In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby mike-l » Wed May 01, 2013 12:21 am UTC

Ok, I'll grant that the ability to resell does increase the value, however I would be surprised if in aggregate it made any measurable difference. However there is no added value from lending that isn't also added from piracy. There's no economic value to lending, there might be social value, but this is equally achieved by piracy.

In any case, you've just made an excellent argument against the DMCA and DRM, that such things take away value from these items.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Zarq
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm UTC
Location: Third Rock from Earth's Yellow Sun

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Zarq » Wed May 01, 2013 12:50 am UTC

First of all, when talking about second-hand games there is also a deterioration of the product. The disc will have some scratches, the booklet (remember those?) will be a bit bent, ... It's less severe than the equivalent car deterioration, but it's still deteriorated.

Secondly, there IS a difference between used copies and piracy. You're just looking at it the wrong way. You're thinking "every used sale is just as much a loss of money as a pirated copy". This is true. But the amount of used sales is limited. If there were a hundred legitimate copies, and every buyer uses the product for a day, then there can only be 36500 used sales in a year. There is no such limit for piracy. There can be one legitimate copy, and every user uses it for a millennium, and there is still a possibility of infinite pirated copies in a year.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed May 01, 2013 12:55 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Princess Marzipan wrote:[...][...]BOTH of these situations are VASTLY different from selling content for ten months and then deciding the content is free. The latter situation is very difficult for me to see as anything other than milking an existing fanbase before folding new work into the product to make it more appealing to newer customers.

Would they still be different if the price is moved to one cent instead of zero cents? I see it as pretty much the same thing: people can pay full price for the advantage of playing X right now, or reduced cost if they don't mind waiting a year.
The span of time between Portal being $50 and $5 has been years. The span of time for the anecdotal DLC going from $10 to $0 was eight months.

Allow to restate in order to clarify. If I purchase $10 in content, I expect that what I am paying for is $10 worth of content. If I bought that content on release day and less than a year later the company is just passin' it out at my local record store to anybody, then it turns out I didn't buy content. I bought *early access* to content.
Price changes are to be expected. Drastic and/or early price changes are not expected. It's a fuzzy line, but the DLC I'm railing against here has clearly crossed it.

Xeio wrote:I don't understand what you're saying though. It's not like F2P implies you must pay for the microtransactions. If a subscription based game goes F2P I'm probably not going to keep putting in $15 a month on microtransactions just because. Weren't you just effectively paying for time-based exclusivity then? How is the argument different?
You don't want to spend $15 on microtransactions just because... Well, that's fine. Don't. My point is that switching models from subscription to microtransaction does not cross the fuzzy line I referenced in response to Magnanimous. Before the switch, you spent $15 a month to play the game - after, you can spend $0 a month to play the game or $15 a month to play the game AND get the fruits of your micropurchases. And that's notwithstanding that subscription models are quite clearly different from purchase models; when you pay $15 to play a game for a month, you are spending $15 to play the game for that month, and you *knew* that when you paid for it.

Xeio wrote:TF2 is a better matching example then? Used to be paid, became totally free to widen user base (and, of course, lure more users into spending on microtransactions)?
It's ... not quite better. The game was years and years old at the point of that changeover. There ARE members of the playerbase with a legitimate complaint, I believe; anyone who spent money a couple of weeks before the game went free got shafted. Sure, they got whatever hat players who bought the game received, but I doubt they intentionally spent money merely for that. But most of the playerbase would have bought the game years before. The DLC I've been railing against saw 100% of its userbase suddenly discover they'd spent $10 not on content, but on at most eight whopping months of early access to content.

Zarq wrote:There is no such limit for piracy.
It's around 7 billion or so. :3
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3478
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Magnanimous » Wed May 01, 2013 2:46 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:The span of time between Portal being $50 and $5 has been years. The span of time for the anecdotal DLC going from $10 to $0 was eight months.

Allow to restate in order to clarify. If I purchase $10 in content, I expect that what I am paying for is $10 worth of content. If I bought that content on release day and less than a year later the company is just passin' it out at my local record store to anybody, then it turns out I didn't buy content. I bought *early access* to content.
Price changes are to be expected. Drastic and/or early price changes are not expected. It's a fuzzy line, but the DLC I'm railing against here has clearly crossed it.

Okay, now I understand you better. It would be nice for companies to announce markdown dates as well as release dates. (Although the best time to reduce price is hard to predict. But still.)

vvn
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:34 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby vvn » Wed May 01, 2013 2:57 am UTC

folkhero wrote:And the person comparing games to cars: Which do you think is going to keep more of it's value, a typical 12-year-old car or a typical 12-year-old video game?

The car will be worth more. My car is 15 years old, and still does well. I regularly get compliments. A 15 year old video game..... Video game still works as well as it did when new, but is much further behind what is currently available.

Princess Marzipan wrote:]The span of time between Portal being $50 and $5 has been years. The span of time for the anecdotal DLC going from $10 to $0 was eight months.

"Oblivion" is $17 in the theater today. In 3-6 months it will be in the cheap theater down the road for $3.

Many stores offer 30 or 60 day price guarantees. Beyond that, it's an issue for company PR, not congress.

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed May 01, 2013 3:18 am UTC

No one mentioned Congress, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

User avatar
Coyne
Posts: 917
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:07 am UTC
Location: Orlando, Florida
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Coyne » Wed May 01, 2013 3:20 am UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Remember, the Conservatives are still trying to clean up the mess of the country that Pierre Trudeau made of it. We'll need at least another decade of Conservative majorities before anything becomes their fault :wink:

Your conservatives are doing something wrong. Here in the good ol' US of A, nothing is ever a conservative's fault (humor, sort of).
In all fairness...

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby mike-l » Wed May 01, 2013 3:27 am UTC

Coyne wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:Remember, the Conservatives are still trying to clean up the mess of the country that Pierre Trudeau made of it. We'll need at least another decade of Conservative majorities before anything becomes their fault :wink:

Your conservatives are doing something wrong. Here in the good ol' US of A, nothing is ever a conservative's fault (humor, sort of).

That's exactly what LaserGuy is getting at. Pierre Trudeau was a liberal.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 5497
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Thesh » Wed May 01, 2013 4:19 am UTC

You know, I don't even blame the 2008/2009 recession on Bush. I blame it on every elected official who sat and watched as health care costs skyrocketed, keeping wages from going up, as people found it harder and harder to keep up with their mortgage payments since housing prices skyrocketed and wages remained stagnant. It was in the making for over 30 years, and no one cared until it happened.

Well, I guess I don't blame it on Bush alone.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby mike-l » Wed May 01, 2013 4:35 am UTC

The crash was caused at least in part by the repeal of Glass-Steagall, which Clinton did.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Coyne
Posts: 917
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:07 am UTC
Location: Orlando, Florida
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Coyne » Wed May 01, 2013 4:38 am UTC

mike-l wrote:
Coyne wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:Remember, the Conservatives are still trying to clean up the mess of the country that Pierre Trudeau made of it. We'll need at least another decade of Conservative majorities before anything becomes their fault :wink:

Your conservatives are doing something wrong. Here in the good ol' US of A, nothing is ever a conservative's fault (humor, sort of).

That's exactly what LaserGuy is getting at. Pierre Trudeau was a liberal.


Well, I was trying to be funny, but it's not what he said. He said it'd be "at least another decade" before something became the conservatives' fault, in Canada; whereas, here in the US, it seems much more likely it will be the liberals' fault forever and eternally. Given that the conservatives here apparently spend more on spin doctors than most state budgets.

The Bush timeline I referenced in the URL originates in real statements made by conservatives. While it is a time-honored tradition for a president to blame the [current bad economy] on the prior president, with Bush-to-Obama, we see the first example in history of the opposite: Obama being blamed for a recession that started 13 months before the end of Bush's term of office. That is a truly mind-boggling spin accomplishment, to blame a president for starting a recession before he was in office. And to not only do that, but then reverse it, saying that Bush should get all the credit for the capture of Osama bin Laden, which happened 28 months after Bush left office...

...well, just what can you say?
In all fairness...

User avatar
ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?
Posts: 1631
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am UTC
Location: Beacon Alpha

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby ConMan » Wed May 01, 2013 4:42 am UTC

While we seem to have moved away from it, just in case anyone wants to get back discussing piracy/used games/DRM/etc, I think this thread is a much more appropriate place to do so.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby mike-l » Wed May 01, 2013 4:53 am UTC

Coyne wrote:
mike-l wrote:
Coyne wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:Remember, the Conservatives are still trying to clean up the mess of the country that Pierre Trudeau made of it. We'll need at least another decade of Conservative majorities before anything becomes their fault :wink:

Your conservatives are doing something wrong. Here in the good ol' US of A, nothing is ever a conservative's fault (humor, sort of).

That's exactly what LaserGuy is getting at. Pierre Trudeau was a liberal.


Well, I was trying to be funny, but it's not what he said. He said it'd be "at least another decade" before something became the conservatives' fault, in Canada; whereas, here in the US, it seems much more likely it will be the liberals' fault forever and eternally.

Fair. We tend to keep one party in power longer than you guys do though. Since the war you've only had one instance where a party was in power more than 2 terms (Reagan Reagan Bush) We had liberals for 21 years (with a brief 9 month exception), then conservatives for almost a decade, then 13 years back with the liberals. And there's no such thing as a hostile congress up here (our head of state is the head of the biggest party in parliament, and our senate is mostly for show), the closest we get is a minority government. It's a bit harder to spin 'it's the other guys fault' when you've had absolute control for 2 decades.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Iulus Cofield
WINNING
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Iulus Cofield » Wed May 01, 2013 5:26 am UTC

Conservatives less likely to choose energy efficient lightbulbs if labeled "Protect the Environment".

Because lower power bills are less important than not protecting the environment.

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 5497
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Thesh » Wed May 01, 2013 5:36 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:Conservatives less likely to choose energy efficient lightbulbs if labeled "Protect the Environment".

Because lower power bills are less important than not protecting the environment.


Conservatives have been taught to hate liberals. It's not that they don't want to help the environment, it is that they see liberals as an evil destroyer of a place they call "America," which is a fictional version of a country with a similar name. To be environmentally friendly is to associate with liberals, which is one step away from destroying something that they hold dear, even if it never existed.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

Fire Brns
Posts: 1114
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Fire Brns » Wed May 01, 2013 5:39 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:Conservatives less likely to choose energy efficient lightbulbs if labeled "Protect the Environment".

Because lower power bills are less important than not protecting the environment.

Well when it has a label like that it's just gimmicky. Like advertising "hypoallergenic" to people who don't have allergies because it's healthier for "the children".

And the claim is in many instances very hard to both prove or falsify. Like the light bulb for example: it only makes up for their increased cost over a long period of time. It is also filled with poisonous gas so that if you break one it is dangerous to your/family/pet's health and undoes any environment saving it would have done. Plus production and disposal is significantly more energy intensive.

LED fixtures are way better energy wise, lifespan wise, and can even be repaired/recycled.

In any case it's probably politically fueled skepticism rather than spite.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5649
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Diadem » Wed May 01, 2013 9:37 am UTC

Fire Brns wrote:
Iulus Cofield wrote:Conservatives less likely to choose energy efficient lightbulbs if labeled "Protect the Environment".

Because lower power bills are less important than not protecting the environment.

Well when it has a label like that it's just gimmicky. Like advertising "hypoallergenic" to people who don't have allergies because it's healthier for "the children".

Exactly. I'd be much less likely to buy a breakfast cereal marketed as asbestos free, but that doesn't mean I want asbestos in my breakfast!
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Tirian
Posts: 1891
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Tirian » Wed May 01, 2013 11:43 am UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:Conservatives less likely to choose energy efficient lightbulbs if labeled "Protect the Environment".

Because lower power bills are less important than not protecting the environment.


I wish that the light bulb companies would do it anyways. If someone wants to pay higher energy bills just to fly their Nobama flag with smug pride, I'm inclined to support that freedom. It would hardly be the only or even largest example of the financial penalties we pay for not voting our economic self-interest, but at least the harm would fall exclusively on the mouth-breathers.

kiklion
Posts: 511
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:02 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby kiklion » Wed May 01, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:Conservatives less likely to choose energy efficient lightbulbs if labeled "Protect the Environment".

Because lower power bills are less important than not protecting the environment.


You could also take away from this that people assume a hidden cost for every net benefit. Even if they are told the hidden cost doesn't exist.

If there are two nearly identical products, and one is marked 'Good for the Environment!' then you would assume the other is better in some other way. If two goods are identical in every way except for one universal good way, why would anyone produce the inferior product? Maybe if it was cheaper it would be produced, but if everything was the same why produce it? So everything must not be the same. Now you are weighing 'Good for the Environment' vs 'Unknown benefit' and if you don't value the environment much, the unknown may very well be better.

User avatar
philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:58 pm UTC
Location: Texas

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby philsov » Wed May 01, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:Conservatives less likely to choose energy efficient lightbulbs if labeled "Protect the Environment".

Because lower power bills are less important than not protecting the environment.


Articles that don't link to source journals make me cry :(
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

User avatar
yurell
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 am UTC
Location: Australia!

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby yurell » Wed May 01, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

Yeah, that really annoys the shit out of me. How hard could it possibly be to cite your sources?
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?


Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Роберт » Wed May 01, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

yurell wrote:Yeah, that really annoys the shit out of me. How hard could it possibly be to cite your sources?

Pretty hard. Not even Einstein could do it.
According to Einstein's famous On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies, which contains his theories on relativity, Poincaré, despite publishing 30 books and over 500 papers, is not worth mentioning. It's true, pick up Einstein's paper if you don't believe us, (you won't): Poincaré doesn't receive a single reference, unless you consider plagiarism to be some kind of indirect reference. As a matter of fact, Einstein does not reference, footnote or cite a single goddamn source in his entire paper.

From http://www.cracked.com/article_16072_5- ... -idea.html
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11262
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed May 01, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

Well, of course. As my roomate explained to me, Einstein was a cousin-fucking violin player with bad grades who worked 16 hour days 6 days a week and was clearly a front for his wife's publication of the Theory of Relativity.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5489
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed May 01, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22364761

IBM releases video called "A boy and his atom". Where... the atom is the size of an atom. (A carbon atom, specifically)

The video was created using a scanning tunneling microscope, and is a proof of concept to show IBM's ability to manipulate and see single atoms. IBM hopes to use this technology to store data more efficiently.

"The tip of the needle is both our eyes and our hands: it senses the atoms to make images of where the atoms are, and then it is moved closer to the atoms to tug them along the surface to new positions," explained Andreas Heinrich, principal investigator at IBM Research in California, US.

"The atoms hold still at their new positions because they form chemical bonds to the copper atoms in the surface underneath, and that lets us take an image of the whole arrangement of atoms in each frame of the film.
Last edited by KnightExemplar on Wed May 01, 2013 2:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 8750
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby CorruptUser » Wed May 01, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

If something is energy efficient or durable, that would be its selling point. Not some greenwash about unverifiable claims. It's far more environmentally friendly to buy 1 fluorescent bulb than 10 incandescent, even before the electricity usage is factored in. It's far and away better to buy a Toyota car that lasts 10 years (mine is in its 11th with nearly 200k miles) than a Chrysler car that will barely last 5, even if the new one is 2 mpg better.


Fair trade is also a huge offender. If the fair trade coffee is $5 more expensive than regular coffee, guess how much actually makes it back to the farmer. Better to buy the cheap coffee and give the $5 to a reputable charity instead. Don't line some asshole's wallet.

User avatar
Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount
Posts: 3035
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 11:55 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Qaanol » Wed May 01, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22364761

IBM releases video called "A boy and his atom". Where... the atom is the size of an atom. (A carbon atom, specifically)

The video was created using a scanning tunneling microscope, and is a proof of concept to show IBM's ability to manipulate and see single atoms. IBM hopes to use this technology to store data more efficiently.

"The tip of the needle is both our eyes and our hands: it senses the atoms to make images of where the atoms are, and then it is moved closer to the atoms to tug them along the surface to new positions," explained Andreas Heinrich, principal investigator at IBM Research in California, US.

"The atoms hold still at their new positions because they form chemical bonds to the copper atoms in the surface underneath, and that lets us take an image of the whole arrangement of atoms in each frame of the film.


Carbon Monoxide Man has been one of my favorite superheroes for several years now.
wee free kings

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Роберт » Wed May 01, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:If something is energy efficient or durable, that would be its selling point. Not some greenwash about unverifiable claims. It's far more environmentally friendly to buy 1 fluorescent bulb than 10 incandescent, even before the electricity usage is factored in. It's far and away better to buy a Toyota car that lasts 10 years (mine is in its 11th with nearly 200k miles) than a Chrysler car that will barely last 5, even if the new one is 2 mpg better.


Fair trade is also a huge offender. If the fair trade coffee is $5 more expensive than regular coffee, guess how much actually makes it back to the farmer. Better to buy the cheap coffee and give the $5 to a reputable charity instead. Don't line some asshole's wallet.

What if the fluorescent bulb has a bunch of mercury in it?


Also, what is wrong with you?
"Just use slave labor than donate money to a charity?" What kind of screwed up moral system are you running?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 8750
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby CorruptUser » Wed May 01, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

Then that bulb is not a better option.

As for slave labor, that's cocoa and Chiquita bananas. Just because it isn't fair trade doesn't mean it's slave labor. When I do find out about things like slave labor I move to avoid those products if possible. I don't buy Chiquita bananas as a result, which is a pain because that's the only supplier in my store and I really like bananas. But I can live without bananas, and if really desperate I can go to another store.

The reason it's better to give the $5 to a reputable charity rather than to fair trade coffee is that more of the money actually reaches the people at the bottom.. Do really believe for 5 seconds that when a company charges more for environmental or ethical causes even half of the extra price goes to said causes?

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Роберт » Wed May 01, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Then that bulb is not a better option.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fl ... tal_impact
wikipedia wrote:CFLs, like all fluorescent lamps, contain mercury as vapor inside the glass tubing. Most CFLs contain 3–5 mg per bulb, with the bulbs labeled "eco-friendly" containing as little as 1 mg

CorruptUser wrote:If something is energy efficient or durable, that would be its selling point. Not some greenwash about unverifiable claims. It's far more environmentally friendly to buy 1 fluorescent bulb than 10 incandescent, even before the electricity usage is factored in. It's far and away better to buy a Toyota car that lasts 10 years (mine is in its 11th with nearly 200k miles) than a Chrysler car that will barely last 5, even if the new one is 2 mpg better.

Right. The selling point of the "eco-freindly" ones are not that they are more energy efficient or durable. But the claims about mercury contents are verifiable. So I'm not really understanding your point, here.

As for the criticism of fair trade. Yes, there's issues with "fair trade", especially "Fairtrade". But the point of the idea behind is that unfair business practices are bad and shouldn't be supported. In industries rampant with bad practices, this is an attempt to address that. It doesn't have to do with giving people handouts. Does it work? I'm not sure, I haven't researched it enough. It looks like it gets a lot of criticism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_trade_debate
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
eSOANEM
:D
Posts: 3597
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby eSOANEM » Wed May 01, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
yurell wrote:Yeah, that really annoys the shit out of me. How hard could it possibly be to cite your sources?

Pretty hard. Not even Einstein could do it.
According to Einstein's famous On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies, which contains his theories on relativity, Poincaré, despite publishing 30 books and over 500 papers, is not worth mentioning. It's true, pick up Einstein's paper if you don't believe us, (you won't): Poincaré doesn't receive a single reference, unless you consider plagiarism to be some kind of indirect reference. As a matter of fact, Einstein does not reference, footnote or cite a single goddamn source in his entire paper.

From http://www.cracked.com/article_16072_5- ... -idea.html


Except that Einstein didn't steal SR.

True it's equivalent to LET (which was finished by Poincaré albeit after SR was publihed) however SR was derived in a self-contained manner from its postulates. No citations are needed because it's entirely self-contained.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 8750
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby CorruptUser » Wed May 01, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

Then sell me the bulb as 'low mercury' and verifiably safer than as 'ecofriendly'. I'm too jaded to assume that anything the package has on it is anything other than something to get me to buy the product (unless required by law).

The whole thing about fair trade just makes me sick, because of the companies that will lie to my face and make themselves rich while preying on people's inner goodness. It's just so, ugh, the best description I can have for such people would be AM's "HATE" speech. Even with a lifetime spent writing down my hatred of those people could not begin to describe my utter disgust with anyone that would harm the good Samaritan. Because when you abuse someone's kindness, you risk destroying that person's kindness.

Don't tell me you enhanced my brandy via kidney filtration (and then have the nerve to charge me more). This needs some wordsmithing.

Aside from diverting funds from where it will actually do some good in this world, people end up ignoring the actual cases where someone really does need help. How many real initiatives that I actually would support have I ignored because of all the previous initiatives where I found out I was swindled? How many people don't help that poor guy who really does need bus money to get across town to his pregnant wife? How many people ignored the homeless guy bleeding in the street because he may be faking it in order to mug someone? If you saw Clockwork Orange, imagine if someone's car really did crash; think that guy in his house will ever let a stranger use his phone again?

If the company actually did give an extra $1 to the farmers, hell yes I'd be willing to pay $1 more. Paying workers enoug that they aren't at risk of starving to death, and maybe, just maybe, be able to afford textbooks for their kids so that their kids could possibly one day invent something that benefits everyone else on Earth, hell yes that is a very good cause IMHO. But if they are giving only 10 cents of $5 extra, fuck you, I'm not paying more just so you have a bigger profit margin.

Fire Brns
Posts: 1114
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Fire Brns » Wed May 01, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Then that bulb is not a better option.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fl ... tal_impact
wikipedia wrote:CFLs, like all fluorescent lamps, contain mercury as vapor inside the glass tubing. Most CFLs contain 3–5 mg per bulb, with the bulbs labeled "eco-friendly" containing as little as 1 mg

But what happened in the test was they took a regular CFL lamp and just labeled it eco-friendly. A company is willing to make that claim as well with a regular CFL bulb even if it only used a watt less than a incandescent bulb in a 24 hour period because they technically aren't lying and want a competitive edge in marketing.

There were a lot of eco-upstarts in recent years and a bunch of them were equatable to holistic medicine in effect but their marketing strategy was "think of the pandas!" The result was that people bought with their hearts and suffered for it.
It's still terribly sad that with minor in the moment purchases where you can't research you are stuck with resorting to emotion to chose between two similar items and in general people are becoming disenchanted so as to buy the cheapest option rather than become the victims of snake oil salesmen.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Роберт » Wed May 01, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:It's still terribly sad that with minor in the moment purchases where you can't research you are stuck with resorting to emotion to chose between two similar items and in general people are becoming disenchanted so as to buy the cheapest option rather than become the victims of snake oil salesmen.

True enough, it would be nice if stores vetted their products and you could pick a store you trust and buy from it.

@CorruptUser: Okay, I understand where you're coming from now and mostly agree.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Heisenberg
Posts: 3789
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 pm UTC
Location: Uncertain

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Heisenberg » Wed May 01, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:True enough, it would be nice if stores vetted their products and you could pick a store you trust and buy from it.

You mean like Earth Fare, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's... ?

Fire Brns
Posts: 1114
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Fire Brns » Wed May 01, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:
Роберт wrote:True enough, it would be nice if stores vetted their products and you could pick a store you trust and buy from it.

You mean like Earth Fare, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's... ?

It would be wonderful if those were within a reasonable distance from a majority of households. The gas use alone would make shopping there worse for the environment and then the cost to shop at those locations is out of most middle class household budgets anyway.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Роберт » Wed May 01, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:
Роберт wrote:True enough, it would be nice if stores vetted their products and you could pick a store you trust and buy from it.

You mean like Earth Fare, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's... ?

Except I'm not really confident I trust any store within reasonable shopping distance, but sure.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3478
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Magnanimous » Wed May 01, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

We already get a nutrition facts label, so it would be interesting to try a supplier facts label... Where everything came from, how much workers were paid, etc. (Warning: This product was manufactured using child labor.) Or maybe just a breakdown of where your money is going: companies publish where their income ends up, and stores add their profit margin to the pie chart. It's not really something people think about, but when you're giving a company money you're economically endorsing everything they do.

User avatar
folkhero
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby folkhero » Wed May 01, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote:
Роберт wrote:True enough, it would be nice if stores vetted their products and you could pick a store you trust and buy from it.

You mean like Earth Fare, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's... ?

Whole Foods sell homeopathic remedies. I would trust a Whole Foods store any further than I could throw it. I don't have super-human strength, so that's exactly zero.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11262
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed May 01, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

folkhero wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
Роберт wrote:True enough, it would be nice if stores vetted their products and you could pick a store you trust and buy from it.

You mean like Earth Fare, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's... ?

Whole Foods sell homeopathic remedies. I would trust a Whole Foods store any further than I could throw it. I don't have super-human strength, so that's exactly zero.

Are you saying my amethyst-moonlight-water muscle elixir is phony?!

User avatar
folkhero
Posts: 1775
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:34 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby folkhero » Wed May 01, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

I don't know. Did you get it from a Whole Foods or a guy who travels from town to town selling snake oils and and panacea tonics along with the elixirs? Because I could at least potentially throw one of those guys a short distance, making them much more trustworthy.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The Great Hippo and 25 guests