In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Coyne

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Coyne » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:15 pm UTC

Rocketry: it be hard!

speising wrote:A test, not takeoff. I love how they call a giant pillar of fire an "anomaly". I certainly hope that's not SOP!

Comes from NASA. Challenger was called an anomaly early on.

commodorejohn wrote:I'd feel sorrier for them if the payload hadn't been part of Zuckerberg's scheme to take over the Internet in developing nations. As is, since nobody was hurt, I feel a little glib :)

Oh, wow. Cue sabotage conspiracy theorists.
In all fairness...

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:46 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:I'd feel sorrier for them if the payload hadn't been part of Zuckerberg's scheme to take over the Internet in developing nations. As is, since nobody was hurt, I feel a little glib :)

Oh, wow. Cue sabotage conspiracy theorists.

I'm already seeing people saying that this was an Israeli plot to... I don't even know. I stop reading at that point. But conspiracy theorists are already all over this.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:52 pm UTC

Exit the vampires' castle.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:32 pm UTC

Ha!

“It was just a stupid prank that he did that’s now turning into this; it’s stupid,” his mother told WPTV. “He’s a prankster. He does stuff like this because he thinks it’s funny.”

He's not the only one.

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:09 am UTC

After being humiliated for resorting to using broomsticks painted black as machine guns, the under resourced German army brought back conscription. My favorite part is the major supporters are people too old to actually be drafted.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... g-it-back/
In Europe, public opinion long appeared to develop similarly, as conscription was abandoned in France in 1996, followed by Italy, Sweden and Germany.

But more recently, many Europeans — especially those who are now too old to be drafted — have changed their minds on the issue. Following terrorist attacks last year, 80 percent of all French and 70 percent of Swedes said they would support a return of conscription.Germany's military was so under-equipped in 2015 that it used broomsticks instead of machine guns in a NATO exercise, drawing widespread ridicule. But Germany is far from being the only E.U. country that has been criticized for not spending enough on its military.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:28 am UTC

the under resourced German army brought back conscription.

No? They abolished conscription just a few years ago, there's no sign of bringing it back.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:48 am UTC

Yeah as the article says
In Germany, only 36 percent currently support a reintroduction of conscription, but the fact that the issue is back in the public spotlight is surprising enough to many observers.
there is no majority for it at this point. And the broomstick things isn't brought up as argument for it (why would it be?) the next lines are:
The lack of funding might raise uncomfortable questions for those seeking a reintroduction of mandatory military service. How would Germany and other countries accommodate hundreds of thousands of new conscripts if they cannot even provide equipment to the increasingly few soldiers they currently have?

Equipment shortages aren't solved by more people.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:54 am UTC

Seems the courts have ruled against the people suing the Aurora theater where James Holmes killed 12 people back in 2012. And it seems the remaining plaintiffs now owe $700 000 in court fees to the cinema company.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -fees.html

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:16 am UTC

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/03/scien ... efits.html
Turns out fancy soap was just a big marketing scam. You were essentially paying extra to pollute the planet and poison the land.
“It has boggled my mind why we were clinging to these compounds, and now that they are gone I feel liberated,” said Rolf Halden, a scientist at the Biodesign Institute at Arizona State University, who has been tracking the issue for years. “They had absolutely no benefit but we kept them buzzing around us everywhere. They are in breast milk, in urine, in blood, in babies just born, in dust, in water.”

The agency first proposed the rule in 2013, when it told companies that unless they could prove that chemicals like triclosan and triclocarban did more good than harm, they would have to remove the products that contained them from the market. On Friday, the agency said that it was not convinced.
The F.D.A. has given industry more time to prove that an additional three chemicals are safe and effective — benzalkonium chloride, benzethonium chloride and chloroxylenol. Products with those chemicals can stay on the market for now.

TLDR Just buy basic generic soap, there's no point in buying antibacterial anything.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:48 am UTC

Chen wrote:Seems the courts have ruled against the people suing the Aurora theater where James Holmes killed 12 people back in 2012. And it seems the remaining plaintiffs now owe $700 000 in court fees to the cinema company.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -fees.html

I don't see how this is humorous or otherwise noteworthy? You bring stupid, frivolous lawsuits, you pay for court costs. Seems fair to me.

And god that article was terrible. Completely irrelevant full sized photos breaking up the text every few lines. And the text was very short, but still managed to repeat itself several times.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:24 am UTC

Diadem wrote:
Chen wrote:www.dailymail.co.uk
And god that article was terrible.
https://youtu.be/h4MhbkWJzKk?t=15
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:02 pm UTC

Linking to a 15 minute video as your only response is just rude, especially if at first glance the video is entirely unrelated to the subject at hand.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:39 pm UTC

Spoilered by Zamfir. @ Sabreagle: think about others before you spam such a huge wall of text into a thread.
Spoiler:
Transcript of 58 seconds from that link:

Ben Goldacre:
So, I'm a doctor but I kind of slipped sideways into research and now I'm an epidemiologist, and nobody really knows what epidemiology is. Epidemiology is the science of how we know in the real world if something is good for you or bad for you, and it's best understood through example, as the science of those crazy, wacky newspaper headlines, and these are just some of the examples.

On screen:

Code: Select all

The Daily Mail Project
Cause cancer
Divorce
Wi-Fi
Toiletries
Coffee

Ben Goldacre:
These are from the Daily Mail. Every country in the world has a newspaper like this. It has this kind of bizarre, ongoing, philosophical project of dividing all the inanimate objects in the world, really, into the ones that either cause or prevent cancer. So here are some of the things they've said cause cancer recently: divorce, wi-fi, toiletries and coffee.

On screen:

The Daily Mail Project
Cause cancer        Prevent cancer
Divorce             Crusts
Wi-Fi               Red pepper
Toiletries          Liquorice
Coffee              Coffee

Ben Goldacre:
Here are some of the things they say prevent cancer: crusts, red pepper, liquorice and coffee, so already you can see there are contradictions here. Coffee both causes and prevents cancer, and as you start to read on you can see that maybe there's some kind of political valence behind some of this ...

On screen:

"Housework prevents breast cancer"

Ben Goldacre:
... so for women housework prevents breast cancer ...

On screen:

"Shopping could make men impotent"

Ben Goldacre:
... but for men, shopping could make you impotent.

Does that make it any more clear?

Here are some other Google search results pertaining to the Daily Mail:

Daily Mail

The Daily Mail (aka, Hate Mail, Daily Fail, Daily Heil, Daily Moan, Crazy Mail and so on), is a reactionary, neo-fascist tabloid rag masquerading as a "traditional values," middle-class newspaper that is, in many ways, the second-worst of the British gutter press (only Rupert Murdoch's Sun is worse). Its weighty Sunday counterpart is the Mail on Sunday.

The Daily Mail is to the U.K. what the New York Post is to the United States, and what the Drudge Report is to the Internet: to whit, gossipy tabloid "journalism" for those who cannot digest serious news, with a flippantly wingnut editorial stance. The Daily Mail is notable among British tabloids for rejecting the standard red-top banner in order to try to appear more upmarket and respectable, although it does sometimes go in for the full front-page picture or headline characteristic of the populist rags. It is also notorious for its frequent harassment of individuals, campaigns of hate directed at various minorities (lately focusing on Muslims), and willfully deceiving and lying to its readers.

Although some of the red-top tabloids might throw about more extreme rhetoric, their laddish attitude often means they're not taken too seriously - the Mail, however, is entirely Serious Business. Their primary editorial stances are:

Anti-immigration
Anti-welfare and poor people in general
Health sensationalism (particularly with respect to cancer)
Anti–government
Anti-LGBT
Anti-Europe
Anti-human rights because human rights only protect the obviously guilty and/or paedophiles or darkies.
Anti-politics because the Mail's views are not politics, but just common sense.
Anti-internet and other modern technology ('Facebook kills our children')
Anti-taxes (mainly for those who can afford to pay them)
Anti-intellectualism ('what do they know?) including academics, experts (including doctors); indeed anyone with an "-ology."
Anti-lawyers, especially those who defend the enemies of the Daily Mail State.
Anti-liberal (not realising that the opposite of liberalism - (with a small 'l') is not Conservatism but totalitarianism/fascism)
Pro-objectification of women
Declinism about UK life, the economy, etc.
Pro-complaining about anything and everything they don't like
Claiming that political changes were because of their campaigns

Daily Mail

The Daily Mail is a hugely popular British comic for those who believe themselves (usually mistakenly) to be members of the middle classes. In 2010, it was also the UK's best selling brand of toilet paper. It is owned by DMG Media, the same media group responsible for the Fail on Sunday and The Metro. A pair of rose-tinted spectacles must be worn to read articles in the Daily Mail, which describe how everything was great in the 1950s before the Islamic Conquest and the introduction of drugs, fat women, asylum seekers, paedophiles, Jonathan Ross, Russell Brand, the homeless, Brown people and the invention of sex made daily life intolerable for the conservative middle-class Chelsea tractor driving mums and retired army colonels that inhabit these sceptred isles.

The Mail was first issued on 4 May 1896. The headline on the first edition was 'The British Union of Fascists: Our Patriotic Angels!'. The present editor is Paul Dacre, known for his sweet, engaging personality and anti-swearing policy.[1]

More recent additions to the Mail line-up include the side-splitting shenanigans of London taxi driver Richard Littlejohn, with his world-famous witticisms, including "British women married to Iraqis should be left to rot in their adopted country, with their hideous husbands and their unattractive terrorist children" and "Does anyone really give a monkey's about what happens in Rwanda? If the Mbongo tribe wants to wipe out the Mbingo tribe and eat their brains then as far as I am concerned that is entirely a matter for them".

Any Daily Mail headline phrased as a question can always be answered with the word 'No'. Hence 'Did Dragons Once Roam This Sceptred Isle?', 'Are we ruled by a Gay Mafia?' and 'Does food give you cancer?'

A first issue of The Daily Mail sold for £1 on 16 March 2004, which was, at the time, the lowest price ever paid for chip wrapping-paper at auction (its use as chip wrapping has long been banned, as people complained it made the chips taste of bile and hate).

During the 1930s the Daily Mail briefly supported the Blackshirts and Nazis before they realised the former were too moderate while the latter were German and therefore European. Nowadays the paper campaigns against abortion of heterosexual foetuses, while also maintaining the entirely logical and consistent position of demanding the withdrawal of welfare payments to fallen women to support their unwanted bastards.

The Daily Mail often gives away free DVDs and is much cheaper than almost every other toilet paper.

Support of fascism

Lord Rothermere was a friend of Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler, and directed the Mail's editorial stance towards them in the early 1930s. Rothermere's 1933 leader "Youth Triumphant" praised the new Nazi regime's accomplishments, and was subsequently used as propaganda by them. In it, Rothermere predicted that "The minor misdeeds of individual Nazis would be submerged by the immense benefits the new regime is already bestowing upon Germany". Journalist John Simpson, in a book on journalism, suggested that Rothermere was referring to the violence against Jews and Communists rather than the detention of political prisoners.

Rothermere and the Mail were also editorially sympathetic to Oswald Mosley and the British Union of Fascists. Rothermere wrote an article titled "Hurrah for the Blackshirts" in January 1934, praising Mosley for his "sound, commonsense, Conservative doctrine", and pointing out that: "Young men may join the British Union of Fascists by writing to the Headquarters, King's Road, Chelsea, London, S.W."

The Spectator condemned Rothermere's article commenting that, "...the Blackshirts, like the Daily Mail, appeal to people unaccustomed to thinking. The average Daily Mail reader is a potential Blackshirt ready made. When Lord Rothermere tells his clientele to go and join the Fascists some of them pretty certainly will."

The paper's support ended after violence at a BUF rally in Kensington Olympia in June 1934. Mosley and many others thought Rothermere had responded to pressure from Jewish businessmen who it was believed had threatened to stop advertising in the paper if it continued to back an anti-Semitic party. The paper nonetheless continued to oppose the arrival of Jewish refugees escaping Germany, describing their arrival as "a problem to which the Daily Mail has repeatedly pointed."

Paul Dacre: the most dangerous man in Britain?

It is a paper of the middle class, in particular the suburban and southern varieties. As these people have grown more numerous and politically potent, it has flattered their aspirations and crystallised their fears, helped form their values and fanned their discontents.

The intricacy of this to-and-fro can be gauged by the closeness of Mail readers to the newspaper's ideal: they are more likely to be married than the general population; more likely to own property; to have two or more cars; to vote Conservative. Yet only half of them do so habitually. The rest form the largest concentration of "swing voters", assumed to decide modern general elections, who can be reached through a single newspaper.

However, to a slightly different sort of person - British liberals, leftwingers, anyone it has ever persecuted - the paper is not affirming but an affront. "I stopped taking the Mail at the start of this year because it was bad for me," says one Labour MP who is attacked almost weekly. Mail reporters have repeatedly telephoned this politician's children. The MP has written to the paper with complaints and factual corrections, which "they never publish". One received this written response from a senior executive: "You are a hypocrite." When a complaint is posted now, "My stomach turns to water at what they are going to do to me for retaliating."

Last September's protests against petrol taxes, which had been revved up by Mail editorials for months, became a people's crusade and not special pleading by the polluting classes. As for Europe, the family, equal rights for gay people, the rise of crime or otherwise - each of these complex issues has been successfully simplified by the paper into a question of identity or morality, where the Mail is famously comfortable, rather than economics or history or sociology, where its rightwing certainties would come up against awkward facts.

Earlier this month, one of its columnists, Simon Heffer, predicted that continued Labour rule would lead to 14m illegal immigrants in Britain, almost half the country's military personnel being disabled people, and "girls of nine" receiving "the morning-after pill from school dinner ladies". One of Blair's closest advisors concludes: "The Mail have gone into kill mode."

Under the heading "Touchstone Issues", Blair said his government should please "gut British instinct" by being "tough" on teenage criminals and asylum seekers, respecting the family more, and better understanding people such as the imprisoned Norfolk farmer Tony Martin who defended their property by force. All these points had been specifically raised, in a similar order, in a Mail editorial.

Dacre's opinions, according to everyone I spoke to, dominate the Mail's worldview - and are becoming more definite. "He deals with everything at the level of emotion," says someone who knows him well. "He thinks politics is basically common sense. He can't understand why people would disagree with him."

Dacre's instincts are steered by a simple morality. There are good people and bad people in the world. The good people are self-reliant, traditional in their beliefs, suspicious of officialdom, and want to better themselves. They generally work in the private sector. They are middle class, or would like to be. They are conservatives with a small 'c'.

Once Dacre's wishes have been disseminated - or, often, in advance of that - the journalists will know what is required. "You kind of know what the obsessions are," says one who recently left the paper. "And you very much know you've got to do a story in a specific way." This polemic-driven approach can have unintended consequences: "Dacre will express some random opinion, and forget about it," says another ex-reporter. "It will dominate the paper for days."

A banker, a Daily Mail reader and a benefit claimant ...
A banker, a Daily Mail reader and a benefit claimant are sat at a table. On a plate in the middle are 12 biscuits. The banker takes 11 biscuits for himself, then turns to the Daily Mail reader and says – “watch out for that benefit claimant, he’s after your biscuit”

Daily Mail-o-matic

It’s that simple – this gives you a new Daily Mail headline every time you click the button. Guaranteed not to give you cancer or affect your house prices.

COULD DUMBING-DOWN HURT HARD-WORKING FAMILIES?

HAS THE METRIC SYSTEM MOLESTED YOUR MORTGAGE?

WILL HEALTH & SAFETY DEFRAUD BRITISH JUSTICE?

WILL TEACHERS MAKE BRITISH SOVEREIGNTY OBESE?

HAS THE BBC SCROUNGED OFF YOUR DAUGHTERS?

WILL THE METRIC SYSTEM HURT THE MIDDLE CLASS?

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:45 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:
Spoiler:
lots of things

TL;DR: the Daily Mail is shit
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:56 am UTC

When I was younger I did not hear about all the crazy stuff that happens in Florida, so I started associating it with retirement homes and old people. Now all the crazy stuff is extra funny for me.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:30 am UTC

It isn't actually that stuff's crazier in Florida, it's that the police are obligated to provide information to news agencies even when an investigation is going on, so rumors can be checked a lot more quickly and get official support.

More details here.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:14 am UTC

...nah. It's Florida.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:03 am UTC

commodorejohn wrote:...nah. It's Florida Flori-duh.

FTFY
In all fairness...

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:10 am UTC

Coyne wrote:

FTFY

Flo Rida?
Also the oceans are so warm now that hurricanes are now recharging after hitting land, and becoming stronger, longer and more devastating. Thanks manmade global warming. http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/we- ... e-hermine/

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:02 pm UTC

sardia wrote:
Coyne wrote:

FTFY

Flo Rida?
Also the oceans are so warm now that hurricanes are now recharging after hitting land, and becoming stronger, longer and more devastating. Thanks manmade global warming. http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/we- ... e-hermine/

I saw that! And yet coastal North Carolina communities remain staunchly Republican. On one hand, it really sucks for the people affected, but maybe seeing drastic changes on a human timescale will convince people to, if not accept climate change, at least grudgingly allow others to do something about it

I lived in Florida when I was a kid and didn't learn till much later that it has a reputation for being nuts.
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:49 am UTC

Women do actually ask for payrises as much as men, they just don't get them.

So much for the convenient theory that men get the payrises because they're just go-getters, whereas women only had themselves to blame.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:08 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Women do actually ask for payrises as much as men, they just don't get them.

So much for the convenient theory that men get the payrises because they're just go-getters, whereas women only had themselves to blame.

Hmm from the article:

The study also found differences according to age, with women and men under 40 both asking for and receiving pay rises at the same rate, which the researchers said could mean that negotiating behaviour had started to change.

I wonder if this has something to do with taking time off for having children. The study seems to look at "weekly hours worked" though I don't know if that's a number the respondents mentioned or something they got calculated. If its the former, its unlikely maternity leave would be taken into account i.e., if I was asked how many weeks I worked in a year, in general, I wouldn't include the 5 weeks I took off as paternity. If they asked me specifically for a specific year or were taking the numbers from some database it might be included though.

Alternatively, people in charge discriminate against older women more than younger women, which I could certainly also see as a possible explanation. The stereotypical man doing nice things for a pretty woman trope and all that.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:53 pm UTC

Good news: (R) and (D) can actually agree on some things. Maybe because, maybe despite and maybe whether or not it's an election year, they can be persuaded to take the side of the electorate and of decency.

Here's the campaign page ...

... and here's the update:

Unanimous passage in the House!

Sep 07, 2016 —

Yesterday evening, in another amazing display of bipartisan support, our Survivor's Bill of Rights passed the United States House of Representatives. This bill is closer than ever to landing on President Obama's desk to be signed in to law, and we look forward to the seeing the House and Senate continue to work together to get this important legislation passed.

Thank you for helping us to this point. Your signatures, phone calls, donations, and emails have moved the needle and none of this would have been possible without the swell of support that you created. Thank you for all that you've done and please continue to support us as we push this through the Senate.

Please join us in sharing this news with your networks to celebrate how far we've come and to let people know that together we can create incredible change in our country:

Share on Facebook: http://bit.ly/2bY4yXJ
Retweet on Twitter: http://bit.ly/2bY5n2M

We’ll be sure to keep you updated on the bill as we work with Congress to get it to the President’s desk as soon as possible.

Thank you again,

Amanda and Rise

Un-freakin'-animous.

HELL YEAH!

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:16 pm UTC

'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:49 pm UTC

Now, retired St. Mary’s College in Notre Dame, Indiana parasitologist, Thomas R. Platt has discovered and named a blood fluke, a type of flatworm, Baracktrema obamai after the current president.
:?

"Now, retired parasitologist Thomas R. Platt of St. Mary’s College in Notre Dame, Indiana, has discovered a blood fluke, a type of flatworm, and named it Baracktrema obamai after the current president."

It's clearer (I think).
It has the comma after the state name.
It therefore does not imply that the college is in "Notre Dame, Indiana parasitologist."
It does not imply that Thomas R. Platt discovered the blood fluke after the current president.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:00 pm UTC

It also does not imply that it is the college named after the retired St Mary, as opposed to that other college named after working St Mary. That was a really poorly structured sentence.
He/Him/His Image

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:28 pm UTC

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... aged-kids/
Adults are now the pot heads, not kids. Pot use is down among kids.
Smoking weed is often seen as an indulgence reserved for the young and the reckless: kids get high, in the popular imagination, but by and large their parents don't.

But new federal data show a stunning reversal of that age-old stereotype. Middle-aged Americans are now slightly more likely to use marijuana than their teenage children.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:44 pm UTC

Here, I would say that's because people smoke weed with members of their own age group and nobody under 30's got anywhere to grow the stuff.

Grop

Postby Grop » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:38 am UTC

And yet when I was a teenager, I think we would smoke more cannabis than adults. Also most of the shit we would smoke was imported.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:36 am UTC

You're next door to the Nederlands, though. Why would you grow your own when they're right there with theirs?

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:41 pm UTC

Having been to a bunch of festivals in recent years I can confirm it's the middle aged people lighting up in the middle of the crowd.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:25 am UTC

I didn't check, but are these potheads teenagers who grew up to be pot heads, or are they new to pot? I know other drug sales fall when pot is legalized.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:34 pm UTC

I'd say money has something to do it. When I was an out of work teenager, I couldn't afford to smoke daily.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:56 pm UTC

Says everything relevant in the headline.
A Florida man wondered whether his bullet-resistant vest worked. 'Let’s see,' his cousin said.
Spoiler:
A Florida man curious to find out whether a bullet-resistant vest was still functional was shot and killed by his cousin while testing the protective gear, authorities said.

Tampa police said in a statement that 23-year-old Joaquin Mendez strapped on the vest Saturday night and "wondered aloud whether it still worked." Police said 24-year-old Alexandro Garibaldi picked up a handgun, said "let's see" — then pulled the trigger.

A bullet struck Mendez, who died a short time later at a nearby hospital, police said.

Garibaldi has been charged with manslaughter with a weapon, according to online booking records.

He also faces a felony charge of "felon in possession of a firearm."

Officers responded to the scene about 10 p.m. Saturday and found Mendez lying on the ground outside the Tampa residence with a bullet wound to his upper body.

Police said Garibaldi first told investigators that he heard a gunshot and found his cousin, who had been shot.

Inside, however, officers found a fragmentation protective vest, or flak jacket, which was bloody and marred by a bullet hole, according to a statement from police.

A witness told investigators that the men were testing the vest when Mendez was shot.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:01 pm UTC

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:42 am UTC

Speaking of the Netherlands...

Dutch Police now utilizing eagles to hunt down unauthorized drones.

That seems like a really, really fun job.

Falconry. But hunting drones. Cool.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:28 am UTC

Yey! Djehutynakht!
Kermit Cheer! Yey!

You Win!
That is the best news all day!

You are correct.
Some Dutch will have really, really fun jobs.

Those jobs come with great responsibility.
I'd not want to give that job to a HillBilly.

why?
oh,...ask Deva.
Oh! @ Deva; Thank you for putting text into the spoiler.
Spoiler:
Many of the News Outlets have a limit on the number of views each IP Address gets without a credit card number.
By putting the text into a spoiler, you allowed me to read it. Thank you.
Here is a fifteen minute clip about Living History and Eagles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaJ_xOY_QD4
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:06 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:30 pm UTC

Big Sugar sounds like the name of a rapper.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:19 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:Big Sugar sounds like the name of a rapper.

Straight outta Candyland 'yo.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Return to “News & Articles”