In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

ucim

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby ucim » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:24 am UTC

morriswalters wrote: For Microsoft to make Gates a billionaire, IBM had to make a decision to create the PC platform without an OS.
Right. Gates was lucky. But lucky isn't enough - he was also smart, ruthless, and well placed. Billy didn't even write the OS that he licensed to IBM - he bought it from someone else. Innovation shminnovation.

Market power is the thing.

"Market power is powerful" is not a reason to agree with its output.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:14 am UTC

The mentality of replacing an old car by buying a shell and a shitty engine is environmentally insulting. The only reason old cars aren't illegal to drive is because they were grandfathered in. With the assumption that they would die off. The Ac business has similar shenanigans. The old atmosphere raping units aren't made any more but the parts are still made. In addition, grandfathered units are still legal. So what do cranky old people do? The replace the coils with the exact same parts then replace the rest of the unit. And like magic you have a brand new unit which emits just as much pollution as before but won't ever be upgraded to nonpolluting versions because it's grandfathered into the regulations as if it was the same unit.

That's why they say old cars should be banned.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:06 am UTC

sardia wrote:The mentality of replacing an old car by buying a shell and a shitty engine is environmentally insulting. The only reason old cars aren't illegal to drive is because they were grandfathered in. With the assumption that they would die off. The Ac business has similar shenanigans. The old atmosphere raping units aren't made any more but the parts are still made. In addition, grandfathered units are still legal. So what do cranky old people do? The replace the coils with the exact same parts then replace the rest of the unit. And like magic you have a brand new unit which emits just as much pollution as before but won't ever be upgraded to nonpolluting versions because it's grandfathered into the regulations as if it was the same unit.

You do realize that you are on some form of hallucinogen. Older cars die off pretty naturally since it costs more to repair than it does to replace eventually. The older the car the rarer and more valuable, and the less likely to be driven daily. And eventually no more bodies will be available at a reasonable cost, they don't make them any more. At some point there aren't going to be any VW shells available at any price. Nobody has a disk measuring contests about the efficiency of their AC units. And AC units don't emit at all directly, assuming that they don't leak. If people don't replace their AC units it's because they can't afford to.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:19 am UTC

sardia wrote:The mentality of replacing an old car by buying a shell and a shitty engine is environmentally insulting. The only reason old cars aren't illegal to drive is because they were grandfathered in. With the assumption that they would die off. The Ac business has similar shenanigans. The old atmosphere raping units aren't made any more but the parts are still made. In addition, grandfathered units are still legal. So what do cranky old people do? The replace the coils with the exact same parts then replace the rest of the unit. And like magic you have a brand new unit which emits just as much pollution as before but won't ever be upgraded to nonpolluting versions because it's grandfathered into the regulations as if it was the same unit.

Gosh, if I staked my self-worth on your assessment of my car I'd just be absolutely traumatized.

Happily, though, I don't give a shit.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:16 am UTC

Morris, of course freon smuggling and Ac fake replacements are about money. If it wasn't cheaper, nobody would do it. Nobody actually twirls a mustache while dumping toxic waste. Who told you it wasn't a Problem?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloroflu ... Regulation

John, don't be a dumbfuck. Of course you can not give a shit. Your posting because you want to share your nostalgia for a past that wasn't ever as good as you think. But I don't call you out on it because it's intellectually boring to yell at the guy on a soap box "nobody cares".

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:58 am UTC

Charming as ever.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:28 am UTC

Like I said John, that post is intellectually bankrupt. Btw, why didn't you just buy a newer car shell, and a newer engine? Is it not possible due to technological advances/complexity? Seems like a good way to get some sweat equity.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/you ... hing-else/
Your Valentine Is More Interested In Dinner And A Card Than Anything Else

Statistically, you should have a dinner and a card set for Valentines day, Maybe flowers, but the percentages start dropping like a rock between what a woman wants, vs what they actually get.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:54 am UTC

sardia wrote:Like I said John, that post is intellectually bankrupt. Btw, why didn't you just buy a newer car shell, and a newer engine? Is it not possible due to technological advances/complexity? Seems like a good way to get some sweat equity.

Um, because that would've cost me tens of thousands of dollars, as opposed to ~$2000?

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/your-valentine-is-more-interested-in-dinner-and-a-card-than-anything-else/
Your Valentine Is More Interested In Dinner And A Card Than Anything Else

Statistically, you should have a dinner and a card set for Valentines day, Maybe flowers, but the percentages start dropping like a rock between what a woman wants, vs what they actually get.

Okay, now I just feel like I'm trying to have a discussion with a bus-stop hobo, and he's getting pissy because I can't see that A is to B as camel is to broccoli. Or am I missing some obvious connetion here?
- Bjarne Stroustrup

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:18 am UTC

commodorejohn wrote:
sardia wrote:Like I said John, that post is intellectually bankrupt. Btw, why didn't you just buy a newer car shell, and a newer engine? Is it not possible due to technological advances/complexity? Seems like a good way to get some sweat equity.

Um, because that would've cost me tens of thousands of dollars, as opposed to ~$2000?

Also some people get pissed off about many of the newer cars that lock the owner out of doing maintenance through software.

Want to fix that trivial little thing wrong with your engine?
Sorry, you bought your car too recently and until you can plug an official licensed [brand name] diagnostic unit(available for the low low price of more than the cost of a car) into the cars computer it's going to sit there refusing to work.

I'm not a petrolhead myself but I think it's perfectly reasonable to rebel against that shit by sticking to older models.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:51 am UTC

commodorejohn wrote:Okay, now I just feel like I'm trying to have a discussion with a bus-stop hobo, and he's getting pissy because I can't see that A is to B as camel is to broccoli. Or am I missing some obvious connetion here?

This is the "other news" thread, he's posting a completely new story.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:33 pm UTC

sardia wrote:Morris, of course freon smuggling and Ac fake replacements are about money. If it wasn't cheaper, nobody would do it. Nobody actually twirls a mustache while dumping toxic waste. Who told you it wasn't a Problem?
Sure people cheat. But your attributions are all fucked up.
sardia wrote:So what do cranky old people do? The replace the coils with the exact same parts then replace the rest of the unit.
It's obvious that your knowledge is lacking. The AC unit is composed of three parts, not counting bit players like controls, of which the "coils" are two. And the two coils and the compressor are the most expensive parts of the machine. And the labor to replace them is expensive as well. And there are two kinds of cranky old people, those with financial resources and those who lack them. Those who can afford to put in a new unit with high efficiency do it, it's cheaper over the lifespan of the machine. And then there are the ones with lesser resources who repair. The fact that they are cranky old people has less to say about it then the financial attributes of the people making the decision.
HungryHobo wrote:Sorry, you bought your car too recently and until you can plug an official licensed [brand name] diagnostic unit(available for the low low price of more than the cost of a car) into the cars computer it's going to sit there refusing to work.
Well I don't think it bricks your car, I think the issue is that devices can't read the error codes, which are proprietary.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:55 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:Well I don't think it bricks your car, I think the issue is that devices can't read the error codes, which are proprietary.

I know there's been talk from manufacturers of a more direct form of lockout, but I'm not up on this enough to know whether it's been developed as such or made it into any production models. It certainly wouldn't surprise me considering the way every large company now seems to want to be its own little fiefdom complete with serfs.
- Bjarne Stroustrup

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:04 pm UTC

Morris, you're not suppose to "repair" your illegal AC unit so that it remains an illegal AC unit regardless of financial ability. It be like using a screen door as pollution scrubbers at a plant, and "repairing" them by getting new screen doors in order to keep your exemption. You're not suppose to do that, at all. I get it, it's more convenient, cheaper etc etc. First off, Freon is the high efficiency chemical, the units are being replaced are suppose to use chemicals that aren't as good but don't deplete the ozone layer. But sure, spirit of hard work and saving money. That's definitely a novel way to describe black market pollution.

Mutex wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:Okay, now I just feel like I'm trying to have a discussion with a bus-stop hobo, and he's getting pissy because I can't see that A is to B as camel is to broccoli. Or am I missing some obvious connetion here?

This is the "other news" thread, he's posting a completely new story.

Correct. John, not everything is about you.

RE: Car Software
Has anyone started coding open source versions like we do with our phones? It's definitely a problem with farm equipment. I remember farmers who weren't able to fix their own tractors due to the software.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:19 pm UTC

sardia wrote:Has anyone started coding open source versions like we do with our phones? It's definitely a problem with farm equipment. I remember farmers who weren't able to fix their own tractors due to the software.

I know manufacturers have been talking about needing legal backup to prevent precisely this thing, but again, I don't know if any such developments have actually taken place on either side.
- Bjarne Stroustrup

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:27 pm UTC

The FBI recently released a video game to educate kids on the recruitment techniques used by violent extremists. You play a goat avoiding blocks.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:59 pm UTC

I was going to join the conversation on old cars and AC, but this is clearly more important.

The first thing any player will notice are that games graphics are horrible. Your character is a goat. The only thing we know about him is that he is male (because he has horns); his objective and backstory are not given in any way. Virtually anything could be substituted for him and the game would not change in anyway. The obstacles are blocks of a single solid color, usually orange or purple, that cast a small shadow. That last detail will be important. Upon touching a block, the goat will explode in such a way as to bring back memories of the early Mortal Combat games. No reason is provided for why the goat has such an energetic reaction. The only elements that add scenery in anyway are alternating green and light green stripes on the ground and Minecraft style clouds. To the players dismay, the clouds are not transparent. In fact, they interfere with your attempts to dodge the blocks so much that they could almost be considered a secondary enemy. The clouds cast a slightly longer shadow than the blocks. The only other indication a player has that the clouds are not blocks is that the clouds move while the blocks do not. Any reasonable player can become confused and believe that the clouds are an advanced enemy, causing them to attempt to dodge both the blocks and the clouds. The controls are sloppy and lag. It is as if the goat is running on ice; whenever the player wishes to stop, they must hold the appropriate key for a while. At the end of each level, a single sentence is shown to the player. This sentence is identified as a form of "Distorted Logic" that an extremist group may use to recruit new members. However, everyone of these sentences would be true for a Jew in NAZI Germany. Fortunately, the game is only 6 levels long. Like many failed 'edutainment' games, the FBI latest project makes no attempt to connect the game play to the intended message. This demonstrates that the project leaders did not have a fundamental grasp on edutainment theory, or game design. This connection between the actions of the player and the information being given is the basis of all successful edutainment e.g. Oregon Trail series by MECC, Mouse Party series by the University of Utah, import turtle by Python. Overall, This game is one of the worst games I have ever heard of. It deserves its harsh rating of 6/10, because game reviewers do not know how scales work.
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:07 pm UTC

commodorejohn wrote:
sardia wrote:Has anyone started coding open source versions like we do with our phones? It's definitely a problem with farm equipment. I remember farmers who weren't able to fix their own tractors due to the software.

I know manufacturers have been talking about needing legal backup to prevent precisely this thing, but again, I don't know if any such developments have actually taken place on either side.

There are manufacturers who are for the customer not using their services? You mean the farmers are asking for that, right? For context, farmers own the tractor, but they only have a subscription to the John Deere software that runs the tractor. If a part breaks, the software demands you use John Deere repair procedures, or else it will refuse to run. Farmers can get a cheaper repair themselves, but that runs against the financial interests of the company, hence the software locking out the machine. Is that what you're talking about?

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:09 pm UTC

I guess they just told someone "You know some game to enforce our message would be good. Also you have about 2 days to get it done." "I have no idea how someting like that would look like. And that is way to little time." "I'm sure you will manage."

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:29 pm UTC

Played it. …Is it meant to criticize violent extremism or foreign policy? Cannot tell.
AVOID DISTORTED LOGIC:
Our group is under attack.

The enemy is responsible for this injustice.

We must defend our traditions.

The use of violence is the only way to defend our beliefs.

Our violent actions will result in a better future.

Awards the "Game Complete" screen regardless of success or death.

jewish_scientist wrote:It is as if the goat is running on ice; whenever the player wishes to stop, they must hold the appropriate key for a while.

Reflects the slippery slope, for better or worse. Fails to explain the burst of speed from prolonged movement, however.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:36 pm UTC

sardia wrote:Morris, you're not suppose to "repair" your illegal AC unit so that it remains an illegal AC unit regardless of financial ability. It be like using a screen door as pollution scrubbers at a plant, and "repairing" them by getting new screen doors in order to keep your exemption.
What is an illegal AC unit? You can repair your unit as long as you can get parts. Either your trolling me or you have even less knowledge of this than I thought you did.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:56 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:The FBI recently released a video game to educate kids on the recruitment techniques used by violent extremists. You play a goat avoiding blocks.

"Don't be their puppet. Be ours."
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:01 pm UTC

AVOID DISTORTED LOGIC:
Our group is under attack.

The enemy is responsible for this injustice.

We must defend our traditions.

The use of violence is the only way to defend our beliefs.

Our violent actions will result in a better future.

OK, so what happens if you ignore the American way there and join the terrorists instead?

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:05 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:
sardia wrote:Morris, you're not suppose to "repair" your illegal AC unit so that it remains an illegal AC unit regardless of financial ability. It be like using a screen door as pollution scrubbers at a plant, and "repairing" them by getting new screen doors in order to keep your exemption.
What is an illegal AC unit? You can repair your unit as long as you can get parts. Either your trolling me or you have even less knowledge of this than I thought you did.

No, you're just a asshole who didn't read the source I posted. Acting all high and mighty cuz you touched an AC unit once in your life.
There are current CFC smuggling issues, as recognized by the United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP) in a 2006 report titled "Illegal Trade in Ozone Depleting Substances". UNEP estimates that between 16,000–38,000 tonnes of CFCs passed through the black market in the mid-1990s. The report estimated between 7,000 and 14,000 tonnes of CFCs are smuggled annually into developing countries. Asian countries are those with the most smuggling; as of 2007, China, India and South Korea were found to account for around 70% of global CFC production,[9] South Korea later to ban CFC production in 2010.[10] Possible reasons for continued CFC smuggling were also examined: the report noted that many banned CFC producing products have long lifespans and continue to operate. The cost of replacing the equipment of these items is sometimes cheaper than outfitting them with a more ozone-friendly appliance.

Grop

Postby Grop » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:06 pm UTC

Well was that distorted logic the American way or the terrorists'?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:24 pm UTC

Grop wrote:Well was that distorted logic the American way or the terrorists'?

The complete text works for both.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:09 pm UTC

sardia wrote:No, you're just a asshole who didn't read the source I posted. Acting all high and mighty cuz you touched an AC unit once in your life.
No, I made my living doing it. And I'm certified to handle refrigerants. In the US no equipment is banned. The idea of dry shipping isn't particularly surprising, nor is it illegal. I told you that you can repair anything. The condenser units in question would be classified as a repair part. Historically they were shipped with refrigerant since it can be installed without additional steps such as pulling a vacuum. To work it has to be part of a system including an evaporator core and an air handler, which is usually a furnace. You wealthier folk often put in a new high efficiency furnace at the same time as a high SEER condenser. Poorer people sometimes have to make do with less. Which was my point. After 2020 the rise in price for R-22 will make condensers which are dry shipped a less attractive option and eventually they will die. I'm sorry the process is sloppy.

And of course I'm an asshole. I practice hard. I even have a pin for my hat that counts me a member of the Asshole of the month club. :twisted:

dg61

Postby dg61 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:18 pm UTC

It seems like both Sardia and morriswalters are correct-Sardia is talking about international bans and morriswalters is talking about regulations within the US. I personally would support a program of buying out the old units. This does seem to be more of an issue in developing countries though.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:11 am UTC

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... -the-rich/
New housing, these voices fear, will only turn affordable neighborhoods into unaffordable ones, attracting yet more wealth and accelerating the displacement of the poor. And so protestors rally against new market-rate apartments in Oakland. Politicians propose halting construction in San Francisco's Mission District.

Economists typically counter with a lesson about supply and demand: Increase the sheer amount of housing, and competition for it will fall, bringing down rents along the way to the benefit of everyone.

Key reasons is twofold.
First, supply and demand curves. More supply means that there are less rich people fighting middle class for houses. This results in less middle class people fighting poor people for housing.
Second, houses degrade in cost as time moves on. Yesterday's luxury housing is today's middle class housing, which will become tomorrow's poor housing.

I'm surprised that luxury>middle class>poor housing conversion happens. I just assumed that luxury houses stayed luxury or are torn down.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:19 am UTC

sardia wrote:No, you're just a asshole who didn't read the source I posted. Acting all high and mighty cuz you touched an AC unit once in your life.
sardia, you have to improve to your attitude to other posters

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:13 pm UTC

sardia wrote:I'm surprised that luxury>middle class>poor housing conversion happens. I just assumed that luxury houses stayed luxury or are torn down.

In my experience, it goes luxury > middle > lower middle > lower middle > lower middle > make way for condos!

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:15 pm UTC

Do you still want them to build new housing, even if it's for the rich?

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:57 pm UTC

sardia wrote:Do you still want them to build new housing, even if it's for the rich?

Considering San Franciscos fucked up housing market, any new homes will be only for the rich, almost by tautology. Only the rich can afford a new house in San Francisco.

That doesn't change the fact that as the rich move out of the condos and the tiny $4000/month apartments that the prices on condos / apartments will be driven down. Building housing is the only way for San Francisco to get out of the crap its in right now. Either that, or the VC bubble bust that is about to happen this year...
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:04 pm UTC

sardia wrote:Do you still want them to build new housing, even if it's for the rich?

Yes, but as a one-time designer of low-income housing, I think there needs to be some slight changes to how 'housing' is tied to 'the economy'.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:14 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Either that, or the VC bubble bust that is about to happen this year...

Speaking as someone who lives in the east bay, working in a non-tech industry, I do hope that bubble bursts soon. Because SF is so expensive, Oakland is now the 4th most expensive rental market in the country, and I'm currently locked into my current place. Due to the combination of rent control and continuingly increasing prices, if I wanted to move, I would be taking a hit in quality of home (size/location/etc) for the same price-point.

TL;DL: Screw this bubble.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:28 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:

Yes, but as a one-time designer of low-income housing, I think there needs to be some slight changes to how 'housing' is tied to 'the economy'.

Can you elaborate on that? I think you're talking about rent controlled housing?

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:45 pm UTC

That's just how it's going to work. If the demand is high enough, well, the asking prices are going to be high.

But more supply definitely helps. At a minimum, it can keep the problem from getting worse. But, if you don't build houses for the wealthy, they gotta live somewhere. Mostly, this means gentrification. You can't fix housing shortages by NOT building housing.

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:07 am UTC

You're right, but there's a big movement from people who are opposed to building bigass apartment buildings. It's a real shame that they are exacerbating the situation

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... -100-bill/
TLDR: $100 bills main use is for crime, we should stop printing them. Electronic banking will deal with the rest.

I agree, note how the only country in the EU that supports big bills (500 euro etc etc,) is Luxembourg, a country that has a sizable lobbying group of illicit traders.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:10 am UTC

Speaking as someone who very much appreciates the ability to carry a certain number of $100 bills rather than twice that number of $50s when, say, buying a musical instrument, that's malarkey. Online banking is all very shiny and futurey, but somebody has to eat those PayPal transaction fees, and unless you're on eBay it's certainly not going to be the seller.
- Bjarne Stroustrup

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:37 am UTC

commodorejohn wrote:Speaking as someone who very much appreciates the ability to carry a certain number of $100 bills rather than twice that number of $50s when, say, buying a musical instrument, that's malarkey. Online banking is all very shiny and futurey, but somebody has to eat those PayPal transaction fees, and unless you're on eBay it's certainly not going to be the seller.

I don't suppose both parties paid the relevant taxes on that sale that was so big that you needed $100 bills to carry it inconspicuously? On big stuff, I usually do a credit card>electronic transfers>cash>check>blood diamonds in order of convenience.

If you're curious why the US cares, somewhat related examples below.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016 ... dents.html
It's kinda funny, the US actually doesn't know what to do with the money it seizes. It's suppose to go back to the victim's but "The government says it wants to repatriate the money to Nigeria. Several years ago, Switzerland returned tens of millions in this money to Nigeria for health, education and welfare programs, and it was never seen again. "

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:35 am UTC

commodorejohn wrote:Speaking as someone who very much appreciates the ability to carry a certain number of $100 bills rather than twice that number of $50s when, say, buying a musical instrument, that's malarkey. Online banking is all very shiny and futurey, but somebody has to eat those PayPal transaction fees, and unless you're on eBay it's certainly not going to be the seller.

Dwolla has absolutely no fees for anything because it is built on top of the ACH network. Of course, the ACH network is slow: it takes about 3 or 4 days before a transaction is complete, but its completely free and secure.

Just saying. I know its not very popular yet, but the ACH network (which is typically used for direct-deposits between an employer and their employees) are an example of fee-less cash transfers that occur all over this country. The ACH network is moving towards one-day payments, but the standardization process is a bit slow.

And yes Europeans, you can laugh at the US's antiquated banking system now.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Return to “News & Articles”