In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Angua » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:41 am UTC

No manatees!!!!!!

The tea party will now definitely never get my vote (not that it was anywhere near a close thing before :P )
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

'Lost tribe' of Mallorca Jews welcomed back to the faith 600 years later

This is what really caught my eye:

"Since it has become clear this it is accepted among them that throughout the generations, most of them married among themselves, then all of those who are related to the former generations are Jews," the rabbi's decisions said, according to the Arutz Sheva website.
Today there are 15 popular surnames on the island that originate from the Chueta community. Around 18,000 people, including some of the island's wealthier families, bear the surnames.

Genetic studies have shown the tendency to intermarry that continued until the 1970s had produced a degree of "genetic homogeneity", according to researchers at the university of the Balearic Islands.

15 family names. 18,000 people. That is some crazy inbreeding.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:56 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:

How is that a sign of inbreeding?

buddy431

Postby buddy431 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:36 pm UTC

Rabbis will now start teaching any who are interested in embracing Judaism. Only a handful, however, are reported to have started to attend a synagogue in the Mallorcan capital of Palma.

So these folks get declared Jews, even if they have no real interest in practicing? It seems like most religions are more keen to kick people out who don't adhere to the tenets, rather than declare them to be members.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:53 pm UTC

buddy431 wrote:So these folks get declared Jews, even if they have no real interest in practicing? It seems like most religions are more keen to kick people out who don't adhere to the tenets, rather than declare them to be members.

Being Jewish does not necessarily mean one is a practiser of Judaism. There are Jewish atheists out there, for example.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:04 pm UTC

the_bandersnatch wrote:
buddy431 wrote:So these folks get declared Jews, even if they have no real interest in practicing? It seems like most religions are more keen to kick people out who don't adhere to the tenets, rather than declare them to be members.

Being Jewish does not necessarily mean one is a practiser of Judaism. There are Jewish atheists out there, for example.

yeah, being a jew is more than just being of the jewish religion, there is also jewish culture and the jewish race,
you don't say a group of african-americans aren't african-americans because they aren't from africa.... i guess would be a similar situation.

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:25 pm UTC

the_bandersnatch wrote:

yeah, being a jew is more than just being of the jewish religion, there is also jewish culture and the jewish race,
you don't say a group of african-americans aren't african-americans because they aren't from africa.... i guess would be a similar situation.

Sorry, random aside here: I always thought that was the strangest thing - that there's a Jewish race where you don't have to be religiously Jewish. Race nearly everywhere else is just where you're genes originate from. It's not tied to religion so even if you do happen to come from Spain, which is heavily Catholic, you're not from the Catholic race - you're Spanish and you're a Catholic. I understand the background behind it, I just find it odd that no other religious group is really like that.[/hijack]

blu

Postby blu » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:40 pm UTC

Just refer to the ethnicity as Hebrew then. Problem solved.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:08 pm UTC

Mattos said she enjoys showing off the manatees to her grandchildren, but she had little use for the Save the Manatee Club, explaining, "If some of these environmental movements had been around in the days of the dinosaurs, we'd be living in Jurassic Park now."

Oh dear. Oh dear, dear, dear.

I don't even know where to start.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Steax wrote:
Mattos said she enjoys showing off the manatees to her grandchildren, but she had little use for the Save the Manatee Club, explaining, "If some of these environmental movements had been around in the days of the dinosaurs, we'd be living in Jurassic Park now."

The woman lives where Alligators roam the golf courses.
She Does Live in Jurassic Park!
Oh Dear God!
Have they introduce Crocodiles to that environment?
Manatees are so nice. Alligators and Crocodiles? Not so much.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:34 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:
Iulus Cofield wrote:

It's not. The article says they've been endogamous for the last 400 years. The Spanish language Wikipedia says the entire Chueta group is only 18000-20000 people. There are 18,000 Chuetas descended from 15 original families. You do the math.

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:19 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:
Zamfir wrote:
Iulus Cofield wrote:15 family names. 18,000 people. That is some crazy inbreeding.
It's not. The article says they've been endogamous for the last 400 years. The Spanish language Wikipedia says the entire Chueta group is only 18000-20000 people. There are 18,000 Chuetas descended from 15 original families. You do the math.

That is not necessarily the case. 15 (popular) surnames surviving does not mean 15 original families. The family's surname can be lost while its genes survive through non-surname-carrying members. It is impossible to say from this information how many original families contributed to the current gene-pool.

(Flicker, flicker, edit, edit.)
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

buddy431

Postby buddy431 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:52 am UTC

Cops shoot each other trying to arrest an unarmed suspect

To be fair to the cops, they probably didn't know that he was unarmed when they were arresting him. It's really lucky that they only hit other police officers responding, though, and not any innocent bystanders in the parking lot.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:25 am UTC

Steax wrote:

Lol yeah that was the best quote from the entire article.

I agree with her though. If the modern environmental movement had been around in the time of the dinosaurs they might well have survived. And wouldn't that have been awesome? Freaking dinosaurs man! I'd love to see a live one!
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:11 am UTC

Diadem wrote:
Steax wrote:

Lol yeah that was the best quote from the entire article.

I agree with her though. If the modern environmental movement had been around in the time of the dinosaurs they might well have survived. And wouldn't that have been awesome? Freaking dinosaurs man! I'd love to see a live one!

Again; Crocodiles and Alligators! They are dinosaurs! And; They are scary.

I have seen them. No. Not all of them, but, enough. Crocodiles are more scary than alligators. Crocodiles will kill when they are not hungry. Alligators don't, usually. Crocodiles may be smarter than previously thought. I think that they were stalking us. One or more of us could have been a tasty treat. Dumb luck was all that stood between us and the Crocodiles. We did not understand the risks until later.
They are dinosaurs! I am glad that we don't have very many of them left. Of course, these may be the only frighteningly cold blooded ones. (Shrug.)

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Evengeduld

Postby Evengeduld » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:42 am UTC

buddy431 wrote:Cops shoot each other trying to arrest an unarmed suspect

To be fair to the cops, they probably didn't know that he was unarmed when they were arresting him. It's really lucky that they only hit other police officers responding, though, and not any innocent bystanders in the parking lot.

that is what you get when you shoot before you look. Ok reaching to your waist band might seem offensive when being pursued by the police but what if his pants was dropping? Running with your pants on your ancles is not that easy. :)
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:34 am UTC

Evengeduld wrote:

that is what you get when you shoot before you look. Ok reaching to your waist band might seem offensive when being pursued by the police but what if his pants was dropping? Running with your pants on your ancles is not that easy. :)

had left the theater and was approaching his car when police tried to arrest him

In my mind he's reaching for his keys, arm already in motion as the police approach him from the left, they yell, he turns, they see his hand reaching toward his pocket, jump to the paranoid conclusion that ones mind immediatly jumps to when guns can be purchased from the local supermarket, draw and fire.
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:20 pm UTC

The also hit the unarmed suspect in the foot.

This is only humorous in a dark way. The "Haha, Belial's right, cops are trigger happy power trippers so excited to be shooting an unarmed victimsuspect that they accidentally shot other cops" kind of way.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:24 pm UTC

In my mind he's reaching for his keys, arm already in motion as the police approach him from the left, they yell, he turns, they see his hand reaching toward his pocket, jump to the paranoid conclusion that ones mind immediatly jumps to when guns can be purchased from the local supermarket, draw and fire.

Nice hyperbole on the supermarket
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:28 pm UTC

Is Walmart not a supermarket of sorts?
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:07 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure Walmart is a department store, maybe even a warehouse? Depends on the type of Walmart store since they can vary.

edit:
Actually I got curious and looked it up on wiki, some are Hypermarkets. That's like when a supermarket and a department store have a baby.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:19 pm UTC

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant. If we're defining supermarket as grocery store, Walmart wins. If we're defining it as store where you can get pretty much anything your want because it's a conglomeration of different kinds of stores in the same building, Walmart wins.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:14 pm UTC

Police shooting people is not funny, anymore.
It is sad. It seems to happen, often.
The people that use the building are on TV taking sides.

Anybody can be accused of anything and the Police move in with justified swiftness?
Can we go back to something that is funny?

It is not funny to me, because, the Police were told that I am a frightening criminal. I had a great many Police contacts. NOT FUN!

Think about it. I just stand there with my hands at my sides. I have not been shot for it, yet. But, I have heard that the Police can yell at a person to lie down. If, the person does not lie down, then, that is resisting arrest.

Think about it! I would hesitate to lie down. It is not something that I do. Who lies down outside on pavement?

I have been told that the Police are allowed to shoot people that resist arrests.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

a_fuzzyduck

Postby a_fuzzyduck » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:44 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:15 family names. 18,000 people. That is some crazy inbreeding.

made me think of this, and its stereotypes:

wkw
"GRAPHICS WERE NOT AS GOOD IN THE PAST BUT WE WERE HAPPIER AND MORE INNOCENT THEN" - every retro gaming review, ever

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:49 pm UTC

a_fuzzyduck wrote:

made me think of this, and its stereotypes:

Just because we're all Jones' doesnt mean we have sex with our sisters...there are sheep to.
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:50 pm UTC

You missed a "shag" on the end of that sentence.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

The media has been using the Arabic term for dust storm to describe dust storms. Arizonans think this is an outrage.

“I am insulted that local TV news crews are now calling this kind of storm a haboob,” Don Yonts, a resident of Gilbert, Ariz., wrote to The Arizona Republic after a particularly fierce, mile-high dust storm swept through the state on July 5. “How do they think our soldiers feel coming back to Arizona and hearing some Middle Eastern term?”

“Excuse me, Mr. Weatherman!” she said in a letter to the editor. “Who gave you the right to use the word ‘haboob’ in describing our recent dust storm? While you may think there are similarities, don’t forget that in these parts our dust is mixed with the whoop of the Indian’s dance, the progression of the cattle herd and warning of the rattlesnake as it lifts its head to strike.”
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:11 pm UTC

Is Haboobies the plural of Haboob? If it isn't, can we change it...

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:14 pm UTC

Rachel Maddow puts together video of newscasters saying "haboob."
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:19 pm UTC

Your link took me to a clip about Gaddafi, but I found the haboob videoeventually!

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:23 pm UTC

Oops, thanks.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:35 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Is Haboobies the plural of Haboob? If it isn't, can we change it...

Of course we can change it. That's the best thing about the English language; we can make up any words we like, and the popular ones stick.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:55 pm UTC

Was Haboob introduced into English solely on the basis of it sounding like "huh boob"?

Edit: Based on this Google trend, I'm going to say yes.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

You ask that like we need any other reason :P

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:19 pm UTC

[sings] Haboobies, haboobies, the storms that make dust jet
Haboobies, haboobies, the sure won't make you wet. [/sings]
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:30 pm UTC

What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:40 pm UTC

Wow, really? That strikes me as really odd considering..oh, it's NOT in the US.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:45 pm UTC

Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:04 pm UTC

Although no paperwork was ever signed between Mr Ainsworth and Lucas, it was ruled there was an "implied contract".

Worth exactly what its encoded on.

Return to “News & Articles”