Anonymous Hacks Westboro Baptist Church's site

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Quantum Potatoid
Location: May only be known if velocity isn't. Same rules apply with taste and texture.

Anonymous Hacks Westboro Baptist Church's site

Postby Quantum Potatoid » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:46 am UTC

Article:
http://www.thirdage.com/news/westboro-b ... _2-24-2011
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZJwSjor ... r_embedded
Google cache of the hacked page:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... hurch.com/

Yes, this may get them more attention, yes, it's just a "small" hack job, but I have to say, I'm thoroughly amused by this. As an LGBT I have to say, they had it coming. I found the video too painful to watch, but some of you guys may be able to stomach it.
Am I a terrible person for hoping they goad Anonymous even more and have worse things done to their site?
"There's nothing wrong with having voices in your head, it's when they leave you out of the conversation you have to worry"
Spoiler:
iThis Cheese is Burning Me!

The Reaper

Re: Anonymous Hacks Westboro Baptist Church's site

Postby The Reaper » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:48 am UTC

And that, my friends, is recursive comedy. trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls.

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:56 am UTC

The WBC aren't trolls, they believe every crazy thing they say.

When anonymous attacked sites like mastercard for not supporting Assange, I thought that was inappropriate. I have no problem with this: the westboro baptist church deserves nearly anything they might have coming to them.

member of Anonymous appeared on live television for an interview

Anonymous

appeared live

wat.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:12 am UTC

Quantum Potatoid wrote:Am I a terrible person for hoping they goad Anonymous even more and have worse things done to their site?

No.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:13 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:The WBC aren't trolls, they believe every crazy thing they say.

They might or might not believe what they say, but I recall reading that their primary source of income is their protests.

They find something to protest, preferably something that is guaran-fucking-teed to make people hate them, and they do it in the most inflammatory way possible -- while still not actually breaking any laws. The old fellow is a lawyer, and I think some of the other members might be lawyers, too. They walk right along the line of legal freedom of speech, deliberately taunting people into attacking them. If they actually do get attacked, or have their right of free speech in any way denied, they lawsuit up for millions. And they tend to win, IIRC. I'll see if I can find some stats.

They might be awful, horrible human beings. They might be Titan-sized trolls. They might be delusional insaniacs. They might be a bit of each of those, but they are very, very careful to never actually break any laws. (They are probably under sufficient scrutiny that one or two missteps will NOT be overlooked.)

Edit: I might be mistaken here. This is all I've found that's relevant, from the Westboro wiki page:
Somewhere on the Wiki page is ungrammatically wrote:A number of Phelps' critics have suggested that the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church are a ploy to receive attention above all else. Counter-protesting against the group, they suggest, gives them attention and incentive that they do not deserve; and a more effective response against Phelps would be to ignore his congregation completely. WBC, through the closely related Phelps Chartered law firm, has collected fees under the Civil Rights Attorney's Fees Award Act of 1976 when their protests have been unlawfully disrupted.

Also, it seems that old man Phelps was disbarred a while back. I haven't found any (easy-to-find) references about what other clan members might be on the bar, and the "Phelps Chartered" web page is (surpriiiiise) down. :mrgreen:
Last edited by poxic on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:21 am UTC

poxic wrote:

They might or might not believe what they say, but I recall reading that their primary source of income is their protests.

They find something to protest, preferably something that is guaran-fucking-teed to make people hate them, and they do it in the most inflammatory way possible -- while still not actually breaking any laws. The old fellow is a lawyer, and I think some of the other members might be lawyers, too. They walk right along the line of legal freedom of speech, deliberately taunting people into attacking them. If they actually do get attacked, or have their right of free speech in any way denied, they lawsuit up for millions. And they tend to win, IIRC. I'll see if I can find some stats.

They might be awful, horrible human beings. They might be Titan-sized trolls. They might be delusional insaniacs. They might be a bit of each of those, but they are very, very careful to never actually break any laws. (They are probably under sufficient scrutiny that one or two missteps will NOT be overlooked.)

/shrug, and IMO, the natural cure for Lawful Evil is Chaotic Good (or occasionally, Chaotic Neutral looking to have some fun).
EDIT: Also, antics like this always bring this comic to mind for me:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Aikanaro on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:36 am UTC

BAHAHAHAHA

That is all.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:47 am UTC

Aikanaro wrote:
poxic wrote:

/shrug, and IMO, the natural cure for Lawful Evil is Chaotic Good (or occasionally, Chaotic Neutral looking to have some fun).
EDIT: Also, antics like this always bring this comic to mind for me:
Spoiler:

I lol'd.

I can't tell if anonymous is chaotic neutral or chaotic evil, but the "chaotic" bit certainly does help them deal with the WBC.

Also, is this statement utterly naive, or would anonymous actually be a more difficult group to prosecute than, say, the WBC because there are no leaders, people are mostly anonymous, and it's unclear which parts of the group actually take part in anything happening?
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:26 am UTC

Anonymous gives WBC 0/100? Dayum.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

M.C.

Postby M.C. » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:06 am UTC

Hrm, I had always thought that the average Anon was more anti than pro gay. Either way, I can't help imagine what Fred Phelps would think of 4chan.
Nobody likes Milhouse!

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:12 am UTC

Spoiler:
1213839694046.jpg

And I'm pretty sure we can already guess what he thinks about 4chan. Same thing he thinks about everyone that's not a member of his family/chuch/breeding pool. Y'allz goin to hayell.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:18 am UTC

Hrm, I had always thought that the average Anon was more anti than pro gay. Either way, I can't help imagine what Fred Phelps would think of 4chan.

Nah, the average anon is liberal or apathetic. They all pretend to be crazy racists, but their actions show that's not actually them, it's just an online persona they take.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:32 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:Also, is this statement utterly naive, or would anonymous actually be a more difficult group to prosecute than, say, the WBC because there are no leaders, people are mostly anonymous, and it's unclear which parts of the group actually take part in anything happening?
The way I understand it, there's most likely a small group of people who organize everything amongst themselves... Like any other hacker circle, really. But it'd still be really hard to prosecute the group (and people have definitely tried).

Izawwlgood wrote:BAHAHAHAHA

That is all.
+1

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:35 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:Also, is this statement utterly naive, or would anonymous actually be a more difficult group to prosecute than, say, the WBC because there are no leaders, people are mostly anonymous, and it's unclear which parts of the group actually take part in anything happening?
The way I understand it, there's most likely a small group of people who organize everything amongst themselves... Like any other hacker circle, really. But it'd still be really hard to prosecute the group (and people have definitely tried).
From my understanding, somebody has an idea and people do it. I'm not sure how you could even have an organized circle of people in an anonymous image board.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:46 am UTC

I don't think there's even a group of leaders. I think someone comes up with an idea and tries to get other anons to join in. Depending on how many lulz there could be had from it, the other anons will either join in or reply "anonymous is not your personal army".
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:08 am UTC

That's how the majority of raids work (don't judge; I have 2-3 friends who sort of live on 4chan), but this is... bigger. Now that AnonNews is so popular, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a group somewhere in the deep web that's holding some strings.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:23 am UTC

But I don't see how that would work in a case where every single member has the screen name "Anonymous". Anybody could claim to be a given individual and there'd be no way to prove or disprove it. Anybody could usurp the "king's" name and face.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:30 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:But I don't see how that would work in a case where every single member has the screen name "Anonymous". Anybody could claim to be a given individual and there'd be no way to prove or disprove it. Anybody could usurp the "king's" name and face.
If you've been following the HBGary incident(s)* you'll see that, while they're all just "Anonymous" on 4chan, the same people are using other means to communicate, and have unique twitter/email/IRC/facebook/etc accounts. In fact, a large part of what Aaron Barr was trying to do when he drew the wrath of Anonymous was correlate these other networks in order to pinpoint who some of these people actually are.

*which take things to a whole new level, incidentally, and into the real world, but that's another story
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:32 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:But I don't see how that would work in a case where every single member has the screen name "Anonymous". Anybody could claim to be a given individual and there'd be no way to prove or disprove it. Anybody could usurp the "king's" name and face.

Well there are tripcodes

uh

or so I've heard

<.<
>.>

and HBGary wasn't anything, and he didn't have any accurate or useful information. His list of people had "Guy Fawkes", which I can't believe he bought.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:49 am UTC

I guess he knew they were merely usernames, what I can't fathom is how he thought a list of usernames would be in any way useful or valuable.

What's a tripcode?

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:54 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
and HBGary wasn't anything, and he didn't have any accurate or useful information. His list of people had "Guy Fawkes", which I can't believe he bought.
Well, yeah, he utterly failed at linking the accounts to actual people, but not so much at differentiating between users, again mostly because Anonymous exists in places other than 4chan.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:58 am UTC

I could almost hear the "whoosh" going over Shirley's head when Anon said he's committed >9000 sins. My morning is certainly brighter.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:00 am UTC

Row row, fight the powah!
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:06 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Row row, fight the powah!

I'm not sure I'd call WBC "the powah".

Inny Binny

Postby Inny Binny » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:36 am UTC

This is the most painful sarcasm ever.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:01 pm UTC

The message that was posted itself was actually quite asesome. They even clearly stated that WBC has the right to do what they do.

I actually kinda like anonymous. They are completely chaotic and occasionally get the wrong targets. But they do do a lot of good as well. This action, fighting for internet freedom, against scientology. Even their attacks on mastercard were a very good thing. Companies should feel the sting when they conspire with the government to stiffle freedom of speech. If that can't be done legally, then I have absolutely not problem with it being done illegally. When the government itself is the problem, justified actions will in fact rarely be legal.

I'd classify anonymous as chaotic goodish.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:04 pm UTC

I agree with Diadem, and find that the crap Anonymous does is overshadowed by the fact that they/it represents a powerful force oppressing tyranny. Yes, unruly mobs will smash windows of innocent shop keepers, but they'll also keep corrupt leaders shaking in fear.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:15 pm UTC

When they're not busy harassing 11 year old girls.

They're Chaotic. That's it. It's not that they're neither good nor evil, they're both at the same time.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:32 pm UTC

Chaotic Awesome.

Czhorat

Postby Czhorat » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

I have to wonder how much of a long-term (or even medium-term) effect this kind of thing has. The DDoS attacks seem to me to be more of a nuisance than anything else, to be quickly forgotten once Anonymous has moved on to other targets.

Organizations like Wikileaks, so far as I can tell, have a better chance at actually changing the status quo. The release of diplomatic cables, for example, has given a window into the process of diplomacy and perhaps helped us understand it - or at least helped real news organizations like the NYTimes better educate us. The Afghan war documents told us things about the war effort the government would rather have kept secret. These acts have consequences which we're still seeing today as opposed to, for example, the DDoS attack on Mastercard which is likely all but forgotten. Or this bit of graffiti on the WBC website that seems to accomplish nothing more than letting the folks at WBC paint themselves as victims.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:37 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:When they're not busy harassing 11 year old girls.

They're Chaotic. That's it. It's not that they're neither good nor evil, they're both at the same time.

I didn't dismiss the fact that they do some shitty things as well. But the point is if a mob has some power, than people who use power to circumvent the law or such aren't the only people throwing their weight around.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:04 pm UTC

Czhorat wrote:I have to wonder how much of a long-term (or even medium-term) effect this kind of thing has. The DDoS attacks seem to me to be more of a nuisance than anything else, to be quickly forgotten once Anonymous has moved on to other targets.

Organizations like Wikileaks, so far as I can tell, have a better chance at actually changing the status quo. The release of diplomatic cables, for example, has given a window into the process of diplomacy and perhaps helped us understand it - or at least helped real news organizations like the NYTimes better educate us. The Afghan war documents told us things about the war effort the government would rather have kept secret. These acts have consequences which we're still seeing today as opposed to, for example, the DDoS attack on Mastercard which is likely all but forgotten. Or this bit of graffiti on the WBC website that seems to accomplish nothing more than letting the folks at WBC paint themselves as victims.
Of course, Anonymous can point out the shortcomings of others in a very public fashion. I mean, I'm not saying that Anonymous should be treated as heros and given a parade, but I'm also not trying to say that they don't do a lot of good in this day and age. It's.. pretty much what I'd expect from a mass group of hundreds if not thousands (if not tens of thousands) of individuals working in an environment where it's still possible to be one of ten thousand yet retain one's individual identity - a lot of jackass behavior wrapped in noble causes.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:11 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Chaotic Awesome.

More like Chaotic Annoying.

BAZING.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

Scuttlemutt

Postby Scuttlemutt » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:12 pm UTC

Rofl Good? </puns>

buddy431

Postby buddy431 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:06 pm UTC

poxic wrote:Also, it seems that old man Phelps was disbarred a while back. I haven't found any (easy-to-find) references about what other clan members might be on the bar, and the "Phelps Chartered" web page is (surpriiiiise) down. :mrgreen:

His daughter, Shirley Phelps-Roper, is the clan's spokesperson and attorney. I found a source saying that 11 of his 13 kids are attorneys: this isn't a family of ignorant hillbillies.

Interestingly, Phelps used to be a very active civil rights lawyer, and made a lot of money, and enemies, defending blacks who were discriminated against in Topeka. It's really hard to know his motivation. Is he in it for the money? The publicity? Does he really believe that he's morally and religiously right? He made a lot of enemies standing up for a cause that most people now agree with, maybe he's taken the mindset that if people don't like what he's doing, he must doing something right. In some ways he's sort of a tragic figure: he feels that he's right and that the whole world's set against him (or at least that's the persona he puts forward).

Edit: Here's the article I was citing: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/05/05/hate.preacher/index.html?hpt=C2
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:21 pm UTC

His background is highly unusual. Then again, people tend to be very complex, so it isn't too far-fetched to see how he could support one group so vigorously yet condemn another with such vitriol.

Then again, the WBC could just be doing all of this to gain publicity, and they aren't as crazy as they make themselves out to be.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:38 pm UTC

You know, there's a part of me that wants WBC to accidentally pick a target which will do anything to stop them, including very extreme methods that makes them realize that it isn't about lawsuits anymore. Am I being very evil?

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:41 pm UTC

achan1058 wrote:You know, there's a part of me that wants WBC to accidentally pick a target which will do anything to stop them, including very extreme methods that makes them realize that it isn't about lawsuits anymore. Am I being very evil?

Has the WBC ever suggested it would be good if someone was murdered? If so your just wishing they are forced to live with their own standards.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:47 pm UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:
achan1058 wrote:You know, there's a part of me that wants WBC to accidentally pick a target which will do anything to stop them, including very extreme methods that makes them realize that it isn't about lawsuits anymore. Am I being very evil?

Has the WBC ever suggested it would be good if someone was murdered? If so your just wishing they are forced to live with their own standards.
I don't know, actually.

Edit: After looking at Wikipedia, it seems to be no, surprisingly. They are staying clear of it, maybe because they could potentially get sued themselves instead? I am surprised that they haven't been arrested due to hate crime yet. Maybe the constitution needs to be tighten up a bit? I am no American, so I don't know.

iamevn

Postby iamevn » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:21 am UTC

I always find it to be hilarious when "serious" news sites report on Anonymous. In my experience there is very little organization or structure and everything that happens happens for the lulz. Sometimes they do have some sort of structure and the project moves to irc, but usually it starts and dies on the chan boards.

also ¡This cheese is burning me!'d really hard with the memes dropped in the vid.

oh and definitely chaotic neutral

Return to “News & Articles”