Bullied kid fights back and wins

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Dauric
Posts: 3998
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Dauric » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:17 pm UTC

zmatt wrote:I'm hoping that the lawsuit gets thrown out and the court sees this for what it is.


From all accounts it's you, me, everyone here, and 99.999% of the internet hoping for that.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Kayangelus
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:37 am UTC

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Kayangelus » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:11 pm UTC

There is something I don't understand about the school's reaction. They claim that they suspended Casey because they have a zero-thinking tolerance policy. In that case:

a) why weren't the bully's friends who were encouraging the behavior, taping the event, and then trying to revenge for him suspended? They were willing participants of this violence and helped set it up.

b) Why the hell is the bully even in school? According to the news, the kid has a history of bullying Casey. In that case, every single time he threw a punch at Casey, he should have been suspended. Which means he was either spending over half his school time at home suspended, or the school is not maintaining its zero-tolerance policy.

Honestly, why the hell are schools even allowed to make rules saying you aren't allowed to practice self defense, if they aren't able to defend you?

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:14 pm UTC

Because chucking the kid out of school entirely just kicks the problem up the ladder to the next rung. Where society now has to deal with an uneducated "Chavo" who lacks marketable skills.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
Dauric
Posts: 3998
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Dauric » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:18 pm UTC

Kayangelus wrote:There is something I don't understand about the school's reaction. They claim that they suspended Casey because they have a zero-thinking tolerance policy. In that case:

a) why weren't the bully's friends who were encouraging the behavior, taping the event, and then trying to revenge for him suspended? They were willing participants of this violence and helped set it up.

b) Why the hell is the bully even in school? According to the news, the kid has a history of bullying Casey. In that case, every single time he threw a punch at Casey, he should have been suspended. Which means he was either spending over half his school time at home suspended, or the school is not maintaining its zero-tolerance policy.

Honestly, why the hell are schools even allowed to make rules saying you aren't allowed to practice self defense, if they aren't able to defend you?


As to "B)" it's a matter of proving it. If children could get other children kicked out of school because they claimed someone else threw a punch on the accusation alone we would have empty schools. It's the existence of the video that gives some actionable evidence to the administrators.

"A)" I would chalk up to "Bureaucratic rules are inconsistent." Egging people on does not itself constitute violence, accessory to perhaps, but most ZTP are not written to deal with crowds of spectators egging on the fighters, they're targeted at those who exhibit the violence themselves. Since it's "mandated from on high" most teachers and administrators are probably loath to extend ZTP where they're not explicitly applied.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

User avatar
M.C.
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:06 pm UTC
Location: South of the equator.

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby M.C. » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

Hmm... I couldn't find anything about this in Australian media... Maybe tomorrow Fairfax will run a story on it; they like to be 'in' with the Internet crowd.

FWIW, It looked like either grade 6's (last year of primary) or year 7's (first year on secondary.) Without older kids there, and by looking at the uniforms, I'd say this is a primary school, which covers 5yo's to 11/12yo's. That might explain the schools violence policy a little better; you can't explain self defense to 5 year olds fighting.

Seriously though, kid, don't pick a fight with someone big enough to do... that to you.
Nobody likes Milhouse!

Kayangelus
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:37 am UTC

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Kayangelus » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:28 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Because chucking the kid out of school entirely just kicks the problem up the ladder to the next rung. Where society now has to deal with an uneducated "Chavo" who lacks marketable skills.


I didn't say chuck him out of school entirely.

Just chuck him out of school for a few days every time he bullies someone. If that translates to him being chucked out of school entirely, then as far as I'm concerned he deserves it, and uneducated "Chavo" can go do minimum pay jobs for the rest of his life. No need to ruin some innocent kid's school experience just so we can delude ourselves into thinking we are giving one to Chavo

Dauric wrote:
Kayangelus wrote:There is something I don't understand about the school's reaction. They claim that they suspended Casey because they have a zero-thinking tolerance policy. In that case:

a) why weren't the bully's friends who were encouraging the behavior, taping the event, and then trying to revenge for him suspended? They were willing participants of this violence and helped set it up.

b) Why the hell is the bully even in school? According to the news, the kid has a history of bullying Casey. In that case, every single time he threw a punch at Casey, he should have been suspended. Which means he was either spending over half his school time at home suspended, or the school is not maintaining its zero-tolerance policy.

Honestly, why the hell are schools even allowed to make rules saying you aren't allowed to practice self defense, if they aren't able to defend you?


As to "B)" it's a matter of proving it. If children could get other children kicked out of school because they claimed someone else threw a punch on the accusation alone we would have empty schools. It's the existence of the video that gives some actionable evidence to the administrators.

"A)" I would chalk up to "Bureaucratic rules are inconsistent." Egging people on does not itself constitute violence, accessory to perhaps, but most ZTP are not written to deal with crowds of spectators egging on the fighters, they're targeted at those who exhibit the violence themselves. Since it's "mandated from on high" most teachers and administrators are probably loath to extend ZTP where they're not explicitly applied.


Don't schools have video cameras around the school? Or security guards, or someone watching? If not, once again I have to ask who the hell had the idea that it would be good to make a rule where the only time someone is punished for bullying is if the target fights back, at which point both sides are punished. That is quite literally encouraging kids to pick on people weaker than them, because so long as they pick on someone weaker, they can get away with it.

Also, handling this kind of shit is an administrators job. "I don't want to do that" doesn't sound like a valid excuse to not resolve the situation more efficiently, as far as I'm concerned. Sounds more like a good reason to replace that administrator. In this economy, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people willing to take the jobs.

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4003
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:30 pm UTC

@M.C.
I'm pretty sure it's secondary school because the girl in what looks like a checkered sports kit looks older than primary school age.
Ⓞⓞ◯

User avatar
Dauric
Posts: 3998
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Dauric » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:43 pm UTC

Kayangelus wrote:Don't schools have video cameras around the school? Or security guards, or someone watching? If not, once again I have to ask who the hell had the idea that it would be good to make a rule where the only time someone is punished for bullying is if the target fights back, at which point both sides are punished. That is quite literally encouraging kids to pick on people weaker than them, because so long as they pick on someone weaker, they can get away with it.

Also, handling this kind of shit is an administrators job. "I don't want to do that" doesn't sound like a valid excuse to not resolve the situation more efficiently, as far as I'm concerned. Sounds more like a good reason to replace that administrator. In this economy, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people willing to take the jobs.


Note: I speak mostly about U.S. schools, I'm not 100% sure about Australian schools but from what I can gather they're not all that dissimilar.

Video Cameras: Not with any consistency. Video cameras, and more importantly monitoring/tape backups, (and frankly the expertise to properly use surveillance equipment) is expensive. ZTP comes down from the district level, and they may or may not make allowances in individual school budgets for equipment. The further problem is that such expenditures are in some cases just cosmetic, just enough to cover a few high-traffic places and run by the principal who's gotten half-an-hour's worth of training from the sales rep. Of course if the school has the budget for cameras, but their neighbor is forced to discover ways to comply on-the-cheap, the first school may decide to copy those on-the-cheap methods and refurbish the gymnasium or the football stands, High-School sports tickets bring in revenue, security systems don't.

As far as security or "someone watching" go back up the thread to my previous comment about student/teacher ratios. Sure people are watching, but outside of class you're looking at a dozen people, if you're lucky, monitoring three or four -Large- high-traffic areas and patrolling everywhere else.

Administrators, same deal as for teachers but even worse. They're handling bureaucratic paperwork on the hundreds-to-1 ratio on top of resolving bullying (which are probably hundreds or thousands of events a day in k-8 or k-12 schools which are so popular in this age of school consolidation). Firing administrators because they're up to their eyeballs in paperwork and daily crises only makes the problem worse. Even in a shitty economy people aren't lining up to be teachers or school administrators.

TaintedDeity wrote:@M.C.
I'm pretty sure it's secondary school because the girl in what looks like a checkered sports kit looks older than primary school age.


Hard to say. Casey's 16, the bully is 12. 11'th and 7'th grades respectively (if I'm doing my math right). In U.S. terms it's definitely a mixed "Junior High/ High-School" campus.

It could be a combined or "K through 12" school. They're getting popular in cash-strapped districts since you only need one principal, one set of administrators, etc. for the entire regional population. It looks good to the accountants, but it just makes the student/teacher ratios that much more horrible.

for a 7'th grader to feel comfortable picking on a Junior I'd suspect it's a K-12, otherwise that 7'th-grader would be having hazing issues of his own.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

User avatar
Gopher of Pern
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am UTC
Location: Central Coast, Australia

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:08 pm UTC

High schools here are usually grades 7-12. Though there has been an increase in schools going from K-12. So 12 and 16 yr olds in the same school is quite common.

As to security, well, its been awhile since I was in school(9 yrs), but when I was, there was no cameras at all. They have put large fencing around schools though, so they could have cameras, but I would say unlikely, as it would be expensive, and public schools just don't have the money.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Diadem » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:29 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:Hard to say. Casey's 16, the bully is 12.

Wait, what? Where did you get this?

This sounds very very strange. If they aren't even in the same class, how come the kid is bullying him in the first place? In my experience there is usually very little interaction between different years, and if there is, it's invariably the older kids bullying the younger ones. Picking on someone 4 years older? That's just unheard of.

If what you say is true, I get the horrible feeling we might have been misjudging this case completely.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

iamevn
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:59 am UTC

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby iamevn » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:04 am UTC

Diadem wrote:
Dauric wrote:Hard to say. Casey's 16, the bully is 12.

Wait, what? Where did you get this?

Lots of links in this one
http://deadspin.com/#!5782089/revenge-o ... es-an-icon

Spoiler:
Revenge Of The Bullied: Casey Becomes An Icon It's been a day since the Internet was introduced to Casey Heynes, the Australian kid who struck back against a bully. In Internet time, a day's an eternity, so let's bring you up to date.

The story is front page news in Australia, where they won't name the kids (Casey is 16, attacker Ritchard(or Richard) is 12) but do identify the school as Chifley College, in Sydney. They also confirm the fight took place Monday morning.

The news has spread from FOX News to Canadato random Oklahoma affiliates, but we're still woefully short on details since the Heynes family is reluctant to talk.

"There'll be reprisals from other kids in the school and he still has to go to school somewhere," Casey's father said. "He's not a violent kid, it's the first time he's lashed out and I don't want him to be victimised over that.

"He's always been taught never to hit. Apparently other people's parents don't teach their kids that."

Revenge Of The Bullied: Casey Becomes An IconSurprisingly, Ritchard suffered no major injuries. There are conflicting reports on the boys' punishment, though both were suspended and police were called after the school learned about the fight, and we've been informed that Ritchard's suspension is the longer one. So make up your own mind about whether to join one of the many "Free Casey" fanpages that have been popping up (and being taken down, much like all the YouTube videos of the fight).

That hasn't stopped "Casey the Punisher" or "Zangief Kid" from becoming the toast of the Internet. The meme engine has gone into overdrive.

Casey's the reluctant hero, and it's no wonder the world is obsessed. His story strikes a cord with anyone who's even been bullied or just unfairly picked on by life. We received a handful of emails from people who just wanted to share their own stories of being bullied, and fighting back. Here are two: they seemed cathartic. If you'd like to vent your own bullying tales (anonymously), don't hesitate to share with us.

User avatar
drkslvr
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby drkslvr » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:01 am UTC

If you have questions for the school about their policies, why not ask them?
http://www.dunheved-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/sws/view/contactus.node

Alternatively, if you have a comment instead of a question:
http://www.dunheved-h.schools.nsw.edu.au/sws/view/schoolfeedback.node

Spoiler:
TaintedDeity wrote:The stereotype of a chav is working class, poorly educated, starts fights, swears, drinks to excess and roam around in packs bothering old people with their hoodies and the bling bling. Or something. Generally associated with ASBOs and happy slapping, which gives you an idea of why the bully here might have the label applied to him.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I hear people talk about ASBOs. One thing I do know, though. If a US president tried to start something like that through an executive order, Americans would chase him out of office.
Help a paralyzed kitten get surgery! Fundly.com/Help-Link-Walk-Again
Image
Like Link's page for photos and updates on his status: Facebook.com/HelpLinkWalkAgain

User avatar
drkslvr
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby drkslvr » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:06 am UTC

In exploring the site a little more, I found the school's "Anti-Bullying" statement.
Chifley College Dunheved Campus wrote:We work hard to keep our school free from bullying and harassment. Our anti-bullying plan outlines strategies for parents, students and teachers to identify, report and deal with bullying behaviour. Any victim or witness of bullying behaviour should report the incident to a teacher or the principal.


They have quite a bit of paperwork to back that up. See:
https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/policies/student_serv/discipline/stu_discip_gov/implementation_3_PD20060316.shtml
https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/policies/student_serv/discipline/susp_expul/leaflet_1.pdf
https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/policies/student_serv/discipline/stu_discip_gov/PD20060316.shtml
Help a paralyzed kitten get surgery! Fundly.com/Help-Link-Walk-Again
Image
Like Link's page for photos and updates on his status: Facebook.com/HelpLinkWalkAgain

User avatar
Gopher of Pern
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am UTC
Location: Central Coast, Australia

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Gopher of Pern » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:12 am UTC

Diadem wrote:
Dauric wrote:Hard to say. Casey's 16, the bully is 12.

Wait, what? Where did you get this?

This sounds very very strange. If they aren't even in the same class, how come the kid is bullying him in the first place? In my experience there is usually very little interaction between different years, and if there is, it's invariably the older kids bullying the younger ones. Picking on someone 4 years older? That's just unheard of.

If what you say is true, I get the horrible feeling we might have been misjudging this case completely.


Anecdotal evidence FTW!

I don't know how long it's been for you, but for myself, 9 yrs out of HS, I was the victim of bullying by 7th graders when I was in grade 10 at HS, similar ages to those depicted here. It wasn't effective against myself, as I had some self-esteem (though not alot). But I'm sure others have been bullied by younger kids. Hell, I've had school kids try to bully me as an adult. And you think teachers don't get bullied? I don't know if it is a recent phenomenon, but it does feel like kids are acting more aggresive at a younger age these days. (Yes, probably cognitive bias, but my point is it does happen.)
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10335
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby addams » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:18 am UTC

Diadem wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:Shit just happens, and it may well turn out that the bully's family gets a tonne of money from Casey's family here without ever paying their dues.

Let's hope not. I don't know how bad Australia's legal system is, but this is a very clear case of self defense, and a legal system would have to be very bad indeed to not recognize that.

What kind of parents are that anyway? If that was my kid in the video he would be grounded for weeks, and he better be spending that time writing a letter of apology to Casey, if he wants to avoid further trouble. But I guess the answer to the question 'what kind of parents are that' is self evident. The kind of parents that raise bullies. I hope the judge makes them fucking pay for the damage their kid caused to the concrete. Fucking shameless bastards.


I agree with you, in general. But, not, kind of. I would like to defend the parents of crap human beings. The parents may be victims of a shit of an excuse for a human being.

Yes. Ask to speak to the parents. It may be that the little bastard learned to behave in this manner at home. And; Maybe not. I am a parent of a human being that I am not all that pleased with.

It is not a nice position. It is not the parent's fault. It is the kid's fault.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
drkslvr
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby drkslvr » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:22 am UTC

addams wrote:It may be that the little bastard learned to behave in this manner at home. And; Maybe not. I am a parent of a human being that I am not all that pleased with.

We may be coming down a little hard on the parents here, but I think people's main reason for disliking them isn't that they have a bully for a kid. Kids aren't automatically clones of their parents. And there are going to be kids for whom the world's best parenting won't stop them. We all get that. I think what people dislike about the parents is that, by filing suit against the school and the "bullyee", they come out looking like bullies themselves.
Help a paralyzed kitten get surgery! Fundly.com/Help-Link-Walk-Again
Image
Like Link's page for photos and updates on his status: Facebook.com/HelpLinkWalkAgain

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby sourmìlk » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:17 am UTC

The Department of Education and Training wrote:Any student who is physically violent, resulting in injury, or whose violent behaviour interferes with the safety and well being of others is to be suspended immediately.


Yep, zero-thinking.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

User avatar
drkslvr
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby drkslvr » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:35 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:Yep, zero-thinking.

You will also love the part that says, more or less, "We will only enforce suspensions longer than a day on the second or third offense, unless we decide to enforce them on a first offense."

Thank you for your clarity. Reminds me of this recent comic.
Help a paralyzed kitten get surgery! Fundly.com/Help-Link-Walk-Again
Image
Like Link's page for photos and updates on his status: Facebook.com/HelpLinkWalkAgain

User avatar
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:53 pm UTC
Location: permanently in the wrong
Contact:

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby sourmìlk » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:39 am UTC

drkslvr wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:Yep, zero-thinking.

You will also love the part that says, more or less, "We will only enforce suspensions longer than a day on the second or third offense, unless we decide to enforce them on a first offense."

Thank you for your clarity. Reminds me of this recent comic.


So, they just stated "A || !A = true" as though that was a useful statement? /baffle.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

User avatar
big boss
Posts: 589
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:59 am UTC

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby big boss » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:18 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
The Department of Education and Training wrote:Any student who is physically violent, resulting in injury, or whose violent behaviour interferes with the safety and well being of others is to be suspended immediately.


Yep, zero-thinking.


I'm assuming that most of us here are above the average intelligence level so we don't have trouble thinking, but for others who are less gifted thinking can be really reallllly hard.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

DrSir
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:35 am UTC

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby DrSir » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:43 am UTC

Something my district has on the ZTP is that if you ever reciprocate any violence whatsoever, even in self defense, you get the exact same consequences as the instigator. Unless they attacked you with a weapon, or you were outnumbered. Would I ever get in such a situation (and I have thought about it with the crap I've gone through before), I would try to egg a second person into the fight, then let loose with all I have. Because the policy dictates I can act in self defense if there's two or more attacking my one self. I hate bureaucracy...

User avatar
TheSkyMovesSideways
Posts: 589
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:36 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:12 am UTC

Dauric wrote:
zmatt wrote:I'm hoping that the lawsuit gets thrown out and the court sees this for what it is.


From all accounts it's you, me, everyone here, and 99.999% of the internet hoping for that.

Actually, some people, myself included, are laughing the idea of a lawsuit off as nothing more than an internet rumour.
I had all kinds of plans in case of a zombie attack.
I just figured I'd be on the other side.
~ASW

User avatar
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!
Posts: 6986
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Hawknc » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:46 am UTC

I haven't seen anything in local media about a lawsuit yet either.

Oh, and he's a bogan, not a chav. :P This is a pretty complete failure of the school's "anti-bullying" policy, definitely seems unfair that the victim gets punished.

KittenKaboodle
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:36 am UTC

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby KittenKaboodle » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:52 am UTC

TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:
Dauric wrote:
zmatt wrote:I'm hoping that the lawsuit gets thrown out and the court sees this for what it is.


From all accounts it's you, me, everyone here, and 99.999% of the internet hoping for that.

Actually, some people, myself included, are laughing the idea of a lawsuit off as nothing more than an internet rumour.


I don't know how things work in Australia, but in the US, the (threat of a) lawsuit would be no rumor, it would be all too real, and if it is a public school the school would probably settle out of court (probably for more than the kid will ever earn in a year) so no judge or jury will have a chance to laugh at it.
They probably wouldn't persue the victim's parents too much because a person using their own money is not as likely to settle as a bureauracy using other peoples money. Unless the bullys lawers could somehow have the video suppresed as evidence, the plaintif would have no chance against the victim of the bulling in a jury trial.
For the school the verdict is not so certain, the school couldn't use self defence as a defence, they would probably be accused of not preventing the bully from being a bully in the first place ("it makes sense if you don't think about it"). So the "bureauracy using other peoples money" wouldn't want to take a chance, plus it is easer to just sign a check (other peoples money remember) than to spend a day in court.

User avatar
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!
Posts: 6986
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Hawknc » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:37 am UTC

Thankfully this is Australia, and frivolous lawsuits are less common. That said, I haven't even seen confirmation of the younger kid's injuries, let alone confirmation of any lawsuit being brought against anyone.

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:19 pm UTC

What's a "bogan"?
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

zmatt
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby zmatt » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:26 pm UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:
Diadem wrote:
Dauric wrote:Hard to say. Casey's 16, the bully is 12.

Wait, what? Where did you get this?

This sounds very very strange. If they aren't even in the same class, how come the kid is bullying him in the first place? In my experience there is usually very little interaction between different years, and if there is, it's invariably the older kids bullying the younger ones. Picking on someone 4 years older? That's just unheard of.

If what you say is true, I get the horrible feeling we might have been misjudging this case completely.


Anecdotal evidence FTW!

I don't know how long it's been for you, but for myself, 9 yrs out of HS, I was the victim of bullying by 7th graders when I was in grade 10 at HS, similar ages to those depicted here. It wasn't effective against myself, as I had some self-esteem (though not alot). But I'm sure others have been bullied by younger kids. Hell, I've had school kids try to bully me as an adult. And you think teachers don't get bullied? I don't know if it is a recent phenomenon, but it does feel like kids are acting more aggresive at a younger age these days. (Yes, probably cognitive bias, but my point is it does happen.)


Visited my little brother's school (he is in middle school) and some kid tried to intimidate him. I'm not a big guy by any measure, but I am pretty broad guy. he tried to talk shit and I just laughed at him. A lot of times belittling a bully and showing them they aren't worth your time (if you are an adult at least) is a great way to shut them down. The other nice part of being big and strong is that if he tried to assault me i could easily have retrained him and walked him right up to the school security guard.
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

User avatar
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!
Posts: 6986
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Hawknc » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:37 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:What's a "bogan"?

What a bogan is, and what bogans like. It's...similar to chavs, but with slightly fewer striped tracksuits and a lot more beating up brown people on Cronulla beach while wearing the Australian flag as a cape.

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:40 pm UTC

So a bogan is a nationalist chav?
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

User avatar
TaintedDeity
Posts: 4003
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:22 pm UTC
Location: England;

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:45 pm UTC

To say that suggests that chavs generally aren't racist/nationalist, which doesn't seem right.
Ⓞⓞ◯

yawningdog
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:00 pm UTC
Location: Glen Allen, Virginia

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby yawningdog » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:48 pm UTC

Lawsuits come and go, and school suspensions are a joke. The important thing is that the bully got his ass handed to him and now has "beotch" written across his forehead for the whole world to see.
"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
- Bruce Lee

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

Oh...my bad. I thought that both "chav" and "bogan" were Australian terms. I am now informed that "chav" and "bogan" are from England and Australia respectively. I have learned something today.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

zmatt
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby zmatt » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:05 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:So a bogan is a nationalist chav?


Seems more like an Aussie redneck to me.

To try and put things in perspective for everyone what I gather is;

A chav/asbo/poser/ricer/wigger is a lower class, inner city type of trash that wears "urban" clothes, drives riced imports, and wear their hats incorrectly. In America T mobile made fun of them with the "poser mobile" commercials and the Fast and the Furious franchise made it a big fad about 10 years ago. In the UK I know Clarkson hates them, but likes their cars.

Redneck/Bogan/UK equivalent? is a more xenophobic type of white trash that doesn't necessarily live in the city and likely lives in rural areas. In America they drive Pickup trucks and in Australia they drive utes. (for non car types, its a modern el camino). The wear Flannel and jeans almost exclusively and hate people who aren't white or "from here". In American they listen exclusively to country music, not sure what they listen to in Australia.
Last edited by zmatt on Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

Chen
Posts: 5582
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Chen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:09 pm UTC

yawningdog wrote:Lawsuits come and go, and school suspensions are a joke. The important thing is that the bully got his ass handed to him and now has "beotch" written across his forehead for the whole world to see.


Thing is, after seeing their ages I'm not really sure this is going to help Casey. A 16 year old taking down a 12 year old (even if the 12 year old is a bully) is not something that would generally up your standing in school. You're going to have the bullies that are closer to his age mocking him now for being able to stand up to someone significantly younger and weaker than him but not THEM.

User avatar
Oregonaut
Posts: 6511
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 pm UTC
Location: Oregon

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:12 pm UTC

Bullies, by and large, target the weak, or the perceived weak. They're like hyenas. The Casey stood his ground, finally, and informed someone who was backed by at least four people that no, Mr. Concrete does not feel like a fluffy pillow when he hits you. Other bullies may talk shit to him, but they aren't going to risk getting their shit wrecked too.

The bullies that would take this as a challenge, are likely going to not be deterred by anything short of someone beating their ass anyway.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

zmatt
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby zmatt » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:23 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Bullies, by and large, target the weak, or the perceived weak. They're like hyenas. The Casey stood his ground, finally, and informed someone who was backed by at least four people that no, Mr. Concrete does not feel like a fluffy pillow when he hits you. Other bullies may talk shit to him, but they aren't going to risk getting their shit wrecked too.

The bullies that would take this as a challenge, are likely going to not be deterred by anything short of someone beating their ass anyway.


They probably don't rate to high on intelligence either. he crushed that kid.
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Belial » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:44 pm UTC

zmatt wrote:A chav/asbo/poser/ricer/wigger is a lower class, inner city type of trash that wears "urban" clothes, drives riced imports, and wear their hats incorrectly. In America T mobile made fun of them with the "poser mobile" commercials and the Fast and the Furious franchise made it a big fad about 10 years ago. In the UK I know Clarkson hates them, but likes their cars.

Redneck/Bogan/UK equivalent? is a more xenophobic type of white trash that doesn't necessarily live in the city and likely lives in rural areas. In America they drive Pickup trucks and in Australia they drive utes. (for non car types, its a modern el camino). The wear Flannel and jeans almost exclusively and hate people who aren't white or "from here". In American they listen exclusively to country music, not sure what they listen to in Australia.


"Blatantly Classist Terms"

"Answers must be in the form of a question, Belial"

"Right. What are 'blatantly classist terms', Alex?"
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:01 pm UTC

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:52 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:To say that suggests that chavs generally aren't racist/nationalist, which doesn't seem right.


My experience has been with neds (which i believe is the Scottish stereotype equivilent to chav/bogun) and I think labeling them as racist/nationalist is a bit odd. When they're behind you on the bus playing bad r&b music on their phones and shouting at the other passengers, they can seem irritating and unpleasent. But I've never seen much of a racist side to them. Maybe chavs are a different breed.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche


~ ahammel

zmatt
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby zmatt » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:14 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
zmatt wrote:A chav/asbo/poser/ricer/wigger is a lower class, inner city type of trash that wears "urban" clothes, drives riced imports, and wear their hats incorrectly. In America T mobile made fun of them with the "poser mobile" commercials and the Fast and the Furious franchise made it a big fad about 10 years ago. In the UK I know Clarkson hates them, but likes their cars.

Redneck/Bogan/UK equivalent? is a more xenophobic type of white trash that doesn't necessarily live in the city and likely lives in rural areas. In America they drive Pickup trucks and in Australia they drive utes. (for non car types, its a modern el camino). The wear Flannel and jeans almost exclusively and hate people who aren't white or "from here". In American they listen exclusively to country music, not sure what they listen to in Australia.


"Blatantly Classist Terms"

"Answers must be in the form of a question, Belial"

"Right. What are 'blatantly classist terms', Alex?"


^Implying I'm some stuckup hipster

Hey man ,I'm from Kentucky, I grew up with a pickup truck. I'm allowed to talk about my people in a frank way. I calls em as I sees em. Also there isn't anything classist about calling someone white trash, Brittney Spears is by most definitions white trash. It isn't a paycheck, (or welfare) it's a way of life. We have a saying here, you can take the trash out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of the trash. it always reverts to it's natural form.
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Bullied kid fights back and wins

Postby Belial » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:17 pm UTC

They used to say that about commoners.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests