The universe's dimensions may change with age, energy, scale

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Quantum Potatoid
Location: May only be known if velocity isn't. Same rules apply with taste and texture.

The universe's dimensions may change with age, energy, scale

Postby Quantum Potatoid » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:45 pm UTC

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 152059.htm
That's the mind-boggling concept at the heart of a theory that University at Buffalo physicist Dejan Stojkovic and colleagues proposed in 2010.
They suggested that the early universe -- which exploded from a single point and was very, very small at first -- was one-dimensional (like a straight line) before expanding to include two dimensions (like a plane) and then three (like the world in which we live today).
The theory, if valid, would address important problems in particle physics.
Now, in a new paper in Physical Review Letters, Stojkovic and Loyola Marymount University physicist Jonas Mureika describe a test that could prove or disprove the "vanishing dimensions" hypothesis.
Because it takes time for light and other waves to travel to Earth, telescopes peering out into space can, essentially, look back into time as they probe the universe's outer reaches.
Gravitational waves can't exist in one- or two-dimensional space. So Stojkovic and Mureika have reasoned that the Laser Interferometer Space Antenna (LISA), a planned international gravitational observatory, should not detect any gravitational waves emanating from the lower-dimensional epochs of the early universe.
Stojkovic, an assistant professor of physics, says the theory of evolving dimensions represents a radical shift from the way we think about the cosmos -- about how our universe came to be.
The core idea is that the dimensionality of space depends on the size of the space we're observing, with smaller spaces associated with fewer dimensions. That means that a fourth dimension will open up -- if it hasn't already -- as the universe continues to expand.
The theory also suggests that space has fewer dimensions at very high energies of the kind associated with the early, post-big bang universe.
If Stojkovic and his colleagues are right, they will be helping to address fundamental problems with the standard model of particle physics, including the following:
The incompatibility between quantum mechanics and general relativity. Quantum mechanics and general relativity are mathematical frameworks that describe the physics of the universe. Quantum mechanics is good at describing the universe at very small scales, while relativity is good at describing the universe at large scales. Currently, the two theories are considered incompatible; but if the universe, at its smallest levels, had fewer dimensions, mathematical discrepancies between the two frameworks would disappear.
The mystery of the universe's accelerating expansion. Physicists have observed that the expansion of the universe is speeding up, and they don't know why. The addition of new dimensions as the universe grows would explain this acceleration. (Stojkovic says a fourth dimension may have already opened at large, cosmological scales.)
The need to alter the mass of the Higgs boson. The standard model of particle physics predicts the existence of an as yet undiscovered elementary particle called the Higgs boson. For equations in the standard model to accurately describe the observed physics of the real world, however, researchers must artificially adjust the mass of the Higgs boson for interactions between particles that take place at high energies. If space has fewer dimensions at high energies, the need for this kind of "tuning" disappears.
"What we're proposing here is a shift in paradigm," Stojkovic said. "Physicists have struggled with the same problems for 10, 20, 30 years, and straight-forward extensions of extensions of the existing ideas are unlikely to solve them."
"We have to take into account the possibility that something is systematically wrong with our ideas," he continued. "We need something radical and new, and this is something radical and new."
Because the planned deployment of LISA is still years away, it may be a long time before Stojkovic and his colleagues are able to test their ideas this way.
However, some experimental evidence already points to the possible existence of lower-dimensional space.
Specifically, scientists have observed that the main energy flux of cosmic ray particles with energies exceeding 1 teraelectron volt -- the kind of high energy associated with the very early universe -- are aligned along a two-dimensional plane.
If high energies do correspond with lower-dimensional space, as the "vanishing dimensions" theory proposes, researchers working with the Large Hadron Collider particle accelerator in Europe should see planar scattering at such energies.
Stojkovic says the observation of such events would be "a very exciting, independent test of our proposed ideas."

I found this to be very interesting, as I love this type of stuff. How about you, xkcd fora?
"There's nothing wrong with having voices in your head, it's when they leave you out of the conversation you have to worry"
Spoiler:
iThis Cheese is Burning Me!

The Reaper

Re: The universe's dimensions may change with age, energy, s

Postby The Reaper » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:50 pm UTC

I've already convinced myself the universe is actually inside out and has a size of 1. o_O

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:06 pm UTC

I think it sounds pretty incredible really. By multiple definitions of the word.

But at least from the look of it, it seems to make a lot more sense than many other theories I've seen people go off about.
Bdthemag: "I don't always GM, but when I do I prefer to put my player's in situations that include pain and torture. Stay creative my friends."

Bayobeasts - the Pokemon: Orthoclase project.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:57 am UTC

Oh God...

If a forth dimension opens up anytime soon, I'm gonna be tripping out all the time...
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

badmartialarts

Postby badmartialarts » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:07 am UTC

The universe is a spheroid region, 705 meters in diameter.

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:22 am UTC

That's a pretty cool concept. Sounds kinda similar to CDT. I really like the fact that they've got some ideas for testable hypothesis; let's see how it goes.
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:25 am UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:Oh God...

If a forth dimension opens up anytime soon, I'm gonna be tripping up all the time...

Fixed that for you. It'll take a while to get used to spotting those extra-dimensional objects before you run into them.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Inny Binny

Postby Inny Binny » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:35 am UTC

If Stojkovic and his colleagues are right, they will be helping to address fundamental problems with the standard model of particle physics, including the following:

The incompatibility between quantum mechanics and general relativity. Quantum mechanics and general relativity are mathematical frameworks that describe the physics of the universe. Quantum mechanics is good at describing the universe at very small scales, while relativity is good at describing the universe at large scales. Currently, the two theories are considered incompatible; but if the universe, at its smallest levels, had fewer dimensions, mathematical discrepancies between the two frameworks would disappear.

The mystery of the universe's accelerating expansion. Physicists have observed that the expansion of the universe is speeding up, and they don't know why. The addition of new dimensions as the universe grows would explain this acceleration. (Stojkovic says a fourth dimension may have already opened at large, cosmological scales.)

The need to alter the mass of the Higgs boson. The standard model of particle physics predicts the existence of an as yet undiscovered elementary particle called the Higgs boson. For equations in the standard model to accurately describe the observed physics of the real world, however, researchers must artificially adjust the mass of the Higgs boson for interactions between particles that take place at high energies. If space has fewer dimensions at high energies, the need for this kind of "tuning" disappears.

Um, this sounds pretty profound.

New User

Postby New User » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:33 am UTC

badmartialarts wrote:The universe is a spheroid region, 705 meters in diameter.

Awesome Star Trek reference.

Link

Postby Link » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:49 am UTC

It sounded outlandish to me at first, but then again, relativity essentially says the perceived "size" of the known dimensions varies according to the observer's speed, and relativity is generally regarded as true and is backed by loads of experimental evidence. I guess the number of dimensions varying with energy is just one cuil weirder.

What I'm wondering, though, is (1) what would a human actually* perceive in a large fourth spatial dimension and (2) are there any significant practical implications for future technology if a large fourth spatial dimension already exists?

*We have, at best, 3-dimensional projections of what primitive 4-shapes might look like - or, even worse, 3D renderings of 4D primitives, displayed on 2D screens.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:32 pm UTC

Link wrote:What I'm wondering, though, is (1) what would a human actually* perceive in a large fourth spatial dimension and (2) are there any significant practical implications for future technology if a large fourth spatial dimension already exists?

*We have, at best, 3-dimensional projections of what primitive 4-shapes might look like - or, even worse, 3D renderings of 4D primitives, displayed on 2D screens.

You live in a (current minimum)4D universe and make 4D assumptions based on the 3D points you consciously recognize. We don't need to see something to understand it. We can just pretend its there and send robots to do our dirty work anyway. :3 Recognizing movements through time is a good thing for robots to know how to do, so they can accurately predict stuff like we constantly ask them to do. Predict where I'm going to throw the ball, predict where the enemy runs, predict what the stock market looks like 500000 years from now, etc.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:05 am UTC

I laughed.

I'll believe this hypothesis when they have loads of evidence to support it. Just being able to explain some peculiarities really isn't enough to take it seriously. Look at the bloated, nonsensical mess string theory has become.

KrO2

Postby KrO2 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:16 am UTC

I hope this theory's true, because that would be awesome. I want another dimension. Too bad "awesome" doesn't count as valid science, though.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:18 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:

I laughed.

I'll believe this hypothesis when they have loads of evidence to support it. Just being able to explain some peculiarities really isn't enough to take it seriously. Look at the bloated, nonsensical mess string theory has become.

At this level, nothing makes much sense. Loads of evidence in either direction cannot be taken as proof of anything, merely things that eliminate competing ideas.

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

At first, there was time!
Then, after a very short time, there was a line! Because there just wasn't enough energy to keep time all straight and proper with nothing propping it up, and as soon as you had time the Universe went and realized it!
Of course,even with just a line, you eventually get the energy sort of clumping together and it gets to a point where parts of it are having trouble even holding that together, because the line if infinite. So reality collapses again in the empty spots. and now you've got a plane.

But woah, that was in the low energy density regions, so now you've got SPACE, and space that isn't full of energy! Crazyness! So you've got 3d empty space, and 2d "galaxies".

Eventually, it happens again!

Gravity, it turns out, is just energies natural resistance to expanding dimensions. O_O

And black holes don't just suck stuff in, they actually shed dimensions.

All sorts of interesting places this could go...
Bdthemag: "I don't always GM, but when I do I prefer to put my player's in situations that include pain and torture. Stay creative my friends."

Bayobeasts - the Pokemon: Orthoclase project.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

I shall fight your changing dimension theory with non-time theory!
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-04-sci ... nsion.html

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:39 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:I shall fight your changing dimension theory with non-time theory!
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-04-sci ... nsion.html

Cosmological theory: Pokemon for physicists.
I looked out across the river today …

addams

Postby addams » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:42 pm UTC

Quantum Potatoid wrote:http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110420152059.htm
That's the mind-boggling concept at the heart of a theory that University at Buffalo physicist Dejan Stojkovic and colleagues proposed in 2010.
They suggested that the early universe -- which exploded from a single point and was very, very small at first -- was one-dimensional (like a straight line) before expanding to include two dimensions (like a plane) and then three (like the world in which we live today). Yep. Then, eleven then 22 then what? It is a wonderful idea!
The theory, if valid, would address important problems in particle physics.
Now, in a new paper in Physical Review Letters, Stojkovic and Loyola Marymount University physicist Jonas Mureika describe a test that could prove or disprove the "vanishing dimensions" hypothesis.
Because it takes time for light and other waves to travel to Earth, telescopes peering out into space can, essentially, look back into time as they probe the universe's outer reaches.
Gravitational waves can't exist in one- or two-dimensional space. So Stojkovic and Mureika have reasoned that the Laser Interferometer Space Antenna (LISA), a planned international gravitational observatory, should not detect any gravitational waves emanating from the lower-dimensional epochs of the early universe.
Stojkovic, an assistant professor of physics, says the theory of evolving dimensions represents a radical shift from the way we think about the cosmos -- about how our universe came to be.
The core idea is that the dimensionality of space depends on the size of the space we're observing, with smaller spaces associated with fewer dimensions. That means that a fourth dimension will open up -- if it hasn't already -- as the universe continues to expand. So, exciting!
The theory also suggests that space has fewer dimensions at very high energies of the kind associated with the early, post-big bang universe.

This is so exciting!

What? Higgs-Boson? Oh. Disappointed.
The idea of, even, more new dimensions popping up was exciting to me.

"What we're proposing here is a shift in paradigm," Stojkovic said. "Physicists have struggled with the same problems for 10, 20, 30 years, and straight-forward extensions of extensions of the existing ideas are unlikely to solve them."
"We have to take into account the possibility that something is systematically wrong with our ideas," he continued. "We need something radical and new, and this is something radical and new."
Because the planned deployment of LISA is still years away, it may be a long time before Stojkovic and his colleagues are able to test their ideas this way.
However, some experimental evidence already points to the possible existence of lower-dimensional space.
Specifically, scientists have observed that the main energy flux of cosmic ray particles with energies exceeding 1 teraelectron volt -- the kind of high energy associated with the very early universe -- are aligned along a two-dimensional plane.
If high energies do correspond with lower-dimensional space, as the "vanishing dimensions" theory proposes, researchers working with the Large Hadron Collider particle accelerator in Europe should see planar scattering at such energies.
Stojkovic says the observation of such events would be "a very exciting, independent test of our proposed ideas."

I found this to be very interesting, as I love this type of stuff. How about you, xkcd fora?

I Love this kind of stuff, too. Why? I have no idea, why. I always have.

Do you look at the stars? Do you look at water?

There is an old proverb from the middle east. It is as follows:
"Be humble for you are made of dirt."
"Be noble for you are made of star."

I am a little bit afraid of other dimensions.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:05 am UTC

Stojkovic and Mureika have reasoned that the Laser Interferometer Space Antenna (LISA), a planned international gravitational observatory, should not detect any gravitational waves emanating from the lower-dimensional epochs of the early universe.

The only problem that I know of with this test is that I don't think any gravitational waves have been detected with the current detectors. So not detecting gravity waves from the early universe would not be surprising.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:40 am UTC

Griffin wrote:At first, there was time!
Then, after a very short time, there was a line! Because there just wasn't enough energy to keep time all straight and proper with nothing propping it up, and as soon as you had time the Universe went and realized it!
Of course,even with just a line, you eventually get the energy sort of clumping together and it gets to a point where parts of it are having trouble even holding that together, because the line if infinite. So reality collapses again in the empty spots. and now you've got a plane.

But woah, that was in the low energy density regions, so now you've got SPACE, and space that isn't full of energy! Crazyness! So you've got 3d empty space, and 2d "galaxies".

Eventually, it happens again!

Gravity, it turns out, is just energies natural resistance to expanding dimensions. O_O

And black holes don't just suck stuff in, they actually shed dimensions.

All sorts of interesting places this could go...

Nice. That was good.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:31 am UTC

so...might the cold spots still be two-dimensional?

addams

Postby addams » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:53 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:so...might the cold spots still be two-dimensional?

Maybe. Science. We may be using this stuff, before, we can describe it.
That is what happened with Plasma. We were using it. Then we got a name for it.
Then, long long afterward we were able to describe it and prove it.

It is a sure thing that there is more going on than most people care to know.

There is a fine line there. It cuts between genius and madness.

When, I look at the Universe it is nice to have a friend.

When, we look into deep space and consider the possibilities, then;
It becomes simple again.

There is nothing wrong with a grown man wanting his Mom.
I don't do that. But; There is nothing wrong with it.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:12 am UTC

addams wrote:

It becomes simple again.

what is this i don't even

addams

Postby addams » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:30 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:
addams wrote:

It becomes simple again.

Oh Dear; Were you offended? I am sorry. The subject is so comic.

I was not expecting that you want your mommy.
Others that look out at the Universe are sometimes shaken by the experience.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:22 am UTC

addams wrote:
Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:
addams wrote:

It becomes simple again.

Oh Dear; Were you offended? I am sorry. The subject is so comic.

I was not expecting that you want your mommy.
Others that look out at the Universe are sometimes shaken by the experience.

English, do you speak it?

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:26 am UTC

His grammar is cromulent.

KrO2

Postby KrO2 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:35 am UTC

Perfectly so, one might say.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:26 pm UTC

He hasn't quite figured out when not to use a comma, though.
I looked out across the river today …

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:27 pm UTC

It certainly appears to be English, but I'm not sure what this as to do with the current article.

I'm looking forward to 7 dimensions. Then we can actually look at different exotic spheres.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:41 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:It certainly appears to be English, but I'm not sure what this as to do with the current article.

I'm looking forward to 7 dimensions. Then we can actually look at different exotic spheres.

But how do I apply it? I'm barely up to quaternions :(

Return to “News & Articles”