In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:14 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:I've been on the receiving end of a few £50's - they weren't *that* uncommon from tourists.

The two I received (from a relative, gift money) probably directly came from a bureau-de-change after flying home from one other of their overseas homes. Which probably says a lot about this relative.

£1000 cash for rent? The last place I rented is too long ago and was done with a cheque anyway. Looking it up, I suppose that could currently be a month in advance and two extra months'-worth as deposit (looking at typical prices round here). Not that this is The Great Metropolis, as I'm sure you appreciate.

I imagine, though, that £50s would be more commonly seen in the tourist/economic hotspots of London (for both the above reasons). Probably matches the typical cost of a couple of artisan flat-whites, too.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:22 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:As far as £50 notes, there's also a criminal bias in that they're beyond what many normal, sane, law-abiding individuals might wish to carry in one papery-item. Even if you're paying £200 quid in cash for something, get 10 Twenties from the petty-cash (FCVO 'petty') or ATM to pay it. There's little retail market for Fifties either singly (with change due) or in bundles.

I've been on the receiving end of a few £50's - they weren't *that* uncommon from tourists.

When traveling in the UK I've certainly been given 50 pound notes when exchanging currency at a bank, as of this last year.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:54 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:£1000 cash for rent? The last place I rented is too long ago and was done with a cheque anyway. Looking it up, I suppose that could currently be a month in advance and two extra months'-worth as deposit (looking at typical prices round here). Not that this is The Great Metropolis, as I'm sure you appreciate.

Last time I had an apartment it was ~$1000 a month for a 2-bed 2-bath (shared it with a roommate), that was 2012 and apartment prices were just beginning to climb post recession. Right now I think they're easily $1,000 a month for 1-bed 1-bath. Those are prices in Colorado, which is expensive for middle of the country but nothing compared to any reasonably major city on either coast.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:21 am UTC

Yes, I live in Silicon Valley, and here a three-bedroom place goes for about three thousand dollars per month.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:35 am UTC

Not to rain on the tax dodger debate or anything like that, but for pictured scientist why not Mary Somerville?
In all fairness...

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:47 am UTC

After my initial post on that subject, I considered Beatrix Potter, as mycologist, given her prior passed-overness for another field.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:36 pm UTC

Last time I had a £50 note it was in Canary Wharf, when I withdrew £50 from an ATM. Then I went into a sandwich shop and used it to pay for a sandwich. The cashier didn't even blink, obviously that's completely normal in Canary Wharf.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:57 pm UTC

As a tourist, I've spent a £50 note at a pound store before.
They did take a moment for a manager to double check it was legit, but didn't hassle me at all.

I was collecting samples of all the unique bill types I could, and it was a good way to get random 20s and I then spent the duplicates.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:05 pm UTC

I believe I included sanity as a qualifier for those who would not carry Fifties. So far, I've seen nothing to dispute my whole k-d tree. :P

(I hope you managed to get a tourist-twenty, each, from Clydesdale Bank, Bank Of Scotland, the separate Royal Bank Of Scotland, Ulster Bank, Bank of Ireland, First Trust Bank and the Danske/Northern Bank. Other than being here during a new Bank Of England note still taking over from an older one, that's really the only way you should have been getting non-duplicates on the high-street. You numismatist, you!)

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:13 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:(I hope you managed to get a tourist-twenty, each, from Clydesdale Bank, Bank Of Scotland, the separate Royal Bank Of Scotland, Ulster Bank, Bank of Ireland, First Trust Bank and the Danske/Northern Bank. Other than being here during a new Bank Of England note still taking over from an older one, that's really the only way you should have been getting non-duplicates on the high-street. You numismatist, you!)

I didn't have quite that much non-spending cash on me, but I did get a pretty decent mix of 1-3 & 5 (and started with BoEs), particularly considering that I wasn't traveling around more than walking distance or a bus ride; just visiting my brother and collecting the bills in passing for work. (Where better to get street-quality notes for testing, than straight from the street shops?)

Amusingly, the bank teller was a bit confused that I *wanted* Scottish notes when it came time to find 100s, and needed a couple confirmations. Everyone they see trades for Bank of England notes pretty exclusively.

PS:
Surely Aldi, Morrisons and Poundland don't count as high-street?
PPS:
Flying in with a small envelope of 50s and slowly breaking them up is much more convenient than having a suitcase full of unmarked, non-sequential, small bills ;)

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:58 pm UTC

1-3s?/High Street
Spoiler:
Oners, from at least one of the Scottish banks, I can understand in note form, though Ones have been in coin form only for years and Twos only recently (apart from in Monopoly?). Depending on when you presumably collected your pound coins*, you're now missing out on the 12-sided bimetal successor. The extension to £3 must be a typo, though. The old phrase of "bent as a nine-bob** note" comes to mind.

"High Street stores" doesn't convey any "high branding", indeed often meant to exclude those that are more exclusive. The first two stores are very High Street, but with obvious 'mall'/'strip-mall' locations. Though Morrisons is probably more retail-park/out-of-town or commuter-route in locations than High Street, in property portfolio terms.

* The original £1 coins were minted in sequential years to represent England, Scotland, Wales, (Northern) Ireland and the UK as a whole in their symbology. In an order I can't immediately recall, but consistent and slightly repetitively so (except for the marked year) in the first few half-decade cycles. At first the four nations were represented by national symbols (flowers), among other tweaks like the on-edge-text, but during one cycle it was representative bridges (IIRC) of each area, and other themes have crept in. I'm not entirely sure what the new £1 coin is doing in that regard. I don't even have one in my current pocket of shrapnel, to check.
** "Bob" being a predecimalised Shilling, thus 9-bob is 9 shillings, 9/20th of a pound, or 108d, and did not have a banknote, if you hadn't already gathered, though 10-bob was.

What I actually came here to mention though is Warship vs Oil-tanker. Warship notably worst off, small oil-slick only from the troubled frigate.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:02 pm UTC

I meant #1 - #3 from your list:
Clydesdale Bank, Bank Of Scotland, the separate Royal Bank Of Scotland

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:22 pm UTC

The frigate being the one to leak fuel after the collision makes sense when you realize that modern frigates generally do not have armored hulls, whereas modern oil tankers have various anti-leakage protections such as self-sealing tanks and double-layered hulls. The tanker may well be more impact-resistant than the frigate.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:05 pm UTC

Fake news is fake.

WalmartWank.png
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:12 am UTC

How do we tell it was fake news? Is it fake that says fake news? Or is it fake that doesn't say fake news? Or is it a mix?
In all fairness...

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:32 am UTC

Easy. If it benefits Trump for it to be true, then it’s real news. Otherwise, it’s fake news.

idonno

Postby idonno » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:38 pm UTC

Does news of a women being arrested for trying out dozens of sex toys in Walmart benefit Trump or not?

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:42 pm UTC

Well, obviously if she's displaying sexuality in public then she's a feminist and this confirms how terrible feminists are, which literally doing nothing but hating on women is something that is good for rallying the Trump base.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:44 pm UTC

Lock Her Up?

Don't blame me if you're now thinking about what I think you're thinking about…

idonno

Postby idonno » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:35 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:Well, obviously if she's displaying sexuality in public then she's a feminist and this confirms how terrible feminists are, which literally doing nothing but hating on women is something that is good for rallying the Trump base.

So is her being arrested good for Trump? Or should she be guilty but on the loose? Or perhaps the story is a fake liberal attempt to make their views seem to be more widely held by the general public. I don't think you properly appreciate the complexity of this issue.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:41 pm UTC

I don't see why it makes a difference; the point is to confirm biases about women.

idonno

Postby idonno » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:43 pm UTC

If it doesn't make a difference, are they all true?

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:44 pm UTC

I’m still trying to wrap my mind around Walmart selling sex toys.

thunk

Postby thunk » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:54 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:I believe I included sanity as a qualifier for those who would not carry Fifties. So far, I've seen nothing to dispute my whole k-d tree. :P

(I hope you managed to get a tourist-twenty, each, from Clydesdale Bank, Bank Of Scotland, the separate Royal Bank Of Scotland, Ulster Bank, Bank of Ireland, First Trust Bank and the Danske/Northern Bank. Other than being here during a new Bank Of England note still taking over from an older one, that's really the only way you should have been getting non-duplicates on the high-street. You numismatist, you!)

I think I have about half of the tourist-tens from the various banks--missing most of the Northern Irish ones except for Ulster. Still have the Clydesdale plastic 5 quid, which I believe was the first regular note of this type in the UK, predating the Bank of England issue by a year.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:56 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:I’m still trying to wrap my mind around Walmart selling sex toys.

Put on a happy face...

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:06 pm UTC

Everything in Walmart is a sex toy with a bit of imagination and a lack of common sense. Especially the Hardware department.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:15 pm UTC

Anything's a dildo if you're brave enough.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:44 am UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:

Put on a happy face...

No overt sex toys in video. Would not watch again.
In all fairness...

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:16 am UTC

Coyne wrote:No overt sex toys in video. Would not watch again.

I think that may be tied with "Woosh" for most confusing random comment.
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:30 am UTC

jewish_scientist wrote:
Coyne wrote:No overt sex toys in video. Would not watch again.

I think that may be tied with "Woosh" for most confusing random comment.

Come off it. This is xkcd. Context.
In all fairness...

speising

Postby speising » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:54 pm UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:

Put on a happy face...

wow. are they selling the drugs the people in the ad oviously took too?

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:47 am UTC

Apparently scientists want to add another supra-kingdom to the tree of life.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/hemi ... -1.4715823

This is why no one takes scientists seriously; their taxonomy has been proven wrong time and again, and they just keep going like it's no big deal.

elasto

Postby elasto » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:14 am UTC

Thesh wrote:This is why no one takes scientists seriously; their taxonomy has been proven wrong time and again, and they just keep going like it's no big deal.

...says the person typing on a device invented by scientists

I'm sure your jibe was meant to be light-hearted, but while science isn't perfect it's a hell of a lot better than the alternatives...

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:39 am UTC

Science has always been a work in progress.

As for taxonomy, that's actually more of a map than actual science. It started as just a way for Linneus to group animals in much the same way a person might organize paints, and when paleontology and so forth came about it turned out that it was relatively accurate in terms of evolutionary history. However, it's still just a map; the definition of "species" is not nearly as exact as some believe, and the point at which one species of prehistoric ape ends and another begins is rather murky, mostly existing for our sake much like we might arbitrarily declare a mixture of 2.5 parts red to 1 part yellow to be orange but 2.50001 parts red to 1 part yellow to be red.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:09 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:As for taxonomy, that's actually more of a map than actual science. It started as just a way for Linneus to group animals in much the same way a person might organize paints, and when paleontology and so forth came about it turned out that it was relatively accurate in terms of evolutionary history>

As someone who has studied evolutionary genetics at university level, I would put forth that modern taxonomy is quite definitely an actual science. That's really why it's been changing so much over the past several decades - it's part of it moving from primarily a descriptive field to a scientific one that focuses on establishing evidence-based models of the genetic relationships between organisms. Mainstream modern taxonomy is basically entirely phylogenetic. That is, it attempts to map the evolutionary relationship between organisms by looking at genetic changes. As we get exponentially more genomic data on exponentially more organisms we are able to refine our models, which inevitably results in changes, and sometimes major new discoveries like this. In particular this discovery was possible because it's just starting to become common to be able to sequence a single molecule of DNA - so you can literally take a single microorganism and specifically sequence its genome, which is important since the vast majority of microorganisms cannot be grown in the lab.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:24 pm UTC

Frameworks of knowledge, like taxonomies, must change in the face of new information to be science.

A framework of knowledge that resists or refuses to change in the presence of new information isn't science. It's religion and/or dogma.

I think the mistake is understandable. Our teachers don't really teach "Science" as the way of thinking, of skeptically interrogating reality to determine truth. It's too often taught as a body of knowledge, and usually out of textbooks that are woefully out of date. "Here's this book from a long time ago, memorize the passages in it, there will be a test later." This isn't Science, I'ts arguably not even religion. It's dogma, and dogma is fundamentally antithetical to the scientific process.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:10 pm UTC

For professional researchers, the process is surely important. Its where they work, and careers and prestige are made ithe churn of new knowledge, with overturning existing knowledge as top achievement.

But for everyone else, I am less sure. it's the body of settled knowledge that matters most,and the churning edge is only a mechanism to create that body. In that light, the process of science is mostly teachworthy as a warning footnote "don't put too much trust in fresh discoveries, their conclusions are liable to change"

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:01 pm UTC

BREAKING NEWS:

Stink hits darts grand slam as match features flatulent end
Gary Anderson and Wesley Harms both deny responsibility for ‘rotten’ fart smell during Wolverhampton tournament

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:58 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:For professional researchers, the process is surely important. [...]
But for everyone else, I am less sure. it's the body of settled knowledge that matters most...
That cannot be more wrong. The most important thing for everyone, to know about science is how it works. Most people don't need to know the actual body of scientific knowledge. They don't even need to know that the earth is round. But they do need to know how it is that people have become convinced that the earth is round, so that they don't end up buying into all the conspiracy theories that abound, whether it be flat earth, anti-vax, or whatever nonsense-of-the-week is peddled on youtube.

You really don't want "Science is just another religion - and I vote" stickers appearing. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:06 am UTC

Scientists determine the average time to poop out a swallowed Lego is 1.7 days. They determined this by ingesting the Legos themselves...

Shoo in for this year's Ignoble awards.

Return to “News & Articles”