In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

It wouldn't surprise me if Americans really are different, even compared to other Westerners. They live in the centre of the West, and the USSR is gone. America hasn't had its Empire broken, and it's not had to struggle with any other hegemony near its borders.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:00 am UTC

What are you talking about? Those pesky Canadians are a real nuisance. Sure, the border crawlers act all friendlylike, but it's a trap to get your guard down!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:02 am UTC

Tim Hortons is just the shock troops, eh? We'll be following up with some hardcore poutine once the Americans' defenses are softened.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:57 am UTC

poxic wrote:Tim Hortons is just the shock troops, eh? We'll be following up with some hardcore poutine once the Americans' defenses are softened.
I want to defect now.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:24 am UTC

poxic wrote:Tim Hortons is just the shock troops, eh? We'll be following up with some hardcore poutine once the Americans' defenses are softened.

You're invading by giving us delicious tribute?

...proceed.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:30 am UTC

We also have several kinds of bacon to woo you with.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:04 am UTC

Lies, poutine is American, not Canadian! It's fries with cheese and gravy; you can't more American than that. I HEREBY ANNEX ALL POUTINE IN THE GLORIOUS NAMES OF COLUMBIA, BROTHER JONATHAN, AND UNCLE SAM, PATRON GUARDIANS OF AMERICA!

Also, we are taking basketball. You can keep hockey and Canadian football.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:56 am UTC

Republican NC lawmaker: Women should 'duct tape' nipples to stay out of jail

Spoiler:
The state House Judiciary Committee C approved House Bill 34, which makes it a Class H felony to purposefully expose "private parts" for the "purpose of arousing or gratifying sexual desire."

The bill expands the state's definition of "private parts" to include a woman's "nipple, or any portion of the areola."

Democratic state Rep. Annie Mobley said she worried that women wearing "questionable fashions” could be prosecuted under the new rules.

But Committee Chairwoman Rep. Sarah Steven (R) suggested that women could use pasties or nipple coverings just to be safe.

“They’d be good to go” with nipple coverings, Stevens said.

"You know what they say, duct tape fixes everything," Republican state Rep. Tim Moore agreed.

Republican state Rep. Rayne Brown told lawmakers that she was co-sponsoring the bill because activists had held a topless women's rights rally in Asheville last summer, where as many as a dozen women bared their breasts (NSFW video here).

Although Brown's district is 100 miles from Asheville, she felt it was important to act before women tried to assert their rights again by going topless at another rally.

K-R

Postby K-R » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:12 am UTC

Although Brown's district is 100 miles from Asheville, she felt it was important to act before women tried to assert their rights again

Righto.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:30 am UTC

koberulz wrote:
Although Brown's district is 100 miles from Asheville, she felt it was important to act before women tried to assert their rights again

Righto.

That's funny. People!

The exposed human breast was a big issue for the same group in the 60's and 70's.
Everyone seemed to have put their shirts back on for thirty years or so.
Now; The shirts are coming off, again?

What a non issue. It is not WEIRD. All over the world, the human form is softened and protected by clothing.
Some people like to be naked. For others it is about Shock value.
I can understand. Some tits are shocking.

Still; It's funny. Rumor has it, Dick Cheney had the tits of some statues covered.
Only rumor. Believable rumor. (shrug.)
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:47 am UTC

addams wrote:Still; It's funny. Rumor has it, Dick Cheney had the tits of some statues.
Only rumor. Believable rumor. (shrug.)

Miss read this as this, one word makes a world of difference.

http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8617402
Thought this was about guns, haha, well I suppose it is, does she work out?
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:49 am UTC

addams wrote:For others it is about Shock value.
I can understand. Some tits are shocking.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:
Iulus Cofield wrote:Apparently, it is illegal in Australia to have the police think you may have committed a crime.

That's not really accurate. More accurate would be to say that it's illegal to fake a crime. It's not illegal to be a suspect, for example. I'm not an expert on Australian law, but I could see this happening locally, and there being a charge of obstruction of justice, disturbing the peace, etc etc.
"Wasting Police Time"
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Choboman

Postby Choboman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:Republican NC lawmaker: Women should 'duct tape' nipples to stay out of jail

Spoiler:
The state House Judiciary Committee C approved House Bill 34, which makes it a Class H felony to purposefully expose "private parts" for the "purpose of arousing or gratifying sexual desire."

The bill expands the state's definition of "private parts" to include a woman's "nipple, or any portion of the areola."

Democratic state Rep. Annie Mobley said she worried that women wearing "questionable fashions” could be prosecuted under the new rules.

But Committee Chairwoman Rep. Sarah Steven (R) suggested that women could use pasties or nipple coverings just to be safe.

“They’d be good to go” with nipple coverings, Stevens said.

"You know what they say, duct tape fixes everything," Republican state Rep. Tim Moore agreed.

Republican state Rep. Rayne Brown told lawmakers that she was co-sponsoring the bill because activists had held a topless women's rights rally in Asheville last summer, where as many as a dozen women bared their breasts (NSFW video here).

Although Brown's district is 100 miles from Asheville, she felt it was important to act before women tried to assert their rights again by going topless at another rally.

Funny, the sexist/chauvanist part of me thinks that showing boob would be the first (and possibly only?) right that men would rush to grant women.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

The reality of public nudity is that it's virtually always someone who wants to be seen naked, not necessarily someone you want to see naked.

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:The reality of public nudity is that it's virtually always someone who wants to be seen naked, not necessarily someone you want to see naked.

I'm reminded of a quote from Thud! (Minus comical vampire accent.)
"That's freedom for you. No one said it was nice."
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Lies, poutine is American, not Canadian! It's fries with cheese and gravy; you can't more American than that. I HEREBY ANNEX ALL POUTINE IN THE GLORIOUS NAMES OF COLUMBIA, BROTHER JONATHAN, AND UNCLE SAM, PATRON GUARDIANS OF AMERICA!

Also, we are taking basketball. You can keep hockey and Canadian football.

Except Basketball is invented by James Naismith , who's a Canadian. :(

http://inventors.about.com/library/inve ... etball.htm

You can take freedom fries thou.

P.S. On second thought... We should let you guys have poutine... seeing we can't even have the word 'pasta' in quebec's menu anymore

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/2 ... 33933.html

Buonanotte restaurant, located in French-speaking Quebec, Canada, recently came under fire for using the words "pasta" and "calamari" on its menu, reports CBC. The reason? The words aren't paired with French translations on the menu, and that's a problem for Quebec's office of French language (OQLF).

CBC reported that the restaurant's owner, Massimo Lecas, was told by authorities that Italian words such as "bottiglia," "pasta" and "antipasto" should all have a French translation on the menu. He also claimed that he was told to translate the Italian words for meatball and calamari into French.

Surprisingly, the word 'Pizza" was spared...

In other news:
Lost continent found off coast of Madagascar lost to the Ocean depths 85 million years ago

The land mass would have been part of the supercontinent of Rodinia, which existed between two billion and 85 million years ago. It did not exist as part of the later, better known, Pangea supercontinent.

It isn’t a sure thing that the continent exists, however. Geologist Jérôme Dyment, told National Geographic that he was unconvinced with the evidence.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:24 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:The reality of public nudity is that it's virtually always someone who wants to be seen naked, not necessarily someone you want to see naked.

Your point is so true.
Naked people are like Art. Some people like that sort of thing, others don't.

Spoiler:
A friend had a nude photo. Three of us looked at it. Two of us did not like it. Our dislike was for very different reasons.
The face was blurred. The photo was the product of an Art class. Many of those photos were showing up all over town.

The blurred face made it look like work to me. It looked dead.
M said it reminded him of his indiscreet youth.
E liked it. I placed it in his private space.
He was happy.

I got involved in a nude protest. I was much less comfortable than a pig on roller skates.
Yes. It is a stupid thing to do. But; Law school takes so much time.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:

You're invading by giving us delicious tribute?

...proceed.

They built a Tim Horton's about half a mile from my house.

It's not as good as the one in St. Johns (NB), but still pretty good. TImbits FTW!
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:29 am UTC

DR6 wrote:
Spoiler:
Wait... Isn't making it a crime to fake a crime like saying "This sentence is false"? If you do it it's a crime but if it's a crime you didn't fake a crime you actually did a crime...

No, it's not self-referential: the word "crime" just takes two different meanings, so it's just very confusing. (My mind is jumping to haskell's typeclasses' type inference, so forgive me if I express myself too complicatedly). I'll try to explain:
In the sentence "faking a crime is a crime" there are two uses of the word "crime": the inner(the first) and the outer(the second). If we had the set of all crimes, this sentence says that faking any element of that set("faking a crime", inner use) is also an element of that set("is a crime", outer use). If "F x" means faking x, this means that the set of all crimes is something like {c1,c2,c3,c4...cn,F c1, F c2, F c3... F cn}: we wouldn't run into self-reference unless we tried to do F F x, of F F F x, or something like that, but it wouldn't be contradictory either.

In other words, the crime you are faking is not "faking a crime", but a different one. (I use the quotes as one would use parentheses in programming).

... I need less haskell.

Now, myself, I would have said it just needed to be translated it to: "It is a crime to commit an act when that act is intended to have the appearance of being a crime."

...wait...
In all fairness...

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

"It's a criminal offense to fake a criminal offense"?

I think it goes by the 'reasonable person' quasi-rule in law. For example, if your 'impromptu self defense training' would make a reasonable person believe they are in danger of losing life or limb, if they killed you it'd be self defense. So if a reasonable person thought you were committing a crime, you are, even if it's not the crime they think you are committing.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:Now, myself, I would have said it just needed to be translated it to: "It is a crime to commit an act when that act is intended to have the appearance of being a crime."

...wait...

Confused? don't worry. Telepathy closer to becoming reality after rats’ brains ‘linked’ across continents

Using electrodes implanted in the brains of two rats, one rodent was able to pass information to another in a cage thousands of miles away – albeit without knowing it was doing so. The experiment, by researchers from Duke University in North Carolina, is the first direct communication link between two minds.

Previous studies had shown that visual and tactile information could be transferred between a brain and a computer, for example allowing amputees to control prosthetic limbs, but the latest research represents a significant advance.

Although the connection was extremely basic, it raises the prospect of more complex devices that could one day allow people to read each other’s minds.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

But does the information have to be real, or could pre-recorded senses be, umm, experienced by others?

Coming soon to a sensotheatre near you, Sexcat Dungeons 7?

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:But does the information have to be real, or could pre-recorded senses be, umm, experienced by others?

Or the beginning of this:

Spoiler:

Bow to the Matrix Overmind!!!

kiklion

Postby kiklion » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:But does the information have to be real, or could pre-recorded senses be, umm, experienced by others?

Or the beginning of this:

Spoiler:

Bow to the Matrix Overmind!!!

I wonder more if we can get people to feel things they can't feel.

If we can record experiences and play them out for another, how would a male describe the feeling of giving birth? That may be a bad example as the 'pain' may overwhelm the ability to identify the location of the senses. What about a female describing the experience of a male orgasm?

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

And if they can be recorded can they be fabricated?
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

My main thing about any kind of direct neural interface as a gateway to mind-reading/telepathy is...well, it seems like it'll be a lot harder than we give it credit for. Certainly you could output the electrical impulses, but decoding those and resolving them into actual *thoughts* seems like it'd require a very precise mapping of the individual brain in question, knowledge of what neural pathways correspond to what thoughts/memories, etc.; this would both require extensive calibration to that specific mind, and become worthless relatively quickly given the high plasticity of the brain.

That said, plasticity of the brain is hugely helpful for other things, like the aforementioned control of prosthetics through a direct interface, so perhaps with proper "training data" one could learn to use such kind of tech more easily than I'm giving it credit for - more like the user learning a separate language ("how to communicate through the link") than a universal translator in the software itself decoding their thoughts. That'd be nice if so, as it seems like it'd make it harder to abuse the tech against a subject's will/invasively.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:That said, plasticity of the brain is hugely helpful for other things, like the aforementioned control of prosthetics through a direct interface, so perhaps with proper "training data" one could learn to use such kind of tech more easily than I'm giving it credit for - more like the user learning a separate language ("how to communicate through the link") than a universal translator in the software itself decoding their thoughts. That'd be nice if so, as it seems like it'd make it harder to abuse the tech against a subject's will/invasively.

The Neal Stephenson/J. Frederick George novel Interface is about this. They used the mind-link thing to communicate by triggering specific memories. A memory of almost getting shot in Vietnam meant "you're under attack", for example.
Spoiler:
This turned out to be pretty easy to abuse for the purposes of mind-slavery, for no adequately explained reason.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:34 am UTC

I am unable to tell if he is mocking them or agreeing with them. Is this Poe's Law in action?

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:33 am UTC

Dog grows an arm and throws bricks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUv_HaaOUfo

In this case the dog in question is Boston Dynamics' Big Dog. Watching the video is like some kind of reverse uncanny valley in which the robot doesn't look remotely like an animal, but it moves like one ... with an arm where its head should be.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:57 am UTC

And we're that much closer to Half Life 2.

3rdtry

Postby 3rdtry » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

Berlin's New Airport Can't Switch Lights Off.
Exactly what it says on the tin: they can't find the "off" button.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:17 am UTC

3rdtry wrote:Berlin's New Airport Can't Switch Lights Off.
Exactly what it says on the tin: they can't find the "off" button.

That is funny. People!
Loads of things can go terribly wrong and it is noticed, but, ignored.

Then one day you forget to install the light switch; Then, All Hell Breaks Loose.

That is going to be One Large light switch. Turning the lights on and off requires a fork lift?
Who designed this thing?
Who is the project manager?

The world is watching. Turn off! The Lights!
And; Be careful what you wish for.

Funny. I think it is so funny.
It is cold and gray, there?
Not at the Airport.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:28 am UTC

Reminds me of some new construction at a university I attended a while back. They had just finished a shiny new Nursing building with whizbang features like lights that turn themselves off when no one is around.

They used motion sensors to control the lighting. *Only* motion sensors.

It was impossible to show films, despite the fancy electric-rolldown screens, because they couldn't shut the lights off. The lights would instead go off during exams, when everyone was sitting still and working on the test. (Writing wasn't enough movement to trigger the lights.)

I think they did install override keys at some point. At much greater expense than if they'd built in switches to begin with, naturally.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:36 am UTC

When the robots come to destroy humanity, it won't be because of an out of control, genocidal superAI like Skynet, it will happen simply because an engineer forgot to add a manual off switch.

BattleMoose

Postby BattleMoose » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:58 am UTC

poxic wrote:Reminds me of some new construction at a university I attended a while back. They had just finished a shiny new Nursing building with whizbang features like lights that turn themselves off when no one is around.

They used motion sensors to control the lighting. *Only* motion sensors.

I can imagine the tender now, naturally asking for motion sensors for all the good reasons and not specifying for manual control simply as a hindsight.

Some company wins the tender.

Some clever engineer realises that manual switches weren't specified for. The company will save money by not installing them and are under no legal obligation to install them so they don't get installed.

All the really stupid construction industry related nonsense that gets built out there is usually always an outcome of the actual company doing the construction, fulfilling its obligations and maximising its profit.

Another story.
Company gets contracted to install a lcd monitor, gets given precise location for installation. So it gets installed there, no questions asked.
http://mkontras.files.wordpress.com/200 ... =450&h=299

The person who did the specifying most likely didn't bother to check or the location of the cameras weren't displayed on the drawings he was marking the location on.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

This is just completely asinine:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/marijuan ... -marijuana

The criminal justice system is not about justice, and only about convictions. It doesn't matter if you actually committed a crime, we'll find something to get you. So you illegally smoked pot? Well then you get a DUI! Didn't drive under the influence? Fuck you, you're still guilty!
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:13 pm UTC

emceng wrote:This is just completely asinine:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/marijuan ... -marijuana

The criminal justice system is not about justice, and only about convictions. It doesn't matter if you actually committed a crime, we'll find something to get you. So you illegally smoked pot? Well then you get a DUI! Didn't drive under the influence? Fuck you, you're still guilty!

I don't even see how the court decision requires the substance to have been taken illegally. Why doesn't this apply to medical marijuana as well?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:I don't even see how the court decision requires the substance to have been taken illegally. Why doesn't this apply to medical marijuana as well?

Because of this:
Denver Post wrote:Walz said the decision runs counter to the Legislature's wishes, and that the state's medical marijuana law gives cardholders immunity from DUI convictions based solely on the presence of metabolites in a person's system that don't appear to be enough to cause impairment.
You're still guilty if you smoked legally in Colorado, though.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:
Роберт wrote:I don't even see how the court decision requires the substance to have been taken illegally. Why doesn't this apply to medical marijuana as well?

Because of this:
Denver Post wrote:Walz said the decision runs counter to the Legislature's wishes, and that the state's medical marijuana law gives cardholders immunity from DUI convictions based solely on the presence of metabolites in a person's system that don't appear to be enough to cause impairment.
You're still guilty if you smoked legally in Colorado, though.

Thanks. I see. That still seems bogus. If I'm legally using prescription painkillers in the state of Arizona that impair driving, I shouldn't drive. If I'm illegally using painkillers in the state of Arizona that impair driving, I shouldn't drive.

If it's considered "driving under the influence" one way, it should be considered "driving under the influence" the other way.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Return to “News & Articles”