetent parenting

Which is the cause and which is the effect?

Are you sure they are related?
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:40 pm UTC

This is horrible. It is very good that she only had minor injuries, considering the damage that could have easily been done.
It makes me sick.

This story is being updated pretty fast now, but as a person who works with the nervous system watching the video when he applied more pressure to her head with his foot almost made me sick.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:15 pm UTC

So I take it that America Politics are becoming a blood sport now? Both parties and those affiliated with them beat each other up and the last man standing at the end gets to rule America?

Makes me glad I live in Canada.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:26 pm UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:So I take it that America Politics are becoming a blood sport now?

They were always a bloodsport. During the early 19th century, fights broke out in the House of Representatives. A war in which 600,000 Americans died was fought over who was the correct President of the US (it's a bit of an oversimplification, but the 1860 election triggered the Civil War). It's just that in recent years, the massive blood has been replaced with intrigue and so forth.

Triangle_Man wrote:Makes me glad I live in Canada.

You really think Canada's politics are that much more clean?

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:41 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
Triangle_Man wrote:So I take it that America Politics are becoming a blood sport now?
They were always a bloodsport. During the early 19th century, fights broke out in the House of Representatives. A war in which 600,000 Americans died was fought over who was the correct President of the US (it's a bit of an oversimplification, but the 1860 election triggered the Civil War). It's just that in recent years, the massive blood has been replaced with intrigue and so forth.
Triangle_Man wrote:Makes me glad I live in Canada.
You really think Canada's politics are that much more clean?
Well, we just had an election yesterday, and I'm pretty sure we didn't have people curb stomping each other.

But, other than that... we do have our fair share of idiots, and fanatics. But, we're not as rabid this year as it seems the Americans have been. But, maybe if it were a federal election we'd be more angry and less apathetic.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:05 pm UTC

Disgusting; not entirely surprising(to see an incident during a heated election).

Anyone think making our politicians actually fight to the death for office would be something of an improvement?
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:07 pm UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:Disgusting; not entirely surprising(to see an incident during a heated election).

Anyone think making our politicians actually fight to the death for office would be something of an improvement?

Anything that makes it less likely for rational, sane people to seek office is a bad idea, I think.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

sophyturtle
I'll go put my shirt back on for this kind of shock. No I won't. I'll get my purse.

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:07 pm UTC

I, personally, would not like to be generalized with this man. Not only do I not agree with his politics, but I certainly disagree with his behavior.

One person being horrible does not mean we all are. Still, it does give us an idea that maybe looking at the culture involved in this is important. Political stances being so militant that the other side does not deserve respect is a problem.
The 'culture war' might focus on abortion, but it certainly does not stop there.
Last edited by sophyturtle on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I want to get to a place where I am neither conforming nor rebelling but simply being.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:13 pm UTC

Sorry. I didn't mean to imply all Americans are like this. But, tensions have been higher in your election than it has been in a while. that's all.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:19 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Sorry. I didn't mean to imply all Americans are like this. But, tensions have been higher in your election than it has been in a while. that's all.

Your original post was not out of line. Tension in U.S. politics has had some really heated spots, and I'm assuming your statement about Canada is accurate, since I haven't heard much about it. (No news is good news assumption here.)

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:25 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Sorry. I didn't mean to imply all Americans are like this. But, tensions have been higher in your election than it has been in a while. that's all.
*looks at tea party*

Carry on.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:26 pm UTC

Eh. Ontario did a municipal election, and of course, there was horrible voter turnout.

I'm a little angry that the person who became mayor of Toronto was elected because he's a bigot, but other than that, pretty lackluster.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

There are 10 times as many Americans as there are Canadians, so incidents like should be 10 times as likely.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:32 pm UTC

Oh, I certainly was not taking you to paint me with the crazy 'I am bigger so I am right' group. I think for me it is much more how this is being looked at. We have 2 grown men restraining and assaulting a woman. They say they perceived her as a physical threat to their candidate. This is interesting, because liberal groups seem to be much more up on the incriminating videos than the physical threats (I don't know of liberals bringing weapons to rallies for example).
Maybe watching the documentary on Dr. Tiller's murder reminded me about the hate and fear being used to try and control Americans. It is extreme, comparing people who do not commit genocide to those who have on a regular basis. Making these comparisons with apparent sincerity and trying to get that level of emotion up in the general public.

And part of me sees this and how she was first manhandled enough to lose her wig before she ended up on the ground. I am irritated about how Paul is happy that she was not injured when she has a swollen face, sore neck and shoulder, and a concussion. About how he is saying 'now now, both sides need to stay away from the violence' as if it is an equal level on both sides.

This is a problem and pretending that it is either totally isolated and odd or totally normal and American. Maybe? It is a problem I am having. I also admit to being taken in by the culture war. I have a hard time not seeing people actively trying to remove my rights as a personal attack, and I still don't bully people.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:51 pm UTC

sophyturtle wrote: They say they perceived her as a physical threat to their candidate. This is interesting,

because it doesn't explain why he stomped on her head.
Tim Profitt wrote:I’m sorry that it came to that, and I apologize if it appeared overly forceful, but I was concerned about Rand’s safety.

One of the worst "apologies" ever. What is his problem?

sophyturtle wrote:About how [Paul] is saying 'now now, both sides need to stay away from the violence' as if it is an equal level on both sides.

Well, there was unnecessary violence coming from both sides. Harming body parts that are clearly recovering from surgery isn't exactly playing nice. We just didn't get a video to be outraged at.
The Paul for Senate campaign is extremely disappointed in, and condemns the actions of a supporter last night outside the KET debate. Whatever the perceived provocation, any level of aggression or violence is deplorable, and will not be tolerated by our campaign. The Paul campaign has disassociated itself from the volunteer who took part in this incident,...

I think that he gave a fairly strongly worded response. He did weaken it a little with mentioning "the other guy's supporters were mean, too", but that is not unexpected. Now if he refunds the money that Tim donated, we'll know he's serious. Somehow I doubt he'll go that far.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:12 pm UTC

While it is horrible to damage something already injured, feet and heads are vastly different. Stomping on them have different effects. One of those body parts you can live without. I wonder about how badly the foot was injured, since medical attention was turned away on that one. I simply don't know enough about it.

Still, this guy is not just a volunteer, but a county coordinator. And pretending to distance now is silly after spending all that money to include him in ads.

This man is not Paul, but they have been a bit closer than people let on. He says he disapproves of the violence, and I am pleased to see he is at least smart enough to play lip service to it.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:21 pm UTC

I agree attacking the head is much worse than attacking the foot. I didn't say the violence on both sides was equal. In fact, Rand Paul's apology was I thought, weaker because they mentioned it. We are in agreement here.
sophyturtle wrote:Still, this guy is not just a volunteer, but a county coordinator. And pretending to distance now is silly after spending all that money to include him in ads.

Was a county coordinator. In the link you gave it states:
removing him from his role as Bourbon County campaign coordinator and banning him from campaign events.

That's more than pretending to distance themselves. Really, now all they need to do is refund his donations and adjust any new ads coming out. Obviously they couldn't change the one in today's paper. And when they made those ads, they probably didn't realize he was the type of person to stomp on people's heads without reason.

sophyturtle

Postby sophyturtle » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:29 pm UTC

Роберт wrote: type of person to stomp on people's heads without reason.
I am not sure how to properly create a test for this. Like, have people walk through a room full of napping people and see what happens?

StNowhere

Postby StNowhere » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:31 pm UTC

sophyturtle wrote:
Роберт wrote: type of person to stomp on people's heads without reason.
I am not sure how to properly create a test for this. Like, have people walk through a room full of napping people and see what happens?

"OK, Bob, stomping on one guy's head when you trip, that's an accident. Stomping on seventeen people's heads, three of them by jumping with both feet? I don't think you're right for my campaign."

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:19 am UTC

I have to vote for one of these two fools. And I'm going to have to live with the winner for six years. Now I don't like Rand Paul but look at the hit he just took. I think Move On couldn't be happier with how it turned out. My guess is that it won't make much difference though.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:58 am UTC

I don't think anyone is happy to see a campaign manager involved in political violence. But seeing as how it happened, might as well use it. I'm curious to see if this really changes anything though - as of yesterday 538 had Paul as a 88.3% favorite to win, have to see later this week after some new polling data is released.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

badmartialarts

Postby badmartialarts » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 am UTC

At this point, Rand could have his men wear jackboots and black shirts and probably still win. The people aren't voting for him, they are voting AGAINST his opponent. :/

Dangermouse

Postby Dangermouse » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:20 am UTC

He probably thought that the constitution protects the right to curb stomp as political free speech.

Korrente

Postby Korrente » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:25 am UTC

morriswalters wrote:I have to vote for one of these two fools...

Me too... Or we could just not vote for anyone in that race. That may be better than potentially having a hand in something terrible.

I'm not surprised at this at all. What's great is that the man will almost certainly be able to justify his actions to himself and sleep well because of it, likely in the way that was ninja'd above.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:01 am UTC

Please vote if you can.

I know the options are between crap and shit, as it is with many elections it seems, but not voting is doing nothing. It is passively letting these people continue to create the culture that they've fostered.

At least by voting, you're attempting to let politicians know that this type of behavior is not acceptable, not from anyone.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:23 am UTC

You could always void your ballot...
Rice Puddin.

Darkscull

Postby Darkscull » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:17 pm UTC

mochafairy wrote:At least by voting, you're attempting to let politicians know that this type of behavior is not acceptable, not from anyone.

Whatever you're attempting that just lets them know that it doesn't matter actually matter that much in the long run, if one of them takes a hit this time, they'll just wait till next time, and keep playing the game.

Rinsaikeru wrote:You could always void your ballot...

That is telling them that their behaviour is not acceptable, any of them (the curb stomping is obviously the worst thing, but they're all being bastards, all the time).
Physicists do it in an excited state.
m/bi/UK/Ⓐ/chaotic good
b. 1988 d. 20xx

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:39 pm UTC

You could also curb-stomp some Rand Paul supporters, and try to turn this into an all out war...

Spoiler:
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:02 pm UTC

You could always vote third party. I'm sure there's other stuff on your ballot anyway, so you should vote anyway, as long as you're there.

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:52 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:You could always vote third party. I'm sure there's other stuff on your ballot anyway, so you should vote anyway, as long as you're there.

You can always write in as well.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:40 pm UTC

Now the stomper has said he'd like an apology from the stompee.
the article wrote:And when asked if he would apologize to Valle. "I would like for her to apologize to me to be honest with you," Profitt said.

This kind of thing has been happening a lot:

Get shot on the face by the VP? Apologize for the ruckus the scandal caused him. Don't expect an apology in return.
Spoiler:
another article wrote:But did Cheney ever say in private what he didn't say in public? Did he ever apologize?

Whittington, who has been talking about his life and career for hours, suddenly draws silent.

"I'm not going to go into that," he says sharply after a short pause.

Harry Whittington is too gracious to say it out loud, but he doesn't dispute the notion, either.

Nearly five years on, he's still waiting for Dick Cheney to say he's sorry.

Testify about being harrassed by a Supreme Court nominee? His wife will call you and ask for an apology 19 years later.

Did an oil company destroy your coast because skimping on safety measures saved them a few bucks? Apologize for charging them for the clean up.

This seems to be a trend where conservatives want to live in some kind of feudal system where if one of your betters wrongs you, you apologize for getting in his way.

Of course, this case may be different. Maybe the Tea Partier saw this woman and figured that if she suffered enough brain damage, she would join the Tea Party.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Return to “News & Articles”