Bullied kid fights back and wins

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Obby

Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Obby » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:03 pm UTC

Video: http://deadspin.com/#!5781702/the-ultim ... -body-slam

I gotta say, after having been bullied throughout elementary and middle school, I'm glad the kid fought back and wrecked the bully's shit. Unfortunately, the school decided that the big kid was the aggressor, and suspended him. No word on what happened to the bully afterwards.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Oregonaut

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:05 pm UTC

The bully got 22 days suspension, the Casey got 4.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

olubunmi

Postby olubunmi » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:13 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:The bully got 22 days suspension, the Casey got 4.

That seems like a good solution.
I mean, you can't just do a body slam and get away with it in school. So a few days suspension seems reasonable.

The bully got what he deserved too...

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:16 pm UTC

The bully's parents are suing the school, and the Casey.

I don't know Australia's legal system well enough to guess at how that is going to end.

The EGE wrote:

Thirty-one

Postby Thirty-one » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:17 pm UTC

I wasn't bullied in school, but that's still kind of awesome.
Annoyed, getting worked up or bored by the post above? Help is here.

zmatt

Postby zmatt » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:The bully's parents are suing the school, and the Casey.

I don't know Australia's legal system well enough to guess at how that is going to end.

in the end Karma will come back to them.
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:22 pm UTC

I'm completely in favour of using violence against bullies. It works very well, and is often the only solution. This kid did excellent, very cool, very controlled. Noone will ever bully him again.

I can understand that the school responds with a suspension though. Even if they secretly agree with this, they still gotta think about their image, and about the effect it will have on other kids. I think suspending the bully for 22 days and the kid who fought back for only 4 is not a bad compromise. And trust me, things are going to look a lot better for this kid once he returns to school after 4 days. It's still a big win for him.

So I can understand it. But it's still unfair. He did absolutely nothing wrong.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:24 pm UTC

@zmatt
Actually, it turns out there isn't some mystical guiding force that gives good people good things and bad people bad things.
Shit just happens, and it may well turn out that the bully's family gets a tonne of money from Casey's family here without ever paying their dues.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:27 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:@zmatt
Actually, it turns out there isn't some mystical guiding force that gives good people good things and bad people bad things.
Shit just happens, and it may well turn out that the bully's family gets a tonne of money from Casey's family here without ever paying their dues.

Trust this man. He is bleeding from the mouth and shoulder.

The EGE wrote:

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:29 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:Shit just happens, and it may well turn out that the bully's family gets a tonne of money from Casey's family here without ever paying their dues.

Let's hope not. I don't know how bad Australia's legal system is, but this is a very clear case of self defense, and a legal system would have to be very bad indeed to not recognize that.

What kind of parents are that anyway? If that was my kid in the video he would be grounded for weeks, and he better be spending that time writing a letter of apology to Casey, if he wants to avoid further trouble. But I guess the answer to the question 'what kind of parents are that' is self evident. The kind of parents that raise bullies. I hope the judge makes them fucking pay for the damage their kid caused to the concrete. Fucking shameless bastards.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:36 pm UTC

I have heard the term "Fucking Chav" applied to Ritchard (the bully). I do not know what this means, and have not been "assed" to look it up.

The EGE wrote:

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:39 pm UTC

Oh yeah, I sincerely hope Casey's family don't have to pay anything to the bully's family, I just resent the idea that people get what they deserve.

Edit:
The stereotype of a chav is working class, poorly educated, starts fights, swears, drinks to excess and roam around in packs bothering old people with their hoodies and the bling bling. Or something. Generally associated with ASBOs and happy slapping, which gives you an idea of why the bully here might have the label applied to him.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:41 pm UTC

Ah. So kind of like a wannabe homie?

The EGE wrote:

Thirty-one

Postby Thirty-one » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:41 pm UTC

Didn't catch that at first. How do they expect to win when there's video of their tard kid hitting the bodyslam boy first?

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:41 pm UTC

IIRC, the term chav is used mostly in the UK. A somewhat equivalent term (excuse the usage ahead) would be "wigger" in the US, I believe.
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:43 pm UTC

Damage. If a man enters a home, in some states, and there is no "Castle Doctrine" (here in the US, sorry, I'm going off what I know) in place and I damage him for entering my home, I can be sued.

It is idiotic, but there it is.

The bully is now on crutches with a bum ACL/MCL combo because he hit the ground awkward.

The EGE wrote:

zmatt

Postby zmatt » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:59 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:@zmatt

lol I knew someone was gonna jump on that. Atheist here. I just like to think that assholes get whats coming to them. Maybe not karma per se, but chances are he wont learn anything if the lawsuit goes through and he will grow up to be a terrible person and down the road someone bigger/more powerful/wearing suit/wearing a badge/wearing camo will put him in his place. Assholes have a way of wiping out their own species by bringing the retribution on the world on them.

Oregonaut wrote:Damage. If a man enters a home, in some states, and there is no "Castle Doctrine" (here in the US, sorry, I'm going off what I know) in place and I damage him for entering my home, I can be sued.

It is idiotic, but there it is.

The bully is now on crutches with a bum ACL/MCL combo because he hit the ground awkward.

That's why you always shoot to kill. I'm also a Kentucky resident, and yes I wear shoes.
Last edited by zmatt on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Thirty-one

Postby Thirty-one » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:01 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:The bully is now on crutches with a bum ACL/MCL combo because he hit the ground awkward.

This is why I always wear knee pads when awkwardly hitting people twice my size for no good reason.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:06 pm UTC

Yeah. There are weight classes in most fighting competitions for a reason. The Casey is a super-heavyweight, and that "Chav" is clearly a featherweight.

The EGE wrote:

Bhelliom

Postby Bhelliom » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:30 pm UTC

Awesome. Go Casey. Hopefully the judge will see what a load of crap the lawsuit is and throw the whole family out of court on their asses.
"Eloquently Blunt"

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:39 pm UTC

Thirty-one wrote:

Didn't catch that at first. How do they expect to win when there's video of their tard kid hitting the bodyslam boy first?

I would assume that they'll be arguing that he used unreasonable force.

According to Wikipedia on self defense in common law:

Opinions differ on what constitutes a reasonable amount of force, but in all cases, the defendant does not have the right to determine what constitutes "reasonable force" because the defendant would always maintain they acted reasonably and thus would never be guilty. The jury, as ordinary members of the community, must decide the amount of force reasonable in the circumstances of each case. It is relevant that the defendant was under pressure from imminent attack and may not have had time to make entirely rational decisions, so the test must balance the objective standard of a reasonable person by attributing some of the subjective knowledge of the defendant, including what they believed about the circumstances, even if mistaken. However, even allowing for mistakes made in a crisis, the amount of force must be proportionate and reasonable given the value of the interests being protected and the harm likely to be caused by use of force. The classic test comes from the Jamaican case of Palmer v The Queen, on appeal to the Privy Council in 1971:

"The defense of self-defense is one which can be and will be readily understood by any jury. It is a straightforward conception. It involves no abstruse legal thought. ...Only common sense is needed for its understanding. It is both good law and good sense that a man who is attacked may defend himself. It is both good law and good sense that he may do, but may only do, what is reasonably necessary. But everything will depend upon the particular facts and circumstances. ...It may in some cases be only sensible and clearly possible to take some simple avoiding action. Some attacks may be serious and dangerous. Others may not be. If there is some relatively minor attack it would not be common sense to permit some action of retaliation which was wholly out of proportion to the necessities of the situation. If an attack is serious so that it puts someone in immediate peril then immediate defensive action may be necessary. If the moment is one of crisis for someone in imminent danger he may have [to] avert the danger by some instant reaction. If the attack is all over and no sort of peril remains then the employment of force may be by way of revenge or punishment or by way of paying off an old score or may be pure aggression. There may no longer be any link with a necessity of defense... If a jury thought that in a moment of unexpected anguish a person attacked had only done what he honestly and instinctively thought was necessary that would be most potent evidence that only reasonable defensive action had been taken."

[edit]fixed link
Last edited by LaserGuy on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:49 pm UTC

Psh, were I on the jury I'd say he used reasonable force. When his opponent was in a vulnerable position, he walked away.

The EGE wrote:

Thirty-one

Postby Thirty-one » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:51 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Psh, were I on the jury I'd say he used reasonable force. When his opponent was in a vulnerable position, he walked away.

Indeed, if he was inclined to, he could have probably stomped him good a few times before anyone had gotten to him.

zmatt

Postby zmatt » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:52 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Psh, were I on the jury I'd say he used reasonable force. When his opponent was in a vulnerable position, he walked away.

depend son the locale. For example I saw an article about how a bunch of Italian students broke into an English guy's house and decided to squat there. They changed the locks and wouldn't let him in. Where I am form reasonable force constitutes me getting my friends, some guns and giving them 5 minutes to get out of my house before the room clearing training kicks in. Apparently to Brits though this kind of thing is "tradition"?

Quordlepleen

Postby Quordlepleen » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:08 pm UTC

I certainly agree that the kid took appropriate action. As a non heterosexual male who had to attend a christian high school I have had my fair share of experience with bullies and sometimes fighting back is the only way to get them to back off. If this had been a first time incident of bullying, then going for a full body slam may have been a bit extreme, but as the the link suggests a long history of bullying I am definitely going side Casey.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:13 pm UTC

Wow, that kid should get into wrestling!
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Thirty-one

Postby Thirty-one » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:13 pm UTC

Quordlepleen wrote:I certainly agree that the kid took appropriate action. As a non heterosexual male who had to attend a christian high school I have had my fair share of experience with bullies and sometimes fighting back is the only way to get them to back off. If this had been a first time incident of bullying, then going for a full body slam may have been a bit extreme, but as the the link suggests a long history of bullying I am definitely going side Casey.

Not only a long history, but he let him punch him three times without any retaliation. How many times can you expect your dumb kid to get away with.. being dumb?

If anything, Casey should body slam the rest of the family too.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:15 pm UTC

zmatt wrote:depend son the locale. For example I saw an article about how a bunch of Italian students broke into an English guy's house and decided to squat there. They changed the locks and wouldn't let him in. Where I am form reasonable force constitutes me getting my friends, some guns and giving them 5 minutes to get out of my house before the room clearing training kicks in.

You realize that in order for it to be self defense, you would need to be, like...defending yourself? From something other than "continuing to be locked out of my house"? I imagine in the eyes of the law, they'd prefer that in a non-time-sensitive situation such as that one that you call someone who exists to solve such problems and is empowered to do so. Like robo-cop. But without the robo- because that's not really necessary here.

zmatt wrote:Maybe not karma per se, but chances are he wont learn anything if the lawsuit goes through and he will grow up to be a terrible person and down the road someone bigger/more powerful/wearing suit/wearing a badge/wearing camo will put him in his place. Assholes have a way of wiping out their own species by bringing the retribution on the world on them.

Would that the world worked that way. Works out great until you remember that 9 times out of 10 the person wearing the suit/badge/camo is the same breed of asshole.

Diadem wrote:I can understand that the school responds with a suspension though. Even if they secretly agree with this, they still gotta think about their image, and about the effect it will have on other kids.

If the school takes a stance that violence is never tolerated, but also allows a situation to exist wherein violence is the only solution (by allowing bullying to exist/continue and failing to act sufficiently to stop it) then the school's policy is out of joint with reality. They don't need to suspend him to maintain their policy, they need to either change their policy or change the situation.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Yeah. There are weight classes in most fighting competitions for a reason. The Casey is a super-heavyweight, and that "Chav" is clearly a featherweight.

What exactly did the bully do to the other person first (can't see the video here at work)? I mean was the bully continually physically attacking him? And was it something the big guy couldn't just walk away from? Those are usually the conditions the law applies to determine whether the force used in self-defense is appropriate. Hell if the bully wasn't actually posing any threat to the big guy self-defense may not even be allowed to be considered. Kind of shitty frankly. One can hope that if there was a past history of bullying or somesuch it could be used as mitigating circumstances.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:17 pm UTC

zmatt wrote:

depend son the locale. For example I saw an article about how a bunch of Italian students broke into an English guy's house and decided to squat there. They changed the locks and wouldn't let him in. Where I am form reasonable force constitutes me getting my friends, some guns and giving them 5 minutes to get out of my house before the room clearing training kicks in. Apparently to Brits though this kind of thing is "tradition"?

I don't think there is a court in the world that would consider your proposal reasonable force. It's not self-defense if they aren't attacking you and calling the police to forcibly evict squatters is the available and legal solution there.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:20 pm UTC

The bully cold-cocked him in the jaw, then feinted some jabs at his midsection, then punched him in the gut. All while verbalizing insults.

The bully's friends were video-taping this, and had him surrounded (assuming the tall girl was in with the bullies).

He took the punches like a boss, blocked several, then just got tired of the verbal and physical abuse and did one hell of a press slam.

The EGE wrote:

zmatt

Postby zmatt » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:21 pm UTC

It was partially in jest. However if it were to happen and I responded by breaking the door down and forcibly throwing them out of my house I don't think there would be any problem.

Bhelliom

Postby Bhelliom » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:25 pm UTC

Chen, check the video when you get home, it is worth it. Basically it is a large kid standing by a wall and the short kid comes up and starts shit. You can tell the big kid is sorta soft and slow, if you know what I mean. The small kid grabs the big kid's shirt and flat out punches big kid in the face. Big kid tries to fend off following punches, then just snaps and body slams the little shit. You can tell the little kid was looking for a fight. Well, he got himself one.
"Eloquently Blunt"

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

zmatt wrote:It was partially in jest. However if it were to happen and I responded by breaking the door down and forcibly throwing them out of my house I don't think there would be any problem.

Breaking down the door wouldn't be any problem, since it is your door. If your "forcibly" rose to the level of "physical assault", then you would be charged, or could be sued, and rightly so.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:The bully cold-cocked him in the jaw, then feinted some jabs at his midsection, then punched him in the gut. All while verbalizing insults.

The bully's friends were video-taping this, and had him surrounded (assuming the tall girl was in with the bullies).

He took the punches like a boss, blocked several, then just got tired of the verbal and physical abuse and did one hell of a press slam.

Ah well considering he was surrounded I think its reasonable to say it was self-defense. Even the level of force is probably acceptable in this case due to the uncertainty of whether or not his buddies would join the fight (which could turn the situation quite dangerous if not deadly).

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:31 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Oregonaut wrote:The bully cold-cocked him in the jaw, then feinted some jabs at his midsection, then punched him in the gut. All while verbalizing insults.

Ah well considering he was surrounded I think its reasonable to say it was self-defense. Even the level of force is probably acceptable in this case due to the uncertainty of whether or not his buddies would join the fight (which could turn the situation quite dangerous if not deadly).

If Casey (the kid being bullied) had stuck around, odds are there would have been another fight. After he body slammed the little kid bullying him, a larger kid stepped forward from out of frame also looking for a "revenge" fight, I guess. Casey walked away and some older girl stopped the previously out of frame kid from following.
The story so far:

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:37 pm UTC

I'm not sure he "slammed" the bully. It looks like he picked him up and dropped him. Casey bent forward a bit just before the drop, but I think that was just from the weight of trying to hold up the kid. On the other hand, the kid was pretty seriously injured.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

Chen wrote:What exactly did the bully do to the other person first (can't see the video here at work)? I mean was the bully continually physically attacking him? And was it something the big guy couldn't just walk away from?

They were most definitely physically attacking him. As for walking away. The problem with bullying is that you can't just walk away from it. You might be able to walk away from any particular confrontation, but they will just come back the next day. I do not know if the law recognizes this, but it definitely should.

Belial wrote:
Diadem wrote:I can understand that the school responds with a suspension though. Even if they secretly agree with this, they still gotta think about their image, and about the effect it will have on other kids.

If the school takes a stance that violence is never tolerated, but also allows a situation to exist wherein violence is the only solution (by allowing bullying to exist/continue and failing to act sufficiently to stop it) then the school's policy is out of joint with reality. They don't need to suspend him to maintain their policy, they need to either change their policy or change the situation.

Did you actually read what I wrote? Because my very next sentence I said I disagreed with the school. Understanding is not the same as agreeing.

Oregonaut wrote:(assuming the tall girl was in with the bullies).

She clearly wasn't. When she approaches the guy videotaping says something like 'who's that in the background'. Then after one of the bully's friends wants to go after Casey, she stops him in a rather authoritarian way. I'd say she was a teacher, except she's clearly too young for that. I've been wondering what she is. She doesn't initially interfere for either side. Maybe she's just an older girl sho appreciates a good body slam.

edit: I just noticed she's wearing the same colours as Casey, as well as another boy who seems to be with her. Perhaps some kind of team? Or maybe they are all Griffindor. I actually have no idea how Australian schools work :)
Last edited by Diadem on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:50 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:I'm not sure he "slammed" the bully. It looks like he picked him up and dropped him. Casey bent forward a bit just before the drop, but I think that was just from the weight of trying to hold up the kid. On the other hand, the kid was pretty seriously injured.

I dunno, that looks an awful lot like a full-on slam to me.
The story so far:

Thirty-one

Postby Thirty-one » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:53 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:I've been wondering what she is. She doesn't initially interfere for either side. Maybe she's just an older girl sho appreciates a good body slam.

Seems to me she isn't initially there, she comes walking towards the situation a few punches in.

Return to “News & Articles”