In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Adacore

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Adacore » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:44 am UTC

I mean, it makes sense to me. Motorized vehicles aren't allowed on the pavement (sidewalk) unless they're mobility scooters for the disabled, and it's definitely not road-legal.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:03 am UTC

Mat wrote:apparently awesome modes of transport are illegal in the UK :(

...on the public highway. But yes, there are several vehicle types that are too powerful to use on footways but not suitably equipped to use on the road. Fit a Segway with mirrors, lights, and a number plate and you might get somewhere.
He/Him/His Image

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:31 pm UTC

speising wrote:why the fuck is this called "hoverboard", and why the reference to McFly, except because of the date?
The reference to McFly because of "hoverboard", more likely. Object to that name if you like, but it's already out there and already related to Back to the Future quite independently from the current year.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

speising

Postby speising » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:34 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
speising wrote:why the fuck is this called "hoverboard", and why the reference to McFly, except because of the date?
The reference to McFly because of "hoverboard", more likely. Object to that name if you like, but it's already out there and already related to Back to the Future quite independently from the current year.

I have nothing whatsoever against hoverboards, but that thing isn't one anymore than a segway.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:50 pm UTC

You might prefer the other name "swegway".
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

elasto

Postby elasto » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:01 pm UTC

A Manhattan human resources manager is suing her 12-year-old nephew for leaping into her arms when he welcomed her to his eighth birthday party.

The aunt, Jennifer Connell, claims her nephew acted unreasonably when his exuberant greeting caused her to fall and break her wrist in 2011, the Westport News reported from the courthouse on Monday. She is seeking $127,000 in damages from the boy, whose mother died last year. Westport News also reported that the 12-year-old appeared confused as he sat in the courtroom with his father.

Connell reportedly testified that she loves her nephew, whom she described as always being “very loving, sensitive” toward her. He had been riding his first two-wheeled bicycle around his home when Connell arrived. When she did, he dropped it, saying: “Auntie Jen, Auntie Jen!”

“I remember him shouting, ‘Auntie Jen, I love you,’ and there he was flying at me,” Connell reportedly testified.

Of the damage done, Connell testified that she did not complain at the time, but she said her life had been “very difficult” since the injury because of “how crowded it is in Manhattan”. “I was at a party recently, and it was difficult to hold my hors d’oeuvre plate,” she reportedly said.

link

Spoiler:
On a serious note though, and as noted in a comment under the article:

I assume that this is the only way that she can obtain money from the Public Liability insurance cover that I assume the father has. There was a guy talking on Radio 5 just the other day who had to sue a close friend for damages over a fall he had while staying with him. That was the only way he could get recompense for life changing injuries.

Mat

Postby Mat » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:44 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
You might prefer the other name "swegway".

sweg == swag? I am more confused than ever.

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:04 pm UTC

segway*
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:27 pm UTC

Summum ius, summa iniuria.

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:53 am UTC

Wow, I'm surprised he hasn't been attacked for a copyright claim.

It's a small segway with the handles built into the stand with a near identical name.

More like a smegway, am I right? ay ay :P
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:00 am UTC

I think it's just too new on the market; unless they got permission, I'm sure a trademark suit is on its way considering the similarity of the products.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:49 am UTC

krogoth wrote:More like a smegway, am I right? ay ay :P
That doesn't seem any better in terms of IP violation :P
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:46 am UTC

Has anyone ridden one of those things - are they really as unversatile and clunky as they look? At least a segway you can use pretty intuitively straight away. These things look like they actually need practice - in that case, why not just learn to rollerblade? Then you'll go faster, get fitter, and be able to manoeuvre better (and won't have to carry all 10kg of the thing when it inevitably runs out of battery).

I've just found out that lots of them come with bluetooth speakers built in, just so you can be extra annoying to those around you I guess.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:54 am UTC

I would play the first 15 seconds of this song on a loop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvcjsMDf2F0

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:16 pm UTC

I saw on of those last weekend, or maybe something similar(???). I was at Patriots Place (The shopping mall outside the stadium for the New England Patriots) and some guy went whizzing by on one. I was, like, "Wow! A Segway without handles! Neat!"

Now I know what it was.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:47 pm UTC

A few months ago I saw someone riding an electric unicycle. It looked like they built it themselves (in a good way).

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:07 pm UTC

Big Ben is chiming up to 6 seconds late, so they decided to review its condition. Which is poor: In addition to clockwork improvements which include, among other things, replacing the bearings that keep the minute hands from falling off, the tower needs extensive masonry work. It appears it will take as much as three years and £40-£60 million to set it aright.

Urgent repair work could silence London's landmark Big Ben clock

Wow. Big Ben, silent. 156 years...everything needs repair after a while.
In all fairness...

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:19 am UTC

Did they try turning it off and on again? That should allow it to sync up to the network for the time, at least that works for my phone when daylight savings comes. :P

dg61

Postby dg61 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:43 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:Big Ben is chiming up to 6 seconds late, so they decided to review its condition. Which is poor: In addition to clockwork improvements which include, among other things, replacing the bearings that keep the minute hands from falling off, the tower needs extensive masonry work. It appears it will take as much as three years and £40-£60 million to set it aright.

Urgent repair work could silence London's landmark Big Ben clock

Wow. Big Ben, silent. 156 years...everything needs repair after a while.

The whole Palace of Westminster needs renovation badly; it has a massive backlog of deferred maintenance and it's liable to cause serious damage to the quite historically important interiors and exteriors. There's talk that Parliament might have to use a different building for a few years while they do the renovations in order to speed them to a reasonable timeframe.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

This possibly belongs in the dark news thread, but, I dunno. It's just so ridiculous. (If true.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-34583416

White racists are calling for a boycott of Star Wars because... one of the actors in the forthcoming film is black. Presumably these same people refuse to watch any film with anyone in it who isn't white, because otherwise that would be inconsistent and irrational.

Some were even claiming there's a "white genocide". I don't know what these people think a genocide is, but it certainly isn't "not absolutely everyone in a popular film being the same colour as you, just the vast majority".

Then other people responded to them, arguing against them by pointing out that there have been black actors in Star Wars films before. Usually the non-racists are pointing out that the first film didn't really have any black people at all, so this is weird.

I'm sure these are a very tiny majority of people, but it boggles my mind to think there are people out there THAT racist and mental.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:47 pm UTC

ignoring the black actors in original star wars (lando, motherfuckingvader)....what about all the non-white-non humans.....do blue people not offend their sensibilities?
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:48 pm UTC

she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:49 pm UTC

DSenette wrote:ignoring the black actors in original star wars (lando, motherfuckingvader)....what about all the non-white-non humans.....do blue people not offend their sensibilities?

How do you KNOW those aliens weren't white on their world? Racist!

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:49 pm UTC

Indeed. Classic internet trolling on social media. Gotta give the troll props.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:07 pm UTC

Amplification by those who disagreed with the hashtag's aims was exactly what users like @DarklyEnlighten and @genophilia were banking on when they started flooding their timelines last night. Being as shocking and provocative as possible prompts responses, and that sort of engagement piques Twitter's algorithm's interest, giving rise to a "trending topic," regardless of the topic at hand.

Yeah, that makes sense. Although I wonder just how far from their genuine opinion the "white genocide" stuff was.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:39 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:
Amplification by those who disagreed with the hashtag's aims was exactly what users like @DarklyEnlighten and @genophilia were banking on when they started flooding their timelines last night. Being as shocking and provocative as possible prompts responses, and that sort of engagement piques Twitter's algorithm's interest, giving rise to a "trending topic," regardless of the topic at hand.

Yeah, that makes sense. Although I wonder just how far from their genuine opinion the "white genocide" stuff was.

I've heard that theaters are sold out months in advance. Perhaps it is a ploy to get people to not see it, so more tickets are available?

Though claiming that it is Jar-Jar Binks' backstory might work better.

/knows that the dark enlightenment is a thing

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:59 pm UTC

US condemns Iran for conducting ballistic missile test:
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0SF33820151021

US performs test of Minuteman III ICBM:
http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/t ... g-afb.aspx

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:49 am UTC

It's not hypocrisy when you have the moral high ground. It's not like the US is funding death squads around the world, allying itself with pedophiles, destablizing functioning liberal democracies, and... oh.

elasto

Postby elasto » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:04 am UTC

Be fair, CU. The US has a strict and competent chain of command concerning its missiles. It's not like it would send a barrage of them into a working hospital or anything.

Oh. Hmm.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:49 am UTC

elasto wrote:Be fair, CU. The US has a strict and competent chain of command concerning its missiles. It's not like it would send a barrage of them into a working hospital or anything.

Oh. Hmm.

The hospital was actually destroyed by a gunship, not with missiles.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:14 am UTC

And it was attacked due to poor intel, not malice. Supposedly.

Suzaku

Postby Suzaku » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:49 am UTC

Application of Hanlon's Razor would suggest that to actually be the case.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

elasto

Postby elasto » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:54 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:The hospital was actually destroyed by a gunship, not with missiles.

Ah. That's ok then. Good job it's different organisations with different chains of command that order gunship vs missile attacks.

Oh. Hmm.

CorruptUser wrote:And it was attacked due to poor intel, not malice. Supposedly.

Never said I thought the US was malicious. Though various members of it have shown somewhat 'elastic' morality when it comes to torturing innocent brown people for years on end.

Grop

Postby Grop » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:42 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:And it was attacked due to poor intel, not malice. Supposedly.

And whoever is an enemy of the US, is due to poor intel, not malice. They should know better.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:50 pm UTC

elasto wrote:

Never said I thought the US was malicious. Though various members of it have shown somewhat 'elastic' morality when it comes to torturing innocent brown people for years on end.

Why the focus on brown people? Greeks are pretty much the progenitors of white culture, yet the US had no problem supporting the Greek Junta in the 70's. And Serbs ain't brown either (as if no Serbs died in the Bosnian War). And many South American countries are whiter than most of the US, yet we've invaded every single one...

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:06 pm UTC

Greeks weren't always "white enough", nor were Serbs. As a rule, the further East you go from the UK, the less white enough you are, traditionally. Speak with any of the people that migrated to Australia in the 50s from Greece, Italy, or any of the countries in Central or Eastern Europe to verify this.
Many South American countries were first colonised by Spain, which means they were influenced by Spaniards, who also weren't always white enough either - I mean they have an entire region that was named by Muslims!
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:28 pm UTC

Remember when the Irish, the Germans, or the dirty Catholics weren't considered whites or even humans? Same thing here.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:19 am UTC

Remember that story a few weeks ago where a drug company was called out for raising the price of a no-longer-patented medication from $13.50/dose to $750/dose? Apparently a competitor has decided to pick up the same drug, priced at $1 per dose

jseah

Postby jseah » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:40 pm UTC

It stands to reason that if you jack the price up too much, you'll get undercut.

And in medicine, where R&D costs are huge, you can get undercut a lot. Especially if (in this case) the manufacturer doing the undercutting doesn't have to perform an equivalency test to satisfy FDA.
Stories:
Time is Like a River - consistent time travel to the hilt
A Hero's War
Tensei Simulator build 18 - A python RPG

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:47 pm UTC

in this particular case, the douchebro that jacked the price up exponentially was doing so on a drug that had gone off of the generic protection, so he neither had to pay for R&D nor any FDA qualifications as those had already been done by the original group that developed the medication
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

Return to “News & Articles”