In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

mike-l

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby mike-l » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:52 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:Yeah, you've got a creature which you own legally, which is a different species, and in the case of dogs basically worships you as something like a god... and there is doubt that it would be traumatic for an animal to be raped by someone?

Would it be traumatic being raped by a dog?

There's your answer.

Yeah.. anthropomorphism at its finest.

Would it be traumatic if your dog kept you, for years, in a cage overnight, made you eat off on the floor, controlled your entry and exit into the house, made you use the washroom outside, etc etc?
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

iamspen

Postby iamspen » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:25 pm UTC

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:30 pm UTC

iamspen wrote:http://www.redstate.com/2012/09/25/president-obama-declares-the-future-must-not-belong-to-practicing-christians/

Blink. Blink blink.

Facepalm.

Ow.

Yes, what a terrible article.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Darryl

Postby Darryl » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:50 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
iamspen wrote:http://www.redstate.com/2012/09/25/president-obama-declares-the-future-must-not-belong-to-practicing-christians/

Blink. Blink blink.

Facepalm.

Ow.

Yes, what a terrible article.

Talk about completely missing the point, like the GOP always does when Obama speaks. He was saying, in essence, don't be a douchebag about religion.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

natraj

Postby natraj » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:51 pm UTC

that article made me fall down a black hole of reading redstate articles and comments. i just wasted a good two hours of my day laughing though.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:25 pm UTC

If you perform a sex act with an animal, it's perfectly legal if you do it for the purpose of impregnation. You give a horse a hand job to get his seed, you stick a turkey baster of horse semen and put it in a female horse, no problem. If you do this sort of thing for your own pleasure, then all of a sudden it's time for the police to get involved. Of course from the point of view of the horse, they can't really tell the difference, so it doesn't really seem like those laws are on the books for the protection of animals. More likely it's because these actions are disgusting and taboo to most people and no one with the smallest amount of authority or social standing has anything to gain by opposing such laws.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:46 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm not a fan of limiting freedom because it's taboo.

There's an argument for animal cruelty, and I'm happy to support such laws on those grounds, though I'm also happy to accept that it's not animal cruelty and oppose those laws. I probably lean to the latter, but could easily be convinced of either side upon seeing some actual evidence instead of just wondering about it in my head.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:00 pm UTC

Google goes underwater

The world’s first tablet-operated underwater camera, the SVII, utilizes special technology to bring the experience to life, taking up to 50,000 images that will be collected through continuous high-resolution, 360-degree panoramic imagery. When stitched together, these images will allow people to choose a location along the Great Barrier Reef, dip underwater and go for a viewer-controlled virtual dive in Google Maps.

http://thestar.blogs.com/photodesk/2012 ... water.html

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:57 pm UTC

I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:31 am UTC

Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:14 am UTC

mike-l wrote:
Max™ wrote:Yeah, you've got a creature which you own legally, which is a different species, and in the case of dogs basically worships you as something like a god... and there is doubt that it would be traumatic for an animal to be raped by someone?

Would it be traumatic being raped by a dog?

There's your answer.

Yeah.. anthropomorphism at its finest.

Would it be traumatic if your dog kept you, for years, in a cage overnight, made you eat off on the floor, controlled your entry and exit into the house, made you use the washroom outside, etc etc?

I generally don't like to keep dogs caged, make them eat off the floor, and so on. I recognize that they've got their own stuff going on behind their eyes, and aren't as good at some things as I am, so I'm obligated to look out for them as I am any random child that happens to wind up in my care, or an invalid, etc... which may just be my personal sense of responsibility as an oldest brother of 6, but I don't see a problem with expecting others to at least live up to a minimum level of decency regarding children and animals.

If you'd feel bad doing it to a little kid, you're probably a dick for doing it to an animal.

AvatarIII wrote:The question becomes a grey area when you say that a human raping a dog is illegal, but someone forcing one dog to rape another dog for procreation is absolutely fine?

I'm not a fan of puppy mills and in general think we have more than enough dogs to go around, we don't need to force them to reproduce.

Like I said above though, I have a large category which I broadly label as being "innocent" and it bothers me seeing things done to members of that group, particularly by creatures capable of understanding the state of mind of another creature, and deliberately choosing to do traumatic things anyways.
Last edited by Max™ on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
mu

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:15 am UTC

Since my last post wasn't really a humorous news item and probably deserves it's own discussion thread, have this little piece of celebrity-on-ghost action.

I can't stop laughing right now for some reason.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:00 am UTC

Max™ wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:The question becomes a grey area when you say that a human raping a dog is illegal, but someone forcing one dog to rape another dog for procreation is absolutely fine?

I'm not a fan of puppy mills and in general think we have more than enough dogs to go around, we don't need to force them to reproduce.

Like I said above though, I have a large category which I broadly label as being "innocent" and it bothers me seeing things done to members of that group, particularly by creatures capable of understanding the state of mind of another creature, and deliberately choosing to do traumatic things anyways.

fan or not, I'm talking only about the legality.

I'm saying that besiality shouldn't be it's own law, it should just be illegal within the realms of animal cruelty. and should be punishable only on the grounds of distress and physical harm caused to the animal to the same degree as causing the same level of distress and harm to the animal in a different way.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:18 am UTC

Max™ wrote:I generally don't like to... make them eat off the floor

Why? They will happily eat their own vomit out of a mud puddle. Where do you think their food is meant to be? If you want to give them food how they're wild predecessors would have it, then only keep packs of dogs, and send them hunting or scavenging for carrion. Which they will eat off the ground.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Max™

Postby Max™ » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:55 am UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:

Why? They will happily eat their own vomit out of a mud puddle. Where do you think their food is meant to be? If you want to give them food how they're wild predecessors would have it, then only keep packs of dogs, and send them hunting or scavenging for carrion. Which they will eat off the ground.

Note the word make, if they want to do something that won't hurt anything or anyone, themselves included, I generally let em. I like to teach them certain appropriate behaviors regarding people/furniture/etc, and at times include various commands and tricks, as I've found most dogs like games and being rewarded for doing things that uh... earn social standing with us, I guess?

It's stressful for a creature that readily adopts a pack-family type grouping to be treated in a manner that doesn't make sense, having someone go from being nice and positive to holding you down and having sex with you generally means you fucked something up, that's going to lead to neuroses and shit, and I'll leave it at that because I get a bit irrational when it comes to dealing with animals that have been abused.

Max™ wrote:

I'm saying that besiality shouldn't be it's own law, it should just be illegal within the realms of animal cruelty. and should be punishable only on the grounds of distress and physical harm caused to the animal to the same degree as causing the same level of distress and harm to the animal in a different way.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, I just get a bit uh... zealous when it comes to people hurting animals or children, so I'm probably not the best person to ask about the "what is suitable punishment" part.
mu

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:45 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:
bentheimmigrant wrote:

Note the word make, if they want to do something that won't hurt anything or anyone, themselves included, I generally let em. I like to teach them certain appropriate behaviors regarding people/furniture/etc, and at times include various commands and tricks, as I've found most dogs like games and being rewarded for doing things that uh... earn social standing with us, I guess?

It's stressful for a creature that readily adopts a pack-family type grouping to be treated in a manner that doesn't make sense, having someone go from being nice and positive to holding you down and having sex with you generally means you fucked something up, that's going to lead to neuroses and shit, and I'll leave it at that because I get a bit irrational when it comes to dealing with animals that have been abused.

Max™ wrote:

Yeah, I get what you're saying, I just get a bit uh... zealous when it comes to people hurting animals or children, so I'm probably not the best person to ask about the "what is suitable punishment" part.

I totally agree with you. people should be punished for hurting children and animals. we don't need to talk about how much punishment, I just don't understand why an owner could probably beat a dog around with a stick every day of it's life, and probably get punished to a lesser than a guy that is generally nice to his dog, but has sex with her occasionally.

conversely if a woman allows a dog to have sex with her, is that illegal under bestiality laws? because I fail to see any possible way that could be considered animal cruelty.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:51 pm UTC

So didn't see a post about this, but apple's new maps program is, well, terrible.

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

Especially the part where it tells you to DRIVE ON RAILROAD TRACKS.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:10 pm UTC

emceng wrote:So didn't see a post about this, but apple's new maps program is, well, terrible.

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

Especially the part where it tells you to DRIVE ON RAILROAD TRACKS.

It's in the tech-news thread.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:29 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:I totally agree with you. people should be punished for hurting children and animals. we don't need to talk about how much punishment, I just don't understand why an owner could probably beat a dog around with a stick every day of it's life, and probably get punished to a lesser than a guy that is generally nice to his dog, but has sex with her occasionally.

conversely if a woman allows a dog to have sex with her, is that illegal under bestiality laws? because I fail to see any possible way that could be considered animal cruelty.

Well, ideally the person beating the dog would get a stiff punishment too, as I said, my eye for an eye reflex is to beat the guy with a stick.

As for the dog having sex with her, it strikes me that there are disease vectors present which makes that a bad idea besides just being damned weird, and I'm not sure that it would unharmful for the dog to consider human females potential sexual partners, if just for the unfortunate possibility that the dog might wind up raping someone and getting put down for it.

It's not so much about bestiality or any weird archaic laws, as much as it is that the animals we're talking about don't really have the same sort of cognizance of reasons and consequences involved in these sorts of acts, so you're effectively damaging the animal by training it to respond to certain types of stimuli in a potentially very inappropriate manner.

Very few animals could really qualify for granting legal consent, though I'm sure there are ones who could signal intent, and even attempt matings, but the situation where an animal which usually tends to form mating pairs AND is under your complete control, like I said, before we ask whether it's ok because the dog wanted to do some chick, it's probably worth asking what went on to lead that dog to view her as a sexual partner.

In general though I'd prefer a hard broadly applied rule to prevent any sort of ideas that "it's ok if the dog wants to have sex with a chick, so if my dog seems to want it" type of justifications, as it's really impossible to go wrong with a law that states "don't train animals to fuck you", isn't it?
mu

yurell

Postby yurell » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:43 pm UTC

I'm sorry, I really don't understand your reasoning. It's legal to own them as slaves, it's legal to slaughter them for no reason, it's even legal to keep them in a factory-farm where they go insane, but it shouldn't be legal to have sex with them? I honestly don't see why; is consent an issue? If so, when did they consent to be slaves & slaughtered? Never. If it's acceptable to butcher them, it should be acceptable to have sex with them, so long the animal doesn't experience unnecessary pain.
This last restriction is already in place (for the most part) in holding the animals in forced servitude and slaughtering them, so why would it be harder to apply to the realm of sexual relations?
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:05 pm UTC

Whoa, wait, Pat Robertson was right; soon we will be allowed to have sex with ducks?

Max™

Postby Max™ » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:18 pm UTC

yurell wrote:I'm sorry, I really don't understand your reasoning. It's legal to own them as slaves, it's legal to slaughter them for no reason, it's even legal to keep them in a factory-farm where they go insane, but it shouldn't be legal to have sex with them? I honestly don't see why; is consent an issue? If so, when did they consent to be slaves & slaughtered? Never. If it's acceptable to butcher them, it should be acceptable to have sex with them, so long the animal doesn't experience unnecessary pain.
This last restriction is already in place (for the most part) in holding the animals in forced servitude and slaughtering them, so why would it be harder to apply to the realm of sexual relations?

Well, I didn't say that I'm ok with the rest of that completely either, it was just brought up in discussion with that topic, and like I said, it is unnecessary to have sex with an animal under any situation.

Using animals for labor can be phased out in many instances, not all, but it is a good thing to move that way.

It might not seem obvious if you've peeked in on the "possibility of a rational ... global warming debate" thread, but I do actually have pretty strong positions regarding uh... stewardship of the environment? So as much as I enjoy hamburgers, I think we'd all be better off eating a lot less meat, beef in particular, because of all the issues with resource usage, land usage, water pollution, and then you stack on raising animals to slaughter and butcher them on top of a big environmental mess... suffice to say I'm looking forward to being able to culture meat on demand.

Nonetheless, there are arguable situations wherein animals may need to be raised for labor or slaughter... there aren't any wherein animals may need to be raised for sex with humans, are there?

In that situation, you can look at things like disease vectors, mental trauma, physical trauma, and sure, I suppose there could be cases where the animal was perfectly happy... but I'd rather not leave a semi-legal case to provide some sort of justification, like I said, without a good reason for it, and clear reasons against it, why be lenient?
mu

natraj

Postby natraj » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:21 pm UTC

yurell wrote:I'm sorry, I really don't understand your reasoning. It's legal to own them as slaves, it's legal to slaughter them for no reason, it's even legal to keep them in a factory-farm where they go insane, but it shouldn't be legal to have sex with them? I honestly don't see why; is consent an issue? If so, when did they consent to be slaves & slaughtered? Never. If it's acceptable to butcher them, it should be acceptable to have sex with them, so long the animal doesn't experience unnecessary pain.

this is basically my reasoning and why i think that bestiality laws have nothing to do with animal welfare and everything to do with people going oh gross! and laws should not be made based on people being squicked.

i mean, i am personally in favor of NOT being allowed to slaughter and factory farm and use them as slaves for our profit (and have sex with them), but if the law is going to treat them as though they are there for our use it is inconsistent to allow those other things and criminalize having sex with them, which is probably a) less traumatic than factory farming and b) anyway in the course of all our other uses, people are often raping them anyway in order to breed them, so it is a pretty stupid distinction.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:21 pm UTC

One could make the argument that animals have been bred to be slaves/food, but not sexual partners. That's a fairly weak argument, but ultimately, what it comes down to and I believe you're pointing out, is that sex with animals is bad because it's icky because someone told us it was icky.

Neccessity is also somewhat of an issue; I need meat to survive, or more to the point, eating meat facilitates my survival, whereas sex with an animal doesn't.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:42 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:it's probably worth asking what went on to lead that dog to view her as a sexual partner.

I think you might be putting dogs on a pedestal here, some dogs will hump anything if given the chance sometimes, cushions, toys furniture, ankles, each other. if a woman chooses to put herself in the way and be that something, that has nothing to do with the dog choosing her as a partner.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:44 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:it's probably worth asking what went on to lead that dog to view her as a sexual partner.

I think you might be putting dogs on a pedestal here, some dogs will hump anything if given the chance sometimes, cushions, toys furniture, ankles, each other. if a woman chooses to put herself in the way and be that something, that has nothing to do with the dog choosing her as a partner.

A dog humping someone and a dog actually going through sex to completion with deliberate penetration is a different sort of thing.

It's still a situation that doesn't just happen by accident, and like I said, in the unlikely possibility that said dog could decide this is just the normal way to interact with women, who's at fault then?

If there were ANY conceivable reason to justify it, that might be different, but no, there really isn't anything better than "dogs aren't always very picky" is there?

No one is gonna cure cancer or plow a field or make an important scientific breakthrough by fucking or being fucked by a dog.

Again, just want to note that it isn't about the squick factor, it's concern for the animal, and for potential risks that simply wouldn't exist otherwise... do you wanna be known as the person who discovered there was a dog-human STD that made a transition to an airborne format and triggered a zombie apocalypse because you wanted to fuck your dog?
mu

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:06 pm UTC

Hong Kong tycoon offers $65-million ‘marriage bounty’ for man to wed his gay daughter

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/09/26/hong-kong-tycoon-offers-65-million-marriage-bounty-for-man-to-wed-his-gay-daughter/

A Hong Kong businessman is offering $65-million to the man who can successfully take his daughter’s hand in marriage, despite the fact that his daughter, a 33-year-old lesbian, is apparently already married to her female partner.

Cecil Chao Sze-tsung said the “marriage bounty,” worth 500-million Hong Kong dollars, is to help his future son-in-law establish a new business, according to Business Insider.

Chao told the BBC that claims his daughter Gigi Chao had married partner same-sex partner Sean Eav in France were false, and that he’s already heard from men interested in courting her.

Any Takers? or do we need to call in .... the turner-ninator

‘Gangnam Style’ parody by York University student goes viral'

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article ... goes-viral

A video is a thousand words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFVsrhET ... r_embedded

Man raps pleas for forgiveness to beating victim — in court
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... m-in-court

“This called a formal apology . . . let the past be the past. Focus on tomorrow, please. Accept this as a sorry. I’m tryin’ to be a better man.”

“The Bible says God forgives us our sins/ May him strike me dead next time I wanna throw a fist/ Heads low only feelin’ remorse so/ Take this verse I wrote resourceful/ God help this felon’s scorned soul.”
Matthews told the court he’s an alcoholic who turns nasty when he drinks. He testified that he drank 24 beers before he went looking for a fight.
Last edited by Nylonathatep on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:57 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:07 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:Again, just want to note that it isn't about the squick factor, it's concern for the animal, and for potential risks that simply wouldn't exist otherwise... do you wanna be known as the person who discovered there was a dog-human STD that made a transition to an airborne format and triggered a zombie apocalypse because you wanted to fuck your dog?

This is one of the weirdest "arguments" I've ever heard.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:28 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:Hong Kong tycoon offers $65-million ‘marriage bounty’ for man to wed his gay daughter

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/09/26/hong-kong-tycoon-offers-65-million-marriage-bounty-for-man-to-wed-his-gay-daughter/

A Hong Kong businessman is offering $65-million to the man who can successfully take his daughter’s hand in marriage, despite the fact that his daughter, a 33-year-old lesbian, is apparently already married to her female partner.

Cecil Chao Sze-tsung said the “marriage bounty,” worth 500-million Hong Kong dollars, is to help his future son-in-law establish a new business, according to Business Insider.

Chao told the BBC that claims his daughter Gigi Chao had married partner same-sex partner Sean Eav in France were false, and that he’s already heard from men interested in courting her.

If I was in the daughter's shoes I could deal with a fake marriage for a couple of years if I got to split $65 million with some random person. I guess maybe she's already super rich on her own though and doesn't need it.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:31 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:Hong Kong tycoon offers $65-million ‘marriage bounty’ for man to wed his gay daughter

I'd totally do that. Split the cash with the woman, then never see her again. Works out well for both of us.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Max™

Postby Max™ » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:22 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
Max™ wrote:Again, just want to note that it isn't about the squick factor, it's concern for the animal, and for potential risks that simply wouldn't exist otherwise... do you wanna be known as the person who discovered there was a dog-human STD that made a transition to an airborne format and triggered a zombie apocalypse because you wanted to fuck your dog?

Yeah, I went a bit absurdist there, didn't I?
mu

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:47 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:
Роберт wrote:

It unfortunately sounded similar to some anti-gay arguments I've heard.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:03 pm UTC

I hereby move that Max be no longer allowed to post on this forum, for the potential risks that simply wouldn't exist otherwise... do you really want to be known as the person who caused a secret service agent to rage at XKCD forums and caused him to be late for work and got the President killed, just because you wanted to let him make up crazy possibilities?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:19 pm UTC

Nazi Buddha originally from space. The Beeb's own words.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:23 pm UTC

I first skimmed the title and thought it was along the lines of "man offers huge dowry for his daughter's marriage to a woman." Which I thought was really neat.

Then I reread it. Emotion train: :D :shock: :? :|

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:35 pm UTC

How long do we have to marry for? And is consummation required? Wouldn't be the first sham wedding involving homosexuality, and IMHO gay men and women marrying the opposite gender as a cover-up is a bigger mockery of 'traditional marriage' than just about any same-sex marriage...

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:19 am UTC

Yeah, my main thought on this is I want to get in contact with his daughter so we can scam him. Is 10% of the dowry a fair share for me? I imagine we'll have to pretend at holidays for a couple of years before divorcing.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:32 am UTC

Роберт wrote:
Max™ wrote:
Роберт wrote:

It unfortunately sounded similar to some anti-gay arguments I've heard.

It was intended to be sarcastic, naturally, humorous, humorous news, etc.

Oh yeah, I saw that space buddha, I asked the woman if she remembered "that Indiana Jones movie where nazi's found a buddha carved out of a meteorite and Indy went to get it back from them", she started thinking about it, as she's seen the first two, and then I told her "oh wait, this actually happened in real life, minus the Indiana Jones part", that's always fun.
mu

addams

Postby addams » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:10 am UTC

Suzaku wrote:New Comet :D
Awsome! ... Or not :)
!

Yes. Awsome. The orrt cloud. The idea that our ort cloud is interacting with other ort clouds is a big interesting idea

A ball of ice can not compete with fucking animals.

The posters made me laugh.

We seem to know that humans have an animal/human sexual gray area. It has been this way a long time. Reading the posts as a new generation recreates the wheel is entertaining. It is nice to have a few functioning wheels lying around.

I was taught "consenting adults". Even with human on human action professionals must step in with advice, sometimes.!-(

Q
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:30 am UTC

Whoa: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/28 ... _spinning/

Jet-Launching Structure Resolved Near the Supermassive Black Hole in M87

Abstract
Approximately 10% of active galactic nuclei exhibit relativistic jets, which are powered by accretion of matter onto super massive black holes. While the measured width profiles of such jets on large scales agree with theories of magnetic collimation, predicted structure on accretion disk scales at the jet launch point has not been detected. We report radio interferometry observations at 1.3 mm wavelength of the elliptical galaxy M87 that spatially resolve the base of the jet in this source. The derived size of 5.5 ± 0.4 Schwarzschild radii is significantly smaller than the innermost edge of a retrograde accretion disk, suggesting that the M87 jet is powered by an accretion disk in a prograde orbit around a spinning black hole.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/early ... ce.1224768
mu

Return to “News & Articles”