8 year old children publish scientific bee study

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Kassad

8 year old children publish scientific bee study

Postby Kassad » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:21 am UTC

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/12/kids-study-bees/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Index+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29

Great way to interest children in science! They some way to go tho:

“I thought science was just like math, really boring,” he said. “But now I see that it’s actually quite fun. When you’re curious, you can just make up your own experiment, so you can answer the question.”

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Re: 8 year old children publish scientific bee study

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:11 am UTC

Here's the BBC's story about it. I think this is pretty cool, it's a good way of showing children that science isn't just something that happens in multi-million pound facilities, it's something you can do yourself.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

KittenKaboodle

Postby KittenKaboodle » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:10 am UTC

Awwww..

But wait,
Misha Lotto, said “I thought science was just like math, really boring,” If you think that you might want to avoid this: http://xkcd.com/435/
and; "A commentary by two scientists, LT Maloney & NH de Ibarra, concluded ... They lack statistical analyses ..."
So kids, while you skated by on cuteness this time, that's not going to work a few years down the road.

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:58 am UTC

They lack statistical analyses

eh, people can do their own damn maths. The study has interesting data regardless.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:45 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
They lack statistical analyses

eh, people can do their own damn maths. The study has interesting data regardless.

I'll try putting that in my next paper and see how it works out :)

Seriously though, the interesting story is that this was a very unique way for kids to get involved in science, a huge bravo from me! I highly doubt the paper would have come anywhere close to publication if it wasn't written by 8 year olds, but seeing as most people publish papers after thousands of hours of work in their field (between education and research), it's incredibly impressive and will probably have a very positive effect on these kids' future academic careers.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:54 pm UTC

Also, keep in mind most journals have a variety of things they include in their weekly/monthly releases. Nature has a lit review section (at least I've seen books reviewed, obviously mostly pertaining to science, but a handful of fiction novels as well).

At the very least, this can get tossed in as a 'check out what some awesome 8 year olds did'.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:18 pm UTC

Adorable. Anything to make science fun- though I hope that can become a sustaining interest. By 8, so many kids already find science inaccessible and intimidating, largely because parents often inadvertently make it a social norm. The longer teachers, parents, etc can put off that intimidation, the better chance the kids have of finding their o

Young Astronauts (and a little bit of Apollo 13) had me prepping to become a NASA mission control rocket scientist at a young age, until my middle and high school math/science teachers lacked to capture my attention the same way as my foreign language teachers. Now, foreign language, international politics, culture, etc is pretty fascinating, but when teachers aren't invoking passion in science when there is SO MUCH room for discovery, someone is dropping the ball.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:04 pm UTC

I think if anything, at this age, everyone's sort of a scientist at heart. Kids are curious, and having them associate 'new stuff!!!' with 'science!' is a good thing.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

frezik

Postby frezik » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:52 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I think if anything, at this age, everyone's sort of a scientist at heart. Kids are curious, and having them associate 'new stuff!!!' with 'science!' is a good thing.

As I like to say, children have boundless curiosity; the people who never lose it are called Scientists.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Chesley Alpha

Postby Chesley Alpha » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:39 pm UTC

"We discovered that bumblebees can use a combination of colour and spatial relationships in deciding which colour of flower to forage from," the students wrote in the paper's abstract. "We also discovered that science is cool and fun because you get to do stuff that no one has ever done before."

Return to “News & Articles”