In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Dauric
Posts: 3755
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Dauric » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:21 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:
Dauric wrote:
Thesh wrote:
Quercus wrote:
morriswalters wrote:And on that note I give a truly creepy link.

Project Elysium wants to use VR to revive deceased loved ones

Uhhhh...that reads like it was lifted straight from the pages of a dystopian cyberpunk novel (in fact I would be willing to bet that dystopian cyberpunk has already been written which uses that exact premise).


Caprica did basically that.


Neuromancer (1984) by William Gibson. In order to break in to a secured data haven, the first 'job' the characters undertake is to steal a ROM module of the 'saved consciousness' of a hacker the main character learned his skills from.


Oooh, that's gone on the book list. I heard a dramatization of Burning Chrome on the radio and loved it. Thanks!


It's the first part of a trilogy, Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive are the other two.

Burning Chrome is also the name of an anthology by Gibson which includes the short story Burning Chrome. The other stories are also a good read.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 10130
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:25 pm UTC

KrytenKoro wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:Why wouldn't they have location?

In what way are parallel dimensions defined that they would meaningfully have location?

The only formulation of parallel dimensions that I've heard with MWI is that every outcome is represented -- thus, the universes would not be identical. In what meaningful way could you say that there are multiple universes with the exact same outcomes?


For many worlds, yes, that's the traditional usage. But, even if universes are non-identical, you would have identical human experiences in marginally non-identical universes. If you're seriously splitting universes for every quantum interaction(something that, I note, many worlds theory is a wee bit short on explaining the "how" of), does the entire universe still split when a quantum interaction happens so far away from earth that no living human will ever experience it?

If yes, then you have identical human experiences for the entire galaxy for this purpose.

Maybe they differ in time, with one universe taking place after another have ended.

That would be hardly different than saying one dimension is five feet below the other. Defining dimensions outside of a universe is kind of a meaningless concept, unless you're supposing a "sub-universe" that is more just a region within a larger, true universe, where the physical laws and constants are different (Calabi-Yau, etc.).


A dimension has two different uses in this context. Something being "in another dimension" in the sci-fi sort of way is understood to be somehow off over there. But dimensions in the world of physics are actually reasonably well defined. Yes, maybe there's another dimension(string theory explanations seem to involve buckets of them, always inaccessible), along which other universes can be found. Okay, sure. Why can't we label that like any of the currently known dimensions, including time?

If there's an alternate universe with different laws regarding whatever, I can't use those different laws here in this universe.

That would be different outcomes, then. You guys were talking about hypothetically separate universes with identical outcomes, which is very close to a non sequitor.[/quote]

You're only looking at Many Worlds as the only possibility. It isn't. Consider the old idea of a cyclical universe. The same events, repeated over and over again in an entirely deterministic fashion from big bang to big crunch. Now, yes, we know that this currently is unlikely, because it doesn't match inflation observations and such, but the idea that idential universes, save for location is not conceptually a thing is...not even historically correct.

I probably can't even travel to that universe, they're that distinct.

MWI claims you can't travel between universes anyway.


Well, yes, and universe hopping would be highly theoretical regardless, given that we cannot prove the existance of other universes yet to begin with, let alone figure out travel.

But you're fixated on Many Worlds. That is merely an interpretation. It is not proven fact, and you can't reasonably assume that things MUST work like x because Many Worlds doesn't include it. It's just a possible explanation with...not a lot of hard evidence for it.

Regardless of what particular system you use for labeling universes or visualizing the differences, they do end up being distinctly different entities.

Based on what? You guys are constructing this complex analogy based on comparing parallel dimensions to separate computers, and as far as I can tell it doesn't seem to jive even on a basic level with coherent formulations of the concept. Like, are you talking multiverses in the sense of MWI, in the Ultimate Ensemble sense that any universe that can be mathematically described is just as real as any other, or in the sense of branes, where our 3d+1 universe isn't really "real", it's just a "shadow" (or more accurately, hologram) of a higher-dimensional universe?


In theory, an omnipotent god could do any of those, yes? So the idea that he's constrained to only one by physics makes him...not omnipotent.

And if you're embracing a full on many worlds theorum where literally everything with any possibility ever is created, then god isn't really meaningfully acting in any sense other than as a universe producer. He isn't a "god" any more than the big bang is.

MWI may include every possibility, but it doesn't suppose that every describable thing ever occurs, or you'd end up with impossibilities like "a universe whose inhabitants have travelled to other universe" coexisting with "a universe which has never been visited by another universe's inhabitants" (It would also make magic significantly easier, since you could just "create" a universe with magic by describing it, then add to the story that the wizards come to your universe and make you one of them.) You still have to start with initial conditions, at least in the form of defining what is possible, even if you're going Ultimate Ensemble.


You're off on a tangent. Yes, it's "everything possible" not "everything both possible and impossible". That's not important. What's important is, you've got a "god" who does not actually do anything differentiable from physics.

It's like claiming that we stick to earth because god holds us down. Except when he doesn't. As determined by the law of gravity. At that point, "god" simply becomes a meaningless additional detail added to the explanation, and simply relying on the law of gravity is equally accurate and less complex.

morriswalters
Posts: 6898
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby morriswalters » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:18 pm UTC

I already own some of Gibson's stuff, I have to pay more attention to it.
KrytenKoro wrote:You guys are constructing this complex analogy based on comparing parallel dimensions to separate computers, and as far as I can tell it doesn't seem to jive even on a basic level with coherent formulations of the concept. Like, are you talking multiverses in the sense of MWI, in the Ultimate Ensemble sense that any universe that can be mathematically described is just as real as any other, or in the sense of branes, where our 3d+1 universe isn't really "real", it's just a "shadow" (or more accurately, hologram) of a higher-dimensional universe?
My apologies, I was actually poking fun at the idea. Language is useless for that concept. Just as useless as trying to describe God. Math may be able to describe some form of it, the rest is people twisting themselves into knots. There is too much noise or uncertainty in the exchange for it to be coherent. Just as the act of saying the any two pieces of data are identical is ridiculous. It fails on defining identical.

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Whizbang » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:36 am UTC


KrytenKoro
Posts: 1487
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:58 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby KrytenKoro » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:27 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:You're only looking at Many Worlds as the only possibility. It isn't.

If I'm understanding the SSC thing which started this discussion correctly, the setting being used is MWI. If you guys have brought in a different formulation of multiple universes which work in a completely different way, you really need to clarify that because otherwise you're trying to argue about the specifics of two entirely different things, and muddling the hell out of the analogy presented.

Consider the old idea of a cyclical universe. The same events, repeated over and over again in an entirely deterministic fashion from big bang to big crunch. Now, yes, we know that this currently is unlikely, because it doesn't match inflation observations and such, but the idea that idential universes, save for location is not conceptually a thing is...not even historically correct.

I shouldn't have to defend how an argument would function in a discredited theory.

In theory, an omnipotent god could do any of those, yes? So the idea that he's constrained to only one by physics makes him...not omnipotent.

That wasn't a question of what the hypothetical God can do, that was trying to get you to nail down what you're actually talking about, because people are borrowing qualities from multiple not-always-compatible formulations of parallel universes, and resulting in nonsense.

People want to add high-science flavor to their philosophizing, they need to actually talk about the science, not sci-fi.

You're off on a tangent. Yes, it's "everything possible" not "everything both possible and impossible". That's not important. What's important is, you've got a "god" who does not actually do anything differentiable from physics.

It's like claiming that we stick to earth because god holds us down. Except when he doesn't. As determined by the law of gravity. At that point, "god" simply becomes a meaningless additional detail added to the explanation, and simply relying on the law of gravity is equally accurate and less complex.

For predicting outcomes, yes, it would not be necessary to note the existence of God. But if we were assuming there is a God, and that MWI as you've described is the working of things, that still would give him the role of setting up the system. Deism, basically. If we're talking about how much of a role he has, assuming a priori he was there.

Now, there's (not currently discredited) theories about how to formulate descriptions of time and space so that they do not actually have a "beginning", so that there's no need for a First Cause and thus you can happily describe the universe without a Creator, but that's an entirely different kettle of fish.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:05 am UTC

Anyone watch the White House Correspondent's Dinner this year?

I thought the President's remarks were notably more biting than in previous years.

The man wasn't kidding when he said he had something that "rhymes with 'Bucket List'".

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5489
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:29 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Anyone watch the White House Correspondent's Dinner this year?

I thought the President's remarks were notably more biting than in previous years.

The man wasn't kidding when he said he had something that "rhymes with 'Bucket List'".


I can't believe he actually went through with the "Anger Interpreter". It was a great skit.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7543
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby phlip » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:12 am UTC

This story isn't particularly humorous, but the way it's being reported is...
Apple 'test' iPad stolen from a Cupertino home: Report wrote:A developer's worst nightmare took place in Cupertino, California earlier this month when an Apple iPad "test model" was stolen from a home during a robbery and kidnapping, reports the San Jose Mercury News.

The Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office said the iPad had not been recovered. "We are still investigating everything about this case," sheriff's spokesman Sgt. James Jensen told the Mercury News.

It is still not known what type of test model the iPad was and whether it was related to an upcoming product release.

Two robbers also stole other electronics, prescription drugs and $7,500 in cash. A 20-year-old man was also kidnapped, according to the report.

This isn't the first time an Apple product has been stolen before its public release. Five years ago, an Apple engineer left an iPhone 4 prototype in a bar, which was later found by two men and sold for $5,000.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Tirian
Posts: 1891
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Tirian » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:34 am UTC

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts ... kidnapping

The Merc does a better job of describing the crime. Guy finds girl through online ad, meets her in a coffee shop, goes back to her place, gets robbed, is forced into a car and driven 45 minutes away, and is released. So they technically committed the crime of kidnapping but it actually is a small part of the story since they let him go.

Since this guy took five days to get over his shame to go to the police and it wasn't the usual Apple SWAT team that took down the con artists, my guess is that they didn't get an unreleased iPad.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 10130
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:27 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:
Djehutynakht wrote:Anyone watch the White House Correspondent's Dinner this year?

I thought the President's remarks were notably more biting than in previous years.

The man wasn't kidding when he said he had something that "rhymes with 'Bucket List'".


I can't believe he actually went through with the "Anger Interpreter". It was a great skit.


I thought the actual execution was...mediocre at best. But the *idea* was frigging hilarious. So, mad props to whoever thought up that.

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5055
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:18 pm UTC

It's a somewhat regular bit on Key & Peele.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
mathmannix
Posts: 1401
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:12 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby mathmannix » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:54 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:It's a somewhat regular bit on Key & Peele.

Oh, that guy from Who's Line.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.


User avatar
pkcommando
Posts: 469
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:22 pm UTC
Location: Allston, MA

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby pkcommando » Fri May 01, 2015 11:30 am UTC

From the article:
"I will also replace the dinosaur with something else," Mr Gokcek says, although he hasn't given any clues as to what may come next.


I think the answer is obvious - robot vs dinosaur battle!
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri May 01, 2015 1:37 pm UTC



KnightExemplar
Posts: 5489
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun May 03, 2015 6:10 pm UTC

http://www.scribd.com/doc/263700043/Let ... nor-Abbott

Dear Governor Abbott:

Let me apologize in advance that your letter pandering to idiots who believe that US Navy Seals and other US military personnel are somehow a threat to be watched has left me livid. As a 16 year Republican member of the Texas House and a patriotic AMERICAN, I am horrified that I have to choose between the possibility that my Governor actually believes this stuff and the possibility that my Governor doesn't have the backbone to stand up to those who do. I'm not sure which is worse. As one of the remaining Republicans who actually believes in making decisions based on facts and evidence- you used to be a judge?- I am appalled that you would give credence to the nonsense mouthed by those who instead make decisions based on internet or radio shock jock driven hysteria. Is ther ANYBODY who is going to stand up to this radical nonsense that is cancer on our State and Party? It is alarming that our State Republican leadership is such that we must choose between DEGREES of demagoguery. I know that in my cases you are the better of the two demagogues (see the Lieutenant Governor driven nut job rant regarding your Pre-K program as a recent example). Having been there, I also know that politicians are not always able to speak their mind because they represent large groups of people and not just themselves. But this bone that you have thrown to those who believe that the U.S. Military is a threat to the State of Texas is an embarrassing distance beyond the pale. You are the Governor of Texas! This is an open request -- from a ghost of our State's recent Republican past -- that you act like it. Enough is enough. You have embarrassed and disappointed all Texans who are also informed, patriotic Americans. And it is important to rational governance that thinking Republicans call you out on it.

Sincerely,

Todd Smith


For some context: http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics ... a-takeover

Bravo good sir, Bravo. That's how you make a scathing open letter!
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
Dauric
Posts: 3755
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Dauric » Sun May 03, 2015 10:15 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:http://www.scribd.com/doc/263700043/Letter-to-Governor-Abbott

Dear Governor Abbott:

<snip>

Sincerely,

Todd Smith


For some context: http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics ... a-takeover

Bravo good sir, Bravo. That's how you make a scathing open letter!


Should have led off with the context for those of us outside the borders of this crazy (being in Colorado I hadn't heard about this until this post)

The TL:DR from the NPR article is that the Governor of Texas has marshaled the Texas State Guard to keep an eye on a Navy Seals training operation, because this operation is, according to various conspiracy theorists, a False Flag operation with the real intent of placing federal control over Texas, and placing Texas under martial law. The whole conspiracy theory includes train cars with shackles and ISIS terrorists being led by Mexican officials.

And apparently there's enough conspiracy crazy in Texas that the governor felt he needed to pander to that particular bloc.

I related this story to my roommate, a retired Marine, to which his response was "I thought -we- (Coloradans) were the ones who legalized marijuana".
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Adacore » Sun May 03, 2015 10:56 pm UTC


This isn't actually nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It's not entirely clear from the article, but it sounds like the only way to get behind the mirror is also from the women's bathroom, and it was originally designed as a funhouse trick style thing, where the lights would change when someone sat on the toilet, causing something (a fake monster) behind the 'mirror' to become visible. The owner lost the monster somehow, so now the trick room is empty.

Contrast to the other case this reminds me of from a year or so back - a bar where a 1-way mirror was installed between the mens' and womens' bathrooms, which was definitely creepy and inappropriate - and this doesn't actually seem too bad.

Tirian
Posts: 1891
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Tirian » Sun May 03, 2015 11:18 pm UTC

Yeah, except that in a world of upskirt photos there would be nothing difficult about someone being in that closet with a camcorder and locking the door behind them. This seems to be obvious to everyone in the story except the bar owner.

elasto
Posts: 3102
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby elasto » Sun May 03, 2015 11:49 pm UTC

Sure, but it's a bit like saying bittorrent should be banned: The fact that something could be abused isn't necessarily a good argument against its existence.

This is women spying on women here - which they can do already. It'd not exactly be hard for a woman to record other woman naked in a gym changing room - eg. by having a smartphone look through a hole in the side of a handbag. Much lower chance of getting caught doing that too - as compared to getting caught sitting behind this mirror.

HungryHobo
Posts: 1708
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:01 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby HungryHobo » Mon May 04, 2015 7:21 am UTC

Ya, apparently it's a horror-themed restraunt with lots of things like anamatronic monsters that lurch at you to shock you etc with a light up demon behind a 2-way mirror being pretty much par for the course.

Took a look at their facebook and it seems to have lots of locals telling people to calm down while lots of random offense-junkie types from the other side of the country are busy insulting everyone and screaming that it's all terrible.

There isn't even a keyhole in door of the closet inside the bathroom. (which of course people neglect to mention when waxing lyrical about people locking themselves inside to masterbate)

yes someone *could* use it for something pervy if they were brave enough to face the massive chance of getting caught but the explanation for it's existance checks out and we live in a world where you can get camera the size of a pin. Anyone wanting to perv could being doing so from 20 different angles at once without any such mirror.


As for some funny news:

Some female librarians heavily involved in social justice called a male librarian a sexual predator, going into lurid detail about how his offenses are so well known that “women attending library conferences have instituted a buddy system to protect themselves from him”.

He lost his job, he sued them for libel.

They blogged about how sexist it was to put the burden of proof on the accuser.

well... they recently admitted they made the allegations up.

Their supporters response was of course fair:

"Either Murphy deserves what he has gotten, or he is an unwitting player in a much bigger and more important struggle. If he really wants to be part of the solution, he should confess to committing sexual assault (whether he did it or he did not) so that he can help create a culture where women are not afraid to report rape, sexual violence and gendered insults"


yep
Last edited by HungryHobo on Mon May 04, 2015 3:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

KrytenKoro
Posts: 1487
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:58 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby KrytenKoro » Mon May 04, 2015 2:16 pm UTC

Reading into the details of the case, it seems like we have a librarian who prides himself on "hooking up at conferences", and a few attendant complaints from other librarians that they were harassed by him. The female librarians believed the complaints, probably aided by the guy's self-professed reputation, decided to call out this guy, and got sued by him in Canadian court (which has more stringent requirements on what you're allowed to say about someone without definitive proof, rather than simply having reason to believe it's true). They appear to be unable to demonstrate to the court's satisfaction (either due to lack of evidence or funds for legal defense) that he definitely did harass someone, and so are making either hasty or forced retractions.

Based on how they're phrasing the responses -- it really doesn't seem like they think he's innocent, or that they're saying they "made it all up". Elsewhere on the site, they committed to fighting these charges, as they believe the statements were "fair and truthful".

This appears to be very much a run-of-the-mill extracted apology, rather than any kind of lurid admission. I wouldn't hold the "admission" to be sincere in the least.

On May 3, 4 and 5, 2014, I posted tweets that referenced librarian Joe Murphy implying without a basis in fact that he was a sexual predator. These unsubstantiated statements gained wide attention and caused Mr. Murphy significant damage.

My intention in posting these tweets was to draw attention to the issue of sexual harassment of female librarians in the profession. My statements were made carelessly, and were not based on facts. I have never observed Mr. Murphy sexually harass or exhibit sexually predatory behavior. Ms. de Jesus
relied on my tweets for writing her blog post. My statements should have never been repeated as they were based on gossip and innuendo, not fact.


Looking at what "Team Harpy" wrote, it also doesn't seem like they accused him of any actual crimes, but simply of being a creep (which, per how they define it at least, seems like it should be fairly easy to establish from the statements the man has made on his own site). That he got fired for it was definitely wrong, but that should really be lain at the feet of his HR department. It's unfortunate that people believe he did something he apparently cannot be proven to have done.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

HungryHobo
Posts: 1708
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:01 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby HungryHobo » Mon May 04, 2015 6:11 pm UTC

it also doesn't seem like they accused him of any actual crimes


I guess that makes it perfectly fine then.

If they actually had a few people saying he'd done it then it would have been a really really easy case to defend. Phone up a couple of them and job done. Proof that they were honestly relaying the best information they had. Unfortunately those people didn't materialise.

Yes, canada sets the ridiculously high bar of putting the weight of evidence on the accuser, so if, for example I were to claim that KrytenKoro was a sexual predator and that all the kids in the neighbourhood had started buddying up whenever near his house then I would have to produce at least 2 kids who could confirm that they'd started buddying up for this reason- ie, that I wasn't lying or else he could sue me for making those claims.

In the US KrytenKoro would have zero recourse. I could call him a sexual predator all I wanted and it would be on him to both prove that he was not and to prove that I was saying it maliciously rather than just because of a vivid internal fantasy life.

though some of the tweets they were publishing may not have been great for them re: proving malice. for example:

“With added bonus: Rumour mill has reached me I’m apparently ruining Joe Murphy’s career. AHAHAHAHAHA…”

And of course if I do so publicly and convince a lot of people that the right thing to do is to call KrytenKoro's employers and scream at them for continuing to employ a "sexual predator" then I'd of course have no moral responsibility for whatever happens.

But anyway, the story isn't that unusual, it was the fanbases response of "he should have said he did it even if he didn't". Poeple aren't usually so direct.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

KrytenKoro
Posts: 1487
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:58 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby KrytenKoro » Mon May 04, 2015 9:41 pm UTC

I guess that makes it perfectly fine then.

No, it means that no one was accusing him of anything that was a firable offense, and he wasn't being falsely accused of any crimes. As such, the main reason he got fired seems to be because his HR department jumped the gun. If you had taken the time to finish that sentence, you'd see me saying that he should more be going after his HR department for unjust dismissal.

If they actually had a few people saying he'd done it then it would have been a really really easy case to defend. Phone up a couple of them and job done. Proof that they were honestly relaying the best information they had. Unfortunately those people didn't materialise.

That still wouldn't have been grounds. They would have had to prove that those accusations were accurate as well. Basically, Canada is much less friendly to call-out culture.

[Rather tiresome ad hominem]

Are you just trolling, then? I pointed out that the female librarians were pretty blatantly doing a court-ordered apology, rather than the "lolz we were just joking" you painted it as, and your response is "Kryten's totes a pedo?" Do you have no potential rebuttal beyond desparate, frenzied ad hominem? Nevermind the rather obvious moving of the goalposts from "legal responsibility" to "moral responsibility".

But anyway, the story isn't that unusual, it was the fanbases response of "he should have said he did it even if he didn't". Poeple aren't usually so direct.

Want to provide any sort of link that demonstrates this as an official position held by someone who matters, and not the normal sort of brainless bile we see from "both sides" in every youtube comment thread? Or are you just going to call me names again and laugh to yourself about how witty you are?

EDIT: I've actually found the post you were quoting. It's from an anonymous poster in a comments thread, claiming that "the truth is a political construct and not a factual one", and elsewhere claims that someone explaining that they were a victim of sexual abuse can't possibly be telling the truth if they claim that it matters whether Murphy was innocent, and that it is impossible for Murphy, or any man, to be simply innocent of abuse -- they must either admit to sexual abuse, or be considered an sexual abuser. Finally, that asking the witnesses to show up in court is "re-victimizing them", and that all the legal system needs is to know that these witnesses allegedly exist. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of a non-troll poster.

Oh, and that this is the only thing they've ever commented on with that account, apparently.

As for the actual article, it says quite a bit different than you did -- that Mr. Murphy was not fired, but let go at the end of an already existing contract (possibly explaining why Rabey found it ridiculous that he claimed she had ruined his career), that they admitted that they were wrong in their beliefs, not that they had been deliberately misleading people, and that they were responding to (and publicizing) existing complaints about Murphy.

In other words, the facts of the case were that they were too loud about getting on a bandwagon without doing due diligence. Nothing admirable, and they absolutely should apologize for it! But not anything like the "malicious feminists set out to falsely accuse a man of sexual abuse and ruin his life" that you initially described it as.
Last edited by KrytenKoro on Mon May 04, 2015 10:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

HungryHobo
Posts: 1708
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:01 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby HungryHobo » Mon May 04, 2015 10:00 pm UTC

At no point did I call you names. saying basically "would it be fair if someone called you a sexual predator and got you fired" isn't calling you names.

In your first reply you appeared to be taking the traditional "They're only being called names, it's no big deal LOL" approach.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

KrytenKoro
Posts: 1487
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:58 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby KrytenKoro » Mon May 04, 2015 10:04 pm UTC

HungryHobo wrote:At no point did I call you names. saying basically "would it be fair if someone called you a sexual predator and got you fired" isn't calling you names.

You're not a child. Don't pretend to be one. "I'm not touching you" is a child's excuse, and if you have any integrity you should know what kind of behavior is appropriate towards other people.

Since you were taking the traditional "They're only being called names, it's no big deal LOL" approach I was merely providing an illustrative example in the hope that for once in your life you'd attempt to see something from the point of view of someone in your outgroup.

You should learn to read more closely, though, because that is nothing like what I actually said.

It's also pretty sad that, even after I've explained it in the past, you still think I've never had to deal with adversity or being an outcast (or even, hell, being a casualty of callout culture. From feminists, even!). Protip: just because I don't immediately and rabidly side with the person you see as being bullied doesn't mean I don't understand what being bullied is.


Do you have any intention of discussing this news item seriously?
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

KnightExemplar
Posts: 5489
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue May 05, 2015 4:19 pm UTC

Erm... I'm of the opinion that this topic is more for humorous items, and less for serious discussion. I do think the topic deserves discussion: maybe a topic in Serious Business is better? Or at very least, in its own topic. The context of this topic makes it hard to discuss anything seriously IMO.

Moving back into the humorous direction: Microsoft is the first major company to give you the middle finger.

The latest update to Windows 10, the forthcoming operating system for its phones and personal computers, includes support for the middle finger emoji, according to Emojipedia. That makes Microsoft the first big tech company to allow the profane emoji onto its platform.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

User avatar
ahammel
My Little Cabbage
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 am UTC
Location: Vancouver BC
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby ahammel » Wed May 06, 2015 3:58 am UTC

Nonhumerous: Rachel Notley's NDP win a sizeable majority in the Alberta legislature. For the benefit of my American friends, I should explain that this is a shock something on the scale of Ralph Nader suddenly becoming the Governor of Texas.

I honestly don't know if they'll do a good job of running the province or not, but, speaking as somebody who grew up watching his elected representatives turn up at anti marriage equality demonstrations in between cruising to 70+% coronations, this is pretty goddamn exciting.

EDIT: coronations, not corporations.
Last edited by ahammel on Wed May 06, 2015 4:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

User avatar
ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:30 am UTC
Location: 19T402550 4830720 (NAD 83)

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby ivnja » Wed May 06, 2015 4:46 am UTC

ahammel wrote:For the benefit of my American friends, I should explain that this is a shock something on the scale of Ralph Nader suddenly becoming the Governor of Texas.
That certainly would be something, because his official place of residence is in Connecticut.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this all turns out. One of my best friends is from Calgary, and she sounds cautiously optimistic.
Hi you.
She(?!)

User avatar
ahammel
My Little Cabbage
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 am UTC
Location: Vancouver BC
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby ahammel » Wed May 06, 2015 4:52 am UTC

ivnja wrote:
ahammel wrote:For the benefit of my American friends, I should explain that this is a shock something on the scale of Ralph Nader suddenly becoming the Governor of Texas.
That certainly would be something, because his official place of residence is in Connecticut.
He could move. Or does have to be born there? Fucking America, how does it work?
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

User avatar
Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs
Posts: 5496
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:55 am UTC
Location: Colorado

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Thesh » Wed May 06, 2015 4:57 am UTC

Governors generally do not need to be born in that state. Hell, Arnold Schwarzenegger was governor of California and he was neither born here, nor born to American parents. Although, rules can vary on a state-by-state basis.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11262
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed May 06, 2015 8:31 am UTC

ahammel wrote:Nonhumerous: Rachel Notley's NDP win a sizeable majority in the Alberta legislature. For the benefit of my American friends, I should explain that this is a shock something on the scale of Ralph Nader suddenly becoming the Governor of Texas.

I woke up to my wife giggling insanely because of this news. It's kind of awesome.

User avatar
ahammel
My Little Cabbage
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 am UTC
Location: Vancouver BC
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby ahammel » Wed May 06, 2015 2:35 pm UTC

Other Alberta election surprises include an actual tie.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

User avatar
ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:30 am UTC
Location: 19T402550 4830720 (NAD 83)

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby ivnja » Wed May 06, 2015 2:50 pm UTC

In Texas, you have to be a state resident for 5 years (plus be 30 years old and a U.S. citizen). I was just poking fun, though. The analogy made me laugh quite a bit
Hi you.
She(?!)

Tyndmyr
Posts: 10130
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed May 06, 2015 4:20 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:
ivnja wrote:
ahammel wrote:For the benefit of my American friends, I should explain that this is a shock something on the scale of Ralph Nader suddenly becoming the Governor of Texas.
That certainly would be something, because his official place of residence is in Connecticut.
He could move. Or does have to be born there? Fucking America, how does it work?


It varies wildly, in accordance with ancient, arcane rules. My state's lore on the topic still makes references to dieties and such.

User avatar
WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No
Posts: 506
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby WibblyWobbly » Thu May 07, 2015 1:49 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
ahammel wrote:
ivnja wrote:
ahammel wrote:For the benefit of my American friends, I should explain that this is a shock something on the scale of Ralph Nader suddenly becoming the Governor of Texas.
That certainly would be something, because his official place of residence is in Connecticut.
He could move. Or does have to be born there? Fucking America, how does it work?


It varies wildly, in accordance with ancient, arcane rules. My state's lore on the topic still makes references to dieties and such.

"You may declare your candidacy for governor by performing the Dark Rite of Accession using the blood of a virgin, or ... (sinister cackle) OBTAINING THE SIGNATURES OF 3000 RESIDENTS ON THE DULY NOTARIZED PETITION FOR CANDIDACY! MWAHAHAHAHA!"

In Illinois, you fill out a questionnaire, asking hard hitting questions like "Have you ever been charged with or convicted of a felony?" and "Would you like to be?"

User avatar
Dauric
Posts: 3755
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Dauric » Thu May 07, 2015 2:04 pm UTC

WibblyWobbly wrote:"You may declare your candidacy for governor by performing the Dark Rite of Accession using the blood of a virgin, or ... (sinister cackle) OBTAINING THE SIGNATURES OF 3000 RESIDENTS ON THE DULY NOTARIZED PETITION FOR CANDIDACY! MWAHAHAHAHA!"


Getting the form dult notarized requires the blood of a virgin as well....

In Illinois, you fill out a questionnaire, asking hard hitting questions like "Have you ever been charged with or convicted of a felony?" and "Would you like to be?"


If so, what kind and how many? Please be as specific as possible.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

User avatar
PolakoVoador
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 pm UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu May 07, 2015 3:32 pm UTC

$1 billion disappears from Moldova, or roughly 15% of the coutry's GDP

"I cannot explain how one can steal such a large amount of money from such a small country," the EU representative in Moldova Pirkka Tapiola said recently.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu May 07, 2015 8:22 pm UTC

Bank robber caught--found to have posted threat note to instagram.


Honestly, I think he's a special type of stupid. I don't even understand his defense.


Alfonseca told WAVY-TV on Wednesday in a jailhouse interview that that asking for money isn't a crime and that he believes he'll be found innocent.

Alfonseca also told ABC News affiliate WVEC that he "didn't make a mistake" but that it was the bank teller who had by giving him the cash.

"For real, I felt like I got robbed 'cause they gave me the money," he said. "Then the police robbed my brain."


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests