In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

CorruptUser

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:31 pm UTC

Stupid hypothetical, but how disastrous would a burst in the Aswan dam be?

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:34 pm UTC

OK, I split off the nuclear thread. Next time, think about starting a new thread yourselves, when you're swamping the thread. You're ++++ing grownups, mostly.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:37 pm UTC

Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:46 pm UTC

I can't find the picture in the article and I don't want to search for it at work. Mind linking it directly?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:55 pm UTC

The one that is a guardian article doesn't have a picture. Here is the pic from the first article

Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:56 pm UTC

Wow. I am blind.

Thank you.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:00 pm UTC

For shame! That's something that should never be seen. I mean, could you imagine what would happen if a baby saw it, let alone touched it? Why, I'll bet nearly every mass murderer in history had been squeezed out a vagina while an infant!

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:05 pm UTC

Not Caesar.

Allegedly.
GNU Terry Pratchett

speising

Postby speising » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:13 pm UTC

Shakespeare wrote:     Despair thy charm,
And let the angel whom thou still hast served
Tell thee, Macduff was from his mother’s womb
Untimely ripped.
Last edited by speising on Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:21 pm UTC

Meanwhile, 98% of 76% of junior doctors vote for strike action. Wow. I can't see the government particularly working their way out of this one. I'm sure they'll make sure at least one strike happens and then blame the entire annual winter NHS problems on the strike, but still, I don't see how they're going to successfully impose anything.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:29 pm UTC

There were consultants in the handover meeting today asking for IT support and training on how to do TTOs/Discharge summaries.

We have never received 'training' - you get shown by one person, and then you just follow the template.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:51 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Stupid hypothetical, but how disastrous would a burst in the Aswan dam be?

Pretty bad

dg61

Postby dg61 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:55 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Stupid hypothetical, but how disastrous would a burst in the Aswan dam be?

Pretty bad

Very, very bad. Like, we're talking "Make Chernobyl look like a minor accident" bad>

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:04 am UTC

How long would it take to "fix" the "damage" in either case?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:09 am UTC

Guys. There's a thread now.
Zamfir wrote:
OK, I split off the nuclear thread. Next time, think about starting a new thread yourselves, when you're swamping the thread. You're ++++ing grownups, mostly.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:37 pm UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:Guys. There's a thread now.
Oops. Funny, threads sometimes look the same from the inside. :)
Spoiler:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:59 pm UTC

I'm hoping the RCN grows a backbone and strikes too. There's been a lot of pressure to decrease nurse staffing levels under the Tories current campaign to defund the NHS.
Combined with the government attempting to kill off in-progress research on safe staffing levels because they don't want embarrassing results.

Think it's bad when the junior doctors strike? I bet it takes days or weeks for them to come to the table.
In canada when the nursing union did a real full strike it took **7 minutes** for the government to come to the table.

But the union is too soft. They tend to refuse to strike because "oh but the poor patients" while ignoring that short-staffing is already killing patients.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:18 pm UTC

Time for a "gone fission" joke? Perhaps not.

I must confess that when I first saw Zamfir's message, I misread the subject + linking verb + adjective + predicate nominative + adverb combo of You're ++++ing grownups, mostly as subject + auxiliary verb + present participle + direct object + adverb. So I spent a few seconds wondering how the apparent paucity of pedophilia around here could possibly be relevant.

In other news of misunderstandings, check out the picture accompanying this article on breaking a tied vote by "drawing straws":

Democrat takes Mississippi House race by drawing straw

Really, UPI? A photo of a handful of bendy drinking straws, to illustrate how a tie between TWO candidates was broken? Wouldn't they just use two straws?

I'm a little stunned by the literality of using bendy drinking straws to "draw straws," too. Is this the way some people do it? I grew up on a ranch, with barns full of real straw, but my sisters and I always used toothpicks or matchsticks when we "drew straws" to decide stuff. Wikipedia is not much help.

At least the photo that UPI chose didn't show people sketching straw bales. Or ripping a necktie.

{Edited to say: I guess maybe I'm just old. My sisters and I played "Rock, Paper, Scissors" to amuse ourselves when we were bored, but we never used it to decide anything, as our kids do. We drew straws for that. Inconvenient, yes, but the inconvenience of the ritual added to the solemnity and authority of the outcome.]

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:50 pm UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:In other news of misunderstandings, check out the picture accompanying this article on breaking a tied vote by "drawing straws":

In Wyoming, for local office at least, it's done by drawing a slip from a hat. Seriously. I know because that's how the race between my Dad and another guy running for the same school board seat was decided (my Dad lost).
In all fairness...

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:44 pm UTC

Jonathan Pollard has been released on parole after serving 30 years of a life sentence. Pollard was convicted of espionage, which included the theft of huge numbers of classified documents, satellite imagery, and codebooks for American intelligence signals. This information was given to Israel in exchange for money and other perks. Pollard's sentence has been a sticking point between Israel and the United States, with successive Israeli governments demanding his release.

Pollard's parole conditions include wearing an ankle bracelet, having his computer access subject to search, and being unable to leave the country (and, in particular, travel to Israel) for at least five years.

As an interesting note of comparison, most federal prisoners, including the nearly 50% of the prison population serving time for drug crimes, are ineligible for parole at all, even if they are serving life sentences.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:02 pm UTC

https://thebadger14.wordpress.com/2015/ ... halloween/

Okay, I don't even know what the fuck is going on. What is "Shrieking Girl", why is it coming up now? Why are blogs beginning to dissect the issue? http://heterodoxacademy.org/2015/11/24/ ... gh-school/

I'm seeing a bit of discussion "on the right" I guess (I'll dub these "Men's Right Activists", for lack of a better term). So... anyone got another perspective on this issue? Something something, Halloween issues, gender inequality is all I'm getting right now. I feel like I'd want to understand the issue.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:11 pm UTC

I haven't been paying too much attention, but the story is vaguely something like this.

Girl wants college to ban "offensive" holloween costumes.
Dean's wife responds by email that he isn't the fucking fashion police.
Girl organizes campaign to get Dean fired.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:25 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I haven't been paying too much attention, but the story is vaguely something like this.

So, no. Jesus.

1) In response to a multitude of complaints they had been getting (not just about this but about general racism), the administration puts out an e-mail to please be respectful and consider (REALLY FUCKING IMPORTANT DISTINCTION HERE) not doing "offensive costumes" like blackface, feathered-native american, etc. Absolutely no penalties were proposed, nor were any bans ever mentioned.
2) The wife of the Master, who herself holds a similar position (with Master being a completely different role in charge of interfacing with students), aware of the complaints that had been made, takes time to put out an e-mail saying basically "it's not the administration's place to so much as hint that this kind of thing could be considered offensive or unacceptable; 'it's not our job'."
3) A large group of minority students get pissed at being patronized after finally getting someone to acknowledge that racism is -possibly- a problem, with one in particular shouting a clickbaitable soundbite.
4) Outrage media proceeds as normal, claiming the students are trying to turn the university into a crib, and criticizing the one student's family being wealthy despite the issue having nothing to with wealth disparity, and despite the administration in question being no slouches themselves (in what appears to be an accusation of being a class-traitor).
5) Hate speech fetishists Those who believe that free speech is meaningless without encouraging hate speech suck down the outrage media's version of events hook, line, and sinker.
6) This is all easily researchable by reading the damn e-mails instead of regurgitating the story the outrage media is telling.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:32 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:https://thebadger14.wordpress.com/2015/11/15/silliman-halloween/

Okay, I don't even know what the fuck is going on. What is "Shrieking Girl", why is it coming up now? Why are blogs beginning to dissect the issue? http://heterodoxacademy.org/2015/11/24/ ... gh-school/

I'm seeing a bit of discussion "on the right" I guess (I'll dub these "Men's Right Activists", for lack of a better term). So... anyone got another perspective on this issue? Something something, Halloween issues, gender inequality is all I'm getting right now. I feel like I'd want to understand the issue.

I'm not familiar with this particular episode. However, the general trend of late has been to be outraged at people who are themselves outraged at ridiculous things. I don't think there's ACTUALLY that many of the latter, it's just that they have a broader voice thanks to the internet and crap. So, one person grumbles about starbucks cups or something stupid, and for weeks, you get backlash everywhere.

The whole trend is really terrible. I'd advocate for apathy instead, but...well. Maybe later.

Link

Postby Link » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:01 pm UTC

Speaking of things going viral, how about going fungal for a change? (Warning: do not click the link if you're easily disgusted.)

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:29 pm UTC

$5 says it's fake.

KittenKaboodle

Postby KittenKaboodle » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:32 pm UTC

Link wrote:Speaking of things going viral, how about going fungal for a change? (Warning: do not click the link if you're easily disgusted.)

Forget clicking, don't even let your mouse pointer linger on the link. Still, sounds even more fake than it is disgusting. But I guess there is a reason that rule 34 is a "rule", not that this is in itself necessarily rule 34 material (I didn't click the link so I'm not sure), however the fact that rule 34 exists suggests that other stuff, such as this example, will also exist.

I wasn't sure that HuffPo wasn't the same as The Onion (and am even less sure after that link) but Wikipedia seems say that they at least have pretensions of being legitimate (Poe's law)
Now if I can just think of some way to work in Hitler, I'll have a trifecta of sorts

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:00 am UTC

There's no way in hell I'm clicking that link at work, but let me guess: San Francisco?
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:43 am UTC

KrytenKoro wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:I haven't been paying too much attention, but the story is vaguely something like this.

So, no. Jesus.

1) In response to a multitude of complaints they had been getting (not just about this but about general racism), the administration puts out an e-mail to please be respectful and consider (REALLY FUCKING IMPORTANT DISTINCTION HERE) not doing "offensive costumes" like blackface, feathered-native american, etc. Absolutely no penalties were proposed, nor were any bans ever mentioned.
2) The wife of the Master, who herself holds a similar position (with Master being a completely different role in charge of interfacing with students), aware of the complaints that had been made, takes time to put out an e-mail saying basically "it's not the administration's place to so much as hint that this kind of thing could be considered offensive or unacceptable; 'it's not our job'."
3) A large group of minority students get pissed at being patronized after finally getting someone to acknowledge that racism is -possibly- a problem, with one in particular shouting a clickbaitable soundbite.
4) Outrage media proceeds as normal, claiming the students are trying to turn the university into a crib, and criticizing the one student's family being wealthy despite the issue having nothing to with wealth disparity, and despite the administration in question being no slouches themselves (in what appears to be an accusation of being a class-traitor).
5) Hate speech fetishists Those who believe that free speech is meaningless without encouraging hate speech suck down the outrage media's version of events hook, line, and sinker.
6) This is all easily researchable by reading the damn e-mails instead of regurgitating the story the outrage media is telling.

First, the letter that started it, from Yale's Intercultural Affairs Committee. I understand this asTL;DRing to "do what you want, but please be respectful of others."

Then, Erika Christakis' response to some student complaints. This one's TL;DR would be "I understand the objections to these costumes, but you are not children and we will not treat you like children; if you have a problem with someone's costume, please talk to them about it rather than demanding intervention from authorities." This is not an unreasonable position.

Then the open letter responding to her letter. I find this one hard to summarize because I only just now read it, and the perspective behind it is too alien for my comprehension. It sounds, though, as if they are saying "intervention from the authorities is not intervention from the authorities when it is demanded by the people they hold authority over, we are not asking to be treated like children, we are asking you to stop coddling the insensitive". If someone could summarize it without using the language of social justice, my understanding would be improved immensely. I have difficulty with social justice speak because...it sounds very emotive and imprecise to me. I can't break it down into smaller pieces.

I understand the "historically marginalized" part. I'm very aware of history. But "marginalized" + "this is offensive" = "this requires authoritarian intervention" is...well, I don't get it.

As for 'hate speech fetishists', that must be a deliberate misconstrual of free speech supporters. Those of us who think free speech is really fucking important tend to believe that the only rational response to hate speech is more speech, rather than the use of force by authorities to silence it.
Last edited by Sheikh al-Majaneen on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:09 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:59 am UTC

Puppyclaws

Postby Puppyclaws » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:12 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:First, the letter that started it, from Yale's Intercultural Affairs Committee. I understand this asTL;DRing to "do what you want, but please be respectful of others."

Then, Erika Christakis' response to some student complaints. This one's TL;DR would be "I understand the objections to these costumes, but you are not children and we will not treat you like children; if you have a problem with someone's costume, please talk to them about it rather than demanding intervention from authorities." This is not an unreasonable position.

So, there is a serious problem in the interplay between these two letters which has not been taken at all seriously and is my huge problem with this. Letter 1: Please don't be dicks. Letter 2: Don't ask for intervention from authorities. You see, letter 2 is responding to something letter 1 never did and a position it does not take, and then dismissing that in fact some people are dicks and it is reasonable for people to tell them to please stop, including various members of campus staff who work on behalf of marginalized students, without threatening any punishment at all which has never been done ever in this entire fiasco. There is also no call for authoritarian intervention in Letter 3. It's "don't be dicks" restated again, more angrily because letter 2 was pretty dickish in the context of letter 1.

I understand the "historically marginalized" part. I'm very aware of history. But "marginalized" + "this is offensive" = "this requires authoritarian intervention" is...well, I don't get it.

As for 'hate speech fetishists', that must be a deliberate misconstrual of free speech supporters. Those of us who think free speech is really fucking important tend to believe that the only rational response to hate speech is more speech, rather than the use of force by authorities to silence it.

This is the thing: nobody involved in the debate wants free speech shut down or silenced or whatever. That is all in people's heads. Some people are requesting that other people not be dicks, with the only consequence threatened being "if you do that anyway it makes you a dick."

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:52 am UTC

After rereading the letters, you're right, and this all sounds fucking ridiculous, not that it didn't before. But I haven't watched the videos

I could have sworn I'd seen people actually advocating for silencing though, as well as studies showing a significant number of people believing that hate speech isn't covered under the first amendment. Maybe just not in this situation.

Puppyclaws

Postby Puppyclaws » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:20 am UTC

The allegedly damaging video shows a single student shouting at Christakis while a smattering of others look on in awe at the weirdness of the situation. But that is not silencing, that is free speech; the student is responding to Christakis' position. Anyway I have never heard of anyone calling for "silencing" whatever that would mean. I have heard of a vanishingly small number of students calling for the resignation of the Christakises, but the consequences of free speech (i.e. other people requesting you be fired because the thing you said is in direct conflict with your role on campus, which by the way I have not heard a single member of Yale faculty or staff support firing or censure in this case) are in themselves free speech if they are limited to the responses of individuals (as opposed to government intervention, which I still have heard no one propose in this case).

Some people undoubtedly believe that the first amendment does not protect hate speech (people believe all sorts of dumb things) but I'm not sure why that matters, since they are wrong and any competent judge will find against them in a case that raised this.

Link

Postby Link » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:57 am UTC

commodorejohn wrote:There's no way in hell I'm clicking that link at work, but let me guess: San Francisco?

UK, if I'm not mistaken. Yeah, best not click it at work.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:37 pm UTC

Puppyclaws wrote:The allegedly damaging video shows a single student shouting at Christakis while a smattering of others look on in awe at the weirdness of the situation. But that is not silencing, that is free speech; the student is responding to Christakis' position.
I've seen fights started in less civilized venues over behavior like that.

Puppyclaws

Postby Puppyclaws » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:57 pm UTC

Over an ~18 year old getting upset and kind of screaming / crying? That does sound a lot less civilized, yes.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:22 pm UTC

I'm sorry, what is being eighteen got to do with it? Is your implication that she isn't adult enough to reign in her outrage? Had the man she was talking to replied in kind what would have been the result? And yes, in my neighborhood doing that could start a fight.

Puppyclaws

Postby Puppyclaws » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:45 pm UTC

Yes actually, I don't expect people in their late teens and early twenties to be as likely to contain their emotions as older adults. I very much doubt a fight would have somehow come about if he had attempted to shout her down in response (the result would probably be an ugly unpleasant shouting match before two people walk away); I've seen plenty of heated arguments on college campuses in which both people raise their voice and I have never seen this become physical.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:02 pm UTC

I suspect he might have lost his job, but that is just a guess. It's the importance of the issue that leaves me laughing.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:12 pm UTC

Puppyclaws wrote:Some people undoubtedly believe that the first amendment does not protect hate speech (people believe all sorts of dumb things) but I'm not sure why that matters, since they are wrong and any competent judge will find against them in a case that raised this.

Well, it matters in the usual way that "people believing dumb crap" matters. They vote. They impact your lives. It's not really the only area, as you point out, but most disputes don't actually make it to a courtroom, I think. They get hashed out before that point. Which is fine...but it means that relying on going to court and getting a competent judge(and presumably being able to pay for good legal defense) isn't really all that great of a solution to anything.

It also seems mind boggling that this issue is worth this much focus. When I went to college, students had beefs, and the admin cheerfully dismissed their concerns without spending a ton of time on them basically all the time. Just...how things were. Maybe not perfect, but I certainly don't remember screaming matches. The only protesting I recall concerned the Iraq War. This all seems like...alright, just calm the hell down.

Return to “News & Articles”