Anonymous Hacks Westboro Baptist Church's site

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Re: Anonymous Hacks Westboro Baptist Church's site

Postby Babam » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:53 am UTC

I also agree on Chaotic Neutral, Anon strikes at anything they want as long as the lulz extracted is greater than the effort expended.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:03 am UTC

You could interpret that as Chaotic Evil, they do it for their own lulz so it's selfish/evil but sometimes the things they're doing for their own lulz could be considered good things by some people.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:10 am UTC

Babam wrote:I also agree on Chaotic Neutral, Anon strikes at anything they want as long as the lulz extracted is greater than the effort expended.

It doesn't seem to be the case that they only ever do things for the lulz. Their choice of targets is too consistent for that. By and large they go after things that worth opposing. Scientology, governments or companies trying to surpress freedom of speech, the WBC, 11 year old girls...

Ok perhaps not the last one. But in general they really do seem to have some sort of agenda other than merely lulz.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:17 am UTC

Chaotic Evil is more about exploiting people for your own gain, IIRC... But they rarely do massive serious damage. Just being annoying is more CN, methinks.

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:56 am UTC

pretty much what I'd expect from a mass group of hundreds if not thousands

All the way back in 2008, /b/ alone (which comprises 30% of the website's traffic) was getting 200,000 posts a day. So I'd say something more like millions, if not tens of millions.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

iamevn

Postby iamevn » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:05 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
pretty much what I'd expect from a mass group of hundreds if not thousands

All the way back in 2008, /b/ alone (which comprises 30% of the website's traffic) was getting 200,000 posts a day. So I'd say something more like millions, if not tens of millions.

yeah, but anonymous != /b/

buddy431

Postby buddy431 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:08 am UTC

achan1058 wrote:
mmmcannibalism wrote:
achan1058 wrote:You know, there's a part of me that wants WBC to accidentally pick a target which will do anything to stop them, including very extreme methods that makes them realize that it isn't about lawsuits anymore. Am I being very evil?

Has the WBC ever suggested it would be good if someone was murdered? If so your just wishing they are forced to live with their own standards.
I don't know, actually.

Edit: After looking at Wikipedia, it seems to be no, surprisingly. They are staying clear of it, maybe because they could potentially get sued themselves instead? I am surprised that they haven't been arrested due to hate crime yet. Maybe the constitution needs to be tighten up a bit? I am no American, so I don't know.

The WBC try to follow the law, and they generally do a pretty good job at it. While I disagree with the "church's" (i.e. family's) message, I'm also the type of person who believes that their rights should be vigorously defended by the legal system. If someone were to take extreme, illegal methods against them, I would expect that their enemies be prosecuted to the fullest extent possible. When the government picks sides on what type of views are acceptable, especially with regards to political, religious, or moral issues, we all lose.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:44 am UTC

Babam wrote:I also agree on Chaotic Neutral, Anon strikes at anything they want as long as the lulz extracted is greater than the effort expended.

I agree on Chaotic Neutral as well. Anonymous has done some very reprehensable things...

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/ ... 3/epilepsy

Of course, Anonymous is not a single group. The Wikileaks Anonymous IMO is classified as chaotic neutral, maybe chaotic stupid even IMO (Mastercard doesn't have the right to protest against Wikileaks?). Epilepsy foundation Anonymous was chaotic evil. Seriously, causing major seizures to people for the lulz is straight up sadistic. WBC Anonymous I'd say is closer to Chaotic Good maybe, but I don't like the idea of it either. At least WBC are reprehensible...
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

dedwrekka

Postby dedwrekka » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:58 am UTC

iamevn wrote:I always find it to be hilarious when "serious" news sites report on Anonymous. In my experience there is very little organization or structure and everything that happens happens for the lulz.

Actually they do seem to have a semi-specialized organization which Anon alluded to in the interview as a reason they were sure that it wasn't an Anonymous attack. Though I can't and wouldn't initially believe the claims that it was done by th3j35t3r, because, for one, it and Anon have been trading blows several times recently. Though I did find it odd that the WBC knew who th3j35t3r was without wasting a second, but still had little to no knowledge of Anonymous. Between the two, I'd try to piss off Anon the least because, as script-kiddie filled as it may be, there are plenty of them and they're backed by excellent blacks and greys who can do a bit more damage than just take down your website. Though, as it is/was with the SA forums, even the SKs do a lot of damage without any effort. Welcome to the information age.

I'm still not 100% sure that j35t3r isn't multiple people or that Anon is made impenetrable by anonymity. True neutral until I'm sure they aren't just balancing someone's books.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:10 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:But I don't see how that would work in a case where every single member has the screen name "Anonymous". Anybody could claim to be a given individual and there'd be no way to prove or disprove it. Anybody could usurp the "king's" name and face.

Relatively little planning is done on 4chan (by the way, 4chan is not forced Anonymous...you can have screennames, but doing so is somewhat frowned upon). Most planning is done on IRC, which forbids people from sharing the same nick. It is pseudonymous, not anonymous, similar to these fora. The people in charge of any given operation are still well-known in the context of that operation. There is no way you can wrest control from these people unless you actually trick them into giving you control. It's still anonymous in the sense that everyone might as well be anonymous. A hivemind of people doing what the majority generally agree upon, and if the leaders go against that, it's trivial for Anonymous to move to a new channel/server/medium.

EDIT: also, the article didn't mention this, but th3j3st3r DDoSed the Anonymous servers for supporting Wikileaks a few months ago.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:18 pm UTC

buddy431 wrote:The WBC try to follow the law, and they generally do a pretty good job at it. While I disagree with the "church's" (i.e. family's) message, I'm also the type of person who believes that their rights should be vigorously defended by the legal system. If someone were to take extreme, illegal methods against them, I would expect that their enemies be prosecuted to the fullest extent possible. When the government picks sides on what type of views are acceptable, especially with regards to political, religious, or moral issues, we all lose.

The WBC exploit the loopholes in the laws as much as they can. And if you lend any credence to the testimony of estranged Phelps children or the reporting work of a few reporters, Fred Phelps has engaged in serious physical and emotional abuse of the members of his clan.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:25 pm UTC

I wonder if I could get elected on a platform of closing every single loophole they use, once they've used it.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:45 pm UTC

well, I'd vote for you anyway.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

buddy431

Postby buddy431 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:54 am UTC

Oregonaut wrote:I wonder if I could get elected on a platform of closing every single loophole they use, once they've used it.

Yeah, I'm sure a platform of doing away with the right to peacefully assemble is going to earn you a lot of votes. The federal government and a number of states have already passed laws banning people from protesting at a funeral (typically within 300-500 feet). Typically, though, the WBC stake out things like football games, concerts, churches, and even an appliance store. You can try to hit them with trespassing ordinances and such, but the fact is, they have just as much right to express their opinions as PETA picketing KFC or the circus. Yeah, US laws that protect speech protect obnoxious, hateful speech as much as they protect more acceptable discourse. That's the price of living in such a permissive nation.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:59 pm UTC

The right to peacefully assemble is not the only loophole they are exploiting. Though I'm sure it made for a great snarky talking point for you.

The EGE wrote:

Vash

Postby Vash » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:43 pm UTC

Czhorat wrote:I have to ... themselves as victims.

I'm guessing all of those companies lost a good deal of money (even in one day). It also is a slight deterrent, though if it was more regular it would be more of one.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:51 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:The right to peacefully assemble is not the only loophole they are exploiting. Though I'm sure it made for a great snarky talking point for you.

Out of curiosity what other loopholes are they leaping through?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:04 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Oregonaut wrote:The right to peacefully assemble is not the only loophole they are exploiting. Though I'm sure it made for a great snarky talking point for you.

Out of curiosity what other loopholes are they leaping through?

http://www.southfloridagaynews.com/news/national-news/1014-infamous-hate-group-makes-use-of-legal-loopholes-to-stay-in-business.html

Acting as their own lawyer/client combo, they sue for lawyers fees. It allows them to take money from the aggreived to continue their business.

The EGE wrote:

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:17 pm UTC

In the situation that was presented there, they were sued had to defend themselves and won. And thusly they got their lawyer's fees paid. Do you feel that you shouldn't be entitled to payment if you were a lawyer and you were defending yourself in a wrongful termination suit based on racial discrimination? The root of the problem here is that their hate speech is protected by law as freedom of speech. That is what needs to be "fixed".

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:46 pm UTC

I'm under the impression they're big fans of appeals. Which isn't to say that the appeals process is a bad thing, but that every ruling that has ever been found in favor of the bereaved whose funerals were disrupted by the WBC has been overturned in a subsequent appeals court.

That was part of that whole shtick with Bill O'reily, who isn't the best person on the planet but whom I applaud heartily for his actions of paying for the legal fee's of the father of that soldier whose funeral they protested.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:02 pm UTC

In related news: The WBC protested a local highschool in my area. There is zero distinguishable traits about this highschool, but the counter protest was pretty large. Its close enough to the University of Maryland campus that a lot of college students stopped by. I didn't see any WBC protestors though...

pictures!

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:24 am UTC

broken_escalator wrote:pictures!

I like the "Pirates hate Ninjas" and "God Rickroll" signs.

I also now dislike anonymous slightly less.

EDIT: I also could have sworn it was illegal to make clothing out of the American flag...
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:56 am UTC

MisterCheif wrote:

EDIT: I also could have sworn it was illegal to make clothing out of the American flag...

Wouldn't Steve Rogers be totally fucked, then?
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:59 am UTC

MisterCheif wrote:

Its against the flag code, not illegal.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:13 am UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:
MisterCheif wrote:

Its against the flag code, not illegal.

Ah. My mistake.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Virtual_Aardvark

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:30 pm UTC

Incidentally those little flag lapel pins are also frowned upon. You know; the ones everyone was criticizing Obama for not wearing.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:34 pm UTC

Obligatory Zoidberg reference.

zmatt

Postby zmatt » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:01 pm UTC

Anon is definitely chaotic neutral. Most of the bad things they do probably have more to do with the fact that they are Anon so can get away with a lot and mobs can be very cruel things. It's obvious that there is some moral judgment there. Aside from wikileaks it seems they tend to support causes that the public agrees with. Perhaps because its less likely they would face retribution, or maybe because anon is also part of the public so the opinions of members tends to overlap with the general consensus. As for things like trolling Oprah and you dun goofed the internet loves to make fun of people for their ignorance and inability to understand and cope with technology. I hope the local news stations who cover anon get trolled simply for talking about crap they don't understand and that girl was never in any real danger, only the danger of embarrassment and being annoyed to hell and back.
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:51 pm UTC

zmatt wrote: I hope the local news stations who cover anon get trolled simply for talking about crap they don't understand and that girl was never in any real danger, only the danger of embarrassment and being annoyed to hell and back.

Yeah, nobody ever kills themselves over being harassed!

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:52 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:
zmatt wrote: I hope the local news stations who cover anon get trolled simply for talking about crap they don't understand and that girl was never in any real danger, only the danger of embarrassment and being annoyed to hell and back.

Especially not already depressed 11 year old girls!
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:54 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
BlackSails wrote:

No adults in positions with large amounts of face time ever kill themselves over being harassed by anonymous individuals on the internet. Equating the two would be disingenuous.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:58 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:
BlackSails wrote:

No adults in positions with large amounts of face time ever kill themselves over being harassed by anonymous individuals on the internet. Equating the two would be disingenuous.

Zmatt was the one talking about jessi slaughter

Return to “News & Articles”