Everything Must GO? Several months until the Rapture?

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Everything Must GO? Several months until the Rapture?

Postby Radical_Initiator » Sat May 14, 2011 4:45 pm UTC

Spoilered because it might be a bit long.

Spoiler:
Brian Haubert grabs some pamphlets and marches toward the flea market in Palmyra, N.J. Armed with a poster that trumpets Judgment Day on May 21, 2011, he braces for rejection. Announcing God's wrath is not always a popular message.

"I've been called a heretic," says Haubert, a 33-year-old actuary. "I've been told I read the wrong Bible. And then there's the occasional person who seems to be genuinely interested," he says.

His friend and fellow believer, Kevin Brown, uses a gentler approach, not confronting people or engaging in conversation, just politely handing out Judgment Day pamphlets.

Brown, who owns his own nutrition and wellness business, is soft-spoken and polished, not someone you'd imagine giving away doomsday tracts. But he says the clock is ticking.

"People need to know," Brown says, "and God commands us to share the Gospel about the end of the world. He says if we do not share the Gospel then their blood will be on our hands, whether they believe or not. God's been moving me to do this."

Spreading The Word

Haubert and Brown are two of a small — or not so small, who knows? — army of Christians sounding the alarm. They drive caravans and put up billboards, hand out tracts and try to convince friends and family that Judgment Day is upon us. Brown says this message is laced throughout the Bible, but only some can decode it. It will happen this way:

On May 21, "starting in the Pacific Rim at around the 6 p.m. local time hour, in each time zone, there will be a great earthquake, such as has never been in the history of the Earth," he says. The true Christian believers — he hopes he's one of them — will be "raptured": They'll fly upward to heaven. And for the rest?

"It's just the horror of horror stories," he says, "and on top of all that, there's no more salvation at that point. And then the Bible says it will be 153 days later that the entire universe and planet Earth will be destroyed forever."

Most Bible scholars note that even Jesus said he had no idea when Judgment Day would come. But May 21 believers like Haubert are unfazed.

"I've crunched the numbers, and it's going to happen," he says.

Haubert says the Bible contains coded "proofs" that reveal the timing. For example, he says, from the time of Noah's flood to May 21, 2011, is exactly 7,000 years. Revelations like this have changed his life.

"I no longer think about 401(k)s and retirement," he says. "I'm not stressed about losing my job, which a lot of other people are in this economy. I'm just a lot less stressed, and in a way I'm more carefree."

He's tried to warn his friends and family — they think he's crazy. And that saddens him.

"Oh, it's very hard," he says. "I worry about friends and family and loved ones. But I guess more recently, I'm just really looking forward to it."

Haubert is 33 and single. Brown is married with several young children, and none of them shares his beliefs. It's caused a rift with his wife — but he says that, too, was predicted in the Bible.

"God says, 'Do you love husband or wife over me? Do you love son or daughter over me?' There is a test. There is a trial here that the believers are going through. It's a fiery trial."

As May 21 nears, Brown says he feels as if he's on a "roller coaster." What if he is raptured but his family is left behind?

"I'm crying over my loved ones one minute; I'm elated the next minute," he says. "It's all over the place."

Family Radio

No one knows how many people believe Judgment Day is right around the corner. But it appears that many became believers in 2009 after turning on Family Radio, a Christian network worth more than $100 million.

Harold Camping, the network's 89-year-old founder, has been interpreting the Bible on the air for years. He says that everyone knows there would be a judgment day at some point.

"We just happen to be in that time in history," he said in an interview. "And whether we like it or not, we're here."

Camping's predictions have inspired other groups to rally behind the May 21 date. People have quit their jobs and left their families to get the message out.

"Knowing the date of the end of the world changes all your future plans," says 27-year-old Adrienne Martinez.

She thought she'd go to medical school, until she began tuning in to Family Radio. She and her husband, Joel, lived and worked in New York City. But a year ago, they decided they wanted to spend their remaining time on Earth with their infant daughter.

"My mentality was, why are we going to work for more money? It just seemed kind of greedy to me. And unnecessary," she says.

And so, her husband adds, "God just made it possible — he opened doors. He allowed us to quit our jobs, and we just moved, and here we are."

Now they are in Orlando, in a rented house, passing out tracts and reading the Bible. Their daughter is 2 years old, and their second child is due in June. Joel says they're spending the last of their savings. They don't see a need for one more dollar.

"You know, you think about retirement and stuff like that," he says. "What's the point of having some money just sitting there?"

"We budgeted everything so that, on May 21, we won't have anything left," Adrienne adds.

Nothing, except for the fervent hope that all of them will be raptured.

'There Is No Plan B'

Camping is not the first person to fix a date for the end of the world. There have been dozens of such prophets, and so far, they've all been wrong.

Camping himself has had to do some recalculation. He first predicted the end would come Sept. 6, 1994. He now explains that he had not completed his biblical research.

"For example, I at that time had not gone through the Book of Jeremiah," he explains, "which is a big book in the Bible that has a whole lot to say about the end of the world."

So he's not planning for May 22?

"Absolutely not," Camping says. "It is going to happen. There is no Plan B."

I've asked a dozen of Camping's followers the same question. Everyone said even entertaining the possibility that May 21 would come and go without event is an offense to God. They all hope they'll be raptured. Some worry about being left behind.

"If I'm here on May 22, and I wake up, I'm going to be in hell," says Brown. "And that's where I don't want to be. So there is going to be a May 22, and we don't want to be here."

On the other hand, he will presumably have lots of company.

Sorry about devoting a new thread to this; I would have necro'd the last one, but it got locked after several pages of discussion on podbaynaut's avatars. Suffice it to say, with a week to go, I'm wondering what everyone plans to do with a week left until Judgment. I'd probably look into some short-term earthquake insurance, as Camping's prophecy says God will be walking a major earthquake around the globe, time zone by time zone, at 6 p.m. next Saturday.
Last edited by Radical_Initiator on Thu May 26, 2011 5:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I looked out across the river today …

dontthrowpooh

Re: Everything Must GO! One Week until the Rapture!

Postby dontthrowpooh » Sat May 14, 2011 4:55 pm UTC

I'll be sitting at home watching Dr. Who and programing like I planned to do all week. If it truly is judgement day then I already can figure how I'm judged and don't need to plan for anything else, but on the off chance that God doesn't come down next week I'd like to finish programing my Droid app.
Stop putting the Grammar Jews in ovens Grammer NAzis

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Sat May 14, 2011 5:26 pm UTC

If they charged per confession and I went every time armageddon was coming, their wouldnt be any church districts going bankrupt, ever.

Also I'd have a lot of loans taken out.
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

dontthrowpooh

Postby dontthrowpooh » Sat May 14, 2011 5:32 pm UTC

Gellert1984 wrote:If they charged per confession and I went every time armageddon was coming, their wouldnt be any church districts going bankrupt, ever.

Also I'd have a lot of loans taken out.

Hey the Economy would be doing great because no one would be able to quit their jobs.

Wodashin

Postby Wodashin » Sat May 14, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

Isn't this, like, the 100th time the Rapture was supposed to happen? Idiots will be idiots.

dontthrowpooh

Postby dontthrowpooh » Sat May 14, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

Yes they will but then again smart asses will be smart asses.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Sat May 14, 2011 6:07 pm UTC

I always enjoy it when they put a date or a specific timeframe on these predictions, especially if it's within my lifetime. For instance, I lived in Southern Illinois during the early 90's, when Iben Browning (a climatologist, so you know he's commenting from real expertise) claimed a 50/50 chance of a major earthquake (~7 in magnitude, if I recall) in the New Madrid fault zone (for anyone not familiar, the 1811-1812 series of earthquakes in the New Madrid fault zone are among the strongest in US history, though well behind the 1964 Alaska quake), and several media outlets in the area (and nationally, if I remember - I was a young kid at the time) covered it like this guy honestly knew what the fuck he was talking about. And he was actually trying to base his predictions on something almost scientific. And when nothing happened, we all laughed our asses off and went back to work (or school). When I hear people like Camping say "There is no Plan B," I want to laugh my ass off. But I'll save that for later this year, when both Judgment Day and his prediction for the utter destruction of the earth in October.
I looked out across the river today …

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sat May 14, 2011 7:05 pm UTC

I feel sorry for that 2 year old living in a family who in a few weeks will have no savings or plans for that poor child's future. Does that warrant action on behalf of social services?

Anyway, I'm mounting the offence against the four horsemen. If they're bringing me to hell, I'm going to bring hell to them first...
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

Viae

Postby Viae » Sat May 14, 2011 7:06 pm UTC

This sort of dating of far off catastrophe is what ruined the first red scare. I would just like to be left living in vague, comfortably fuzzy fear thank you.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Also, I think your title should be "colossus", and I don't care if nobody agrees.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sat May 14, 2011 7:36 pm UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:I feel sorry for that 2 year old living in a family who in a few weeks will have no savings or plans for that poor child's future. Does that warrant action on behalf of social services?
Parental stupidity isn't a crime, but if they honestly can't provide for them because of this, then yes, I'd say so.
Signatures are for chumps.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Sat May 14, 2011 8:02 pm UTC

On the 21st, I'll be throwing a "HAH! It was SO not the Rapture today!" Party

dontthrowpooh

Postby dontthrowpooh » Sat May 14, 2011 8:09 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:
thicknavyrain wrote:I feel sorry for that 2 year old living in a family who in a few weeks will have no savings or plans for that poor child's future. Does that warrant action on behalf of social services?
Parental stupidity isn't a crime, but if they honestly can't provide for them because of this, then yes, I'd say so.

It should be a crime, but again the kid will grow up believing the END is coming. So there is no saving them.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Sat May 14, 2011 8:39 pm UTC

IcedT wrote:On the 21st, I'll be throwing a "HAH! It was SO not the Rapture today!" Party

On the plus side, there is one in Houston. Saw this billboard along I45 the other day.

But I have no plans yet. Probably treat it just like any other weekend, because, well... it will be.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Sat May 14, 2011 8:50 pm UTC

I need to find one of those people and ask for their stuff. After all, did Jesus not say that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven? Surely they should give me all their things so that they can enter heaven. And it's not like it will affect my chances: I'm already a Jewish Atheist heathen who is going to be sent to hell for my sins anyways,
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sat May 14, 2011 10:28 pm UTC

dontthrowpooh wrote:It should be a crime,
Eh, no?
I mean, once you say that parents teaching their kids stupid things is wrong, you're effectively giving the government the right to not only say you don't deserve your kid, but to actively decide and enforce what the next generation will grow up to be like.
And, really, who wants to give that kind of power to anyone?
EDIT: and, yeah, I know you probably don't mean that literally, but still.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sat May 14, 2011 11:14 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:
dontthrowpooh wrote:It should be a crime,
Eh, no?
I mean, once you say that parents teaching their kids stupid things is wrong, you're effectively giving the government the right to not only say you don't deserve your kid, but to actively decide and enforce what the next generation will grow up to be like.
And, really, who wants to give that kind of power to anyone?
EDIT: and, yeah, I know you probably don't mean that literally, but still.

Being stupid around your kids should be legal unless if actively harms them. Giving away all your stuff and living in poverty so that Jesus will accept you is actively harming them.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

dumbzebra

Postby dumbzebra » Sat May 14, 2011 11:27 pm UTC

How nice of God to plan it on a Saturday when everyone has time.
As the great philosopher Socrates once said: "No."

M1k3_Nix

Postby M1k3_Nix » Sat May 14, 2011 11:31 pm UTC

Pulled from a bible......i lied. it come from wikipedia, so its more truth then gospel

Jesus allegedly said in Matthews with regard to the date of the rapture; "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only"

So all these religious people coming up with dates, apparently haven't read the bible....

-Mike
SlyReaper wrote:You shouldn't poke fun at a German's sense of humour like that. A German joke is no laughing matter.

"Simply because you can breathe, doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live"

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sat May 14, 2011 11:54 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:Being stupid around your kids should be legal unless if actively harms them. Giving away all your stuff and living in poverty so that Jesus will accept you is actively harming them.
And as I said above, if they are no longer able to support them, social services should be called.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Sun May 15, 2011 12:25 am UTC

M1k3_Nix wrote:Pulled from a bible......i lied. it come from wikipedia, so its more truth then gospel

Jesus allegedly said in Matthews with regard to the date of the rapture; "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only"

So all these religious people coming up with dates, apparently haven't read the bible....

It's the truth. At the same time, Revelations 3:17-18 actively challenges people "that hath understanding" to deduce the identity of the Antichrist and laid out a sufficiently generic set of harbingers that anyone could tell that the time was nigh.

The convenient thing about it is that sorts of people who think that the dream of John of Patmos is much more important than the teachings of Jesus are usually the sorts of people who are thoughtful enough to carry around large signs announcing it. Makes them easy to spot and avoid.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Sun May 15, 2011 12:32 am UTC

The idea I've heard by believers is that the people who don't get Raptured stay behind in Hell therefore, if (when) the day comes and passes they will actually believe they are now in Hell. Hilarity ensues.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Sun May 15, 2011 4:05 am UTC

Actually, from the (limited) understanding I have on the subject of the Rapture, it's just that when it happens, everyone CURRENTLY on the path to being saved will be yoinked to Heaven immediately. It doesn't necessarily mean that others can't GET on that path after it happens. That said, since the Antichrist will presumably be around, it's gonna be a sucky time to be alive, most likely.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

addams

Postby addams » Sun May 15, 2011 6:54 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:I need to find one of those people and ask for their stuff. After all, did Jesus not say that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven? Surely they should give me all their things so that they can enter heaven. And it's not like it will affect my chances: I'm already a Jewish Atheist heathen who is going to be sent to hell for my sins anyways,

Man. You do not want their stuff.
Do you know what kind of stuff those people have?
They do not have cool stuff.
I have cool stuff. They have crap.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Sun May 15, 2011 1:52 pm UTC

addams wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:I need to find one of those people and ask for their stuff. After all, did Jesus not say that it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven? Surely they should give me all their things so that they can enter heaven. And it's not like it will affect my chances: I'm already a Jewish Atheist heathen who is going to be sent to hell for my sins anyways,

Man. You do not want their stuff.
Do you know what kind of stuff those people have?
They do not have cool stuff.
I have cool stuff. They have crap.

Stuff that's not cool can be sold or pawned. That's my plan. Sadly there's not that many of these nutters about here...
wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

johnny_7713

Postby johnny_7713 » Sun May 15, 2011 2:37 pm UTC

Family radio even bought advertising space at the train stations here in The Netherlands to warn us Dutchies about the rapture, which I suppose was nice of them. Apparently the guy behind the prediction first predicted that the rapture would occur in 1994, but he has since found the error in his interpretation which led him to that belief.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Sun May 15, 2011 2:49 pm UTC

Hmm.....I should probably start a movement that states the Rapture already HAPPENED, but so few were saved, nobody noticed, and we just assumed they were kidnappings.....
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

M1k3_Nix

Postby M1k3_Nix » Sun May 15, 2011 2:51 pm UTC

Aikanaro wrote:Hmm.....I should probably start a movement that states the Rapture already HAPPENED, but so few were saved, nobody noticed, and we just assumed they were kidnappings.....

actually sounds like a good idea. imagine the chaos in the churches (:
SlyReaper wrote:You shouldn't poke fun at a German's sense of humour like that. A German joke is no laughing matter.

"Simply because you can breathe, doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live"

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Sun May 15, 2011 4:17 pm UTC

Aikanaro wrote:Hmm.....I should probably start a movement that states the Rapture already HAPPENED, but so few were saved, nobody noticed, and we just assumed they were kidnappings.....

... and basically, we're already all in hell?

Wait, that'd explain quite a bit.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

userxp

Postby userxp » Sun May 15, 2011 6:46 pm UTC

Well, you'd have quite a few supporters, since apparently it happened in 1884, 1914, 1918, 1925, 1942, 1975, 1981, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, and will happen again this 2011 and in 2060.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Mon May 16, 2011 3:54 am UTC

This is what, the 50th or so prediction that the world will end since 2000? There was a site that I can't find that kept up with this stuff.

If this man actually had read his Bible, he'd know that Jesus taught that no man, not even the angels in heaven, knows when the rapture will take place. He also said that it would come "like a thief in the night." It is a very poor thief that lets simple "math" predict when he'll come. If anything, giving a specific date makes that day even less likely.

It's kinda like the old phrase: A watched pot never boils.
Spoiler:

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Mon May 16, 2011 5:15 am UTC

I don't really see why people worry about the end of the world.

I mean, death and apocalypses are scary things, but if you don't know when either will happen, why freak out about it all the time.

(Okay, so I find death terrifying beyond all reason. It's still a good reason to avoid thinking about it too much...)
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Mon May 16, 2011 5:36 am UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:I don't really see why people worry about the end of the world.

I mean, death and apocalypses are scary things, but if you don't know when either will happen, why freak out about it all the time.

(Okay, so I find death terrifying beyond all reason. It's still a good reason to avoid thinking about it too much...)

The difference is, you don't want to die. These people actively anticipate it.

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Postby H2SO4 » Mon May 16, 2011 5:39 am UTC

Is this the part where the dead climb out of their graves, aka zombie apocalypse? I need to make sure my ammo's still good.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Mon May 16, 2011 6:08 am UTC

IcedT wrote:
Triangle_Man wrote:I don't really see why people worry about the end of the world.

The difference is, you don't want to die. These people actively anticipate it.

I don't want to die because of survival instinct, the awesomeness of the world as it is, and the fact you all made me doubt the existence of an afterlife and I can't handle that yet.

And that's what makes these guys a little scary-they are literally acting as if the WILL DIE next Saturday and they seem all to haspy about it. It's like the survival instinct is asleep at the switch. I'm especially worried about the child in this story, as her family has effectively abandoned any chance at her having a future as a result of this belief, which is stupid no matter how you look at it. They could end up on the streets next Sunday as a result of their complete lack of foresight and inability to consider the possibility that they could be wrong about this.

In conclusion, I love different viewpoints but hate stupid people, and I hope to avoid ending up like these guys.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon May 16, 2011 6:16 am UTC

That's my working theory... every time someone's predicted the rapture, they've been correct... but every time it's arrived, noone has actually been taken, because everyone has been from the wrong religion. So God is generous and postpones the apocalypse and schedules yet another rapture a couple of years later. So far we've been able to predict when the rapture will happen, but noone has yet been able to figure out what religion you need to be taken... you have a week left to finalise your guess for this round.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Mon May 16, 2011 6:18 am UTC

phlip wrote:

That's my working theory... every time someone's predicted the rapture, they've been correct... but every time it's arrived, noone has actually been taken, because everyone has been from the wrong religion. So God is generous and postpones the apocalypse and schedules yet another rapture a couple of years later. So far we've been able to predict when the rapture will happen, but noone has yet been able to figure out what religion you need to be taken... you have a week left to finalise your guess for this round.

When Krusty the Clown came back from heaven in the Treehouse of Horros episode XX (or maybe XIX), he said that the one true religion is a mix of voodoo and methodist.

H2SO4

Postby H2SO4 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:27 am UTC

Spoiler'd for humor in bad taste.
Spoiler:
sourmìlk wrote:When Krusty the Clown came back from heaven in the Treehouse of Horros episode XX (or maybe XIX), he said that the one true religion is a mix of voodoo and methodist.

Soooo... Mormons?
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Mon May 16, 2011 6:33 am UTC

H2SO4 wrote:Spoiler'd for humor in bad taste.
Spoiler:
sourmìlk wrote:When Krusty the Clown came back from heaven in the Treehouse of Horros episode XX (or maybe XIX), he said that the one true religion is a mix of voodoo and methodist.

Soooo... Mormons?

Ba-dum tsh!

H2SO4

Postby H2SO4 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:47 am UTC

It's about damn time someone gave me one of those.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Mon May 16, 2011 10:55 am UTC

userxp wrote:

Well, you'd have quite a few supporters, since apparently it happened in 1884, 1914, 1918, 1925, 1942, 1975, 1981, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, and will happen again this 2011 and in 2060.

If that is an exhaustive list, then the clustering is very interesting. They've been getting closer together in the second half of the century - and then, six raptures in eight years, followed by a sixteen year gap? I wonder if that kind of mass hysteria is correlated to the state of world politics.

Edit: On checking the article, the 2060 figure by Newton was supposed to be a lower bound. :P
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Return to “News & Articles”