Oral Sex: Greater risk for throat cancer than smoking

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Oral Sex: Greater risk for throat cancer than smoking

Postby H2SO4 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:42 pm UTC

Link.
Spoiler:
A virus spread during oral sex is now the main cause of throat cancer in people under 50, scientists have warned.
They say the human papilloma virus spread during unprotected sex is to blame for a disturbing rise in potentially deadly oral cancers in the last few decades.
Doctors have called for boys to be vaccinated against HPV just like teenage girls to stop the spread of the disease.

HPV is best known as the cause of around 70 per cent of cervical cancers. Since 2008, girls have been vaccinated against the virus aged 12 and 13 in schools.
However, it can also cause warts, verrucas and other cancers.
Cancers of the mouth and oropharynx - the top of the throat - used to be mainly diagnosed in older men who drink or smoke. But increasingly, it is being seen in younger men.
Prof Maura Gillison of Ohio State University in Columbus said the sexually transmitted HPV was a bigger cause of some oral cancers than tobacco.

She said: 'We don’t know from strict scientific evidence whether the vaccine will protect from oral HPV infections that lead to cancer. Those of us in the field are optimistic it will – the vaccines in every anatomical site looked at so far have been shown to be extraordinarily effective, about 90 per cent effective, at preventing infections.'
'When one of my patients asks whether or not they sound vaccinate their sons, I say certainly.'
Girls aged 12 and 13 are offered the HPV vaccine on the NHS to protect against cervical cancer - a disease that kills nearly 1,000 women every year in the UK. The jab is given at school in three doses over six months.
Doctors are increasingly concerned that the sexually transmitted virus is behind a rise in cancer.

In Britain the incidence of throat cancer is rising sharply while in the US the incidence of oral cancers linked to HPV have doubled in the last 20 years.
In Sweden in the 1970s around a quarter of tonsil cancers were linked to HPV, but by the mid 2000s the figure was 90 per cent said Prof Gillison.
'That’s the most compelling data in a population that the increase in tonsular cancer or oropharynx cancer incidence we’re seeing in a number of places worldwide is possible caused by HPV,' she said.
Someone infected with HPV 16 - the strain linked to oral cancer- has a 14 fold increase in risk for getting oropharynx cancer, she said.
She added: 'What is most strongly linked to oral HPV infection is the number of sexual partners someone has had in their lifetimes, in particular the number of individuals on whom they have performed oral sex.

'The higher the number of partners that you’ve had, the greater the odds that you’d have an oral infection.'
Yesterday, researchers told the American Association for the Advancement of Science conference in Washington CD that teenagers consider oral sex to be 'casual, socially acceptable, inconsequential and significantly less risk to their health than “real” sex.'
Last year a study at Johns Hopkins University found that HPV posed a greater risk in contracting cancer than smoking or alcohol.

The American study of 300 people showed that those with more than six partners were almost nine times at greater risk of contracting the disease while those who had already experienced a previous oral HPV infection were 32 times more likely to develop cancer.
Most HPV infections have no symptoms and people often do not need treatment.
Sara Hiom, Cancer Research UK’s director of health information, said: 'Cancers in the mouth and throat are on the increase and rates have been rising dramatically in the UK since the mid 1980s, especially in people in their 40s, 50s and 60s.
'The proportion of these cancers that appear to be related to infection by HPV is also increasing.
'But while it’s reasonable to assume that HPV vaccination in girls and boys would protect against these cancers, there is as yet no evidence as to whether the current HPV vaccines are effective at preventing them.
'The trials done to date have looked at cervical cancer or genital warts as endpoints, so we need new studies to show effectiveness against these HPV-related head and neck cancers.
'Yet most oral cancers diagnosed in people over 50 in the UK are still related to tobacco and alcohol use.'

Basically, just like HPV can causes cervical cancer, it's now being found to cause throat cancer.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

diguidum

Re: Oral Sex: Greater risk for throat cancer than smoking

Postby diguidum » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:47 pm UTC

Being alive: Greater risk for cancer than not being alive.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Experimental bias; study assumes most people swallow.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:57 pm UTC

But, basically, if I get the HPV vaccine, that mostly takes care of this potentially causing throat cancer in my partner? Furthermore, doesn't this assume that the partner in question is female? :P
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:01 pm UTC

Well, presumably men can also give a blow job...

Actually, I want to see stupid causation fails occurring with this. I.e., if HPV causes cancer, and coating a bodies throat with bodily fluids with an HPV load increases the risk of throat cancer, and the HPV vaccine eliminates this risk, AND SMOKING CAUSES THROAT CANCER, CLEARLY I CAN SMOKE ALL I WANT IF I HAVE THE HPV VACCINE!!!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:15 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Well, presumably men can also give a blow job...

Actually, I want to see stupid causation fails occurring with this. I.e., if HPV causes cancer, and coating a bodies throat with bodily fluids with an HPV load increases the risk of throat cancer, and the HPV vaccine eliminates this risk, AND SMOKING CAUSES THROAT CANCER, CLEARLY I CAN SMOKE ALL I WANT IF I HAVE THE HPV VACCINE!!!

So the HPV vaccine prevents throat cancer, and we can all smoke! This must now become a meme!
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:15 pm UTC

There isn't a greater risk of throat cancer from oral sex, that's a misreading of the article (or perhaps the articles misreading of the study.)

While there may be a greater number of people who have throat cancer from oral sex, this says nothing about the percentage of people who smoke that have throat cancer as opposed to the percentage of people who've given oral sex that have throat cancer.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

PeterCai

Postby PeterCai » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:17 pm UTC

it's hard to compare that way because people don't give oral sex one pack a day

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:18 pm UTC

Says you.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

Man, I wish oral sex came in packs!
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

PeterCai wrote:it's hard to compare that way because people don't give oral sex one pack a day

I wouldn't know.

Also this study uses people under 50 as the demographic. I'd imagine people older than 50 are more likely to get cancer from smoking, as they've done it for longer.

And the article doesn't even mention a percentage of people who regularly give oral sex that have throat cancer. Basically, all this says that is unprotected sex spreads HPV, including to the throat.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

Bias: selects for people under 50 which as sourmilk points out are less likely to have cancer from smoking anyway.
Bias: ignores that not everyone has HPV.
Bias: oral sex has nothing to do with it, HPV does.
Bias: article neglects to provide any actual numbers
Bias: article neglects to mention whether the claimed result is displayed only in people with HPV or as a ratio of the general population, if it is true

Solution: stop using the Daily Fail as a news source. It's a tabloid.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:45 pm UTC

It's the DAILY MAIL.

When are you people going to learn not to post shit from it?
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

Dream wrote:It's the DAILY MAIL.

Hey, I live in a country where "Fair and Balanced" is applied to Fox News and the most trustworthy source comes from a show whose lead-in is some moron making cracks about web videos. We have no bloody idea what should be crap and what shouldn't.
I looked out across the river today …

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:19 pm UTC

I gotta call bull on this.

The Daily Mail taught me that if I let my guard down, immigrant candlejack will get
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:34 pm UTC

Felltir wrote:

I gotta call bull on this.

The Daily Mail taught me that if I let my guard down, immigrant candlejack will get

I wonder if *that thing* will come and get me if all I do is quo
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:43 pm UTC

Oh god you guys, that is about the 3rd worst meme ever, it serves no purpose and adds nothing to the conversation. Please stop.

(yes, that's right, I completed my sentence.)

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:56 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:Oh god you guys, that is about the 3rd worst meme ever, it serves no purpose and adds nothing to the conversation. Please stop.

This from a guy who's avatar is a mudkip? :lol:

(To clarify, I personally have no problems with mudkips, or you, but your choice of what memes you endorse and which ones you oppose seems odd).

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go put together a search party for Fel and Sly. I wonder where Candlejack hid
Dear xkcd,

Love, Aikanaro.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

Aikanaro wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:Oh god you guys, that is about the 3rd worst meme ever, it serves no purpose and adds nothing to the conversation. Please stop.

(To clarify, I personally have no problems with mudkips, or you, but your choice of what memes you endorse and which ones you oppose seems odd).

The mudkip is not so much an endorsement as much as it is a lapse in creativity: I felt I needed an avatar, and I was thinking about mudkips. That said, I do liek them.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:00 pm UTC

Spoilering the off topic bits of this thread
Spoiler:
sourmìlk wrote:
Aikanaro wrote:

The mudkip is not so much an endorsement as much as it is a lapse in creativity: I felt I needed an avatar, and I was thinking about mudkips. That said, I do liek them.

May I suggest Cake Golems? They are Golems, with all the might that such entails, yet are also delicious!
Dear xkcd,

Love, Aikanaro.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:01 pm UTC

Aikanaro wrote:Spoilering the off topic bits of this thread
Spoiler:
sourmìlk wrote:
Aikanaro wrote:

May I suggest Cake Golems? They are Golems, with all the might that such entails, yet are also delicious!

Spoiler:
I don't want to change my avatar because people have become accustomed with the association between me and mudkips.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:35 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:Man, I wish oral sex came in packs!
It does for wolves.

Sorry. ... Man, where's candlejack when you really to make a quick ex
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:36 pm UTC

This is worse than talking about batman. Why is the 16-year-old the only one not participating in this?

Goplat

Postby Goplat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:40 pm UTC

H2SO4 wrote:A virus spread during oral sex is now the main cause of throat cancer in people under 50, scientists have warned.
They say the human papilloma virus spread during unprotected sex is to blame for a disturbing rise in potentially deadly oral cancers in the last few decades.
Doctors have called for boys to be vaccinated against HPV just like teenage girls to stop the spread of the disease.
I bet when the US media picks this up, we'll have a big outcry of "Don't vaccinate boys or it'll encourage them to turn gay!"

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:44 pm UTC

Goplat wrote:
H2SO4 wrote:A virus spread during oral sex is now the main cause of throat cancer in people under 50, scientists have warned.
I bet when the US media picks this up, we'll have a big outcry of "Don't vaccinate boys or it'll encourage them to turn gay!"

Shhhhh...

Don't give them any ideas.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:56 pm UTC

They probably don't even have to make the cognitive leap towards "turning boys gay," our conservatives are perfectly content to stay with "any kind of safe sex measure means people will have more sex and keep polluting the planet up with their sin, the dirty sluts."
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:03 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:They probably don't even have to make the cognitive leap towards "turning boys gay," our conservatives are perfectly content to stay with "any kind of safe sex measure means people will have more sex and keep polluting the planet up with their sin, the dirty sluts."

I did forget about this. Why is it, again, that sex is inherently bad?

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:35 pm UTC

The Christian Baptist reasoning varies between

"Sex/Women got Adam & Eve kicked out of the garden, so men shouldn't give in and women shouldn't be tempting"

or

"God ordained the one destined for you and you shouldn't pollute yourself before you get to have sex with him/her"

or

"Too much earthly pleasure takes your mind off heaven"

or

"The more sex you have, the more you will crave, which will lead you down the slippery slope towards lots of other sin"

or

"Sex is only for procreation so treating it as anything else is bad"
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:50 pm UTC

Wow. Even if you allow them the literal truth of the Bible, that's some insane extrapolation. I find it bizarre that people will go to such extents to rationalize a stigma for perhaps the third most basic human need.

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:15 am UTC

The one I hear a lot is "sex is dangerous, so don't fuck around."

As if everything dangerous is immoral, and especially so if it's for fun. (Skydiving, Snowboarding, Scuba diving anyone?)

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:24 am UTC

Wyvern wrote:The one I hear a lot is "sex is dangerous, so don't fuck around."

As if everything dangerous is immoral, and especially so if it's for fun. (Skydiving, Snowboarding, Scuba diving anyone?)

Then I'm sure those people oppose pre-marital skydiving at least as strongly as pre-marital sex. After all, which one has a higher kill rate?

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:03 am UTC

podbaydoor wrote:keep polluting the planet up with their sin, the dirty sluts."

This isn't a bad thing. This is a motto. "Keep it coming with the filthy sluts!"

sourmìlk wrote:
Wyvern wrote:The one I hear a lot is "sex is dangerous, so don't fuck around."

Then I'm sure those people oppose pre-marital skydiving at least as strongly as pre-marital sex. After all, which one has a higher kill rate?

Pre-marital full-contact underwater chess, anyone?
I looked out across the river today …

PeterCai

Postby PeterCai » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:05 am UTC

god hates scuba divers. repent, repent!

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:50 am UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:Pre-marital full-contact underwater chess-boxing, anyone?

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Berelanai

Postby Berelanai » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:08 am UTC

Just to be clear, are they talking about -on boy or -on girl oral sex here? The article doesn't mention it.

KittenKaboodle

Postby KittenKaboodle » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:49 am UTC

Berelanai wrote:Just to be clear, are they talking about -on boy or -on girl oral sex here? The article doesn't mention it.

"Doctors [who may or may not be onthe payroll of the vaccine manufacture] have called for boys to be vaccinated against HPV just like teenage girls to stop the spread of the disease."

They say they want to stop the spread of the disease, the virus doens't care who gvies it to who, but since boys who do "-on boy" are a minroity they are probably talking more about boy "-on girl" since the girls who care enough about their health to get a $350 vaccination, are getting the vaccine for the cervical cancer issue anyway. Also the vaccine is aready aprroved for cervical cancer risk reduction so from a marketing standpoint hetro boys are the next largest target. But I don't suppose they really care who you have sex with as long as you buy the vaccine.

Sporky McForkinspoon

Postby Sporky McForkinspoon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:04 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
Goplat wrote:

Shhhhh...

Don't give them any ideas.

I was trying to figure out through the entire article if it was saying that oral sex on either gender could cause HPV, or just if performed on a male. Unless I wasn't reading carefully enough, it doesn't specify.

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:03 pm UTC

Surely vaccinating all people (rather than just girls) would prevent men becoming carriers, and give us a chance of being able to achive herd immunity for HPV.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:09 pm UTC

Prefanity

Postby Prefanity » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:44 pm UTC

Spoiler'd for meme-talk.

Spoiler:

Okay, I have to know now. What are the two ahead of this one?

Return to “News & Articles”