In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 6598
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Thesh » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:42 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Red Sox won the World Series!


USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:14 am UTC

America won the World Series? Cripes, that's like 80 times in a row!

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10331
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby addams » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:24 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:America won the World Series? Cripes, that's like 80 times in a row!

Hey! The Americans always win that. Don't they?
They don't let anyone else play.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 6598
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Thesh » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:33 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:America won the World Series? Cripes, that's like 80 times in a row!

Canada won in 1992 and 1993.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5941
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Angua » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:12 am UTC

Internet forums can be good for people!

Not that this is news to anyone on our part of the internet.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster
Posts: 1366
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:01 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby bentheimmigrant » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:52 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Red Sox won the World Series!


I take it we're not a very sports-oriented peoples and I'm not a sports oriented person, but I'm a Bostonian (and Randall is from the area) so...

Warranted. World Series!


That's all.

I think the World Series counts as news when the Cubs win it.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:America won the World Series? Cripes, that's like 80 times in a row!
Canada won in 1992 and 1993.

I remembered that as I was typing it, and I remember watching it with my family since we're Canadian and that was the only time we really got into baseball, but... eh. Joke flub. I accept my paddling.

User avatar
Wnderer
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Wnderer » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

addams wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:America won the World Series? Cripes, that's like 80 times in a row!

Hey! The Americans always win that. Don't they?
They don't let anyone else play.


If they're good enough, anyone from anywhere in the world can play for any team. Unlike that nationalistic bullshit of the World Cup, the Olympics or the Eurovision Song Contest.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10331
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby addams » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

Wnderer wrote:
addams wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:America won the World Series? Cripes, that's like 80 times in a row!

Hey! The Americans always win that. Don't they?
They don't let anyone else play.


If they're good enough, anyone from anywhere in the world can play for any team. Unlike that nationalistic bullshit of the World Cup, the Olympics or the Eurovision Song Contest.

oh. I don't keep up.
I don't fact check sports stuff, either.

Because, I don't care.
When the catcher is Naked, it may gain my attention.

Heck. The idea of Naked Baseball captures my imagination.
The Catcher's NutSack would be fine entertainment, for me.

Do you know about the LifeStyle party that takes place inside every man's pants?
When I found out, it changed my internal landscape.

A man's balls, do so many weird things.
Men don't think is is weird, they are used to it.

Like a Galileo Thermometer, when it is cold the balls go up.
Like a Galileo Thermometer, when it is hot the balls drop.

That nut sack responds to the emotional state of its owner.
Their little friend the one eyed wonder does, too.

The only Fact I know about BaseBall is: To maintain my interest: The Catcher should be naked.
In my Imagination the Laughter Rings out across the land. Such fun.

It would significantly change my responds to the words, "It's BaseBall season."
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
PolakoVoador
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 pm UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

Wnderer wrote:
addams wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:America won the World Series? Cripes, that's like 80 times in a row!

Hey! The Americans always win that. Don't they?
They don't let anyone else play.


If they're good enough, anyone from anywhere in the world can play for any team. Unlike that nationalistic bullshit of the World Cup, the Olympics or the Eurovision Song Contest.


Erm.... I don't think the nationality of the players that is the problem, but rather the megalomania of naming a mostly national¹ competition "World Series"


¹Apart from the odd Canadian

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby emceng » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:35 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:
Wnderer wrote:
addams wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:America won the World Series? Cripes, that's like 80 times in a row!

Hey! The Americans always win that. Don't they?
They don't let anyone else play.


If they're good enough, anyone from anywhere in the world can play for any team. Unlike that nationalistic bullshit of the World Cup, the Olympics or the Eurovision Song Contest.


Erm.... I don't think the nationality of the players that is the problem, but rather the megalomania of naming a mostly national¹ competition "World Series"


¹Apart from the odd Canadian


Then blame the 1900s baseballers, and don't make it an assumed slight by the current USA.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10331
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby addams » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
PolakoVoador wrote:
Wnderer wrote:
addams wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:America won the World Series? Cripes, that's like 80 times in a row!

Hey! The Americans always win that. Don't they?
They don't let anyone else play.


If they're good enough, anyone from anywhere in the world can play for any team. Unlike that nationalistic bullshit of the World Cup, the Olympics or the Eurovision Song Contest.


Erm.... I don't think the nationality of the players that is the problem, but rather the megalomania of naming a mostly national¹ competition "World Series"


¹Apart from the odd Canadian


Then blame the 1900s baseballers, and don't make it an assumed slight by the current USA.

The current BaseBallers can take off their clothes.
The dominate culture of the last century was so uptight.

We are more enlightened.
New Rule: Catchers must be Naked.

oh. They get to have a mitt and a mask.
Just like a Dept. of Homeland Security party!

Only, no secrets and out in the daylight.
I still think it is a great idea!

What? No traction? No one else wants Naked BaseBall? Why?
We have those AssHoles doing that shit in private and we pay for it.

I want to Watch until it bores me like regular BaseBall.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 6598
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Thesh » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:37 am UTC

An elderly lady thought she was drafting a bill to increase privacy, but instead wrote a bill that expands the NSAs powers. Yes, I'm sure she is just suffering from senility, and I shouldn't make fun of her, but it's sometimes hard not to laugh.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/10/s ... rveillance
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7604
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Zamfir » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:08 am UTC

emceng wrote:
Then blame the 1900s baseballers, and don't make it an assumed slight by the current USA

I cry a little when I consider the plight of modern day Americans, forced to watch a silly named World Series, and completely unable to do anything about it.

Even worse, if you win the World Seies, you still don't get to play in the Champions League! Does that mean you are not a real Champion of the World if you win the World Series? Or perhaps the Champions League also has ridiculously pompous name! And there's nothing we can do about it!

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Diadem » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:20 am UTC

Neither of those can hold a candle to the Miss Universe elections, of course.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7604
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Zamfir » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:11 am UTC

That depends on semantics, I guess. If 'miss' means 'unmarried woman', the name is overblown. On the other hand, it arguably also has a more specific meaning of 'participant in beauty contests'.

In the second sense, the Miss Universe competition might do what they claim, compete for the best Miss in the Universe.

Reminds me of the Baker's Street joke. There's four bakers in Baker's Street . One gets a bout of marketing, puts up a sign with Best Baker in Town. Second baker responds with Best Baker in the Nation. Third baker decides to go all the way, and claims to be Best Baker in the Whole Wide World. Last baker thinks for a while, puts on a sign with Best Baker of Baker's Street.

User avatar
ahammel
My Little Cabbage
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 am UTC
Location: Vancouver BC
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby ahammel » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:I cry a little when I consider the plight of modern day Americans, forced to watch a silly named World Series, and completely unable to do anything about it.

Even worse, if you win the World Seies, you still don't get to play in the Champions League! Does that mean you are not a real Champion of the World if you win the World Series? Or perhaps the Champions League also has ridiculously pompous name! And there's nothing we can do about it!
It's the league which is contested by the champions of other leagues. Seems reasonably descriptive to me (although I guess it's more of a tournament than a league).

I remeber when Bayern Munich beat the Red Sox by six wickets in the Champion's League final on the back of a 100-yard rushing performance by Wayne Gretzky. Good times.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

User avatar
Wnderer
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Wnderer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

Russia is holding the Olympics this year.
They are inviting athletes from all over the world to participate.
The athletes have to get some nation state to sponsor them.
There's all kinds of political bullshit that goes along with that.

North America holds Major League Baseball every year.
They invite athletes from all over the world to participate.
They pay the athletes large sums of money.
No political bullshit.

The Red Sox are the MLBtm Champions of the World!

Keep politics out of sports, science and art.

User avatar
PolakoVoador
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 pm UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:
Zamfir wrote:I cry a little when I consider the plight of modern day Americans, forced to watch a silly named World Series, and completely unable to do anything about it.

Even worse, if you win the World Seies, you still don't get to play in the Champions League! Does that mean you are not a real Champion of the World if you win the World Series? Or perhaps the Champions League also has ridiculously pompous name! And there's nothing we can do about it!
It's the league which is contested by the champions of other leagues. Seems reasonably descriptive to me (although I guess it's more of a tournament than a league).

I remeber when Bayern Munich beat the Red Sox by six wickets in the Champion's League final on the back of a 100-yard rushing performance by Wayne Gretzky. Good times.


Not exactly. Stronger leagues get more teams to play the Champions League, up to 4 teams per league, if I recall correctly.

User avatar
eSOANEM
:D
Posts: 3652
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:39 pm UTC
Location: Grantabrycge

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

Wnderer wrote:The athletes have to get some nation state to sponsor them.


Not so.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

User avatar
Wnderer
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Wnderer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:
Wnderer wrote:The athletes have to get some nation state to sponsor them.


Not so.


I stand corrected.

EDIT: Why warm water freezes faster than cold water is discovered.
http://kottke.org/13/10/why-hot-water-f ... cold-water
Spoiler:
Why hot water freezes faster than cold water  OCT 31 2013

Not to get all Malcolm Gladwell here, but it's counterintuitive that hot water freezes faster than cold water. The phenomenon is called the Mpemba effect and until recently, no one could explain how it works. A group of researchers in Singapore think they've cracked the puzzle.

Now Xi and co say hydrogen bonds also explain the Mpemba effect. Their key idea is that hydrogen bonds bring water molecules into close contact and when this happens the natural repulsion between the molecules causes the covalent O-H bonds to stretch and store energy.

But as the liquid warms up, it forces the hydrogen bonds to stretch and the water molecules sit further apart. This allows the covalent molecules to shrink again and give up their energy. The important point is that this process in which the covalent bonds give up energy is equivalent to cooling.

In fact, the effect is additional to the conventional process of cooling. So warm water ought to cool faster than cold water, they say. And that's exactly what is observed in the Mpemba effect.

User avatar
Coyne
Posts: 1109
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:07 am UTC
Location: Orlando, Florida
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Coyne » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:An elderly lady A female operative of the security state who works undercover as a US Senator thought she was drafting drafted a bill ostensibly to increase privacy, but instead wrote a bill that expands the NSAs powers to allow them to do whatever they are already doing and more. Yes, I'm sure she is just not suffering from senility, and I shouldn't make fun of criticize her unless I want a microphone stuck up my ***, but it's sometimes hard not to laugh rage in protest.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/10/s ... rveillance

FTFY.
In all fairness...

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10331
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby addams » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:46 am UTC

EDIT: Why warm water freezes faster than cold water is discovered.
http://kottke.org/13/10/why-hot-water-f ... cold-water
Spoiler:

Wnderer

Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:10 pm UTC


Is it real? I have been hearing about this for years.
I have not reproduced. It is very counterintuitive.

I am willing to believe it. I have tried it a time or two.
But; With no proper lab, I get bored and dose off.

When I wake up, all the water is hard!
Is it true? Did you reproduce?
It has got to be easy for people with proper labs to reproduce.

If it is true, Hot water becomes Hard water faster than Cold water becomes hard water;
Then we must have other labs that say, "yea" or "neh".

I know why water does not burn.
Water does not burn, because it is already burnt.
Oxidation/Reduction Reaction.

Now; We need more labs to tell us.
Is it true? It is an internet myth?
Does hot water become hard water faster than cold water does?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:01 am UTC

The latest "What-If" was featured in the news today on Yahoo.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/bl ... 25732.html

Apparently Randall is an "unidentified blogger".

And then of course you have the horror of the internet: the comments section.

User avatar
PM 2Ring
Posts: 3715
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:19 pm UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby PM 2Ring » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:35 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Apparently Randall is an "unidentified blogger".

How bizarre.

Before I read that Yahoo article I just assumed that they didn't want to give Randall free publicity, but I see they're encouraging their readers to check out other What-If articles. True, Randall doesn't identify himself on the What-If pages, but surely the URL makes it obvious that What-If is connected with xkcd.

User avatar
Plasma Man
Posts: 2035
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:27 am UTC
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Plasma Man » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:48 am UTC

I was wondering if the creative commons license meant that they should have attributed it to him, but reading what's on the website, it looks like it's only the comics themselves that have the creative commons license.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Kain » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:05 am UTC

Maybe they didn't want to assume that Randall does both xkcd and What-if? After all, there are plenty of sites that host comics by different authors... Still, poor research indeed.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby phlip » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:34 am UTC

Plasma Man wrote:I was wondering if the creative commons license meant that they should have attributed it to him, but reading what's on the website, it looks like it's only the comics themselves that have the creative commons license.

Well, Fair Use still applies... CC is a copyright license, after all, so you only need to follow those restrictions if you're relying on that license as your permission to copy it in the first place. If the copyright doesn't apply, because of Fair Use, then the CC restrictions don't apply either.

Still, to be more accurate, they should have used a less passive phrasing there, to clarify that it's "this blogger that we haven't bothered to identify" as opposed to "this blogger that has not been identified".

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 6598
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Thesh » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:33 am UTC

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/11/02 ... .html?rh=1

Jim Wright, former Speaker of the House, denied voter ID in Texas.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Chen
Posts: 5580
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Chen » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

Super rock/paper/scissors robot made. Never loses to humans!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24803751

Of course its because it cheats and is just so fast you can't really process that's its throwing after you've already chosen what to throw. Still pretty cool.

User avatar
sardia
Posts: 6813
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:39 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby sardia » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Super rock/paper/scissors robot made. Never loses to humans!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24803751

Of course its because it cheats and is just so fast you can't really process that's its throwing after you've already chosen what to throw. Still pretty cool.

You don't need a robot to cheat, you can just use predictive algorithims. I'm pretty sure the NYtimes posted a link to a server that generates responses based on pattersn people make in playing rock paper scissors.

Chen
Posts: 5580
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Chen » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

sardia wrote:You don't need a robot to cheat, you can just use predictive algorithims. I'm pretty sure the NYtimes posted a link to a server that generates responses based on pattersn people make in playing rock paper scissors.


But that wouldn't help the first time it played that person no? It would have to effectively guess without a known pattern. This one wins even the first time, because it reacts faster than a human can recognize.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

Couldn't a human win by putting out two fingers first to make the computer think you're playing scissors, and then quickly putting out the rest of your fingers to play paper?
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Adacore » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Couldn't a human win by putting out two fingers first to make the computer think you're playing scissors, and then quickly putting out the rest of your fingers to play paper?

Watching the video, it looks like it would react to that by treating it as two separate games, playing rock to beat the scissors, then immediately switching to scissors in order to beat paper, with both of them being fully formed by the robot by the time your hand gets to the right shape.

User avatar
Jave D
chavey-dee
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Jave D » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/11/02/5300503/voter-id-law-snags-former-house.html?rh=1

Jim Wright, former Speaker of the House, denied voter ID in Texas.


Well, as he is a Democrat, clearly the voter ID legislation is working exactly as planned.

User avatar
Wnderer
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Wnderer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:49 am UTC

Jave D wrote:
Thesh wrote:http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/11/02/5300503/voter-id-law-snags-former-house.html?rh=1

Jim Wright, former Speaker of the House, denied voter ID in Texas.


Well, as he is a Democrat, clearly the voter ID legislation is working exactly as planned.


Former Speaker of the House pretends to not know that his out of date driver's license is not good enough for getting a voter ID. Shows up to get a voter ID with just his out of date driver's license. Get's turned down. Calls the press. "It's too hard. They accept my old driver's license at the liquor store as proof of age." says the 90 year old politician.

Left wing press eats it up.

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Adacore » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:00 am UTC

Wnderer wrote:Former Speaker of the House pretends to not know that his out of date driver's license is not good enough for getting a voter ID. Shows up to get a voter ID with just his out of date driver's license. Get's turned down. Calls the press. "It's too hard. They accept my old driver's license at the liquor store as proof of age." says the 90 year old politician.

Left wing press eats it up.

He never pretended that he thought his out of date license would be good enough. The article said he looked it up, found out that it wouldn't be good enough, went down to the office to check, and they confirmed it wasn't good enough. He called the press to make the (in my opinion valid) point that elderly people who have always been able to vote now may not be able to because they won't have the correct documents to hand, and wouldn't think to check in advance as he had done.

Voter ID laws are obviously (again, in my opinion) a bad thing for democracy. Just maintain an accurate electoral roll and trust people to be honest at the polls. The incidence of election fraud in established democracies in developed countries is extremely low, and the potential disenfranchisement issues are a far bigger concern.

User avatar
sardia
Posts: 6813
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:39 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby sardia » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:20 am UTC

Adacore wrote:
Wnderer wrote:Former Speaker of the House pretends to not know that his out of date driver's license is not good enough for getting a voter ID. Shows up to get a voter ID with just his out of date driver's license. Get's turned down. Calls the press. "It's too hard. They accept my old driver's license at the liquor store as proof of age." says the 90 year old politician.

Left wing press eats it up.

He never pretended that he thought his out of date license would be good enough. The article said he looked it up, found out that it wouldn't be good enough, went down to the office to check, and they confirmed it wasn't good enough. He called the press to make the (in my opinion valid) point that elderly people who have always been able to vote now may not be able to because they won't have the correct documents to hand, and wouldn't think to check in advance as he had done.

Voter ID laws are obviously (again, in my opinion) a bad thing for democracy. Just maintain an accurate electoral roll and trust people to be honest at the polls. The incidence of election fraud in established democracies in developed countries is extremely low, and the potential disenfranchisement issues are a far bigger concern.

Shush you, if you explain it, you'll ruin the plan to boost GOP voting percentages by disenfranchising groups that happen to vote Democratic.

User avatar
yurell
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 am UTC
Location: Australia!

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby yurell » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:53 am UTC

But think about the poor racists! If black people are allowed to easily vote, they will, and that means white vote counts for less! Why do you hate white* people?

*'white' of course means white, wealthy, able-bodied, cis-gendered, heterosexual, Christian men. What else could it possibly mean?!
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?


Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

User avatar
Suzaku
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 am UTC
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Suzaku » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:21 am UTC

Ice cream that glows when you lick it.

Not sure if cool or creepy. Possibly both.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests