Browncoats - Help Nathan Buy Firefly!

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

dancedoula

Browncoats - Help Nathan Buy Firefly!

Postby dancedoula » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

For all you Firefly fans, there might be hope of new content in the future. Nathan Fillion said in a recent interview, "If I got $300 million from the California Lottery, the first thing I would do is buy the rights to Firefly, make it own my own, and distribute it on the Internet." And a movement was started to make that happen.

So help spread the word on this site http://helpnathanbuyfirefly.com

As of this moment it is only a few days old, and there is no fund set up for donations. But as soon as we get the green light, and the exact amount of the Firefly rights from Fox, we'll start gathering the funds to make this happen.

Please check out some of the others talking about this, and help get it out there!

http://io9.com/#!5764615/help-nathan-fillion-buy-firefly
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/18/firefly.returns.ew/
http://blastr.com/2011/02/nathan-fillion-and-firefl.php
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Help-Nathan-Buy-Firefly/198967863462576
http://geeksofdoom.com/2011/02/17/attention-browncoats-firefly-to-return-to-cable-is-this-our-last-chance-to-save-it/

Arancaytar

Re: Browncoats - Help Nathan Buy Firefly!

Postby Arancaytar » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:11 pm UTC

I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up too much, since the idea is based on a single remark Fillion made in an interview and hasn't got his actual backing yet. That said...

*SQUEEEEEEEEE*
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:20 pm UTC

I am very glad that the plan is "let's scrape together the money to buy the firefly rights" instead of "let's buy a bunch of lottery tickets." That said, color me pessimistic that they will accumulate enough cash.

(Also, I'm also pessimistic that more Firefly would be worth it. It's been a long time, and while it was a good show, a lot of the appeal comes from the fact that it was canceled while the bloom was still on the rose.)
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:20 pm UTC

Arancaytar wrote:I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up too much, since the idea is based on a single remark Fillion made in an interview and hasn't got his actual backing yet.

Yeah, I would like to see official backing before doing anything. Also, 300 million is a lot to raise, and I don't think donations is the right way to go (what if it never gets off the ground? The money will probably never get raised). Without a plan to profit and investors to back it, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:25 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:Yeah, I would like to see official backing before doing anything. Also, 300 million is a lot to raise, and I don't think donations is the right way to go (what if it never gets off the ground? The money will probably never get raised). Without a plan to profit and investors to back it, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
This is the benefit of things like kickstarter, where people pledge money and that money is only actually taken from them if a given threshold is reached.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:30 pm UTC

1. Never gonna ever see 300 million raised for this (unless there is a very rich firefly fan out there... that hasn't bothered to buy the rights yet?)
2. Meh, let it die already, it was good, but even if it was revived it would just not live up to the hype.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:08 am UTC

Exactly, and Wash is already dead. :cry:

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:12 am UTC

And so is
Spoiler:
Book

Also, the whole
Spoiler:
River
plotline has been (mostly) resolved.

The movie pretty much killed any chance of a successful revival.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:16 am UTC

And this is why I don't really like the film.
Ⓞⓞ◯

PeterCai

Postby PeterCai » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:19 am UTC

when are you rabid fanbois going to realize it's just another tv show/movie?

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:34 am UTC

Yeah, sorry. Us liking this series must be infringing on your existence. We'll stop.
Ⓞⓞ◯

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:55 am UTC

I read somewhere that if Firefly was brought back, they would just declare the movie as non-canon.

Malice

Postby Malice » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:25 am UTC

The estimate on that site for the cost of the rights uses Terminator, which isn't a good comparison, since that was already a major film franchise. I can see paying 10-20 million for the Firefly rights, depending on how much of a dick Fox wants to be...

Then each episode (based on numbers I found randomly on the internet) would probably be 3-4 million, with another 5 or 6 start-up costs (sets and things).

So maybe 65 million for the entire thing (ie one season of television). Has anything ever been crowdsourced that was that expensive? You'd be better off appealing directly to millionaires, or pressuring Congresspeople to sneak it into the budget.

kingofdreams

Postby kingofdreams » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:31 am UTC

Unfortunately the hand to mouth existence I lead forces me to choose between World Wildlife Fund and Firefly...
Picard- I shall appoint you my executive officer in charge of radishes

dancedoula

Postby dancedoula » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:38 am UTC

$300 million is just a number pulled out of the air by Nathan Fillion in his interview.

There is a short Q&A on the website, and I encourage everyone to check it out: http://helpnathanbuyfirefly.com

Just scroll down to Common Questions and Answers.

Also something interesting was written about the math in 2006 by Henry Jenkins: http://www.henryjenkins.org/2006/06/more_on_firefly_and_the_long_t.html

Even if the actual target number is not reached by this site alone, it sure would be a great start!

Browncoats Unite!

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:42 am UTC

A) Eeeeeeeeeeeeee!
B) I'm not sure Fillion said he'd be making MORE Firefly. It sounds like he's just going to put existing Firefly out for free?
C) You can easily incorporate dead characters into new material. Flashbacks. Or make the 'new' material be further exploration of the events that transpire between the tv show and the movie. Or, deal with it and have those who died no longer around.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:50 am UTC

Argh! My heart tells me this is a great thing were it to happen. My head tells me it probably wouldn't work out so well, with any series jumping the shark round about episode 5 of series 3 (as in the second series made under this initiative). Of course, as long as Michelle Dockrey gets a cameo then I'll be reasonably happy whatever the output.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

Cloning Firefly would be a LOT cheaper than buying the rights first.

Just set it in the same place with very similar characters and names. Anyone who watches this would understand.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:34 pm UTC

And then get sued.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:38 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:1. Never gonna ever see 300 million raised for this (unless there is a very rich firefly fan out there... that hasn't bothered to buy the rights yet?)
2. Meh, let it die already, it was good, but even if it was revived it would just not live up to the hype.

Yep. It should have a reinvention though. Something like a prequel. That way there is less messing up of the story/cast. As, sad as it may be, your not going to get all the cast back together.
[edit]
PS, as to the film. They had a chance to wrap it up. Either it would have lost the plat half way through the cancelled series, or done their best to go out with a bang. Kudos for doing it. Was a lot better than the Farscape Movie too. ;)
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:Argh! My heart tells me this is a great thing were it to happen. My head tells me it probably wouldn't work out so well, with any series jumping the shark round about episode 5 of series 3 (as in the second series made under this initiative). Of course, as long as Michelle Dockrey gets a cameo then I'll be reasonably happy whatever the output.

Wow, you Brits ruin your shows so much sooner than on this side of the pond. Here, season 1 is the experiment, season 2 develops the ideas and characters, and it's season 3 that the show is at its greatest. The show then slowly goes downhill as the writers forget why they started the show in the first place or run out of ideas, then around season 6/7 the show dies. For example, Scrubs, Star Trek TNG, The Simpsons, Seinfeld, All in the Family (which yes, was a ripoff of Till Death Do Us Part).

Sometimes it takes longer, like South Park, which died in season 11, or shorter, like Family Guy, which died in season 5.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:03 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:And then get sued.

For what? If it doesn't take any names, places, art assets, script lines or the title, what does it infringe? There's plenty of clone films, books and games out there (example: anything Gameloft puts out for the iPhone) and they don't get sued.

They might be able to sign up some of the original actors if they cared about the show.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:43 pm UTC

The Fallout series is a good example of something that was cloned explicitly, and even referenced the original, without getting sued.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:48 pm UTC

Maybe I'm being more pessimistic than necessary, then.
Ⓞⓞ◯

dedwrekka

Postby dedwrekka » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:20 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:I read somewhere that if Firefly was brought back, they would just declare the movie as non-canon.

There was some early talk from Joss about if the show was approved for another season, they would do the intervening time between the show and the movie, as roughly a year had passed. That time was later used for "Those Left Behind". There's still Mal's reverse conversion from religion to cover, Inara's illness, Zoe's reaction to Wash's death. It was a character driven show, not gimmick driven. The characters are what kept you watching, unlike other science fiction which is simply action based with 2d characters.

As for the cost of production I'd point everyone to another, more recent Joss Wheddon production. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog was shown for free for several months on the internet, and recouped the cost of production and actors through donations, DVD sales and record sales. He went out of his way to try and find out if the internet could be used as an appropriate medium. Yes, it wasn't as big a production as Firefly, but the internet as a distribution source is still there. As well as possible backing from SyFy, who is now airing the series, if there proves to be anything like the former viewer base.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:50 am UTC

"The Science Channel has purchased the rights to Firefly and plans to air all episodes in order and in high definition. In addition, physicist Dr. Michio Kaku will appear to explain the theoretical science behind the show's sci-fi concepts. There's a brief interview in the article as well with Nathan Fillion, who chimes in with his thoughts on Firefly and playing Mal."

Seems like they aren't planning actual new content, though.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:57 am UTC

Arancaytar wrote:
"The Science Channel has purchased the rights to Firefly and plans to air all episodes in order and in high definition. In addition, physicist Dr. Michio Kaku will appear to explain the theoretical science behind the show's sci-fi concepts. There's a brief interview in the article as well with Nathan Fillion, who chimes in with his thoughts on Firefly and playing Mal."

Yeah, and Castle would have to be canceled before Fillion could really take up a new series anyways.

Eowiel

Postby Eowiel » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:35 am UTC

No problem, then we just need to buy the rights on Castle too, so we can cancel that show. :)

Deep_Thought

Postby Deep_Thought » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:10 am UTC

Personally much as my heart would love there to be more Firefly, my head would not welcome a resurrection. I thought the movie was an excellent coda to what little of the series we got to see. Sure Firefly had huge potential, but as has been pointed out above re-assembling the exact same cast is unlikely, and even if they do everyone is now what, eight years older than when it was started? The chemistry will have changed no matter what and the chemistry between the characters is a large part of what made Firefly so great.
CorruptUser wrote:*snip* or shorter, like Family Guy, which died in season 5.

For much the same reasons, Family Guy has three seasons. THREE. The abomination that is season four onwards is just a cruel prank that Seth Macfarlane unleashed on the world for his own entertainment. It never recovered the same creative drive that the first three brilliant seasons displayed in such abundance.

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:00 pm UTC

So, about 20 years ago, one of my favourite shows of all time, Red Dwarf, was cut short abruptly at the end of the 8th series. Yeah, they'd been getting near the bottom of the ideas barrel, but the series hadn't ended really, and there was always talk about 'the movie' or 'the next series'... The books did finish though (but they were never too closely linked to the series anyway).

About 2 years ago, the cast got back together for a 3-series mini-series because they were commissioned to do it; I got a copy, and it was crap. Nothing like the original.

Now, that's not saying that 'this always happens', or even that it would happen to Firefly, but if you try to get everything back together, it has to fall back into place in the same way it was left off. Joss Whedon has to get back in the heads of characters that he hasn't written about for nearly a decade, as would all the actors. The interaction between characters has to be reforged, despite actors having developed and evolved. And above all this, there's a lot of pressure from a group of people that have fronted many millions of dollars for a product to not only be produced, but to live up to the original. This doesn't sound like the mix that will get us what we want as fans.
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:40 pm UTC

Well, there's 1 cast member on board: http://twitter.com/#!/JewelStaite/statu ... 2585908224
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

dancedoula

Postby dancedoula » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:58 am UTC

J the Ninja wrote:Well, there's 1 cast member on board: http://twitter.com/#!/JewelStaite/status/39828272585908224

Yes! Two down in four days! This might not take long at all :)

dedwrekka

Postby dedwrekka » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:09 am UTC

Arancaytar wrote:

No, my suggestion was that they might possibly be willing to provide some backing if there was already proven to be a steady fan base. Which would be proven both through the ratings on the re-runs and by the financial donations towards the project. The donations would provide a majority of the cost, and the supporting channel(s) would only have to include a small amount towards production rather than the full amount.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:19 am UTC

Why does a new season of Firefly need to have the same characters? Part of character development is that characters live, change, start families, die. The fact that Book and Wash died doesn't mean that it is impossible for the series to continue. If anything, it adds tension to the series, where the characters are not immortal. It's annoying to watch a movie or TV show where some nigh-unescapable disaster happens every other week, and the only consequence is the loss of some nameless red-shirt. If we don't know whether or not our crew will survive the end of the episode, it adds tension.

A new co-pilot could be found, Jane's character could be better developed, River might have had her backstory fleshed out but that doesn't mean she is now permanently sane. Though I suspect that somehow if the series was brought back, Book and Wash would be resurrected through some cheesy plot device involving River having resurrection powers...

Awia

Postby Awia » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:22 pm UTC

Or the movie could be declared non canon.
Or the period of time between the end of the series could and the start of the movie could be shown.

A combination of both would be great.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:29 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:The fact that Book and Wash died doesn't mean that it is impossible for the series to continue.

Not impossible, but a great deal of intrigue was placed of Book's past: simply dumping that would relieve any future series of a significant measure of dramatic weight.
Last edited by Pez Dispens3r on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:32 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:30 pm UTC

It'd be horribly cheesy, but what if Wash had been made into a reaver, and part of the new season (or all of it) was spent getting him back/fixed.

Also, don't forget all of you wanting the movie to be declared non-canon; the movie is where River kicks ass. In the series, she's just a crazy little girl who has some vaguely psychic powers.

Although I'm impressed with the degree of not reading previous comments people are making here. Hey, I have an idea, what if the movie was made non-canon, or the new series could be the time between the end of the show and the movie? Brilliaint eh?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Although I'm impressed with the degree of not reading previous comments people are making here. Hey, I have an idea, what if the movie was made non-canon, or the new series could be the time between the end of the show and the movie? Brilliaint eh?

It's a fickle thread topic. I'm just glad it hasn't yet got to two pages...
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

Book was one of my favorite characters. The movie never explained his past. Instead he was killed off unceremoniously. That was a major disappointment. I really want to know more about him. But I do not see how a new series could explore that without resurrecting him. But that would be lame. Yeah the new series could be set between the first series and the movie. But that would also be lame, because it completely restricts all plot development. The only solution I see is to declare the movie non-canon. Which, well, would also be lame. But I guess the most non-lame of all solutions.

But why not a reboot? Like they did with BSG.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Deep_Thought

Postby Deep_Thought » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:24 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:But why not a reboot? Like they did with BSG.

Because Firefly is only eight years old whereas BSG was 25 when the new version started? The almost three-decade gap between original and modern version meant that there was plenty of cultural 'space' between the two. Not only does the series look different thanks to modern FX, it feels very different too simply because it adopts a modern, gritty tone contrasted to the originals fairly camp one. Plus the stories are so different that it's really just the names that are the same. What would rebooting Firefly achieve? The FX would be the same, and culture hasn't shifted that far in the five years since the movie. Where on earth would you go with such an idea? Wherever you went, it certainly wouldn't be the Firefly I know and love. Better to start with an entirely new idea in my opinion.

*EDIT: Made it clearer I meant a new idea, not a fresh series of Firefly.

Return to “News & Articles”