In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

PeteP
What the peck?

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby PeteP » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:53 pm UTC

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/02/league-of-legends-e-sports-organizer-puts-limits-on-lgtbq-participants/
A woman only league of legends tournament tried to restrict teams to have at most one transgender or lesbian members. (I wonder whether they would have gotten that much flak if they left the lesbian part away.)

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:16 pm UTC

Why is there a women only LoL tournament anyways? I can understand segregating by sex in athletic sports but how does that make any sense for e-sports? The argument that somehow "Lesbian, Gay or Transgendered Women members may probably have some unfair advantage" is just asinine. That said, are they somehow assuming that men would also have an unfair advantage versus women here? I can't even make a joke about playing the game with your penis, because somehow lesbians are included in that unfairly advantaged category.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:25 pm UTC

The lesbian part seems... odd.
I do find it interesting that the best female SC2 player (as far as I can tell) is transgender. I don't really know of any other female players that are in the same league - I'm vaguely aware of other female players, but none that are as prolific as Scarlett.
But I find it interesting because I can't think of an explanation for the apparent discrepancy - it's not like physical sports where there are obvious physiological differences between genders. Other competitive games I've played and know a bit about have had female representation at the very top (perhaps under-represented - sexism is a thing), but none of these were on the SC2/LoL level.

I also find it interesting that Chess has a similar "problem" - only one female player has really made it to the very top.

What is female/transgender representation like at the top of LoL? I don't follow that scene at all.

Chen wrote:Why is there a women only LoL tournament anyways?

Why is there a Women's World Chess Championship? Women are allowed to compete against men (and notably, Judit Polgar never did enter the WWCC).

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:40 pm UTC

There was a similar discussion before on a similar news, but I can't remember where in the forums.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:00 pm UTC

Grop wrote:There was a similar discussion before on a similar news, but I can't remember where in the forums.

I believe it was when they banned female players from a Hearthstone tournament or something like that.

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:55 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Grop wrote:There was a similar discussion before on a similar news, but I can't remember where in the forums.

I believe it was when they banned female players from a Hearthstone tournament or something like that.

The same tournament effectively had female only Starcraft 2 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 tournaments. it just sounds more inflammatory to note only the game which was in the male set but not the female.

Ya, it was pretty silly, they were trying to be like other pro-sports, seemingly in a sort of cargo cult way where they ape the way things are done in other major sporting events.

I heard speculation that it may have been a sponsorship thing such that some sponsors had money earmarked for female or male leagues in events.

The lesbian part seems... odd.

I'm wondering if in the past there's been a strong trend for the winning teams to be all trans/lesbian in the past.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:00 pm UTC

I think they separate them so that the guys won't be all, "Ur a girl? TOGTFO!" and another such statements.

It's really so that both the men and and women can remain dignified.

Or, you know, 'cuz there is a tradition of separating the sexes for the most trivial reasons.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:03 pm UTC

I was speculating somewhere else that maybe they were trying to say that teams can have one male gay player or something. But that is a super generous reading of a confusing page.

mousewiz

Postby mousewiz » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:46 pm UTC

Note: they've changed their minds and have apologized. The linked article mentions it at the top.

My guesses for the initial decision:
1) "Garena Philippines eSports" -- how are the Philippines with these sorts of issues in general? I don't know. I feel like I've heard bad things, but I can't think of anything specific I've heard.
2) Backlash = publicity.

I can think of plenty of transphobic reasons for trying to limit participation from transgendered females, but those reasons don't really jive with also limiting lesbians.

I'm still curious if this decision would have had any significant impact on team composition... the linked article doesn't mention any transgendered or lesbian LoL players who would have been impacted and instead has to allude to Scarlett, which makes me think it wouldn't have had much of an impact on anything.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:52 pm UTC

(I realize that I'm a day or two behind, but I really wanted to chime in on this topic...)
Diadem wrote:
Thesh wrote:According to wikipedia, in 2010 Kermit had 5690 people, 29.9 under the age of 18, which is about 1700 people. Assuming an even distribution between ages, their K-5 school serves 1/3rd of them or 567 students, give or take. That would be around 20 classrooms, which is pretty small.

What? Ok major culture shock here.

The average size of a primary school in the Netherlands is 225 kids. That's average, most small town schools are smaller. And that's with 8 years, not 6. A primary school with 567 kids is HUGE. Why would you make primary schools so big? Do primary schools in America already offer different types of courses or something?

Fairfax County, Virginia, which is near where I live, is regarded as one of the best school districts in the country. According to Wikipedia, the school district has 186,785 students distributed between 25 high/secondary schools, 23 middle schools, and 196 elementary schools. If the elementary schools have about half of the total students, which is reasonable, then on average they have 475 students each. (Very close to Deva's national average.) And these schools are for a county covering 400 square miles, so basically each school represents two square miles. And believe me, it seems like it, too... there are many schools about a mile from each other. You pass school after school on the same main roads. We need to have this many schools this size because there are so many students. And the county has to have more school buses than Greyhound does in the country. Would you have us have twice as many schools?

Of course, there are many private schools in the area as well, and they have smaller student populations... but I couldn't find numbers on them.

EDIT: here's a map.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:53 am UTC

Zamfir wrote:That makes you our official expert on the good ole days. So, was there much poop in the food in those days?

No. Back then, most companies (including food companies) still had a totally misguided sense of pride in quality and service to the community.

All that unprofitable nonsense has been carefully eradicated from today's modern, advanced corporations. So, today, you get poop.
In all fairness...

addams

Postby addams » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:21 am UTC

Zamfir wrote:
addams wrote:Water Born Fecal Diseases can become as common as they were back in that man's imagery. "good ole' days"

coyne wrote:Special memory from the one-room school: One afternoon in 1963

That makes you our official expert on the good ole days. So, was there much poop in the food in those days?

Me?
I know there was some effort to keep poop out of the food and out of the water.

Those efforts failed in Cities more than in Rural Communities.
The Big Bad Government with its crushing regulations reduced the shit in our diets.

Would you like a list of water borne diseases that could come back
if The Big Bad Government looses interest in waste disposal regulations?

I forgot Why you were discussing poop in the food.
I remember standing stunned when George II announced changes in allowed poop ratios
in meat that had been irritated meat to kill pathogens.
http://www.physics.isu.edu/radinf/food.htm

Even if it doesn't make me sick,
I want a beef burger.
Not a Beef-Shit burger.

I don't know what the ratios are.
There are somethings it is best to not think about too much.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:42 am UTC

Toronto girls hockey league tells coaches they cannot touch players on the bench — not even on the helmet

Associantion president wrote:What we recommend, what Hockey Canada recommends, is you do a fist bump, like a high five, end of story. Not tapping kids on the head, because you tap a kid on the head, even when they’re wearing a helmet, you could conceivably give a kid a concussion,

I think they might need better helmets...

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:56 pm UTC

I can see not wanting your adult male coach giving your female child a slap on the ass for a good shift, but tapping a helmet or patting the back or shoulders? Come on now.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:16 pm UTC

Chen wrote:I can see not wanting your adult male coach giving your female child a slap on the ass for a good shift, but tapping a helmet or patting the back or shoulders? Come on now.

However, if you're a female or adolescent male coach, slap away on those asses!
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:22 pm UTC

Also, players are now required to wear one of these.

And instead of ice and ice skates, it will be a ball pit. And instead of sticks, they will have foam gloves. And instead of Hockey it will be The Quiet Game.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:41 pm UTC

The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:39 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Also, players are now required to wear one of these.

And instead of ice and ice skates, it will be a ball pit. And instead of sticks, they will have foam gloves. And instead of Hockey it will be The Quiet Game.

http://granitegrok.com/wp-content/uploa ... taball.jpg
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:41 pm UTC

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2015/0 ... andwashing
GOP says prevention of shit being consumed by restaurant patrons should be regulated by the free market. Here's the thing, the free market does an awful job keeping their hands clean of crap. You have to be aggressive about scrubbing their hands to clean off the fecal bacteria.
Studies show people won't do it unless you are in their face about it.http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2009/10 ... dwash.html

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:34 pm UTC

sardia wrote:http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2015/02/04/383830990/would-you-eat-at-a-restaurant-that-skipped-the-handwashing
GOP says prevention of shit being consumed by restaurant patrons should be regulated by the free market. Here's the thing, the free market does an awful job keeping their hands clean of crap. You have to be aggressive about scrubbing their hands to clean off the fecal bacteria.
Studies show people won't do it unless you are in their face about it.http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2009/10 ... dwash.html

I saw where Senator Thom Tillis said that, “I don’t have any problem with Starbucks if they choose to opt out of this policy as long as they post a sign that says ‘We don’t require our employees to wash their hands after leaving the restroom.'"

I wanted to ask him in an innocent voice, if he would be, "fine with a regulation requiring such a sign if the restaurant opts out?" Of course, you know he wouldn't be in favor of that, because all regulation is, "Bad!" and the free market is, "All!"

So then I would say, "So let me get this straight: Your free market solution to this problem is, 'Eat at the restaurant. If you get sick and die, you shouldn't eat there anymore.'"

Free market zealots annoy me when their only solution is, "let the buyer beware". Oh and by the way, you know of course that those same people are entirely opposed to the buyer being able to be wary; such that any "truth" the buyer might be able to encounter on a ratings website must be punished as libelous.
In all fairness...

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:40 pm UTC

Libertarians, or at least those that understand libertarianism, have no problem with things like mandatory labeling of medicines; they think it's fine if you want to waste your money on St. John's wort, but if the bottle says 100 mg of St. John's wort it contains that much and only that.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:42 pm UTC

Well, under the libertarian system, you would still be able to sue the company after the fact.*

*Provided you can specifically prove it was them that got you sick, and if you can't then you should be liable for paying for the opposing side's multi-million dollar lawyers.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:46 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:
sardia wrote:http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2015/02/04/383830990/would-you-eat-at-a-restaurant-that-skipped-the-handwashing

I saw where Senator Thom Tillis said that, “I don’t have any problem with Starbucks if they choose to opt out of this policy as long as they post a sign that says ‘We don’t require our employees to wash their hands after leaving the restroom.'"

I wanted to ask him in an innocent voice, if he would be, "fine with a regulation requiring such a sign if the restaurant opts out?" Of course, you know he wouldn't be in favor of that, because all regulation is, "Bad!" and the free market is, "All!"

So then I would say, "So let me get this straight: Your free market solution to this problem is, 'Eat at the restaurant. If you get sick and die, you shouldn't eat there anymore.'"

Free market zealots annoy me when their only solution is, "let the buyer beware". Oh and by the way, you know of course that those same people are entirely opposed to the buyer being able to be wary; such that any "truth" the buyer might be able to encounter on a ratings website must be punished as libelous.

Posting a sign would seem to enable the buyer to be wary.

I also don't see that posting such a sign would be terribly popular with patrons, though. I also can't imagine that, in practice, there'd be a significant benefit to abandoning hand-washing. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would suddenly be popular. Yeah, maybe people aren't great at doing it themselves, but they generally want others to do it, at least.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:51 pm UTC

Dammit, isn't washing your hands one of the things that T Roosevelt got in place when he established the FDA? I'm nearly libertarian, but things like OSHA are things I wholeheartedly support.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:56 pm UTC

Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:21 am UTC

Radioshack has filed for bankruptcy. Some initial rumors are that Amazon is going to buy up some of Radio Shack's stores to set up Amazon Lockers. The rest are going to be closed down. But in any case, RIP Radioshack... they had a good run and a long downfall.

Hard to imagine back when "Tandy" was a premier brand of PCs, and Radio Shack was at the forefront of PC innovation. But I remember a Tandy 386 system... complete with "Turbo" button and everything.

I guess a lot can happen in 20 years. Frankly, I'm surprised Radio Shack has lasted this long, they haven't been profitable in over a decade IIRC.

Coyne wrote:

Indeed. Requiring that restaurants post signs about employees not washing hands is a regulation in of itself. That is quite ridiculous that Senator Thom Tillis doesn't think about that...

I'd rather see the whole context though. It seems like there's a CSpan video with the complete unedited thoughts. I'll report back sometime tonight whether or not the story does Thom Tillis justice.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:15 am UTC

Coke tricked into retweeting "Mein Kampf" in form of cute little ASCII drawings.

Mein Kampf in and of itself isn't funny. Although putting it in cute ASCII drawings and tricking Coke kinda is.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:25 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Libertarians, or at least those that understand libertarianism, have no problem with things like mandatory labeling of medicines; they think it's fine if you want to waste your money on St. John's wort, but if the bottle says 100 mg of St. John's wort it contains that much and only that.

In general, I have no problem with those who understand libertarianism. I don't think it's very practical, but I believe they mean well. There are lots of Utopians with different theories as to how to achieve Utopia that are equally impractical.

The biggest problem I see is, it appears to me, that somewhere between 80-90% of claimed "libertarians" are actually totalistic anarchists. About half of those might agree that shooting your neighbor is a bad thing, but have no idea how that would be prevented since they'er certain there should be no such thing as a government. (Government is irremediably bad.) The other half want no rules at all, of any kind (except the rules they would make with their gun, of course).

But they'll tell you not to worry: "Trust us."
In all fairness...

addams

Postby addams » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:43 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Coke tricked into retweeting "Mein Kampf" in form of cute little ASCII drawings.

Mein Kampf in and of itself isn't funny. Although putting it in cute ASCII drawings and tricking Coke kinda is.

Coyne seems to understand what he is typing about.
That's not very funny. well...From a Distance it is.

The Coke thing is tragically funny.
Coke noticed some negativity on the internet.

They have proven the hypothesis.
That's funny. It's tragic, too.

The poor Coke Company.
They want to hold the world's hand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2msbfN81Gm0

The World is into BDSMGLBT.
Poor Coke.

Even a big company can be Swamped by the commoners of The Internet.
The Internet Sucks, because even nice people, like me, think it's funny.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:49 am UTC

Coyne wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Libertarians, or at least those that understand libertarianism, have no problem with things like mandatory labeling of medicines; they think it's fine if you want to waste your money on St. John's wort, but if the bottle says 100 mg of St. John's wort it contains that much and only that.

In general, I have no problem with those who understand libertarianism. I don't think it's very practical, but I believe they mean well. There are lots of Utopians with different theories as to how to achieve Utopia that are equally impractical.

The biggest problem I see is, it appears to me, that somewhere between 80-90% of claimed "libertarians" are actually totalistic anarchists. About half of those might agree that shooting your neighbor is a bad thing, but have no idea how that would be prevented since they'er certain there should be no such thing as a government. (Government is irremediably bad.) The other half want no rules at all, of any kind (except the rules they would make with their gun, of course).

The irony is that libertarians and the more hardcore socialists/labor unions actually have nearly identical goals economically; they want every individual to be paid exactly what they are worth, with no 'exploitation' by the higher ups. They just disagree on the methods. Socialists believe that by having all sorts of bureaucracy in place, whether by government intervention or through strong unions, each worker can be guaranteed a fair value. Libertarians believe that government bureaucracy is crafted by the owners to subvert the bargaining position of the individual workers, and by eliminating bureaucracy each worker will be able to negotiate for the wages they are worth. So you have a group on the Far Left and a group on the Far Right with practically the same goal but completely opposite methods. What makes this doubly ironic is that most Far Left Far Right groups have the opposite goals but the same methods (horseshoe theory).

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:05 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
Coyne wrote:

The irony is that libertarians and the more hardcore socialists/labor unions actually have nearly identical goals economically; they want every individual to be paid exactly what they are worth, with no 'exploitation' by the higher ups. They just disagree on the methods. Socialists believe that by having all sorts of bureaucracy in place, whether by government intervention or through strong unions, each worker can be guaranteed a fair value. Libertarians believe that government bureaucracy is crafted by the owners to subvert the bargaining position of the individual workers, and by eliminating bureaucracy each worker will be able to negotiate for the wages they are worth. So you have a group on the Far Left and a group on the Far Right with practically the same goal but completely opposite methods. What makes this doubly ironic is that most Far Left Far Right groups have the opposite goals but the same methods (horseshoe theory).

So you don't really understand socialists, either...

addams

Postby addams » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:53 am UTC

How is that funny?

If you squint and look at it, Just Right,
I'm sure you can find something funny about it.

Libertarian Anarchists vs Socialist Communists.

I'd watch that.
That's going to be a short and sweet Sugar Bowl.

Except...Well...Except...
Have you ever met any Real Communists?

In my experience they are so soft hearted and romantic,
They won't play the game right.

They keep putting band-aids on Boo-Boos.
And; Saying, "No, please. You first."

No wonder they lost to The West.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:50 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:What makes this doubly ironic is that most Far Left Far Right groups have the opposite goals but the same methods (horseshoe theory).

I also quite like the Geo-libertarians who take the position that while you have the right to the fruits of your labor, your labor didn't make the land: ie, they hold that just because your granddad hammered 4 stakes into the ground around a patch of ground that doesn't mean that the iron and oil 200 meters down is the "fruits of your labor"

basically rather than just assigning natural resources and commons an owner like the traditional "i saw it first, that means it's mine" libertarians they rent their use to the highest bidder on the basis that since the things being auctioned do not belong to any individual(as it's not the fruits of anyones labour) everyone has as much claim on them.

Rather than actually owning land, the closest anyone has is long term leases. (like the 99 year leaseholds that you see in the UK a lot)

The money from renting out land etc can then be used to fund a state body and even some very basic level of income for citizens.
Under this model welfare isn't charity or an allowance, it's the share you're entitled to of the income from leasing out/selling things which are not the fruits of anyone's labour.

I don't know how well it would work in practice but philosophically it's a nice marriage of ideologies.

it also has a lot in common with Communism, a sort of market-based communism.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:42 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:So you don't really understand socialists, either...

That or my hardcore socialist professors didn't :p. Well that's what I read between the lines anyway. Because ultimately, all isms are social constructs, that people only adhere to as a means to an end.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:02 pm UTC

Hardcore socialist professors != most socialists.

Anyone defined as 'hardcore' pretty much isn't approaching their millieu with a view to a fair and reasonable end.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:11 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:So you don't really understand socialists, either...

That or my hardcore socialist professors didn't :p. Well that's what I read between the lines anyway. Because ultimately, all isms are social constructs, that people only adhere to as a means to an end.

You get significant variation in self-proclaimed socialists. You get even more variation in what others label as socialism, especially in the US, where it's sometimes used as an epithet.

A *lot* of ideologies have very similar end goals, they just have significant disagreement over how the world works, and thus, how to best acheive those goals. In an ideal world, we'd perhaps dispassionately study these disagreements, but in a heavily politicised environment, research can be subverted, etc, of course.

Libertarianism puts a lot of weight in wisdom of the masses as a decision making mechanism, since essentially, that's what the free market is. A prediction market is really just emulating the economy at a smaller scale. Some folks have more faith in other mechanisms, and disagrements arise over which mechanism is best in a given situation.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:32 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
You get significant variation in self-proclaimed socialists. You get even more variation in what others label as socialism, especially in the US, where it's sometimes used as an epithet.

Libertarianism puts a lot of weight in wisdom of the masses as a decision making mechanism,

since essentially, that's what the free market is.
A prediction market is really just emulating the economy at a smaller scale.
Some folks have more faith in other mechanisms, and disagreements arise over which mechanism is best in a given situation.

Everything you wrote after the statement:
Libertarianism puts a lot of weight in wisdom of the masses as a decision making mechanism.

is so unnecessary.
Where the Hell did you go to School??

We often listen to The Wisdom of The Ages.
We listen to The Quiet Wisdom from Within our Brothers and Sisters.
We listen to the Wisdom of Many, Many books and people and even Animals and Plants.

The fucking Masses are a Mob.
Mobs are Not now nor have they ever been Wise.

Mobs and The fucking Masses are to be Feared.
That's Anarchy. That's Captain Chaos.

That's Capricious and lacking Forethought.
We fucking don't do That!

Spoiler:
I don't. I try not to.
No one is perfect.

That's Why we need each other.

When you are weak, I'll be strong.
When I am weak, 'may I lean on you?'

Therefore; All in depth Political Analyze after the Enemy was Identified is Evangelicalism
...And, well...-Isms We all know about -isms.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:05 am UTC

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/busin ... f=business
Oil Exec claims only 10% of total wealth gained was due to his own skills or talents, 90% luck. The actual reason for such humility is of course money. The exwife wants half of his stuff in the divorce, and you can only claim it on assets that grew because of you. Not for passive stuff like inflation of land prices. Of course, how much luck plays a part in the success of the ultra wealthy is probably much higher than they would like to normally admit. Especially when they're claiming high taxes would discourage them.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:23 am UTC

sardia wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/business/are-ceos-that-talented-or-just-lucky.html?ref=business
Oil Exec claims only 10% of total wealth gained was due to his own skills or talents, 90% luck.

I don't know what to think about this.

On the one hand, I bet he told the company board he was underpaid because his "incredible skills" produced much, much more than that 100%.

On the other hand, what in the world is wrong with him that he didn't just say 0.0001%? It's not like he's being churlish, this is a matter of principle: the wh*** gets nothing, I tell you, nothing!
In all fairness...

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:31 pm UTC

The new Raspberry Pi models are camera-shy.
The latest version of Raspberry Pi's credit-card-sized budget computer reboots itself when exposed to camera flashes, users have found.

The glitch is a result of the "photoelectric effect" phenomenon.

Albert Einstein won a Nobel Prize for his discovery that if a light hits a component, it generates a charge. In the Pi this charge causes a roboot.

Raspberry Pi creator Eben Upton told the BBC the glitch was an "unintentional educational bonus".

"It's an interesting demonstration of the photoelectric effect," he said.

Mr Upton admitted that he had not been aware that the Pi would be sensitive to camera flashes, but that he was not too upset about it.

"If I had to pick a bug in the Raspberry Pi, excessive sensitivity to paparazzi is the one I would pick," he added.

"If this was destroying devices I would be less cheerful about it."

The company has received 300,000 orders for the new device since its launch last week.

"I have discovered that my Pi 2 is camera-shy!" posted a user called Peter O on a forum for Raspberry Pi owners.

Another poster suggested covering up the offending cells with Blu-Tack.

"That works," said Mr Upton.

"If you are intent on taking flash photos of your Pi, you can stick Blu-Tack on it."

"We have no real plans to fix it," he added.

"We might use a component with more optical screening in the future."

Detailed explanation from the manufacturer
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

Return to “News & Articles”