In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Xeio » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:16 pm UTC

Qaanol wrote:Nope. Not rewriting the constitution.

Calling out the Supreme Court when in gets the Constitution wrong.

In fact, rewriting the constitution would be insufficient, because the Court could just keep misinterpreting it. This is oversight, to make sure the court follows the constitution correctly.
Er, how is this different than amending the constitution? The supreme court interpretation is effectively the constitution (because we don't enumerate every possibility ever covered by every amendment, that's why we have the supreme court, to interpret).

And then of course there's a question of implementation. Does this require the court re-rules on the subject (but with the changed interpretation of the constitution in mind?), so presumably they could still find it constitutional on other grounds? Could they instead strike just the unconstitutional parts of the passed law as normal?

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:37 pm UTC

Humorous News story... I promise this time.

Iranian media report claims Alberta police abduct, traffic Aboriginal children for profit

In Monday’s report, headlined “Alberta takes aboriginal kids from parents at high rate,” Joshua Blakeney, Press TV’s Calgary correspondent, interviews two anonymous women, dressed in crude head coverings and interviewed in shadow.

“Some upset parents allege that there is a profit motive behind what they refer to as Canada’s so-called child protective services,” Mr. Blakeney says.

Press TVIn Monday’s report, headlined “Alberta takes aboriginal kids from parents at high rate,” Joshua Blakeney, Press TV’s Calgary correspondent, interviews two anonymous women, dressed in crude head coverings and interviewed in shadow..Over images of the Vancouver Police motorcycle drill team, Mr. Blakeney asserts the abductions are the work of INSET, a multi-agency anti-terrorism squad that was launched in Alberta last June.

Spoiler:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/12/11 ... or-profit/

Since when do aborigional female wears an Islamic Head dress, and have green eyes?

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:13 pm UTC

It depends where they're aboriginal to, really. If they're aboriginal European (or, probably, Persians), then they could have green eyes. Still, Iran really manages to raise the bar on reporting mundane non-news in the most insanely biased way possible.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:26 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:It depends where they're aboriginal to, really. If they're aboriginal European (or, probably, Persians), then they could have green eyes. Still, Iran really manages to raise the bar on reporting mundane non-news in the most insanely biased way possible.

I'm assuming they mean Canada, given that Calgary is in the Canadian province of Alberta, and that's where these interviews took place (and one of the women interviewed is "claim[ing] her “aboriginal children” were taken by a squad of 32 heavily armed officers", so it's not like she's talking on behalf of other people.) I suppose it's not impossible, but green eyes would be extremely unlikely.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:54 am UTC

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:32 am UTC

AFAIK, green eyes only exist in Indo-European and Indo-Iranian populations, as well as their descendants. There may have been some East Asians with green eyes, but then Lo Pan arrived.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:49 am UTC

So, sweet.
And; So, weird.
I understand driving four hours for dinner and drinks with a bunch of new people.
I do not understand driving four hours to watch someone else play a game.
Shrug. I understand driving four hours to streak across a field of people playing a game.
I would walk in to see that.

ahh The good old days.
What happened to all the streakers?
Those guys were color in an otherwise drab area of human activity.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:20 am UTC

Streakers still exist, they just don't show them on TV anymore, so as to discourage such behavior. As soon as a streaker gets on the field, they cut away from the feed of the field.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:20 pm UTC

They could also discourage streakers by throwing them in prison without giving them any clothes...

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:23 pm UTC

addams wrote:I do not understand driving four hours to watch someone else play a game.

Apparently he was there on business anyway.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:00 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:They could also discourage streakers by throwing them in prison without giving them any clothes...

Yes, because minor misdemeanours that hurt no one deserve cruel and unusual punishment.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:07 pm UTC

Correct! You can discourage any crime with disproportionate retribution. Of course, the harsher you police, the more thoughtcrime exists, so the more cleansing you need. You won't have any citizens left but hey, no crime.

No crime is worse than people supporting the wrong soccer team, as evidenced by Brazil's perfectly reasonable treatment of dirty foreigners.
Last edited by CorruptUser on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:08 pm UTC

The high crime rates in countries with the death penalty proves that wrong. But hey, maybe if the death penalty was done via hanging, drawing and quartering... or a viking blood-eagle type execution. Maybe we're just not being vengeful enough.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:15 pm UTC

The trick is to execute everyone. Because the War on Crime can only be won through much (human, not your) sacrifice. Hey, to make an omelet sometimes you have to cause an entire species of bird to become extinct.

In case Poe's law has been in effect, I'm against the war on crime and am being sarcastic.

Darryl

Postby Darryl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:39 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:AFAIK, green eyes only exist in Indo-European and Indo-Iranian populations, as well as their descendants. There may have been some East Asians with green eyes, but then Lo Pan arrived.

Yeah, and indigenous populations NEVER mixed with colonizers. Not once.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:50 pm UTC

"As well as their descendants"

Also, I'm not sure someone who has mixed ancestry is really aboriginal. Meh, we are all mutts though.

Darryl

Postby Darryl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:20 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Also, I'm not sure someone who has mixed ancestry is really aboriginal.

Seriously? Did you seriously just say that? Because that right there is racist.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:25 pm UTC

Darryl wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Also, I'm not sure someone who has mixed ancestry is really aboriginal.

i think in the context of the definition of aboriginal (indigenous) i don't think it is.

well, assuming you read a little more than what was actually written down, there are interpretations that aren't directly immediately racist. since indigenous people's are by definition not "mixed" with people accepted as colonizers.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:29 pm UTC

Darryl wrote:

How is that racist? And doesn't Aboriginal mean the people who were indigenous in the area from its origin? Presumably once you start inter-mixing you're not longer the same original grouping that was there to begin with. Assuming the mixed means between Aboriginal people and people who came there later, not say mixing between different groupings Aboriginal people from that area.

Choboman

Postby Choboman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:30 pm UTC

Guess it all depends on how you define aboriginal. While I tend to be against these kinds of arbitrary classifications no matter how you slice them, the old 'one drop rules' (i.e. on drop of x in your blood means that you're x) never struck me as particularly valid.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:26 pm UTC

The blood thing seems a bit weak, to me...I'd kinda feel that you'd have to be both a descendent and practicing the traditional culture to be considered aboriginal, but I've not argued it out in my head too much.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:43 pm UTC

I'll say it's extremely rare that any North American Native would have green eyes. It's Genetics.

http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask316

For your information, Indigenous North America are Migrant from Asia in the Neolithic times via the then frozen bering strait, typically have brown eyes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Ame ... ted_States

I'll say it's also extremely rare that a Native American actually have green eyes, and practicing Islam (wearing Islamic Head-cover) ... Just saying.

Now in other news...

Justin Bieber murder plot: Two men hired to kill, castrate the Canadian pop star have been arrested

It is alleged Mark Staake, 41, and his nephew Tanner Ruane, 23, were hired to castrate and murder the singer — only to have the plot botched by the very man who hired them, Albuquerque’s KRQE reported.

The plot began in Las Cruces prison, in New Mexico, where Staake met convicted serial killer and rapist Dana Martin. Martin, 45, at that point hired Staake, who was also serving time, to carry out four murders after Staake was released from prison — one of which was to be Bieber.

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2012/12/12 ... -arrested/

Those two are heroes of humanity and would have done it a get service. I salute thee.

I don't think we would notice any difference if Bieber has been castrated thou...

Why are dead people ‘liking’ stuff on Facebook?

Two friends were outraged to find posthumous Facebook “likes” for people they knew. In one, a man who hated big corporations had “liked” Discover six months after he died. In another, a woman “liked” a tea company eight months after she died.

The account of a dead person has to be “memorialized” through this Facebook link to close it down.

As for the dead person’s “like,” Meg Sinclair said, “They would have engaged with that brand in the past. It could have been at any time.”

http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... n-facebook

The only logical conclusion is... Facebook can be used to communicate with the dead!

Previously unknown Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale found

The handwritten copy of the tale, entitled “Tallow Candle,” and dedicated to a vicar's widow named Bunkeflod who had lived across from Andersen's home, had been left seemingly untouched at the bottom of one of the boxes.

“I was ecstatic,” Brage said. “I had never imagined this.”

The short story tells the tale of how a tallow candle seeks help from a tinder box to be able to ignite itself. A senior curator at the Hans Christian Andersen Museum in Odense said the work is likely one of the author's earliest, written at the age of 18 — seven years before his official debut in 1830.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/artic ... tale-found

Spoiler alert!!!

Spoiler:
The Candle burned itself out and died.
Last edited by Nylonathatep on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:00 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:44 pm UTC

Darryl wrote:

I'm unsure of the meaning of certain words. Therefore, I MUST be racist. There is no other explanation.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:53 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:

Now in other news...

Justin Bieber murder plot: Two men hired to kill, castrate the Canadian pop star have been arrested

It is alleged Mark Staake, 41, and his nephew Tanner Ruane, 23, were hired to castrate and murder the singer — only to have the plot botched by the very man who hired them, Albuquerque’s KRQE reported.

The plot began in Las Cruces prison, in New Mexico, where Staake met convicted serial killer and rapist Dana Martin. Martin, 45, at that point hired Staake, who was also serving time, to carry out four murders after Staake was released from prison — one of which was to be Bieber.

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2012/12/12 ... -arrested/

Those two are heroes of humanity and would have done it a get service. I salute thee.

I don't think we would notice any difference if Bieber has been castrated thou...

i think the castration part was put in the contract so that the person issuing the contract could have it nullified and not have to pay out since that portion of the contract couldn't be completed (as you can't castrate one without balls)
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:56 pm UTC

Haha, there's a kid with a pretty voice who got popular, let's laugh about mutilating and murdering him. Haha.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:58 pm UTC

Yes, let's salute two guys were planning to mutilate and murder someone.

Thank goodness making fun of someone by claiming they're a woman is still funny.

:roll:
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:01 pm UTC

some sovereign citizen fun.

here is the full 10 minute audio where the woman calls 911 after a police car behind her turns on their lights and sirens. she claims that they will owe her $300,000 dollars to pull her over.

Sovereign citizens are always fun.
418 I'm a teapot

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:07 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Yes, let's salute two guys were planning to mutilate and murder someone.

Thank goodness making fun of someone by claiming they're a woman is still funny.

:roll:

just to be clear...i never claimed anything close to the second sentence here. not having testicles isn't the same as being a woman.

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:11 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:Haha, there's a kid with a pretty voice who got popular, let's laugh about mutilating and murdering him. Haha.

pseudoidiot wrote:Yes, let's salute two guys were planning to mutilate and murder someone.

Yeah middle school is so much fun :roll:

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:43 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
Darryl wrote:

I'm unsure of the meaning of certain words. Therefore, I MUST be racist. There is no other explanation.

I was of the understanding that aboriginal meant the people originally from the area. It gets nonsensical when you start trying to define it. For example, you could argue that the Celts were the natives of England, then they got conquered by the Saxons and Angles, who in turn were conquered by the Normans. So were the Anglo-Saxon-Celts the new aboriginals? Were the Norman-other also Aboriginal?

But AFAIK, someone who is mixed is mixed; we all are to some degree. Humanity no longer has sub-species*. We have populations with varying amounts of phenotypes and alleles, but genetic drift occurs. But would you consider a Korean baby adopted by Caucasian parents to be Caucasian, because it goes by culture? Or would someone who is 3/4 Japanese to not be Japanese? Where do you draw the arbitrary line in the sand, or do you just say 'screw it because it doesn't really matter?' One of the Creek chiefs that fought Andrew Jackson was 3/4 white, while there are people who are 7/8 Cherokee that the Cherokee won't recognize because they were descended from slaves.

*sub-species are members on the same species with different phenotypes AND are separated from the rest of the species so there is no genetic drift. Once that barrier ends they are no longer subspecies.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:49 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:just to be clear...i never claimed anything close to the second sentence here. not having testicles isn't the same as being a woman.
Fair point.

I'm just so totally over people hating on Justin Bieber for no reason I can fathom, and most of those jokes revolve around calling him a woman as if it's supposed to be an insult.

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:43 pm UTC

RollingHead wrote:
Роберт wrote:Haha, there's a kid with a pretty voice who got popular, let's laugh about mutilating and murdering him. Haha.

Yeah middle school is so much fun :roll:

I thought the problem everyone had with Justin Bieber was that his music was simultaneously terrible and ubiquitous, and therefore incessantly annoying and arguably harmful to society. I thought the desire to have him killed stemmed from some strange belief that this would lower the ubiquity of his music.
(Also I wouldn't have picked middle school as an example of a breeding ground of anti-Bieber sentiment.)

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:43 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:
DSenette wrote:just to be clear...i never claimed anything close to the second sentence here. not having testicles isn't the same as being a woman.
Fair point.

I'm just so totally over people hating on Justin Bieber for no reason I can fathom, and most of those jokes revolve around calling him a woman as if it's supposed to be an insult.

sure.

i just don't like that type of music and/or some of the ways the child* has presented himself and saw an opportunity for a cheap joke.

*err'body should remember that he's still a child so yeah, jokes that seem possibly complicite in the murder/torture of children are probably farther over the line of decency than normal jokes that seem possibly complicite in the murder/torture of adults.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:54 pm UTC

dudiobugtron wrote: I thought the desire to have him killed stemmed from some strange belief that this would lower the ubiquity of his music.
Like with The Beatles?
DSenette wrote:i just don't like that type of music and/or some of the ways the child* has presented himself and saw an opportunity for a cheap joke.

*err'body should remember that he's still a child so yeah, jokes that seem possibly complicite in the murder/torture of children are probably farther over the line of decency than normal jokes that seem possibly complicite in the murder/torture of adults.

Well he's 18 now, which isn't quite a child, but I still found it pretty tasteless and cliché, but not quite as tasteless as if he were still, say, 16.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:07 pm UTC

dudiobugtron wrote:I thought the problem everyone had with Justin Bieber was that his music was simultaneously terrible and ubiquitous, and therefore incessantly annoying and arguably harmful to society.
You could just, you know, not seek out music that you're pretty sure you're going to hate.

I realize that lots of people have jobs where they can't control the background music, and that sucks. But really, a lot of the hatedom seems to be people who have made a conscious decision to listen his music so they can hate it properly.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:13 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:I realize that lots of people have jobs where they can't control the background music, and that sucks. But really, a lot of the hatedom seems to be people who have made a conscious decision to listen his music so they can hate it properly.

Which may be better than freaking out and hating something without having any idea about the thing you're hating on. (Harry Potter reactions come to mind.)

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:17 pm UTC

Yeah, his music definitely my sort of thing, but I recognize he's pretty talented. He doesn't have an awful voice and he can certainly dance. More power to him.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:23 pm UTC

Music made for adolescent girls not popular with adult men! Story at 10:00.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:32 pm UTC

What's this? Reasonable level-headed talk about Justin Bieber on the Internet? What manner of crazy parallel universe have I stepped into?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:40 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:What's this? Reasonable level-headed talk about Justin Bieber on the Internet? What manner of crazy parallel universe have I stepped into?

When people around me talk about 'the Bieb' or 'the Bieber', I tend to misinterpret them as talking about the BBC.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Return to “News & Articles”