Anonymous plans on releasing BoA documents

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Arariel

Anonymous plans on releasing BoA documents

Postby Arariel » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:42 am UTC

Reuters wrote:CHARLOTTE, N.C./WASHINGTON, D.C. (Reuters) - Anonymous, a hacker group sympathetic to WikiLeaks, plans to release e-mails obtained from Bank of America Corp early Monday morning, according to posts on the group's Twitter feed.

The group, unrelated to the document leak website founded by Julian Assange, said it plans to release documents exposing "corruption and fraud" at the largest U.S. bank by assets.

A representative of Anonymous said the documents relate to the issue of whether Bank of America has improperly foreclosed on homes. The representative added that he had not seen the documents, but he has been briefed on their contents.

A Bank of America Corp spokesman said the documents were non-foreclosure related clerical and administrative documents stolen by a former Balboa Insurance employee.

The division -- which BofA has since agreed to sell to Australian insurer QBE Insurance Group -- provides mortgage and auto insurance for banks, and provides home insurance for consumers.

"We are confident that his extravagant assertions are untrue," the spokesman said.

Sounds good, hope the info turns out to be big.

CorruptUser

Re: Anonymous plans on releasing BoA documents

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:48 am UTC

Sigh, have our media institutions become so worthless that it's up to /b/ to expose corruption?

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:49 am UTC

I know your question was rhetorical...but yes.

drkslvr

Postby drkslvr » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:17 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Sigh, have our media institutions become so worthless that it's up to /b/ to expose corruption?

if it's true, it's both sad and hilarious. but i think we should wait and see. maybe BoA isn't lying... very much.
Help a paralyzed kitten get surgery! Fundly.com/Help-Link-Walk-Again
Like Link's page for photos and updates on his status: Facebook.com/HelpLinkWalkAgain

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:07 am UTC

Also, if anonymous has access to those documents, why has one idiot not gone off and released them already? It's not like /b/-tards actually have self-restraint.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:14 am UTC

Thatsprejudiced.gif

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:19 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:Also, if anonymous has access to those documents, why has one idiot not gone off and released them already? It's not like /b/-tards actually have self-restraint.

Because "anonymous" doesn't. Some guy does, and at least one other guy (the one who runs the Anon twitter feed) plans to release them to the public.

Relevant twitter is http://twitter.com/#!/OperationLeakS, getting 503 on some of the links though.

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:07 am UTC

This will be covering reddit from head to toe tomorrow, and CNN will still have 24-hour coverage about the slightest possibility of radioactive leakage from Japan's failing nuclear infrastructure.

To quote Nedry from Jurassic Park (movie), "Nobody cares!"
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

juststrange

Postby juststrange » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:05 pm UTC

I'm curious how long it will be before Anon collapses under their own weight and image. Pretty soon, anyone who pulls any sort of hack, be it white hat or black hat, will just claim they are Anon. The public won't know the difference, but the "real" Anon will probably get twerked (see any serial killer on film that is copy-catted and pissed at the person for dragging down thier image). That said, they'd have to do something Anon wouldn't do, and thats a very small list.

PeterCai

Postby PeterCai » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:36 pm UTC

juststrange wrote:I'm curious how long it will be before Anon collapses under their own weight and image. Pretty soon, anyone who pulls any sort of hack, be it white hat or black hat, will just claim they are Anon. The public won't know the difference, but the "real" Anon will probably get twerked (see any serial killer on film that is copy-catted and pissed at the person for dragging down thier image). That said, they'd have to do something Anon wouldn't do, and thats a very small list.

There's no real anon, anyone who claims to be anon is anon.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:42 pm UTC

juststrange wrote:That said, they'd have to do something Anon wouldn't do, and thats a very small list.

Abusing cats is the only thing that comes immediately to mind.
I looked out across the river today …

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:14 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Sigh, have our media institutions become so worthless that it's up to /b/ to expose corruption?

Legitimate media institutions are nominally bound by ethics agreements not to commit outright illegalities to steal documents themselves. Limited to cultivating sources who will talk, Sunshine Laws, and sources who will go come forward to the institution with documents they stole. It's why neither Wikileaks nor Anonymous attaches the journalist labels to themselves.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

zmatt

Postby zmatt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:32 pm UTC

They can't be affiliated with /b/ in any way. If they were then these documents would have already been released. It's just a wikileaks sympathizer claiming to be Anon and the media and public at large are too ignorant to know that difference.
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:39 pm UTC

zmatt wrote:They can't be affiliated with /b/ in any way. If they were then these documents would have already been released. It's just a wikileaks sympathizer claiming to be Anon and the media and public at large are too ignorant to know that difference.

This.

Although, there is one other possibility. They are affiliated with /b/ and are pulling a trolling operation. This is why I only listen to Anon when something happens.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

zmatt

Postby zmatt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:14 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:
zmatt wrote:They can't be affiliated with /b/ in any way. If they were then these documents would have already been released. It's just a wikileaks sympathizer claiming to be Anon and the media and public at large are too ignorant to know that difference.

This.

Although, there is one other possibility. They are affiliated with /b/ and are pulling a trolling operation. This is why I only listen to Anon when something happens.

That could also be true come to think of it. So either it isn't /b/, or if it is then they are trolling for the lolz. You know, this could probably be answered pretty easily if we just watch 4chan's IRC.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:

This.

And now I have images of /b/ releasing classified documents annotated by lolcats, "NO U", and other memes photoshopped on to the original document.

Of course the irony would be that /b/ releases such an annotated document, but the media can't publish it for the futanari pasted to the image.

zmatt wrote:That could also be true come to think of it. So either it isn't /b/, or if it is then they are trolling for the lolz. You know, this could probably be answered pretty easily if we just watch 4chan's IRC.

I think reading the Necronomicon has a lower penalty to your SAN check.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Scuttlemutt

Postby Scuttlemutt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:26 pm UTC

When did Anonymous start being a single person/group? I always thought it was a "I am Sparticus!" sort of thing.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Scuttlemutt wrote:When did Anonymous start being a single person/group? I always thought it was a "I am Sparticus!" sort of thing.

Ever since the media misrepresented them as a single person/group. Didn't you get the memo?

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:52 pm UTC

Scuttlemutt wrote:When did Anonymous start being a single person/group? I always thought it was a "I am Sparticus!" sort of thing.

"Anon" is used so frequently by 4Chan/b/ when they're doing something horrifying/amusing/illegal and public that at this point anyone claiming to be doing something under the mantle of Anonymous is going to raise questions about associations with /b/.

Personally I don't see /b/ doing something like revealing corporate or government secrets unless there was some degree of digital vandalism to go along with it. Gigantic animated gif images with tacgnol summoning lighting to burn/redact the document as you try to read it, or a Flash presentation that X-seconds in to reading a document Admiral Ackbar pops up to proclaim it's a trap and you're redirected to meatspin.

And yeah, I know, I'm putting ideas on to the internet.

If it's a legit leak than I doubt that /b/ is involved, but we haven't seen the leaked docs yet to know if it's real or someone blowing smoke.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:59 pm UTC

I don't think Anonymous can accurately have cohesive personality traits, goals, or tendencies ascribed to them, at least not many. Like any group, there is a lot of individual depersonalization in actions, but the lack of cohesion and mask of anonymity means that there are many invisible splinter groups, each with its own collective personality and goals. I have seen threads full of hacktivists on /b/, I have seen threads with one aspiring hacktivist being booed and discouraged by countless others. I see no reason to suspect whoever is behind this is not fairly termed "part of Anonymous," although the fact that it hasn't been released at all yet fairly strongly indicates that no more than a few people are involved.

zmatt

Postby zmatt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:00 pm UTC

Its also worth pointing out that there is a difference between being anonymous and being Anonymous. These guys as far as I can tell are calling themselves Anonymous, which implies ties to 4chan. I doubt they have such ties, for obvious reasons, but by calling yourself Anonymous and not anonymous invokes it.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:05 pm UTC

I think it is worth clarifying the term "has ties to 4chan". As someone who visits 4chan and has passively observed some of the activism spawning from it, I would say the only requirement to having ties is posting on /b/ at least once or having read ideas which directly contributed to the activism.

zmatt

Postby zmatt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:20 pm UTC

i would say that they actively post on the boards and are involved with the planning and carrying out of raids that are either planned on 4chan proper or it's irc channel. just because you saw /b/ once doesn't mean you are acting as part of Anon. imo.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:31 pm UTC

Even if that one time you were there, you downloaded an infographic detailing how to carry out some political aim then followed the instructions?

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:32 pm UTC

Anon is Anon, simple as that. Any one who identifies with the collective and carries something out under the collectives name has done something as the collective. With the rise of media coverage for Anonymous actions and operations, I'm starting to see a lot of people who don't really know who or what Anon is. The best way to find out what Anon is and how it arose is to read the ED article on it. It provides a pretty comprehensive history, along with clear parameters for defining who is Anon and who isn't.

Anonymous is /b/, anonops, you, me, and every one.
Anonymous is legion, a force comprised of hundreds acting as a unguided collective. A blind force of hate, rage, and lulz.
Anonymous has no leader, and no command structure. Ideas and causes are brought into the light and either spread or die.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:38 pm UTC

Which one of those is running the Twitter account and therefore this particular leak?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

Didn't WikiLeaks claim to have some documents from a bank awhile back? I thought there was something about a hard drive that they have received some months ago.

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:14 pm UTC

It's why neither Wikileaks nor Anonymous attaches the journalist labels to themselves.

This is just a lie. Wikileaks consider themselves journalists, and do not break any laws to gather their documents. They are all provided by outside sources.
Bdthemag: "I don't always GM, but when I do I prefer to put my player's in situations that include pain and torture. Stay creative my friends."

Bayobeasts - the Pokemon: Orthoclase project.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Didn't WikiLeaks claim to have some documents from a bank awhile back? I thought there was something about a hard drive that they have received some months ago.

Yes, they have yet to leak it for some reason. Its rumored to be from Bank of America, but no one actually knows. IMO, this makes for a good trolling opportunity, which is why my gut instinct about this "story" is typical /b/tard troll fest.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:10 pm UTC

Griffin wrote:
It's why neither Wikileaks nor Anonymous attaches the journalist labels to themselves.

This is just a lie. Wikileaks consider themselves journalists, and do not break any laws to gather their documents. They are all provided by outside sources.

I'm almost certain I've heard interviews where Assange classifies Wikileaks as falling more on the activist spectrum than journalist spectrum.
http://www.progressive.org/mpsanchis120810.html
Assange, who acknowledged that his work is journalistic, added: “We are an activist organization. The method is transparency; the goal is justice.”
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:18 pm UTC

Hawknc wrote:Which one of those is running the Twitter account and therefore this particular leak?

Anonymous is running the twitter account. If the owner of said account identifies with Anon and works towards the collectives goals, he is anon.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:25 am UTC

Anonymous is a metahuman (not the DC comic variety)

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:44 pm UTC

Well, they overhyped that. Nothing particularly interesting, some mortgage fraud from one of its subsidies, mostly involving deleting documents that would send up a red flag to auditors. This Email from the leaker is really odd. Encouraging interoffice relationships? Thats bizarre among corporations. Really bizarre, so much so I don't even think I believe it.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Obby

Postby Obby » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:05 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:Encouraging interoffice relationships? Thats bizarre among corporations. Really bizarre, so much so I don't even think I believe it.

It's really not that surprising. Some smaller companies that are looking for employees tell their current ones to see if their spouses or relatives would be interested in positions, provided they meet the qualifications. At my current workplace there are three married guys with their spouses that work here with them, and it's encouraged by the owners of the company.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:11 pm UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:
juststrange wrote:That said, they'd have to do something Anon wouldn't do, and thats a very small list.

Or bringing down lolcats, seeing as the internet is more of their element.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:45 pm UTC

MisterCheif wrote:
Radical_Initiator wrote:

Or bringing down lolcats, seeing as the internet is more of their element.

This is, I believe, what Radical Initiator was referring to.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:47 pm UTC

Babam wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Which one of those is running the Twitter account and therefore this particular leak?

Anonymous is running the twitter account. If the owner of said account identifies with Anon and works towards the collectives goals, he is anon.

That makes sense, given the structure of the 4chan community.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:27 pm UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:

Are those red light things, that, trigger the cat to react without the cat's written consent, abuse?

I need to know, before, I am tempted.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:42 pm UTC

addams wrote:
Radical_Initiator wrote:

Are those red light things, that, trigger the cat to react without the cat's written consent, abuse?

I need to know, before, I am tempted.

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas.htm

Particularly number 11.

Vash

Postby Vash » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:57 pm UTC

At least they are dying out because of it.

Hooray for /b/!

The initiative people can muster for themselves outside of a traditional context can truly be remarkable.

Return to “News & Articles”