Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Glmclain
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 12:51 pm UTC

Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby Glmclain » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:31 am UTC

[Potential Trigger Warning]

Rolling Stone

The Canadian-born Bieber never plans on becoming an American citizen. "You guys are evil," he jokes. "Canada's the best country in the world." He adds, "We go to the doctor and we don't need to worry about paying him, but here, your whole life, you're broke because of medical bills. My bodyguard's baby was premature, and now he has to pay for it. In Canada, if your baby's premature, he stays in the hospital as long as he needs to, and then you go home."


- He isn't sure what political party he'd support if he was old enough to vote. "I'm not sure about the parties," Bieber says. "But whatever they have in Korea, that's bad." He does have a solid opinion on abortion. "I really don't believe in abortion," Bieber says. "It's like killing a baby." How about in cases of rape? "Um. Well, I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that."


I think the Healthcare thing is funny, but his comments on Rape are pretty fucking terrible. Ouch.
You Samoans are all the same! You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture!

User avatar
Aikanaro
Posts: 1801
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:43 pm UTC
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby Aikanaro » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:34 am UTC

Glmclain wrote:[Potential Trigger Warning]

Rolling Stone

The Canadian-born Bieber never plans on becoming an American citizen. "You guys are evil," he jokes. "Canada's the best country in the world." He adds, "We go to the doctor and we don't need to worry about paying him, but here, your whole life, you're broke because of medical bills. My bodyguard's baby was premature, and now he has to pay for it. In Canada, if your baby's premature, he stays in the hospital as long as he needs to, and then you go home."


- He isn't sure what political party he'd support if he was old enough to vote. "I'm not sure about the parties," Bieber says. "But whatever they have in Korea, that's bad." He does have a solid opinion on abortion. "I really don't believe in abortion," Bieber says. "It's like killing a baby." How about in cases of rape? "Um. Well, I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that."


I think the Healthcare thing is funny, but his comments on Rape are pretty fucking terrible. Ouch.

The other day at work, something prompted my boss to use the trite expression, "Everything happens for a reason." My response? I stared at him for a moment and just said, "The Holocaust?" He gave up after that. I hate that damn expression, but at least I think I've found a way to kill it.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Inny Binny
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:38 am UTC
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby Inny Binny » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:43 am UTC

Wow, "god ok's rape" is a fairly hyperbolic interpretation of the statement. Sure I think the statement is bad, but 'everything happens for a reason' is a pretty widely held belief of religious people. Simply saying that you believed a murder happened for some divine reason doesn't mean you're saying god thinks it's a wonderful idea.

User avatar
mmmcannibalism
Posts: 2150
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:16 am UTC

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby mmmcannibalism » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:44 am UTC

On the one hand he likes state run health care, on the other hand he said whatever North Korea has is bad...

Is he officially old enough that I'm allowed to actually criticize things he says?
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Glmclain
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 12:51 pm UTC

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby Glmclain » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:45 am UTC

He's justifying rape. He says god is perfect and everything he decides to let happen is the right choice, so if somebody is raped it's because god decided it was the right thing to do.

Which is REALLY just a dicky thing to say amirite?
You Samoans are all the same! You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture!

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:55 am UTC

On the one hand he likes state run health care, on the other hand he said whatever North Korea has is bad...

Is he officially old enough that I'm allowed to actually criticize things he says?


I'm about his age and I damn well don't expect you to lighten your criticism of my arguments, so yes, you can absolutely criticize what he says.

BREAKING NEWS: Teen celebrities are idiots.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

User avatar
Kulantan
Posts: 999
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 9:24 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere witty

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby Kulantan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:04 am UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:On the one hand he likes state run health care, on the other hand he said whatever North Korea has is bad...

Is he officially old enough that I'm allowed to actually criticize things he says?

Because those of use who live in countries with socialised medicine are just deluding ourselves when it comes to the difference between our governments and oppressive communist dictatorships.

If you mean that if he doesn't even have a name for what North Korea government is, his criticism of the American health care system couldn't be very well developed (which would be completely ad hominem, but I could kind of see your point).
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

Inny Binny
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:38 am UTC
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby Inny Binny » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:09 am UTC

Glmclain wrote:He's justifying rape. He says god is perfect and everything he decides to let happen is the right choice, so if somebody is raped it's because god decided it was the right thing to do.

Which is REALLY just a dicky thing to say amirite?


Saying something happened for a reason is only 'justifying' it from a metaphysical perspective, quite clearly many will still vehemently decry the actions of those who performed the rape. Nor does 'it happened for a reason' mean it's good, it only means it happened as part of some indecipherable plan.

I definitely agree the statement is fairly dickish, because while saying 'everything happens for a reason' is hardly saying everything is good, it certainly is incredibly condescending and unsympathetic to those who don't agree with it.

Bieber's understanding of things in general seems to be a little dodgy anyway.

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:10 am UTC

Inny Binny wrote:
Glmclain wrote:He's justifying rape. He says god is perfect and everything he decides to let happen is the right choice, so if somebody is raped it's because god decided it was the right thing to do.

Which is REALLY just a dicky thing to say amirite?


Saying something happened for a reason is only 'justifying' it from a metaphysical perspective, quite clearly many will still vehemently decry the actions of those who performed the rape. Nor does 'it happened for a reason' mean it's good, it only means it happened as part of some indecipherable plan.


A plan that he supports (assuming he supports God).

I definitely agree the statement is fairly dickish, because while saying 'everything happens for a reason' is hardly saying everything is good, it certainly is incredibly condescending and unsympathetic to those who don't agree with it.

Bieber's understanding of things in general seems to be a little dodgy anyway.


true dat
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

User avatar
mmmcannibalism
Posts: 2150
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:16 am UTC

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby mmmcannibalism » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:11 am UTC

Kulantan wrote:
mmmcannibalism wrote:On the one hand he likes state run health care, on the other hand he said whatever North Korea has is bad...

Is he officially old enough that I'm allowed to actually criticize things he says?

Because those of use who live in countries with socialised medicine are just deluding ourselves when it comes to the difference between our governments and oppressive communist dictatorships.

If you mean that if he doesn't even have a name for what North Korea government is, his criticism of the American health care system couldn't be very well developed (which would be completely ad hominem, but I could kind of see your point).


Eh, I just find it funny that his comment amounts to whatever is good and friendly sounding is awesome and the American system is the evilz. In retrospect, I may have been venting a little rage from a time when I had to explain why "how much the government controls" is at best an insufficient standard for how good a healthcare system is.

edit--other half of topic

but if it all happens for a reason why should you criticize anything, its all part of a greater plan.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:15 am UTC

but if it all happens for a reason why should you criticize anything, its all part of a greater plan.


Except then he can't retract his statements because those were part of god's plan, unless the retraction was, then again, the retraction of the-

ERROR: MAXIMUM RECURSION DEPTH EXCEEDED.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

User avatar
Chfan
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:26 pm UTC
Location: American East Coast

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby Chfan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:19 am UTC

Well, it's pretty awful to say, but to be fair to the kid, he said he's not really able to judge. Still...
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Inny Binny
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:38 am UTC
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby Inny Binny » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:20 am UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:
Kulantan wrote:
mmmcannibalism wrote:On the one hand he likes state run health care, on the other hand he said whatever North Korea has is bad...

Is he officially old enough that I'm allowed to actually criticize things he says?

Because those of use who live in countries with socialised medicine are just deluding ourselves when it comes to the difference between our governments and oppressive communist dictatorships.

If you mean that if he doesn't even have a name for what North Korea government is, his criticism of the American health care system couldn't be very well developed (which would be completely ad hominem, but I could kind of see your point).


Eh, I just find it funny that his comment amounts to whatever is good and friendly sounding is awesome and the American system is the evilz. In retrospect, I may have been venting a little rage from a time when I had to explain why "how much the government controls" is at best an insufficient standard for how good a healthcare system is.

edit--other half of topic

but if it all happens for a reason why should you criticize anything, its all part of a greater plan.


There's a bit of difference between criticising 'the plan' and criticising the rape. Essentially saying everything's up to fate doesn't really change how you approach all that happens, because how you approach all that happens would also be part of 'the plan'.

In fact it could easily be compared to the predominant (I think it is anyway) view in science today that we don't ultimately have free will. If a man raped a girl, would we all say that it doesn't matter because ultimately everything is predetermined anyway? No, because we still have perceived free will, so from our perspective nothing is different. Same with 'the plan'. God does stuff. No-one knows why. But that's what happens. It happens for a reason. But it doesn't change how we act ourselves.

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:23 am UTC

Chfan wrote:Well, it's pretty awful to say, but to be fair to the kid, he said he's not really able to judge. Still...


Yeah, I'm not letting people my age get away with this shit because they're kids. Just because he said he's not able to judge doesn't mean he shouldn't be able.

In fact it could easily be compared to the predominant (I think it is anyway) view in science today that we don't ultimately have free will. If a man raped a girl, would we all say that it doesn't matter because ultimately everything is predetermined anyway? No, because we still have perceived free will, so from our perspective nothing is different. Same with 'the plan'. God does stuff. No-one knows why. But that's what happens. It happens for a reason. But it doesn't change how we act ourselves.


Different: the assumption that everything is under God's plan usually comes with the assertion that god's plan is good. Nobody says that the lack of free will means that whatever is determined to happen is moral.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

dedwrekka
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:39 am UTC

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby dedwrekka » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:24 am UTC

First off, why is this news. He's a kid, why the hell do we care.
The Canadian-born Bieber never plans on becoming an American citizen. "You guys are evil," he jokes. "Canada's the best country in the world." He adds, "We go to the doctor and we don't need to worry about paying him, but here, your whole life, you're broke because of medical bills. My bodyguard's baby was premature, and now he has to pay for it. In Canada, if your baby's premature, he stays in the hospital as long as he needs to, and then you go home."

Oh good, at least a kid who's famous and rich beyond necessity isn't helping out his bodyguard who is apparently in financial and family medical crisis. Yeah, this is who I would want my theoretical kids paying attention to.

User avatar
GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers
Posts: 3892
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:56 am UTC
Location: Brisbane, Aust
Contact:

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby GhostWolfe » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:35 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:Different: the assumption that everything is under God's plan usually comes with the assertion that god's plan is good. Nobody says that the lack of free will means that whatever is determined to happen is moral.
Just because you believe a plan to be inherently "good" doesn't mean that you agree with all the parts, or the implementation of said plan. It's a coping mechanism: bad stuff happens, but [we] can be strong because [we] honestly believe that things work out in their own time.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:38 am UTC

ust because you believe a plan to be inherently "good" doesn't mean that you agree with all the parts, or the implementation of said plan. It's a coping mechanism: bad stuff happens, but [we] can be strong because [we] honestly believe that things work out in their own time.

/angell


In theory, this is the case. Except that people who say that God causes everything generally also believe that God is perfect and good. Therefore rape, as a part of god's plan, must be perfect and good.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

User avatar
mmmcannibalism
Posts: 2150
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:16 am UTC

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby mmmcannibalism » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:05 am UTC

dedwrekka wrote:First off, why is this news. He's a kid, why the hell do we care.
The Canadian-born Bieber never plans on becoming an American citizen. "You guys are evil," he jokes. "Canada's the best country in the world." He adds, "We go to the doctor and we don't need to worry about paying him, but here, your whole life, you're broke because of medical bills. My bodyguard's baby was premature, and now he has to pay for it. In Canada, if your baby's premature, he stays in the hospital as long as he needs to, and then you go home."

Oh good, at least a kid who's famous and rich beyond necessity isn't helping out his bodyguard who is apparently in financial and family medical crisis. Yeah, this is who I would want my theoretical kids paying attention to.


Thank you for catching that.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

zmatt
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby zmatt » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:05 am UTC

Just my .02, I don't think he really understands a lot of the intricacies of the health care debate and how different systems work. He obviously has a somewhat developed sense of morality given his opinion on N Korea and abortion. However given his age and that his life revolves around pop music I don't think we should expect him to understand half of it or develop a reasonably well informed opinion. He's a kid, and even worse he is a pop singer. I don't think anyone ever asked Brittney Spears about economic policy.
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5493
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:13 am UTC

Pretty much I agree with the rest of this thread. He's a kid, he doesn't deserve this kind of negative attention (yet). Granted, he's a pop star so he'll have to get used to it. Even then, we don't listen to the opinions of pop stars unless they're really really stupid. IE: "Bush hates black people" and the like.

Basically, too young to make fun of, and even if he was old enough we probably shouldn't be listening to him anyway.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

dedwrekka
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:39 am UTC

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby dedwrekka » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:20 am UTC

zmatt wrote:He obviously has a somewhat developed sense of morality given his opinion on N Korea and abortion.

I dunno, on abortion he seemed unable to answer a complicated moral question (rape and abortion) and instead his responsed seemed canned and repetitious rather than thoughtful or organized.

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:22 am UTC

zmatt wrote:Just my .02, I don't think he really understands a lot of the intricacies of the health care debate and how different systems work.

Thank you captain understatement :)


He obviously has a somewhat developed sense of morality given his opinion on N Korea and abortion.


Or is just parroting.


KnightExemplar wrote:Pretty much I agree with the rest of this thread. He's a kid, he doesn't deserve this kind of negative attention (yet). Granted, he's a pop star so he'll have to get used to it. Even then, we don't listen to the opinions of pop stars unless they're really really stupid. IE: "Bush hates black people" and the like.

Basically, too young to make fun of, and even if he was old enough we probably shouldn't be listening to him anyway.



No. No. I am letting letting people my age get off this easily: I don't care that he's a kid, he should still be able to offer more intelligent opinions than this, and I find it embarrassing and insulting that people don't recognize this.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 am UTC
Location: couldn't even find coffee in copenhagen

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:42 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:No. No. I am letting letting people my age get off this easily: I don't care that he's a kid, he should still be able to offer more intelligent opinions than this, and I find it embarrassing and insulting that people don't recognize this.


People who think he should be given a semi-pass because of his age remember how they were at that age.

I was stupid, shallow, and naive back when I was 16. He says something stupid, shallow, and naive, as a 16 year old. Stop the presses?

Basically, his opinion is (or should be considered by rational people) irrelevant, as because of his maturity (in regards to those of you who are that age, YMMV) he is only able to parrot what he hears most often without giving such subjects critical thought.
Last edited by Sheikh al-Majaneen on Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:44 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:No. No. I am letting letting people my age get off this easily: I don't care that he's a kid, he should still be able to offer more intelligent opinions than this, and I find it embarrassing and insulting that people don't recognize this.


People who think he should be given a semi-pass because of his age remember how they were at that age.

I was stupid, shallow, and naive back when I was 16. He says something stupid, shallow, and naive, as a 16 year old. Stop the presses?


It's not a surprise, that doesn't mean it's permissible. I'm sure I'll look back at myself now with the same assessment, but that I doesn't mean I should try like hell to do better.

Basically, his opinion is (or should be considered by rational people) irrelevant, as because of his maturity he is only able to parrot what he hears most often without giving such subjects critical thought.


This is the bit I find insulting. It's certainly what he's doing, but I don't like the assertion that I'm not capable of critical thinking.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 am UTC
Location: couldn't even find coffee in copenhagen

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:48 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:It's not a surprise, that doesn't mean it's permissible. I'm sure I'll look back at myself now with the same assessment, but that I doesn't mean I should try like hell to do better.

Oh, I'm not suggesting that he shouldn't be shown the ugly and terrifying truth of such matters (in words, sans pictures, diagrams, and illustrations), just that people shouldn't assume he's a horrible monster who condones rape.

He doesn't know any better. Ask him again in ten years.

Basically, his opinion is (or should be considered by rational people) irrelevant, as because of his maturity he is only able to parrot what he hears most often without giving such subjects critical thought.


This is the bit I find insulting. It's certainly what he's doing, but I don't like the assertion that I'm not capable of critical thinking.

I edited my previous post to get across better what I mean. I didn't mean to be insulting to ALL 16 year olds, just to point out that some won't develop any emotional and intellectual depth for a few more years.

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:51 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:It's not a surprise, that doesn't mean it's permissible. I'm sure I'll look back at myself now with the same assessment, but that I doesn't mean I should try like hell to do better.

Oh, I'm not suggesting that he shouldn't be shown the ugly and terrifying truth of such matters (in words), just that people shouldn't assume he's a horrible monster who condones rape.


Of course. It just means he's an idiot because he doesn't realize the rape-condoning implications of what he said.
Basically, his opinion is (or should be considered by rational people) irrelevant, as because of his maturity he is only able to parrot what he hears most often without giving such subjects critical thought.


This is the bit I find insulting. It's certainly what he's doing, but I don't like the assertion that I'm not capable of critical thinking.

I edited my previous post to get across better what I mean. I didn't mean to be insulting to ALL 16 year olds, just to point out that some won't develop any emotional and intellectual depth for a few more years.


thank you, now I can continue feeling arrogant and intellectually superior.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

User avatar
Iulus Cofield
WINNING
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 am UTC

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:54 am UTC

Jesus people, read the quote. He clearly hadn't thought about the issue of abortion in the case of pregnancy, he wasn't even commenting on whether or not rape can be justified, and he's a 16-year-old pop star.

We're all wasting our brain power here.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 am UTC
Location: couldn't even find coffee in copenhagen

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:58 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:thank you, now I can continue feeling arrogant and intellectually superior.

In ten years you will, in a nostalgic moment, read the things you wrote on the xkcd fora, and facepalm.

I assure you of this.

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:59 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:thank you, now I can continue feeling arrogant and intellectually superior.

In ten years you will, in a nostalgic moment, read the things you wrote on the xkcd fora, and facepalm.

I assure you of this.


I know, and this worries me. I don't know what I can do to avoid it.

Hey, wait a moment!
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

User avatar
M.C.
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:06 pm UTC
Location: South of the equator.

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby M.C. » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:07 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:In ten years you will, in a nostalgic moment, read the things you wrote on the xkcd fora, and facepalm.

I facepalm when I read something I wrote five minutes ago.

Really guys, you're worrying what Justin Beiber thinks?
Nobody likes Milhouse!

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:08 am UTC

M.C. wrote:
Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:In ten years you will, in a nostalgic moment, read the things you wrote on the xkcd fora, and facepalm.

I facepalm when I read something I wrote five minutes ago.

Really guys, you're worrying what Justin Beiber thinks?


Yes. If only because other people also are.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:17 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:Basically, his opinion is (or should be considered by rational people) irrelevant, as because of his maturity (in regards to those of you who are that age, YMMV) he is only able to parrot what he hears most often without giving such subjects critical thought.
Which is why it was pretty stupid and unnecessary to even ask the questions at all.

M.C. wrote:Really guys, you're worrying what Justin Beiber thinks?
Me, personally? Not really. I care inasmuch as Bieber's legions of teenage fangirls who factor him into their adolescent teenage crushes and find him someone they can "safely" sexualize do. Because they're seeing that "everything happens for a reason" and that if they get pregnant they should just have the baby, after all WWBD?
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

User avatar
GrowingSmiles
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:08 am UTC

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby GrowingSmiles » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:22 am UTC

this is funny :roll:

User avatar
broken_escalator
They're called stairs
Posts: 3312
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 am UTC
Location: _| ̄|○

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:28 am UTC

He should have gone with a more 'Bieber' answer to the rape question: Never say never! I mean, what better place to plug in your new movie than a question about rape?

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 9585
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:39 am UTC

Let's be honest, those of us that are significantly older than Bieber at least; when you were Bieber's age, did you have any political views that you later looked back and said, wow was I ever wrong?

When I was younger, I believed that the American criminal-justice system was too lenient, thought during the 2000 election that Bush would be a disaster (my mind is currently no longer made up on this one, it's extremely complicated), thought Linkin Park was a good band, and was a snot-nosed megadouche.

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:43 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Let's be honest, those of us that are significantly older than Bieber at least; when you were Bieber's age, did you have any political views that you later looked back and said, wow was I ever wrong?

When I was younger, I believed that the American criminal-justice system was too lenient, thought during the 2000 election that Bush would be a disaster (my mind is currently no longer made up on this one, it's extremely complicated), thought Linkin Park was a good band, and was a snot-nosed megadouche.


You're making me sad.

Also, I'm curious, in what ways did you believe that the criminal justice system was too lenient: there are situations where I think it is, in terms of some punishments, and situations where I think it isn't.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

User avatar
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!
Posts: 6986
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby Hawknc » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:48 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:Jesus people, read the quote. He clearly hadn't thought about the issue of abortion in the case of pregnancy, he wasn't even commenting on whether or not rape can be justified, and he's a 16-year-old pop star.

As a 16-year-old pop star he's a role model to a lot of young, impressionable stupid people. So, it's probably something he should think about before speaking on it.
ImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:49 am UTC

Hawknc wrote:
Iulus Cofield wrote:Jesus people, read the quote. He clearly hadn't thought about the issue of abortion in the case of pregnancy, he wasn't even commenting on whether or not rape can be justified, and he's a 16-year-old pop star.

As a 16-year-old pop star he's a role model to a lot of young, impressionable stupid people. So, it's probably something he should think about before speaking on it.


Agreed: just because expectations are lowered doesn't mean standards should be.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 9585
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:52 am UTC

Well, I was once of the belief that corporal punishment such as Saudi-style handchopping would be a great deterrent. The reality is, even ignoring for innocent convictions, you now have a group of people who now have even fewer options outside a life of crime. Not to mention that once, Britain had the death penalty for forgery; this was removed due to pressure from the banks, as juries refused to convict anyone.

Also, I was once of the belief that sex offenders, etc, should simply be executed. Now, while I don't sympathize with sex offenders, I take a huge issue with the sex offender registration system; if the Judge only sentenced a person for X years, how can you take someone who wasn't court-ordered and place them on the registry and give them additional restrictions?

Currently I'm of the belief that (nonviolent) drug addicts should get rehab rather than prison, and still waiting for Obama to keep that campaign promise. I'm of the suspicion that the real difference between the laws of powder and crack cocaine is not inherent racism, but that it's assumed that the guy on powder is wealthier and is less likely to be mugging people to support his habit than the crack-addict. However, I believe that the should be treated as the same drug, and only if there is enough evidence to convict the addict of mugging/dealing/whatever should he be punished as a mugger, etc.
Last edited by CorruptUser on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid
Posts: 1075
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:17 am UTC
Location: couldn't even find coffee in copenhagen

Re: Bieber Calls American Healthcare Evil, God OK's Rape

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:55 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:
Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:Basically, his opinion is (or should be considered by rational people) irrelevant, as because of his maturity (in regards to those of you who are that age, YMMV) he is only able to parrot what he hears most often without giving such subjects critical thought.
Which is why it was pretty stupid and unnecessary to even ask the questions at all.

Yes, exactly. Justin Bieber knows neither what abortion is, nor rape. I mean, he can define them, but he does not understand. They are almost certainly nonentities in his life, and thus lack the intellectual, physical, and emotional forms that they do for people who have had to deal with rape and abortion, whether their experience was in the first or third person.

He needs some Everlast in his life.
Last edited by Sheikh al-Majaneen on Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:59 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests