In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

commodorejohn

Re: In other news... (humorous news items)

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:41 pm UTC

Gosh, it's almost like this was inevitably going to be the case when backing a currency with something that costs nothing to duplicate once it's been produced.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:18 pm UTC

If the Telegraph and the i both print it, it's probably true, so I'm currently believing that Prince Philip really did have a little black piece of someone's uniform visible below his nose on his last official engagement:

It's hard to blame the photographer because the subject must have been moving quite a bit and taking the picture had a very limited time window so it's just unfortunate that it made him look a bit like you-know-who. :|
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:03 pm UTC

Charlie Chaplin?

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:48 pm UTC

You'd have thought they'd have lined the troops up tallest-to-smallest, or vice-versa, to not look so messy! (Even if, foreshortening obscuration aside, it would have made Buck Palace's front yard look like an Ames Room.)

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:50 am UTC

I'm only posting this one for the headline, and because there were apparently no injuries: Dubai's Torch tower catches fire -- again
Hi you.
She(?!)

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:44 am UTC

ivnja wrote:I'm only posting this one for the headline, and because there were apparently no injuries: Dubai's Torch tower catches fire -- again

Sounds like it's working as intended! :P

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:03 pm UTC

Chatbots say the darndest things

One of the bots, named BabyQ, made by the Beijing-based company Turing Robot, was asked, “Do you love the Communist Party?” To which it replied simply, “No.” Another bot named XiaoBing, which is developed by Microsoft, told users, “My China dream is to go to America.” When the bot was then quizzed on its patriotism, it dodged the question and replied, “I’m having Shark Week, wanna take a rest.”

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:27 pm UTC

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:35 am UTC

I don't know what they're talking about. I have no trouble at all understanding the message.

What I'm having trouble understanding, is how they thought they would fool anyone with their excuse.
In all fairness...

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:43 am UTC

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/mati ... 738236.php
Thanks to a little-noticed auction sale, a South Bay couple are the proud owners of one of the most exclusive streets in San Francisco — and they’re looking for ways to make their purchase pay.
Tina Lam and Michael Cheng snatched up Presidio Terrace — the block-long, private oval street lined by 35 megamillion-dollar mansions — for $90,000 and change in a city-run auction stemming from an unpaid tax bill. They outlasted several other bidders.
Now they’re looking to cash in — maybe by charging the residents of those mansions to park on their own private street. Treasurer-Tax Collector Jose Cisneros’ office says the city did what the law requires. There’s a bit of irony in the couple’s purchase. Until a 1948 U.S. Supreme Court ruling banning the enforcement of racial covenants, homes in Presidio Terrace could be purchased only by whites.
“The more we dug into this,” said the Taiwan-born Cheng, “the more interesting it got.”
“Ninety-nine percent of property owners in San Francisco know what they need to do, and they pay their taxes on time — and they keep their mailing address up to date,” said spokeswoman Amanda Fried.
“There is nothing that our office can do” about the sale now, she added.
If you feel bad for these filthy rich home owners, you shouldn't. This place is was founded on, and still is a whites only neighborhood.

Grop

Postby Grop » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:44 am UTC

It seems a bit weird to me, however, that a street would be private property instead of being owned by the city.

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:50 am UTC

Grop wrote:It seems a bit weird to me, however, that a street would be private property instead of being owned by the city.

Just think of it like a toll road. The city wasn't getting paid, so they auctioned it off in the hopes that they would get paid. They made way more than the overdue amount.
The buyers were pretty smart about it. They purposely waited a year so the city couldn't revoke it. Now they can stick it to these cloistered (systemically racist) community.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:14 pm UTC

Assuming the city gave sufficient notice sometime over the last what, 30 years that the tax wasn't being paid, this falls squarely on the homeowner's association. The excuse they sent the bill to the wrong address is ridiculous.

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:47 pm UTC

sardia wrote:Now they can stick it to these cloistered (systemically racist) community.

This comment is quite hilarious considering that Sen. Feinstein, Speaker Pelosi and the former (now deceased) mayor of SF Joseph Alioto all used to live there.

I came here to post this article after reading it during lunch. Glad someone else already got the discussion going.

What shocks me is that the property was so under valued. I'm not sure what the mill levy rates are in San Fran, but if they follow national trends (my guess is they are above national trends due to Cost of Living) then the property must have been severely under valued for it to only produce a 14$ per year tax bill. I mean ridiculously undervalued.

The fact that this happened to such a prominent neighborhood makes it that much more hilarious. :mrgreen:

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:57 pm UTC

Charge people $50 for speeding 1 mph over the limit, arbitrarily lower the limit without telling anyone, and also have a camera every 20 ft so you can send 50 tickets to the same person. Make street parking alternate based on the Fibonacci sequence on months divisible by 3. Street cleanings are done randomly. All vehicles towed at owners expense, auctioned off if the owner doesn't pay up.

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:20 pm UTC

This has caused me to look at tax foreclosures in my county. Over 300 being auctioned today actually. I found several I'm interested in. Too bad the auction is in literally 1 hour.

idonno

Postby idonno » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:05 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Charge people $50 for speeding 1 mph over the limit, arbitrarily lower the limit without telling anyone, and also have a camera every 20 ft so you can send 50 tickets to the same person. Make street parking alternate based on the Fibonacci sequence on months divisible by 3. Street cleanings are done randomly. All vehicles towed at owners expense, auctioned off if the owner doesn't pay up.
In at least most of the country, I'm pretty sure that the police are responsible for enforcing and receive the proceeds of traffic violations on privately owned public roads and I don't think anyone can enforce speed limits if it is fully private.

If they want to sell the property back for a lot of money, they should open the green spaces up to the public. Even if the homeowners get an injunction on selling the property while it is being litigated, I think they would be much more ready to negotiate when every day this is tied up in court is another day that people are coming to picnic under the palm trees. Another fun idea would be to try and set up some food truck events. It is a pretty nice street for that with lots of space for trucks.

Also, they should contact Google and let street view come through because I hate when I want to look at something and it is on a private street with no street view.

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:34 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Charge people $50 for speeding 1 mph over the limit, arbitrarily lower the limit without telling anyone, and also have a camera every 20 ft so you can send 50 tickets to the same person. Make street parking alternate based on the Fibonacci sequence on months divisible by 3. Street cleanings are done randomly. All vehicles towed at owners expense, auctioned off if the owner doesn't pay up.

Just make it a toll road. Just as lucrative, but entirely legal and precedented.

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:40 pm UTC

I do have a few questions, both legal and otherwise.

Do the owners of this land now owe back HOA fees? Can the HOA seek remittances for any sort of upkeep they've done to the property (I presume not, but it could be a good sum of money if they re-paved the street recently). Is the gate house (if there is one, I presume there is given the age of the property) + gate included as part of the common ground? Are they legally required to provide access to the road to the inhabitants? So many other questions..

idonno

Postby idonno » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:34 pm UTC

sardia wrote:Just make it a toll road. Just as lucrative, but entirely legal and precedented.

Holding control over street access to their houses would be incredibly lucrative but I would bet that the home owners have an easement guaranteeing their right to use the road for access.
trpmb6 wrote:I do have a few questions, both legal and otherwise.

Do the owners of this land now owe back HOA fees? Can the HOA seek remittances for any sort of upkeep they've done to the property (I presume not, but it could be a good sum of money if they re-paved the street recently). Is the gate house (if there is one, I presume there is given the age of the property) + gate included as part of the common ground? Are they legally required to provide access to the road to the inhabitants? So many other questions..

They wouldn't owe more than a couple of years in fees. I would bet that they can seek remittances for expenses incurred maintaining and improving the property. I don't see a gatehouse but I would assume they own the gate.

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:08 pm UTC

idonno wrote:
sardia wrote:Just make it a toll road. Just as lucrative, but entirely legal and precedented.

Holding control over street access to their houses would be incredibly lucrative but I would bet that the home owners have an easement guaranteeing their right to use the road for access.
trpmb6 wrote:I do have a few questions, both legal and otherwise.

They wouldn't owe more than a couple of years in fees. I would bet that they can seek remittances for expenses incurred maintaining and improving the property. I don't see a gatehouse but I would assume they own the gate.

At the very least, the couple could charge the entire community for parking. So there's that. More importantly, they could charge *ANYONE* for parking, and this town is really close to the city, where parking spots are uber valuable. Plus these stuffy rich people who would be shocked to see plebeians parking in their gated community.

idonno

Postby idonno » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:26 am UTC

sardia wrote:At the very least, the couple could charge the entire community for parking. So there's that. More importantly, they could charge *ANYONE* for parking, and this town is really close to the city, where parking spots are uber valuable. Plus these stuffy rich people who would be shocked to see plebeians parking in their gated community.

Selling parking is certainly something they should start doing right away. It has the benefit of making money and increasing the amount the home owners will be willing to pay to buy the land back and make it stop.

Basically anything that both makes money and annoys the home owners is going to be a worthwhile pursuit.

I wonder what laws apply to doing things like racing cars on it. It is a loop. At about 0.2 miles it is probably a bit short but I bet you could find people who would pay a reasonable fee to race around a gated communities private street.

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:24 pm UTC

idonno wrote:I wonder what laws apply to doing things like racing cars on it. It is a loop. At about 0.2 miles it is probably a bit short but I bet you could find people who would pay a reasonable fee to race around a gated communities private street.

I'd pay a hundred bucks to drift around that. Absolutely. It has the bonus of annoying rich people too.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:29 pm UTC

idonno wrote:I wonder what laws apply to doing things like racing cars on it. It is a loop. At about 0.2 miles it is probably a bit short but I bet you could find people who would pay a reasonable fee to race around a gated communities private street.

Likely some sort of noise bylaws and the like that prevent this.

I'm curious as to why there's so much schadenfreude here. Is it just because they're rich? Seems petty.

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:33 pm UTC

Chen wrote:

I'm curious as to why there's so much schadenfreude here. Is it just because they're rich? Seems petty.

Mostly because they think they're above petty tax laws. Particularly this comment that annoyed me:

Rich Resident of an Exclusively White Community wrote:“I was shocked to learn this could happen, and am deeply troubled that anyone would choose to take advantage of the situation and buy our street and sidewalks,” said one homeowner, who asked not to be named because of pending litigation.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:49 pm UTC

I mean it depends on their level of knowledge of this tax. While not familiar with homeowners associations I am part of a condo association. My building is only 6 units so we get most of the information but I know people in condos with like 200 units or something. There's no way the individuals there have any idea if the every little thing is being taken care of by the board.

It's actually why I asked earlier how is it the city either didn't give them notice, or that they continued to not be able to get any response after 30 years of non-payment? The article mentions some accountant who they didn't use since 1980, but hell, you'd think after a couple of years of missed responses or something, someone would think to actually send a letter to the residents or something?

Grop

Postby Grop » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:32 pm UTC

What is also quite weird (apart from the weirdness of that city not being able to have people pay their taxes) is that these people, who are supposedly rich, didn't buy their own street. It was auctionned, so the city would have made more money if they had made higher bids, and yet they were apparently not informed of the selling.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:37 pm UTC

If you can't race noisy motorcars around their 0.2-mile loop, you can race wheelchairs around it instead, or self-driving scale-model tanks, or track-laying wheelchairs with self-driving mode. Those could be useful things to some people.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:24 pm UTC

Chen wrote:I mean it depends on their level of knowledge of this tax. While not familiar with homeowners associations I am part of a condo association. My building is only 6 units so we get most of the information but I know people in condos with like 200 units or something. There's no way the individuals there have any idea if the every little thing is being taken care of by the board.

The board is normally composed of the owners themselves. Really, whoever was responsible for their internal accounting is ultimately responsible. It's not a huge amount of money, but it should have been enough to raise a red flag that the money wasn't actually being given to anybody.

Chen wrote:It's actually why I asked earlier how is it the city either didn't give them notice, or that they continued to not be able to get any response after 30 years of non-payment? The article mentions some accountant who they didn't use since 1980, but hell, you'd think after a couple of years of missed responses or something, someone would think to actually send a letter to the residents or something?

Apparently the mailing address that the homeowners had given the city was incorrect, and they'd never bothered to change it. So the city kept sending notices to the wrong address and never received any response. I suppose somebody from the city could have gone to the property and tried to talk to somebody, but apparently they were not legally required to do so. My guess is, for the size of the fine, it wasn't worth anybody's time to do it, and once the accumulated fees ticked over the threshold of $1000, the auction process was triggered automatically.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:50 pm UTC

But bless their rich little hearts, I weep. Lawyers rule and litigants bleed. It should prove interesting for them. If sewers and public utilities lie beneath, there may be easements which might prevent usage other than as a street. Toll Gates are very amusing idea. Hundreds of speed bumps just about send me off the end. I know a very wealthy small city that uses them to keep the riff raff from speeding through town. Expertly designed potholes, your pot hole repaired at reasonable rates. Something I find vaguely amusing. Various iterations of aggravating rich people.:lol:

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:15 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:The board is normally composed of the owners themselves. Really, whoever was responsible for their internal accounting is ultimately responsible. It's not a huge amount of money, but it should have been enough to raise a red flag that the money wasn't actually being given to anybody.

The article said it was $14/year. I can't see how that amount would raise a flag in any type of internal accounting.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:19 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:The board is normally composed of the owners themselves. Really, whoever was responsible for their internal accounting is ultimately responsible. It's not a huge amount of money, but it should have been enough to raise a red flag that the money wasn't actually being given to anybody.

The article said it was $14/year. I can't see how that amount would raise a flag in any type of internal accounting.

Then their accountant isn't very good.

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:35 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:
Chen wrote:

Then their accountant isn't very good.

Per person. That makes it much more. And the sloppy accounting on the residents side is bad on them.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:47 pm UTC

sardia wrote:Per person. That makes it much more. And the sloppy accounting on the residents side is bad on them.

The article that was posted had:
The couple’s purchase appears to be the culmination of a comedy of errors involving a $14-a-year property tax bill that the homeowners association failed to pay for three decades. It’s something that the owners of all 181 private streets in San Francisco are obliged to do.

In a letter to the city last month, Scott Emblidge, the attorney for the Presidio Homeowners Association, said the group had failed to pay up because its tax bill was being mailed to the Kearny Street address used by an accountant who hadn’t worked for the homeowners since the 1980s.

Two years ago, the city’s tax office put the property up for sale in an online auction, seeking to recover $994 in unpaid back taxes, penalties and interest. Cheng and Lam, trawling for real estate opportunities in the city, pounced on the offer — snatching up the parcel with a $90,100 bid, sight unseen.

They were trying to get back $994. They failed to pay $14/year for 30 years. That's ~ $450 so the $994 could make sense for penalties and interest. It makes no sense if it was per person because $994 would way off then.

idonno

Postby idonno » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:14 pm UTC

Chen wrote:I'm curious as to why there's so much schadenfreude here. Is it just because they're rich? Seems petty.

In general a lot of people don't even like the concept of a gated community so it is no surprise that there is little sympathy that one accidentally lost it's ability to control access. In addition people literally lose their houses in tax sales so when I read “I was shocked to learn this could happen, and am deeply troubled that anyone would choose to take advantage of the situation and buy our street and sidewalks,” from someone living in a house worth more than $10M, it just doesn't elicit that much compassion from me. On top of that I can almost guarantee that they have investments deriving profit from much more troubling business practices.
The situation isn't ideal and the tax system should probably be designed to prevent scenarios like this one but it is very funny.

On a side note, I am pretty sure that where I live the value of common areas is divided among the homes that share it and billed to them. This seems like a much better method since it means neighborhood property remains intact in any situation involving non payment and the only thing that will change hands is access to and voting rights over the property.

Chen wrote:The article said it was $14/year. I can't see how that amount would raise a flag in any type of internal accounting.

They were paying nothing. The accountant absolutely should have been aware that they were supposed to be paying something and been aware that they were paying nothing. If an accountant practicing in an area isn't aware of the tax laws in that area, that is on them and if they aren't aware of what assets the client owns, that is either on them or the client.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:29 pm UTC

idonno wrote:On a side note, I am pretty sure that where I live the value of common areas is divided among the homes that share it and billed to them. This seems like a much better method since it means neighborhood property remains intact in any situation involving non payment and the only thing that will change hands is access to and voting rights over the property.

It seems bizarre to me in any city, the roads and sidewalks wouldn't be public property. I can understand on huge properties out in the country, but I mean is the homeowner's association required to fix potholes or cracks in these sidewalks? That would just be bizarre to me.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:37 pm UTC

idonno wrote:On a side note, I am pretty sure that where I live the value of common areas is divided among the homes that share it and billed to them. This seems like a much better method since it means neighborhood property remains intact in any situation involving non payment and the only thing that will change hands is access to and voting rights over the property.
I know of at least one condo who had to amend the master deed to reflect that owners of parking spaces in a garage could only be sell to other owners. Since one owner sold his to a next store neighbor. It was inside the building.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:39 pm UTC

Chen wrote:

It seems bizarre to me in any city, the roads and sidewalks wouldn't be public property. I can understand on huge properties out in the country, but I mean is the homeowner's association required to fix potholes or cracks in these sidewalks? That would just be bizarre to me.

There is a stretch of road (like 100 ft) in my neighborhood (more technically, joining my neighborhood with a ...neighboring... one) that isn't owned by the county or the state, so the homeowners' association gets it repaved/worked-on every so often.
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

Gwydion

Postby Gwydion » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:40 pm UTC

Chen wrote:It seems bizarre to me in any city, the roads and sidewalks wouldn't be public property. I can understand on huge properties out in the country, but I mean is the homeowner's association required to fix potholes or cracks in these sidewalks? That would just be bizarre to me.

Yep, the association is responsible for repairs and maintenance. This is more common in places where municipal budgets are tight and wealthy communities want a higher level of service than the city would otherwise provide. The community can control who has access, enforce their own parking restrictions, and other nice perks - but when something happens, the owners have to fix it themselves.

To idonno's point, individual owners don't own any part of the road so that they can't threaten to sell their portion to an outsider, or "hold hostage" their section of road in some other way. The association owns it as a collective, and passes the costs on to the owners. The problem here was that the city expected the association to pay, and they didn't. I'll bet the owners were paying those costs into the association but nobody was making sure the money went back out correctly.

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:20 pm UTC

Chen wrote:

A big factor is that they are founded by racists, or at least it's a whites only community.

Return to “News & Articles”