Researchers discover how to erase memory

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

dicoy

Researchers discover how to erase memory

Postby dicoy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:20 pm UTC

http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-11-erase-memory.html

I recommend you to read 1984, it's staring for real now.

Bright Shadows

Re: Researchers discover how to erase memory

Postby Bright Shadows » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:25 pm UTC

dicoy wrote:I recommend you to read 1984, it's staring for real now.

Or not? The therapy worked in trials with mice, and if I understand correctly, just with memories of fear as of yet.

dicoy

Postby dicoy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Bright Shadows wrote:
dicoy wrote:I recommend you to read 1984, it's staring for real now.

Or not? The therapy worked in trials with mice, and if I understand correctly, just with memories of fear as of yet.

It's only a matter of time until it works on people, and then you'll start waking up in bed with pain in the ass and wet eyes, and won't know what happened.

Flayer

Postby Flayer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:53 pm UTC

While this is very interesting of course, it'd hardly 1984ish... I mean. It's not like "they" have been doing this to people or anything. Of course, it does allow for a lot of conspiracy theorists reaffirm their belief in their theories, considering the researchers have achieved this in mice.

Moose Hole

Postby Moose Hole » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:02 pm UTC

We have been using this technique on a massive scale for years. You were all told of this many times. Frankly, I'm getting tired of reminding people.

dicoy

Postby dicoy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:27 pm UTC

Moose Hole wrote:We have been using this technique on a massive scale for years. You were all told of this many times. Frankly, I'm getting tired of reminding people.

LOL, I was afraid of that, but the mouse thing wouldn't have come up. Making a public announcement of a successful research on this topic is a mistake they would only make the first time.

Flayer wrote:While this is very interesting of course, it'd hardly 1984ish... I mean. It's not like "they" have been doing this to people or anything. Of course, it does allow for a lot of conspiracy theorists reaffirm their belief in their theories, considering the researchers have achieved this in mice.
Well it's a tool that combined with FB and electronic News, it would make 1984 a lot more easier

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:40 pm UTC

dicoy wrote:
Flayer wrote:While this is very interesting of course, it'd hardly 1984ish... I mean. It's not like "they" have been doing this to people or anything. Of course, it does allow for a lot of conspiracy theorists reaffirm their belief in their theories, considering the researchers have achieved this in mice.
Well it's a tool that combined with FB and electronic News, it would make 1984 a lot more easier
What? Why would you say such a thing?
Flayer wrote:Of course, it does allow for a lot of conspiracy theorists reaffirm their belief in their theories, considering the researchers have achieved this in mice.
Oh, right.

dicoy wrote:It's only a matter of time until it works on people, and then you'll start waking up in bed with pain in the ass and wet eyes, and won't know what happened.
Rape jokes: the height of hilarity.

Doubly aggravating given the theoretical applications of traumatic memory deletion for rape survivors or others at risk for PTSD.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

dicoy

Postby dicoy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:33 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:Rape jokes: the height of hilarity.

If you're not being sarcastic, thankyou.

Princess Marzipan wrote:Doubly aggravating given the theoretical applications of traumatic memory deletion for rape survivors or others at risk for PTSD.

Yeah well one thing is being raped, going to the police, catching the bastard, and then treating the victim, and another thing is the senario I posted above.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:35 pm UTC

It can't create 1984? So you are saying the deletion of people's fears (or the memories which create/perpetuate) those fears on one side of the political spectrum to keep one party in power, which then of course wipes your fears about them being in power.....you can see where this is going.

Moose Hole wrote:We have been using this technique on a massive scale for years. You were all told of this many times. Frankly, I'm getting tired of reminding people.

You aren't supposed to be telling people. Please report to room 1A for "therapy" immediately. Your superiors will be informed of where you are.

In all honesty I doubt this will be used on humans any time soon. Even for therapy, it sounds like it erases memories indiscriminately and the offending memory would have to be pretty traumatic to be willing to lose many others, including several you may not even realize you associated with fear.
Last edited by Brooklynxman on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Rackum

Postby Rackum » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:55 pm UTC

Brooklynxman wrote:In all honesty I doubt this will be used on humans any time soon. Even for therapy, it sounds like it erases memories indiscriminately and the offending memory would have to be pretty traumatic to be willing to lose many others, including several you may not even realize you associated with fear.

Until we test on something higher order than mice I doubt we'll be able to determine if the entire memory has been erased or if merely the association of that particular memory with fear has been severed.

djkjr
Location: All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Postby djkjr » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:56 pm UTC

This isn't the first step in an Orwellian world, sadly. Though the ramifications of a governing body utilizing this tool for its own benefits is disturbing and uncomfortable, it doesn't seem too practical. In order for a government to effectively eliminate the memory of an incident it would have to target each individual involved, any person that they had told about the incident before their memory was erased and any documentation of it that occurred (camcorder, voice recorder, good ol' analog pen and paper). But it is definitely an interesting thing to consider when thinking about what the government could eventually use this for. Perhaps good? Most certainly evil... But who's to say?
Consider the ability to eradicate the memories of a convicted felon so that his very nature were no longer threatening to the general public. The action of said felon committing the crimes would strip them of their freedom to choose whether they could elect for the procedure or not. So now, do you no longer have a convicted felon with full understanding of his crimes and desires to commit the, but a free jail cell (no longer robbing the state of funds) and an individual who is able to go back out into society in order to be an active and productive member. Of course that is completely hypothetical and there would be miles of red tape before getting there, but it's an interesting immediate consideration, no?
What scares me more is that there are even easier ways for our world to already be living in the Orwellian world that we all seem to fear so much. Consider this (though I'm not sure how viable "Cracked.com" is to any other reader, it's still an interesting article with great sources.) http://www.cracked.com/article_18704_5-mind-blowing-ways-your-memory-plays-tricks-you_p2.html?wa_user1=4&wa_user2=Science&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=recommended
These examples coupled with the resources they draw their conclusions from are fascinating to consider when you think about all the information that you've lived through already. All the media. All the possible lies you don't even know or lies. All the propaganda you KNOW is true.
So I'm not so scared about an upcoming Orwellian world. I'm more frightened by the fact that it already exists and there's no way to know about it or prevent it. Big Brother may not be watching... The Thought Police may not be monitoring our every action... There may be no set structure toward controlling the populace, but there are powers that are able to control us, even if that is not their intent. And that is even scarier...
Erasing our memories??? Just another development of our overzealous humanity, in the realm of technology, that was bound to occur and is bound toward embellishment.
War is Peace.
Freedom is Slavery.
Ignorance is Strength.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:05 pm UTC

Am I the only one who thought of "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" before thinking "1984"?

djkjr

Postby djkjr » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:08 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Am I the only one who thought of "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" before thinking "1984"?

No, I definitely thought "Eternal Sunshine"!! I just didn't have a fun segue into stating it with all my rambling babble.

p.s. love that movie!! ><
War is Peace.
Freedom is Slavery.
Ignorance is Strength.

M.C.

Postby M.C. » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:09 am UTC

What an incredible waste of research money. Any idiot could tell you a 2x4 works very effectively.
Nobody likes Milhouse!

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:13 am UTC

M.C. wrote:What an incredible waste of research money. Any idiot could tell you a 2x4 works very effectively.
Yea, but how can the government secretly go around hitting people with 2x4s? They can't so SCIENCE!

M.C.

Postby M.C. » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:54 am UTC

Xeio wrote:
M.C. wrote:What an incredible waste of research money. Any idiot could tell you a 2x4 works very effectively.
Yea, but how can the government secretly go around hitting people with 2x4s? They can't so SCIENCE!

Sure they can, with enough agents armed with planks of wood, anything is possible.
Nobody likes Milhouse!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:17 am UTC

M.C. wrote:
Xeio wrote:

Sure they can, with enough agents armed with planks of wood, anything is possible.

Exactly, and sometimes they train an elite force to use baseball bats.

djkjr

Postby djkjr » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:41 pm UTC

Whether its complete memory control of an individuals or a super elite baseball bat force sanctioned by the government, I still don't see how a "silence them all with force" option would actually work. Manipulation of the media is a much more powerful tool. Especially since our minds are made to believe what we are told. That we are programmed to jump on the bandwagon of social desire and discontent.
It's an easy thing to make fun of, because it's a real threat. That we are not only entering an age where our true freedoms are micro-scoping, but that we don't even know we are losing those abilities.
I'm glad that some people have made light of this thread, but there's real potential here of understanding something that exists outside of our control.
Then again, why should anyone care?
War is Peace.
Freedom is Slavery.
Ignorance is Strength.

VDOgamez

Postby VDOgamez » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:03 pm UTC

I noticed that this isn't the kind of memory erasure that would cause any reason for alarm. It erases memories of extreme fear through chemical treatment and therapy, something which would be difficult to administer unwillingly. For example, it doesn't allow the government to erase your memory of your involvement with the CIA. You do remember that, right?

Princess Marzipan wrote:
dicoy wrote:It's only a matter of time until it works on people, and then you'll start waking up in bed with pain in the ass and wet eyes, and won't know what happened.
Rape jokes: the height of hilarity.

Doubly aggravating given the theoretical applications of traumatic memory deletion for rape survivors or others at risk for PTSD.

Who says it's rape? Maybe you consented, perfectly willing to do it, but afterwards felt terrible about it, and got your memory of the event erased. You'd never really know why you did it or exactly what happened.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:35 pm UTC

On a side note, while we are talking about controlling people through media, it's the 5th of November.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:On a side note, while we are talking about controlling people through media, it's the 5th of November.

I thought the 5th of November was about someone wanting to control people through blowing up Parliament?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:04 pm UTC

Now they just need to make it a weapon you can fire at people, and my goal of world domination will be one step closer.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

abbel

Postby abbel » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:43 pm UTC

"how to erase memory"

Hope this will someday work for all the things we saw on /b/ or chatroulette and try to forget; since this is kind of a fear.
/ignore vocabulary mistakes
/ignore grammatical mistakes
/ignore spelling mistakes

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:52 pm UTC

I wonder if you could erase your memory of your favourite films so you could watch them again as if it's the first time?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:47 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I wonder if you could erase your memory of your favourite films so you could watch them again as if it's the first time?

That won't work, I've read too much TV tropes...

on second thought...

M.C.

Postby M.C. » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:02 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I wonder if you could erase your memory of your favourite films so you could watch them again as if it's the first time?

That'd be awful if your favorite movie was 'Inception'.

I'd rather delete my memory of 'Babylon A.D.' thank you
Nobody likes Milhouse!

engr

Postby engr » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:26 am UTC

Wait, no one mentioned MIB yet?

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. Gilbert K. Chesterton

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:59 am UTC

M.C. wrote:

That'd be awful if your favorite movie was 'Inception'.

I'd rather delete my memory of 'Babylon A.D.' thank you

I thought of the movie 10,000 B.C.

Also, epic reference, engr. :)
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:38 pm UTC

(While I still find the idea of memory erasure to be an abomination), Or, alternatively, you could really win The Game FOREVER!
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:37 pm UTC

Aikanaro wrote:(While I still find the idea of memory erasure to be an abomination), Or, alternatively, you could really win The Game FOREVER!

But I already won it, why would I need to win it again?

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:57 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:
Aikanaro wrote:(While I still find the idea of memory erasure to be an abomination), Or, alternatively, you could really win The Game FOREVER!

Because xkcd doesn't count.

Rab_Tales

Postby Rab_Tales » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:41 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure batman once had a big moral dilemma with this 8)

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:18 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:
The Reaper wrote:

Because xkcd doesn't count.

Nonsense.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:12 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
M.C. wrote:
Xeio wrote:

Exactly, and sometimes they train an elite force to use baseball bats.

At least the cops had a sense of humor.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:05 pm UTC

I wonder why everyone is so worried about '1984' when 'A Brave New World' would be so much easier.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

letterX

Postby letterX » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:08 pm UTC

Decker wrote:I wonder why everyone is so worried about '1984' when 'A Brave New World' would be so much easier.

And way more orgies!

iop

Postby iop » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:31 pm UTC

Decker wrote:I wonder why everyone is so worried about '1984' when 'A Brave New World' would be so much easier.

Probably because they made the mistake not to read 'A Brave New World'.

djkjr

Postby djkjr » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:00 pm UTC

1984 has been societies distinction of a novel that embodies our greatest fear as a governed populace. There are an extensive amount of other books out there that detail this very thing, but 1984 has been categorized as "the father of dystopia" through our school systems and media. A foundation of the thought or premise of a world where we lose our humanity to the intent of "the powers that be". It's almost like the distinction people make with fairy tales. You ask someone about fairy tales and they'll most likely jump right to Disney, even though fairy tales existed far longer than that. It's just the distinction that has been given to us. It has been embedded in our memory and our vernacular to animate a point or disposition without explanation.

Just figured I'd throw that thought in there.
War is Peace.
Freedom is Slavery.
Ignorance is Strength.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:03 pm UTC

djkjr wrote:1984 has been societies distinction of a novel that embodies our greatest fear as a governed populace. There are an extensive amount of other books out there that detail this very thing, but 1984 has been categorized as "the father of dystopia" through our school systems and media. A foundation of the thought or premise of a world where we lose our humanity to the intent of "the powers that be". It's almost like the distinction people make with fairy tales. You ask someone about fairy tales and they'll most likely jump right to Disney, even though fairy tales existed far longer than that. It's just the distinction that has been given to us. It has been embedded in our memory and our vernacular to animate a point or disposition without explanation.

Just figured I'd throw that thought in there.

I generally think of Grimm's fairy tales. So twisted.

djkjr

Postby djkjr » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:07 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:I generally think of Grimm's fairy tales. So twisted.

And I agree with you. I'm merely making a generalization to illustrate the point of the "1984" generalization that seems to be prevelant (not just in this thread, but commonly when touching on like topics)
I personally think of Aesop and Hans Christian Anderson myself :p

EDIT: I just realized that my sig slightly contradicts what I'm saying here. I just really like the book! lol
War is Peace.
Freedom is Slavery.
Ignorance is Strength.

Return to “News & Articles”