Stand Up America plans to clog highway emergency lanes

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Stand Up America plans to clog highway emergency lanes

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:43 pm UTC

Stand Up America: Road to Ruin

Description:
Spoiler:
Road to Ruin…Just Stop! Event on 3-13-11
Here we go folks, its a good time to “Just Stop”. Stop the breakneck ride down the “Road to Ruin!”

SUA is promoting this effort for people to express their outrage. To vent in a manner that cannot be overlooked by anyone! This first wave of action is something the people can really grasp, and in no way shape or form does it condone any ill-action, rather, its about civility, and its akin to a sit-in. You can take it for anything you wish, but it is in our educational directive and charter that SUA wants America to observe, learn, and understand that the time is now for action.

SUA National Call to Action Event
Brief Description – Sarah Palin called the Obama Administration’s actions as the “Road to Ruin”! Like most of the USA now, we at Stand Up America think it is a great way to express yourself and learn what is really happening to our country, so what can we do? Well, it seems the normal methods do not work because of entrenched political machinery, moneyed interests, power seeking for power’s sake, and a media that is just plan in the tank.

In the past, petitions were signed, marches on Washington and elsewhere were held, Tea Parties were created, letters were written, calls were made, new representatives were elected, yet, the road to ruin is still there, and the Obama Administration has the pedal to the floor, the speedometer is pegged, and there are no brakes. All our efforts have for the most part FAILED!

So how do we make our voices known? How do we finally succeed? How do we send a clear message that cannot be twisted by the media, misinterpreted by politicians, or co-opted by Obama apologists? Well, we have come up with one interesting new way. Are you game? It won’t cost you any money short of a gallon of gas. It won’t take much of your time, only about an hour. It won’t mean travel to distant cities. It won’t mean crowds to wade through, and it won’t interfere with your life too much.

What it will be is FUN, and a great way to vent your frustration, without being labeled, or maligned!

Itinerary:
Spoiler:
Here is what is planned:
• Sunday, March 13th, 2011 – 4 PM Eastern, 3 PM Central, 2 PM Mountain, and 1 PM Pacific time;

• We want everyone to get into their cars, trucks, motorcycles, RVs, Semis, box trucks, and any other vehicle, and drive to your nearest highway or main route;

• Don’t go far, just enough to get in a safe position to pull over to the shoulder, and park, engine running, headlights and flashers on;

• Why? To take a cell call, or make one or several. After all, law enforcement recommends that you pull over to the side to take your call or text.

• Hook up a boat trailer, a snow mobile hauler, or anything to make the line look miles and miles long, bring your tractor-trailer;

• Set up a long motorcycle run to a STOP;

• Get your car club involved to show off those great hot rods and collectibles;

• Imagine others driving by wondering “what the heck”? Wave to everyone;

• Get ten friends to do the same; or go to an over pass and hang temporary signs saying – “Time to stop!” Just imagine the imagery! But be SAFE!

• Once pulled over to the side, place calls or texts to your friends, take pictures, send tweets, flood Facebook with messages and photos, along with several million others on other highways across the land.

• Stay one hour if you can, get your friends to do the same, line up all your vehicles in a safe manner as far off the side as you can, and hit your horns.

• One hour gives the media a chance to react, a chance to get footage. Imagine the traffic reports!

• Hang a sign inside your back window, or use temporary soap to write a message safely on the window;

• Be a part of millions of people saying: “Stop the madness, we are pulling over and just stopping!”

Imagine the image, when every news outlet in the USA must take notice.

Helicopters recording the event, YouTube filling with videos from every spot in America, with one message: “Just Stop”! Imagine seeing 300 cars pulled over for miles in California, in Texas, in New Jersey…etc.

Imagine the evening news and cable stations saying, “What the heck is going on?”

Do the math. If a car is 17 feet long, and 10 feet is maintained between each vehicle, it takes only 195 cars to stretch one mile. Imagine 500 tractor trailers pulling over for one hour! That’s over seven miles!

Be safe as you illegally park along the freeway with the intention of completely blocking emergency lanes:
Spoiler:
Be SAFE though!
• Be safe, peaceful, patient, kind, considerate, cautious, and alert;

• Be respectful, and patriotic to a fault;

• Stay away from congested areas, you know where they are, do some research;

• Leave plenty of room so you can pull back out safely, in turn, one-at-a-time;

• Help each other when stopping or starting back out into traffic lanes;

• Be courteous to your fellow “Stoppers”;

• Do not do anything illegal, and do not get out and walk, Observe and obey all laws;

• Don’t cause any interference with the flow of traffic;

• Do not disobey any lawful order;

• Be the PATRIOTIC icon of virtue that you are!

• BE SAFE!!!

We are on the “Road to Ruin”, and we are stopping on the side of that road to protest the downfall of our country!

We are not going to drive on that road anymore!

Legal disclaimer, in which it is announced that it's not really illegal if you don't get arrested:
Spoiler:
Editor’s Note:

Stand Up America does not condone breaking any laws, period! If its illegal, DO NOT DO IT! However, if you wish to participate in an event such as this, we suggest you consult local ordinances, and find out if you can demonstrate your opinion in this fashion.

Disclaimer: We have stated from the start, that if it is illegal do not do it, if you are uncomfortable with it, don’t do it, but it is not illegal to pull off to the shoulder of a highway to attend to any emergency you may have, or for any reason you feel you cannot continue to operate safely in a travel lane!

Find the best place for you, no one is telling you where, find out for yourself.

Ostensibly, you are not supposed to pull to the shoulder of a super highway for anything other than an emergency, a breakdown, or any other issue that prevents safe operation in the travel lanes. However, after consulting California Highway Patrol officers, they did say, if ordered to move along, you must obey or face arrest, but they are not going to arrest you for pulling over alone!

It does not have to be a freeway with limited access, it can be a State Route, or main thoroughfare, or any place you wish to make your statement. Its your choice, and yours alone.

Its called ‘civil disobedience’ only after you fail to comply with a legal order from a police officer. Prior to that, it is just you pulling over for a reason you deem necessary.

This is...ill-advised. I'm pretty sure "any emergency" does not include political feelings or anything not actually related to driving.

The whole website is interesting to say the least. Their four other National Call to Action projects aren't actually plans for anything. They held a gala dinner for some bigwigs and had children talk about the colors of the flag and (oh boy!) a little girl recited the Gettysburg Address from memory. They have a pdf booklet, an unexplained and poorly written legislation proposal to legalize nullification, and a long rambling tirade about how international trade is somehow destroying US sovereignty or something? It also mentions immigration laws and port security which I think I was supposed to assume are bad, because I don't see any explanation for how they destroy US sovereignty.
Last edited by Iulus Cofield on Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mdyrud

Re: Palin fans plan to clog highway emergency lanes

Postby mdyrud » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:56 pm UTC

The thread title is a bit misleading, wouldn't you say? Yes, the people who made that site are most definitely Palin fans, but I saw nothing indicating any involvement with Palin, other than the fact they took "Road to Ruin" from something she said.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Re: Stand Up America plans to clog highway emergency lanes

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:06 pm UTC

Ah, the blog I originally read called them "Palin fans" and I fact check failed. Changed.

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:32 pm UTC

Stand Up America wrote:Well, it seems the normal methods do not work

Normal methods of getting one's political ideas out? Like voting? Which is why congress has a republican majority?
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:38 pm UTC

Those are all RINOs. :roll:

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:21 pm UTC

Oh good, I always love protests that "won’t cost you any money short of a gallon of gas. It won’t take much of your time, only about an hour. It won’t mean travel to distant cities. It won’t mean crowds to wade through, and it won’t interfere with your life too much." Way to sacrifice for the cause jackasses. Maybe you could make conditions more unsafe for your fellow Americans by stalling your car in the middle of the road while you pop off for a picnic. At any rate, this protest will be about as effective as a don't vote on November 23rd campaign and will likely fail harder than the French cavalry charge at Agincourt.

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:47 pm UTC

Yeah, they didn't think this one out very well. There's over 4 million miles of road in the US. About 70% of that is local roads, which leaves about 1.2 million miles of highway and Interstate (Interstate is only about 47,000 miles). To get even a 1% coverage on highways they'd have to get over 2 million people to participate. I don't think that they've got anywhere near the following to pull that off. Realistically, they'll pull off maybe 0.00008%. Sorry guys, but you'll be about as noticeable as regular traffic on the 101 between Fulton and Van Nuys.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:57 pm UTC

Jesus the Tea Party is lame. Stick it to the man by parking illegally? The fuck?

Garm

Postby Garm » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

IcedT wrote:Jesus the Tea Party is lame. Stick it to the man by parking illegally? The fuck?

You have to remember that the Tea Party is just a bunch of old white people who don't have a lot of experience with direct action beyond voting. They probably remember seeing marches on the TV during the 60s but it's hard to link arms in solidarity when you're in an electronic mobility scooter.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

Garm wrote:
IcedT wrote:Jesus the Tea Party is lame. Stick it to the man by parking illegally? The fuck?

You have to remember that the Tea Party is just a bunch of old white people who don't have a lot of experience with direct action beyond voting. They probably remember seeing marches on the TV during the 60s but it's hard to link arms in solidarity when you're in an electronic mobility scooter.

I know, but the tea party is actually pretty fashionable with young conservatives (a rare breed, but they're out there). You'd think there'd be somebody who'd point out how ridiculous this is.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:19 pm UTC

IcedT wrote:
Garm wrote:

I know, but the tea party is actually pretty fashionable with young conservatives (a rare breed, but they're out there). You'd think there'd be somebody who'd point out how ridiculous this is.

Honestly this sounds more like a -young- conservative thing. I mean it's got the conservative thing about obeying authorities (the disclaimer not to pass in to the realm of actual civil disobedience), but it also has artifacts of people who have been raised with the "Gentler/kinder, non-confrontational, self-affirming, ego-boosting, everybody gets a trophy just for participating" bull that was so popular in the 90's.

Just go as far with it as you're comfortable, use this as an opportunity to show off your customized car....
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:36 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:Honestly this sounds more like a -young- conservative thing. I mean it's got the conservative thing about obeying authorities (the disclaimer not to pass in to the realm of actual civil disobedience), but it also has artifacts of people who have been raised with the "Gentler/kinder, non-confrontational, self-affirming, ego-boosting, everybody gets a trophy just for participating" bull that was so popular in the 90's.

Just go as far with it as you're comfortable, use this as an opportunity to show off your customized car....
This is true. The protest requires next to no sacrifice on the part of the people doing it and has no clear policy goal, so it pretty much boils down to the participants giving themselves a pat on the back. They even justified it as "it'll be fun and easy and people will see you on youtube!"

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:53 pm UTC

At first I thought maybe this was about having people block parts of roads where jackass drivers decide to ignore the rules. Y'know, like going straight through a turn only lane and merging onto someone, or driving down the shoulder of a highway instead of merging.

But nope. It's a very mellow protest that will look like a bunch of people are having car trouble.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

I don't think anyone would notice a difference around here, really.

I thought it would be like a car version of Critical Mass: a bunch of cars drive at the minimum speed (40 mph, typically) for a bit. This is not much of a protest.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:23 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:I don't think anyone would notice a difference around here, really.

This Sunday there will be a scattering of people across the nation pulled over on highways towing boats in their custom hotrods waving at traffic that probably is thinking "What the hell is up with that @$$hole."

In other news: Trip down "Highway to Hell" continues unabated. Suntan lotion shortage predicted.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:19 pm UTC

Well if they aren't willing to make sacrifices/risk arrest to get their message across, this is hardly a protest, is it?

At best, this could be called a lukewarm expression of disapproval for the policies of the democrats. I mean, I'm more disappointed than outraged over this.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:25 pm UTC

I was just thinking how crappy it would be to sit in an idle car on a highway for an hour. I'm not a doctor but I wouldn't want to be around all those car fumes if I could avoid it!

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:27 pm UTC

I'm mostly concerned that if enough of them gather (as they point out it only takes 700 cars to block five miles of freeway emergency lanes and less if people bring trailers as they are urging) then people will die or be seriously injured from not being able to pull off safely and get rear-ended. Or, heaven forbid, they park in the emergency lane and get out of their cars.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:29 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:I'm mostly concerned that if enough of them gather (as they point out it only takes 700 cars to block five miles of freeway emergency lanes and less if people bring trailers as they are urging) then people will die or be seriously injured from not being able to pull off safely and get rear-ended. Or, heaven forbid, they park in the emergency lane and get out of their cars.

That was what I was thinking when I first saw this story too. They seem to be trying to cause as little trouble as possible, yet if they block off parts of the emergency lane like they plan to it could be incredibly dangerous both to them and to other motorists.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:34 pm UTC

I'm guessing the most likely accident that will happen is related to someone getting out of their car. Unless they are coordinating highways to protest on, it doesn't seem like they'll really block too much of the roads? Then again, I guess it depends on the highways for the area. Here in the DC-metro area we have so many highways to choose from!

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:08 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Image

I dunno, someone in that picture is clearly getting a blowjob.

Anyway, I agree with the general sentiment in this thread. This action is lame. Ok tea party, here's some advice. I know it's Oh me yarm SOCIALISM! but pay attention to French farmers and how they protest. Watch and learn.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:53 pm UTC

The OP Legal Disclaimer wrote:Ostensibly, you are not supposed to pull to the shoulder of a super highway for anything other than an emergency, a breakdown, or any other issue that prevents safe operation in the travel lanes. However, after consulting California Highway Patrol officers, they did say, if ordered to move along, you must obey or face arrest, but they are not going to arrest you for pulling over alone!

I've think I've only used the breakdown lane four times, and in three of those, a cop stopped by fairly soon after to see if everything was OK. I can't imagine somebody sitting in their car for half an hour without a cop stopping by and, upon finding out there's nothing wrong, sending them away.

Making a protest convenient misses the whole point of a protest, which is to say that whatever issue you're upset about is more important to you than whatever else you had planned that day. It reminds me of what Some Guy With a Website said: The demonstrators in Wisconsin are actual protestors fighting for their rights; Tea Partiers are just cosplaying.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:29 am UTC

Diadem wrote:
broken_escalator wrote:Image

I dunno, someone in that picture is clearly getting a blowjob.
And yet he STILL doesn't give a fuck.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:55 am UTC

Hmm, this seems oddly similar to "Hacktivism".

You clog the internet with DDOS attacks, without even leaving your house. And with all the ruckus, you expect the people to actually care about what you did, because you caused an inconvenience to them.

As per "hacktivism", I think demonstrating your point directly with marches and protests will be far more effective. Being the asshole who's sitting alone on some highway seems like the wrong way to make a point. Similarly, taking down a website for 24 hours or so does make news, but it doesn't make a statement.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

mdyrud

Postby mdyrud » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:51 am UTC

Just to throw it out there, I'm skeptical about just how much Tea Party support this thing has. It could just be someone who said "hey guys, this would be cool" and then wrote a blog post about it.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:02 am UTC

Their gala was attended by 150 including a retired general and some sort of congressman, for whatever that's worth.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:54 am UTC

mdyrud wrote:Just to throw it out there, I'm skeptical about just how much Tea Party support this thing has. It could just be someone who said "hey guys, this would be cool" and then wrote a blog post about it.

It's possible that this group has nothing to do with the Tea Party whatsoever.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:54 am UTC

Apparently a common cause of accidents on highways is someone being on the hard shoulder, and another driver hits them, because you naturally steer towards whatever you're looking at (I guess this is assuming the other driver is distracted/tired/whatever). So the end result of this may actually be a bunch of car accidents, potentially fatal because of the likely speed involved. Way to go, guys. You really know how to protest.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

iChef

Postby iChef » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

In general I think this is a pretty stupid and pointless exercise. I doubt it will have any effect and probably will go unnoticed. I also highly doubt that they are planning to clog emergency lanes seeing as how there is a section in the announcement that states not to violate any local laws. I also doubt there will be enough people to cause a congestion. I completely fail to see what the point of any of this is.
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:55 pm UTC

So the tea party gets its inspiration from French unions, except they are too cowardly to actually block the roads?

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:01 pm UTC

It would be one thing if they were like... I dunno, a fifth* as dedicated as the civil rights protesters, or 60's anti-war protesters, or protesters in Egypt or Tunisia. But this thing is just so Milquetoast that it's absurd. If I didn't know better I'd think that it was an astoundingly poor attempt at satire.

*fraction cited from Department of Pulling Statistics-Out-Of-My-@$$

I suppose Monday we'll find out if there were any significant number of protesters that resisted arrest screaming about the road to hell or not. I mean nutballs-crazy is newsworthy these days, right?

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:47 pm UTC

it's a passive aggressive tactic!

Once they're told to "move their damned cars" because there's no way they have an emergency when they have shoe-shined windshields with dribble written on them, then they can cry out that the liberals are oppressing them, whip more people into the frenzy, and then repeat this cycle about four more times until it actually becomes an issue.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:09 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Hmm, this seems oddly similar to "Hacktivism".

You clog the internet with DDOS attacks, without even leaving your house. And with all the ruckus, you expect the people to actually care about what you did, because you caused an inconvenience to them.

As per "hacktivism", I think demonstrating your point directly with marches and protests will be far more effective. Being the asshole who's sitting alone on some highway seems like the wrong way to make a point. Similarly, taking down a website for 24 hours or so does make news, but it doesn't make a statement.

I think the better neologism portmanteau is "slacktivism" - the type of activism that people are tripping over themselves to get on board, as long as it doesn't take more than an hour or require them to stand for a long time, or walk somewhere, or, really, get out of a chair. It's like people who think they're doing something by changing their Facebook status - "Look at me! I'm supporting a cause!" And still, not a fuck was given.

I don't do a lot of charity or a lot of championing of causes. Perhaps I should do more. But those I do support are ones to which I'm willing to invest time, money, effort and, if needed, a good deal of personal comfort. And I don't pretend it makes me a better person for doing it.
I looked out across the river today …

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:06 pm UTC

So... it's 3/14.

Did anyone hear anything?

Liberal media omission of noble conservative causes, or just a big flat amount of nothing? We report, you decide.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:15 pm UTC

philsov wrote:So... it's 3/14.

Did anyone hear anything?

Liberal media omission of noble conservative causes, or just a big flat amount of nothing? We report, you decide.

Heh, I forgot all about it by Saturday morning (actually by the time I left work on Friday). Didn't see any (though I didn't travel much on the highway) and nothing on the morning news.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:34 pm UTC

Google news search seems to be coming up empty. I'd say nobody noticed, because pulling over on the highway and not making your purpose clear is hardly an effective way to get your message across.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:18 pm UTC

I feel like if anything happened, the website would have proudly updated about how awesome their protest was.

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:24 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:I feel like if anything happened, the website would have proudly updated about how awesome their protest was.

Ehh, I'd give 'em a day or two to let people getting back to their cubicle-farms upload their pictures to the site administrator, who will probably have to update the page manually.

Return to “News & Articles”