In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Kulantan

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Kulantan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:47 am UTC

To those saying it wasn't slut-shaming due because they were informing folk of a trend, I only partially agree. The order to the cops to inform folk that they fit the victim profile might be useful and productive. The execution of that order seems to have been a bit flawed:
The WSJ wrote:According to Lauren, the officer asked if they knew what was going on in the neighborhood. When they answered in the affirmative, he asked if they knew what the guy was looking for.

"He pointed at my outfit and said, 'Don't you think your shorts are a little short?'" she recalled. "He pointed at their dresses and said they were showing a lot of skin."

He said that such clothing could make the suspect think he had "easy access," said Lauren.

She said the officer explained that "you're exactly the kind of girl this guy is targeting."

The assailant(s) aren't targeting women wearing shorts. The officer makes comments about the absolute sluttiness of the clothes, rather than the assailant(s) preferences. If easy access is the reasoning then the whole short shorts thing is pure slut-shaming.

Just because the idea of informing people of the victim profiles (and therefore hopefully of risk factors) isn't bad doesn't mean that some cops weren't slut-shaming dicks about the whole thing. The highly dismissive commentary of the NYPD spokesman certainly didn't help matters.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:10 pm UTC

That's what I'm saying. The intent is to inform potential victims that fit a profile. The execution of the intent was worded and targeted poorly. If it was 100% definite slut-shaming, then they would have started out with the explicit intent to slut-shame, and I think the warnings would have been even more explicit and inflammatory than they were. To me, this seems to be more clumsiness than malice.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:26 pm UTC

Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:23 pm UTC

I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:07 am UTC

Oh Jupiter, you troll.

buddy431

Postby buddy431 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:03 am UTC

I don't find that surprising at all. Jupiter's low near the Eastern horizon in the evening right now, and much, much brighter than anything else in that area of the sky. If you looked at it for a while, it would become clear it's not a flare (it doesn't move), but this might be difficult if, for example, clouds were partly obscuring it.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:09 am UTC

I once stared at Venus for some ten minutes, while walking down a street toward a friend's house one evening. I knew that it had to be Venus because of the location and time, but damned if I could talk myself out of seeing it as a helicopter with a gigantic searchlight. (Holding really, reeeeallly still.)
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:44 pm UTC

This seems a nice illustration of a situation where type II errors are better than type I errors. :)
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:00 pm UTC

Reminds me of the cop who was called out to investigate a UFO sighting; the ufo turned out to be the moon.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:24 pm UTC

I'm surprised cops handle that (do they just forward the information to the military if identified as hostile?)

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:30 pm UTC

rigwarl wrote:I'm surprised cops handle that (do they just forward the information to the military if identified as hostile?)

only if you want that shit covered up. the military hates aliens, didn't you watch district 9? best documentary ever
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:31 am UTC

Axe murderer allowed out of jail to...

...chop down trees with axes!

Isn't the corrections system wonderful?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... trees.html

Axe Murderer Thomas McCulloch, convicted of triple homicide ax-murder after escaping from a mental institution, has been allowed by the corrections system to take courses at a nature reserve in which he is required to chop trees with axes.

So... they're letting a triple-homicide possibly-insane axe murderer out of jail to use axes.

Anyone else think that there is something just blatantly wrong here? A fundamental failure of basic logic perhaps?

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:41 am UTC

Hey, he likes axes. And might be good at using them. Why not put him in a place where he can make use of his skills and interests?

/*twitch*
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:49 am UTC

I don't know. That seems like a worse idea than letting Casey Anthony run a daycare center.

It may work if we can contain him solely to trees, but that's a problem in any of itself.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:33 am UTC

I'm all for being cautious, but what if the guy has legitimately made progress and one of the best ways is to see positive ways to use an axe. I'd read the article to make a better armchair assessment but the URL you posted failed and I don't feel like delving through the daily fail.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:27 am UTC

Jplus wrote:This seems a nice illustration of a situation where type II errors are better than type I errors. :)

This seems a nice illustration of the continued situation where "type I errors" and "type II errors" are stupid terms, when "false positive" and "false negative" are much easier to say and don't require looking up Wikipedia every time to remind the reader of which is which...

Also, I'd much prefer a false positive (your "type I error") than a false negative (your "type II error") when it comes to rescue teams... the former wastes the rescue team's time, but the latter has someone who needs rescuing not getting it.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

userxp

Postby userxp » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:47 am UTC

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:58 am UTC

phlip wrote:
Jplus wrote:This seems a nice illustration of a situation where type II errors are better than type I errors. :)

This seems a nice illustration of the continued situation where "type I errors" and "type II errors" are stupid terms, when "false positive" and "false negative" are much easier to say and don't require looking up Wikipedia every time to remind the reader of which is which...

Also, I'd much prefer a false positive (your "type I error") than a false negative (your "type II error") when it comes to rescue teams... the former wastes the rescue team's time, but the latter has someone who needs rescuing not getting it.

You are obviously right since it turns out that you take the null hypothesis opposite to what I was thinking. Yes, false positives are definitely better.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:53 pm UTC

phlip wrote:

Very much this, and when people start getting into "type III/IV errors" and I'm completely lost. (I know one of them is essentially "asking the wrong question", but buggered if I know which one it is, or what the other one is).
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:42 am UTC

Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:31 am UTC

6 Dumbest hacks of all time, but I'd like to point at the 6th one.

One clever hacker realized that recent speed traps use cameras that automatically register your speed, take a picture of you license plate, and then use character recognition to translate you license plate number into something they can use as a lookup within the DMV database. With this in mind, he changed his license plate number to ('ZU 0666', 0, 0); Drop Database Table.

I was dubious about it at first, but there are other articles on it, like this one that has a photo.

It's also on gizmodo and a few other sites. So not sure if it's actually legit, or if it actually worked, but amusing nonetheless.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:41 am UTC

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:02 pm UTC

Excellent. I really liked the new perspective.

(Of course, on the other hand we shouldn't forget that alcohol is poinonous and addictive.)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:03 pm UTC

I've seen these studies before, and it's even referenced in 50 First Dates, but I still find it amusing.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

http://www.npr.org/2011/10/12/141233588 ... etaliation

Baseball pitchers are more likely to bean batters a) when it's hotter and b) when their own people have already been beaned
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:36 pm UTC

"Bean" is a verb?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:37 pm UTC

To hit very hard with a thrown object.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:38 pm UTC

Ah, and here I was thinking it had something to do with Rowan Atkinson.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:41 pm UTC

I think it's mainly used by Americans.

Interestingly, at home (Nevis), we used to use 'stone' and 'soak' for hitting people hard with a ball. Stone is easy enough to figure out why, and I think we used soak because wet balls sting more?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:44 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:"Bean" is a verb?

"Bean" is fairly old slang referring to the head or brain (the brain having some superficial resemblance to a pair of beans next to one another). To 'be beaned' is to be hit in the head.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:52 pm UTC

What a wonderful fruit.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:00 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:What a wonderful fruit.

The more you eat, the more you 'toot'.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:00 pm UTC

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-s ... 1415.story

Three senior citizens accidentally get stoned by unknowingly eating pot brownies at a funeral :lol:

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:50 am UTC

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44875752/ns/us_news-weird_news/#.TpZ6sN4g_UA

Family with young child gets lost in corn maze, gets scared and calls 911, police find them 25 feet from the exit.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:56 am UTC

"Said Connors: 'I have a funny feeling it's going to be a real busy season.' "

Now that this story has hit the everywhere, yep.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:05 pm UTC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15289625

Government health advisory employs Captain Obvious.

Edit: this post was funnier before they changed the headline from "'Eat Less And Exercise More' Says Government Obesity Strategy".

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:18 pm UTC

Continuing the stereotype of Americans suing at the drop of a hat:

Moviegoer sues: Not enough driving in 'Drive'

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:45 pm UTC

this may have boon posted, it's quite fascinating

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... NETTXT9038

Return to “News & Articles”