In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10332
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby addams » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:13 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:take a step back and remember that the entire line of questioning regarding the affordability/availability of the cane the kid had is reliant on a statement that started with "if the random comment I saw on the reddit thread". if anyone could provide evidence that the parents failed to supply the cane then this stuff would make sense.

even then....EVEN IF the school had supplied the cane...you can't take a cane from a blind kid and replace it with anything that is not a cane. it's not like just putting a stick in the hands of a blind person means that they can get around every obstacle by default...you actually have to learn to "read" a cane to know how to traverse the various substances and obstacles we all face on a day to day basis. this relies heavily on how the device you're using to feel around actually responds to things, how the tip interacts with the ground or other objects, how the shaft itself transmits the impacts with objects, etc...

This I can understand.
A skilled blind man can find his way in total darkness using any old fucking thing.
I think he would be happier and more effective with his cane.

But; What if that story has even a shred of truth to it?
A blind child that does not have adequate education opportunities?
How bloody awful if That??

The blind have a lot to know sighted people don't need to know.
It's like being a kind of Jewish or Catholic or something.

The Jews go off the Hebrew School.
The Catholics take Cat-a-Chism.

The Blind Kids go to Blind and Braille School.
The Deaf Kids crack Jokes during Tests.

Life is, just, not fair.
Do the Blind in the US receive adequate care and appropriate education?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:16 pm UTC

Carlington wrote:
HungryHobo wrote:
you can't feel anything


You absolutely can, a new one is quite stiff, it's just a lot less sensitive than a really solid cane.
I'd be very interested to hear how you figured this out. If you yourself are blind then I apologise for the assumption that you don't know, but even then it seems unlikely that you would have gone out of your way to try using a pool noodle as a cane to be able to give a definitive answer on this.


Presumably, pool noodles being fairly common, he has used one at some point in his life before.

I agree with his assessment. Obviously, you can feel things with a pool noodle, but yeah, it's be way less sensitive than a cane would be.

It maybe isn't an ideal solution to violence with a cane, but I can see why it happened.

User avatar
Coyne
Posts: 1110
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:07 am UTC
Location: Orlando, Florida
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Coyne » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:17 pm UTC

Having personally been on the receiving end of some bullying in school...

I wonder if the charge of "hitting" a student was, itself, an instance of bullying. Based on my experience, it is not at all hard to imagine that--after he bumped another kid's foot with the cane--that he was accused by the other student of having struck him.

Bullying like that can border on torture; sly trips, wedgies, coordinated attacks (kid 1 watches the teacher while kid 2 executes a trick) and so on. The "blame game": "Joe" breaks something, then blames the bullied kid for doing it...and everyone else confirms that. If he is in fact being bullied, the charge could have completely been trumped up by a bully, with fellow bullies confirming the attack.

Of course, if he was bullied, he could also have lost his temper...

(The ABC News article says he "threw it in the air," not that he struck anyone.)

__

Oh, and do let me tell you: Back when I was in school, teachers and administrators were worse than useless when it came to stopping bullying. Even if you reported it, they would tell you to "defend yourself" or just shrug it off ("What do you expect me to do about it?"). And any such report was guaranteed to increase the sadism of the bullying. So tell me: Is it truly better today?
In all fairness...

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10332
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby addams » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:45 pm UTC

A blind kid should have other blind kids.
I'm not sure what he should do with them.

Learning to be a Peeping Tom might be out of the question.
They can sure look lile Peeping Toms.

Blind kids are like all other kids.
Except they don't see physical stuff as well as the sighted do.

"There are none so blind as those that will not to see."
What are we sticking our noses into it for, anyway?

It's not funny.
Blind people can be funny.

Did you know they learn to leave the lights on?
Not for themselves, for sighted people.

Sighted people that live with blind people sometimes leave the lights off.
Because, Why Not? At home, folks should know where shit is.

Blind people learn to be tidy.
It's easy to mess with them.

Moving the Car Keys messes with the Blind Guy and He Can't Drive!
How funny is That??

I can't help it.
My Inculturation is as an American.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
sardia
Posts: 6813
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:39 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby sardia » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:58 pm UTC

There's a movement away from zero tolerance so outbursts of violence aren't immediately met with suspension. That is a less bad thing.

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby morriswalters » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:16 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:take a step back and remember that the entire line of questioning regarding the affordability/availability of the cane the kid had is reliant on a statement that started with "if the random comment I saw on the reddit thread". if anyone could provide evidence that the parents failed to supply the cane then this stuff would make sense.
Yours may be but I dug a little deeper. The school did supply it. It isn't that that school wasn't wrong, they were. However if the child had had one at home he could of used it instead. The original news report had pics of the child going to a dance recital for his sister, carrying the noodle. Something is wrong with this picture. If he had another why the noodle and the tearful mother?

As for the school. When I give something to someone, it doesn't come with conditions, they own it. Taking an accessibility device away from a handicapped child may be a violation of some type of statute. The person responsible should have to wear a vision blocker of some kind for a couple of days and have to use the noodle to find their way around.
Tyndmyr wrote:Presumably, pool noodles being fairly common, he has used one at some point in his life before.

I agree with his assessment. Obviously, you can feel things with a pool noodle, but yeah, it's be way less sensitive than a cane would be.

It maybe isn't an ideal solution to violence with a cane, but I can see why it happened.
Surely you jest?

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:30 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:Presumably, pool noodles being fairly common, he has used one at some point in his life before.

I agree with his assessment. Obviously, you can feel things with a pool noodle, but yeah, it's be way less sensitive than a cane would be.

It maybe isn't an ideal solution to violence with a cane, but I can see why it happened.
Surely you jest?


If someone is being violent with something(the bus driver's perception may be in error here, but this was the given reason), then taking away the thing they are using to be violent is a common reaction. Surely a pool noodle is harder to hurt someone with. So sure, I can see why it happened.

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby morriswalters » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:49 am UTC

Exactly how was he targeting that violence?

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10550
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:26 am UTC

I don't know the whole story, but whenever I hear about these "ridiculous" stories with an "obviously evil bureaucrat", it virtually always turns out to be something a lot less shocking than the clickbait title makes it out to be. So I always play devil's advocate with those, give them the benefit of the doubt.

User avatar
sardia
Posts: 6813
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:39 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby sardia » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:25 am UTC

morriswalters wrote:Exactly how was he targeting that violence?

He's blind, not paralyzed. Big difference, that and he still has 4 other senses that have all this free neural space to be utilized.

In other news,
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/23/world ... v=top-news
North Korea is now offline. All 1000 internet addresses assigned to N. Korea has been DOSed into oblivion. The US refuses to comment.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:18 am UTC

In all fairness the DPRK barely uses the internet at all. I wonder if their internal internet has been affected as well.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10332
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby addams » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:18 am UTC

sardia wrote:
In other news,
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/23/world ... v=top-news
North Korea is now offline. All 1000 internet addresses assigned to N. Korea has been DOSed into oblivion. The US refuses to comment.

Somehow, not even surprising,
If the attack was American in origin — something the United States would probably never acknowledge
— it would be a rare effort by the United States to attack a nation’s Internet connections.


Even if the US has figured out how to control the internet.
Even if the US can shut down a foreign nation's internet.

We don't get to know about it.
That's not fun.

Slapstick is funny.
What happened to that nation when it lost Internet?
What would happen to the US if it lost Internet?

That! Would be funny.
From a distance.

Not up close.
It would not be funny, up close.

What would Americans do with themselves, if the screens went blank?
In two generations we would be ok. Not one moment before that.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Sizik
Posts: 1260
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Sizik » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:31 am UTC

I certainly wouldn't doubt Anonymous doing something like that.
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

User avatar
poochyena
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 2:02 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby poochyena » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:51 am UTC

DDoSing is basic hacking, technically, anyone could have done it.
I have no idea how easy or hard it is to find the servers to DDoS, but since they have so few, i guess its not too hard?

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5494
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:04 am UTC

Sizik wrote:I certainly wouldn't doubt Anonymous doing something like that.


Indeed. This seems more the work of Anonymous as opposed to US Government. I'd expect the US to be more public, something like an official announcement + sanctions of some kind. There's really no point to a retaliatory attack unless you make it a big deal and announce it to the world.

On the other hand, Anonymous is in it for the lulz, and lulz are being had right now.

poochyena wrote:DDoSing is basic hacking, technically, anyone could have done it.
I have no idea how easy or hard it is to find the servers to DDoS, but since they have so few, i guess its not too hard?


DDoS or DoS ??

There's a difference. Anyone can do a DDoS. Its basically the "tell all your friends to flood out their internet" technique. It isn't very hard to do, but its also defended quite easily. All North Korea would have to do is ban IPs from a particular address, and a DDOS attack is nullified. On the other hand, I'm thinking this attack is a more careful DoS attack, especially because its taking so long for N. Korea's internet to come back. That would mean a more significant hack.

Or maybe not even a "hack". Apparently, all traffic to and from North Korea is routed through China. All China has to do is pull the plug, and then have a hard talk with North Korea.

http://www.vox.com/2014/12/22/7433873/n ... ernet-down

It's also possible that China is attempting to shut down North Korea's internet connections with the outside world, perhaps so as to avoid future North Korean attacks that would embarrass China. While China is North Korea's patron, it also typically seeks to tamp down the Hermit Kingdom's provocations, which Beijing rightly sees as bad for Chinese interests.


Whatever is going on is anybody's guess. I'm personally leaning towards Anonymous, because they've got a quick reaction time. China / US are big bureaucracies. I'd expect a response measured in weeks, not within days. Obama probably hasn't even met with his generals yet to discuss a cyberstrategy, let alone formulate a reasoned counter-attack against North Korea.

China probably doesn't need a big bureaucracy to make the decision to cut a service to North Korea. But the amount of politiking that needs to go on so that the President is sure that he has authorization from... some law from Congress... such that he can (cyber) attack a nation we haven't formally declared war on... it just seems unlikely. There's a lot of red tape here. Unless someone can prove that like... real damage occurred (aka: somebody died), I don't think the President really has much power for a military response.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:39 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:Exactly how was he targeting that violence?


What, you think blind people can't be violent, or at least, can't target anyone? Seriously? Have you ever actually spent time with visually impaired folks?

User avatar
PolakoVoador
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 pm UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby PolakoVoador » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:45 pm UTC

Sizik wrote:I certainly wouldn't doubt Anonymous doing something like that.

There were some informations about NK network going around reddit yesterday (or the day before? I'm not sure). Someone could've used that information to launch the attack.

DSenette
Posts: 2418
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby DSenette » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:52 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
morriswalters wrote:Exactly how was he targeting that violence?


What, you think blind people can't be violent, or at least, can't target anyone? Seriously? Have you ever actually spent time with visually impaired folks?

whether blind people can or can't be assholes is irrelevant. you don't take away assistive devices from people that need them.

you can't say "well, little deaf jimmy kept saying 'billy is a cunt' every time he hears billy talk so we took his hearing aids away". it's not only illegal, but it's immorally punitive
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:12 pm UTC

... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet
Posts: 5967
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:50 pm UTC
Location: Sydney

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:54 pm UTC

Yeahhhh... we've got another year and three quarters before that's over. Its fun that he had a cabinet reshuffle and kept the ministry of women for himself, but he did double the number of women in his cabinet, going from 1 to 2.

The opposition has had a two party preferred lead since the election, and they're sitting at about 55% now, with the opposition leader actually getting some pretty good numbers for a guy who probably doesn't have great recognition numbers. Also, the senate is pretty well blocked with some weird third parties clogging it nicely. So... probably not much going to happen on his watch... hopefully. I mean, we're at 12 year high on unemployment numbers, and they're expected to get worse, so a government change has gotta be on the cards in a year and three quarters.

That's all there is, fellow australians, about 21 more months of this bull plop.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:39 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:
morriswalters wrote:Exactly how was he targeting that violence?


What, you think blind people can't be violent, or at least, can't target anyone? Seriously? Have you ever actually spent time with visually impaired folks?

whether blind people can or can't be assholes is irrelevant. you don't take away assistive devices from people that need them.

you can't say "well, little deaf jimmy kept saying 'billy is a cunt' every time he hears billy talk so we took his hearing aids away". it's not only illegal, but it's immorally punitive


The reason I can see it happening is because they are portraying the assistive device as the weapon. So, it isn't "let's punish him by making him suffer, because disability" but "remove the weapon from the situation". Yes, it has both effects, but the one thing is FAR more reasonable.

The pool noodle is probably not a very good assistive device, but it looks like they were trying to remove the means of violence, while retaining the assistive device in some capacity. That doesn't seem that crazy.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:24 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:That's all there is, fellow australians, about 21 more months of this bull plop.
I could just do this research myself, but figured I'll just ask; what's his approval rating like, what are the odds of his reelection (are there term limits?), why isn't there more opposition to his anti-environment stuff given Australia's history with that ozone hole?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

HungryHobo
Posts: 1708
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:01 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby HungryHobo » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:01 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
The reason I can see it happening is because they are portraying the assistive device as the weapon. So, it isn't "let's punish him by making him suffer, because disability" but "remove the weapon from the situation". Yes, it has both effects, but the one thing is FAR more reasonable.

The pool noodle is probably not a very good assistive device, but it looks like they were trying to remove the means of violence, while retaining the assistive device in some capacity. That doesn't seem that crazy.


damn you and your reasonableness! don't you know that emotive hyperbole is what gets re-blogs.

If you use your assistive device to hurt someone you're not guaranteed to get to keep it. if a blind person trained their guide dog to attack people who they didn't like one way or another they're very likely to lose the dog.

If a dyslexic kid needs a specially adapted laptop in class and either uses it to 1: hit other kids or 2: disrupts class seriously by, say, playing porn sounds over the speakers in the middle of class, again, they're likely to have it taken off them for a little while.

Just because it's related to a disability doesn't grant it a magical forcefield that forbids reasonable temporary restrictions on the item.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

User avatar
Carlington
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Carlington » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:56 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
jestingrabbit wrote:That's all there is, fellow australians, about 21 more months of this bull plop.
I could just do this research myself, but figured I'll just ask; what's his approval rating like, what are the odds of his reelection (are there term limits?), why isn't there more opposition to his anti-environment stuff given Australia's history with that ozone hole?

There's plenty of opposition, plenty of activists, I know of at least three blockades of sites related to the mining industry that are ongoing (sites like mines, fracking sites, coal loaders) in New South Wales and I assume there's more in other states, and there's an annual "People's Blockade of the World's Largest Coal Port" in my home town. The problem is that they get absolutely no media coverage, so only people who are already activists or at least move in activist circles know about it, unless they live in the affected area.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10332
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby addams » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:19 am UTC

Carlington wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:
jestingrabbit wrote:That's all there is, fellow australians, about 21 more months of this bull plop.
I could just do this research myself, but figured I'll just ask; what's his approval rating like, what are the odds of his reelection (are there term limits?), why isn't there more opposition to his anti-environment stuff given Australia's history with that ozone hole?

There's plenty of opposition, plenty of activists, I know of at least three blockades of sites related to the mining industry that are ongoing (sites like mines, fracking sites, coal loaders) in New South Wales and I assume there's more in other states, and there's an annual "People's Blockade of the World's Largest Coal Port" in my home town. The problem is that they get absolutely no media coverage, so only people who are already activists or at least move in activist circles know about it, unless they live in the affected area.

What the Heck are you people writing about?
You have Sit In's?
Why?

I'm a world away.
That sort of gossip does not reach me.

I do understand Why people need to Stand Up or Sit Down for Environmental Issues.
I also know, The Crazy runs thick in the people on Both Sides.

Fracking is a Bad Idea.
If all you want is Oil.
Then it's fine.

The people living in those effected areas, often don't have other places to go.
When the fucking fracking is complete, the water is left behind.
That water is not much better for People and Plants than the Gas that was extracted is for People and Plants.

How is your Ozone?
In 2007 I heard from a fairly reliable source, The Ozone is a little Better.
What do you think? People that live there, should know. Is it better?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
K-R
Posts: 1564
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 pm UTC
Location: Australia

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby K-R » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:13 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:(are there term limits?)

No.

why isn't there more opposition to his anti-environment stuff given Australia's history with that ozone hole?

Rupert Murdoch.
ImageImage

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10332
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby addams » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:06 am UTC

Rupert Murdoch?
Oh.

The Baggers in the US say Mr. Obama is not an American.
They go on and on about it.

Ruthless Murdoch has More Power than Mr. Obama does.
Ruthless Murdock has less oversight and less responsibility than Mr. Obama.
Ruthless Murdock has more freedom and more privacy than Mr. Obama.

And! Ruthless Murdock was Not born in the US!
He is an Aussie Problem.
I know he acts like a US American.

Your Box Jellies and your Ruthless Murdock.
The Box Jellies can't hurt Millions all at the same time like Ruthless can.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet
Posts: 5967
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:50 pm UTC
Location: Sydney

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:45 am UTC

K-R wrote:Rupert Murdoch.


As much as I dislike the guy (recent ghoulishness particularly showing him for what he is) the real reason is more likely the fact that Labor had leadership instability. The PM for most of last term, Gillard, was leaked against by the supporters of Rudd, because Gillard supplanted Rudd just before the election that happened 5 years ago.

So, Labor appeared pretty dysfunctional.

But the reason the anti-environment stuff is a-okay by a lot of people is because we've just had a decades long boom, driven by mining coal and iron ore for the Chinese and other asian markets, and the mining is seen as being in opposition to the environment.

As it happens, you can employ a lot of people in the new power generation modes, but people don't want to hear that.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

User avatar
yurell
Posts: 2924
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:19 am UTC
Location: Australia!

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby yurell » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:49 am UTC

Yeah, Labor really screwed themselves over, but a foreign billionaire mobilising his multimedia empire to report incredibly biased news in favour of one party and ruthlessly attack another didn't exactly help.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?


Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby morriswalters » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:57 pm UTC

HungryHobo wrote:damn you and your reasonableness! don't you know that emotive hyperbole is what gets re-blogs.

If you use your assistive device to hurt someone you're not guaranteed to get to keep it. if a blind person trained their guide dog to attack people who they didn't like one way or another they're very likely to lose the dog.

If a dyslexic kid needs a specially adapted laptop in class and either uses it to 1: hit other kids or 2: disrupts class seriously by, say, playing porn sounds over the speakers in the middle of class, again, they're likely to have it taken off them for a little while.

Just because it's related to a disability doesn't grant it a magical forcefield that forbids reasonable temporary restrictions on the item.
Next time your son throws food at his sister, take his food away for a few days. That will teach him. Generally with kids you remove something they want really bad, not something they need. Keep the punishment proportional to the crime. And if he is acting out on the bus, letting his parents transport him seems to be a more proportional response. The noodle seems a lot like a dunce cap in this case, meant to call attention to the blind dummy who got his cane taken away. Add to that having parents who can't seem to supply their child with something as inexpensive as a blind cane is kinda sad. However you are correct, nationwide attention to something this trivial is an indicator of how much people love to gossip. Me included.


On another note, I once fantasized about moving to Australia. I suppose that I shouldn't be surprised that it is a case of the grass isn't really all that much greener elsewhere.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:02 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:
HungryHobo wrote:damn you and your reasonableness! don't you know that emotive hyperbole is what gets re-blogs.

If you use your assistive device to hurt someone you're not guaranteed to get to keep it. if a blind person trained their guide dog to attack people who they didn't like one way or another they're very likely to lose the dog.

If a dyslexic kid needs a specially adapted laptop in class and either uses it to 1: hit other kids or 2: disrupts class seriously by, say, playing porn sounds over the speakers in the middle of class, again, they're likely to have it taken off them for a little while.

Just because it's related to a disability doesn't grant it a magical forcefield that forbids reasonable temporary restrictions on the item.
Next time your son throws food at his sister, take his food away for a few days. That will teach him. Generally with kids you remove something they want really bad, not something they need. Keep the punishment proportional to the crime. And if he is acting out on the bus, letting his parents transport him seems to be a more proportional response. The noodle seems a lot like a dunce cap in this case, meant to call attention to the blind dummy who got his cane taken away. Add to that having parents who can't seem to supply their child with something as inexpensive as a blind cane is kinda sad. However you are correct, nationwide attention to something this trivial is an indicator of how much people love to gossip. Me included.


On another note, I once fantasized about moving to Australia. I suppose that I shouldn't be surprised that it is a case of the grass isn't really all that much greener elsewhere.


For disability, the usual standard is "reasonable accomodation". Letting someone use a cane to see his way along is reasonable. Letting him keep the cane he uses to hit people is not. Could even be a liability for the school if it happens again, and they took no action to prevent it. Acting out on the bus could mean acting out at school. Making his parents drive him isn't guaranteed to fix that.

And if his parents can't afford a cane, they probably can't drive him every day. So, that ends up being MORE burdensome.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10332
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby addams » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:26 pm UTC

yurell wrote:Yeah, Labor really screwed themselves over, but a foreign billionaire mobilising his multimedia empire to report incredibly biased news in favour of one party and ruthlessly attack another didn't exactly help.

There is That.
There may also be 'visits' from men and/or women.
People that say to your representative, "Mr. Murdoch does Not want you to.....fill in The Blank)

I Know, for a Fact, that happens in the US.
Mr. Murdoch, Mr, Cheney, men that have more Power than Generals.

There is very little funny about it.
Well...ok...

On some levels it is hysterical.
It's a good thing the Big Boyz are on the Same Side.

I don't know how creepy and ruthless Murdoch is, not first hand.
I Know a little about Cheney and Dages.

Those Fuckers Brag!
I was on the wrong side of those conversations to be giggling.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.
Posts: 826
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:30 am UTC
Location: 19T526268 4971339 (NAD 83)

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby ivnja » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:44 am UTC

yurell wrote:Yeah, Labor really screwed themselves over, but a foreign billionaire mobilising his multimedia empire to report incredibly biased news in favour of one party and ruthlessly attack another didn't exactly help.

I thought he was Australian? Because everything after the comma is kind of how we think of him over here (US), I think.
Hi you.
she/her

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10332
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby addams » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:31 am UTC

ivnja wrote:
yurell wrote:Yeah, Labor really screwed themselves over, but a foreign billionaire mobilising his multimedia empire to report incredibly biased news in favour of one party and ruthlessly attack another didn't exactly help.

I thought he was Australian? Because everything after the comma is kind of how we think of him over here (US), I think.

I don't feel like Googling it.
He became an American Citizen.

There was some High Power Position or Possession he wanted that was denied non-Citizens.
He bought citizenship. It's not a Big Deal. Yet it is True. Protections for the US can be paid away.

What is that old One Liner?
"With enough money, anything is possible."
Is that it?

If a person can control the Ear Worms,
That person can control the Nation and then The World.

It's a game for the Very Rich.
A Spectator Sport where Everyone Plays. Like War.
In fact Exactly like War. So mush like War, it is War.

War on TV everyday with some Cutie Pie reading a pre-authorized script.
Those scripts are not pre-authoized by a department within the Executive Branch.
No Politician or Private Citizen Dare Cross That Man, Ruthless Murdoch.

There is a One Liner for That one, too.
"You fuck One Goat.....No one forgets."

Especially if your Goat Fucking is on every channel several times a day.
No one will ever forget the Oval Office Blow Job.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

WilliamLehnsherr
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:58 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:24 am UTC

ivnja wrote:
yurell wrote:Yeah, Labor really screwed themselves over, but a foreign billionaire mobilising his multimedia empire to report incredibly biased news in favour of one party and ruthlessly attack another didn't exactly help.

I thought he was Australian? Because everything after the comma is kind of how we think of him over here (US), I think.


He became an American citizen before Australia recognised dual citizenship.

For a country that constantly claims New Zealand celebrities as our own, we have a very narrow definition of "Australian" when it comes to people like Rupert Murdoch, Mel Gibson, and Rolf Harris.

User avatar
sardia
Posts: 6813
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:39 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby sardia » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:03 pm UTC

Turns out propaganda works . http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/tele ... d-poverty/
A mere 4 minutes of fox or MSNBC makes you .7% more partisan.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:57 pm UTC

sardia wrote:Turns out propaganda works . http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/tele ... d-poverty/
A mere 4 minutes of fox or MSNBC makes you .7% more partisan.


I wonder how much more irritable it would make a person. I suspect significantly. Getting people fired up/annoyed might have the side effect(well, from a certain view) of boosting partisanship. Personally, I find much modern news to be obnoxious, and cannot help but wonder how widespread that is.

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby morriswalters » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:01 pm UTC

Exercise choice. Quit Watching.

User avatar
DaBigCheez
Posts: 838
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby DaBigCheez » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:08 pm UTC

sardia wrote:Turns out propaganda works . http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/tele ... d-poverty/
A mere 4 minutes of fox or MSNBC makes you .7% more partisan.


It's behind a paywall, so I can't check for myself, but I'm really curious what the error bars are on that - that seems like a difficult size of effect to make statistically significant unless their sample size was truly enormous...
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

User avatar
sardia
Posts: 6813
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:39 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby sardia » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:47 pm UTC

DaBigCheez wrote:
sardia wrote:Turns out propaganda works . http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/tele ... d-poverty/
A mere 4 minutes of fox or MSNBC makes you .7% more partisan.


It's behind a paywall, so I can't check for myself, but I'm really curious what the error bars are on that - that seems like a difficult size of effect to make statistically significant unless their sample size was truly enormous...

Its probably a linear regression formula so x minutes of TV watched correlated to y partisan score.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests