In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

addams

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby addams » Sat May 03, 2014 3:42 am UTC

Heisenberg wrote:
sardia wrote:Lying in wait for burgulers isn't inherently bad.

Yes it is.

Well...Let's not be too hasty.
Lying in wait for AnyOne is fun.

Water Balloons make it more fun for some people.
Warm Water Balloons are best for everyone.

Never! Never give a crew of ten year olds the Amo Mission.
Frozen water balloons are not as bad as a gunshot.
Frozen water balloons are not Good!

No one gets off easy.
A person can not throw a frozen water balloon and Not know it's Frozen!

What kind of Idiot Freezes the water balloons?
A ten year old idiot. That is what ten year olds are for.

Back in the Old Days, they were called Morons.
Some how the ring of the word...fits that bunch of Morons.

Ewww. So serous for funny news.
How old was The Old Fart that murderd those people?
It is irresponsible for a family, a society, a culture to not Step In.

When Rose Walker was Ninety they took her guns away.
Rose was showing signs of dementia. I was not there.

I heard she went Hunting for a man that had been dead for Years.
His son and grandson look like him.

That would make the Humorous news item.
The Headline:
Rose Walker shoots Ben Daily.
Roas insists she shot Jason Wooley and He had it Coming.

Some old people turn Mean.
It seems that Old Fart in The Frozen North did.

I used to think it might be The Weather.
That does not explain one thing about that article.

If your Great-Grandmother has a gun,
Talk to her. Does she know who you are?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Sat May 03, 2014 5:51 am UTC

The weird part for me is not that the homeowner might be armed, but that the armed homeowner might try to surprise the burglar.

Presumably you want to have your gun trained on them before they train theirs on you? Once you have the advantage, you can force them to leave.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat May 03, 2014 6:03 am UTC

KrytenKoro wrote:Presumably you want to have your gun trained on them before they train theirs on you? Once you have the advantage, you can force them to leave.

People tend not to be completely rational when a loaded gun is pointed at them, particularly when they're already in a stressful situation.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat May 03, 2014 7:28 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
KrytenKoro wrote:Presumably you want to have your gun trained on them before they train theirs on you? Once you have the advantage, you can force them to leave.

People tend not to be completely rational when a loaded gun is pointed at them, particularly when they're already in a stressful situation.

Has anyone done any studies as to the best (or the most likely outcome) of the various suggestions here? Is it better to loudly reload a gun, shout your presence, or point your gun at them? Because if we're making it up and assuming it works the best, why not go with what SWAT does? Toss in a flashbang, and then enter sideways through the doorway while they are disoriented.

WilliamLehnsherr

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Sat May 03, 2014 8:39 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:Even a thief's life is worth more than a tv

I don't know, my TV is pretty good. And I definitely wouldn't pay as much for a thief as I would for a TV.

...I'm sorry.

mousewiz

Postby mousewiz » Sat May 03, 2014 2:49 pm UTC

WilliamLehnsherr wrote:

I don't know, my TV is pretty good. And I definitely wouldn't pay as much for a thief as I would for a TV.

...I'm sorry.

But a thief can be used to acquire more TVs. I'd totally purchase a thief over a TV if not for a plethora of reasons why I wouldn't.

addams

Postby addams » Sat May 03, 2014 3:53 pm UTC

mousewiz wrote:
WilliamLehnsherr wrote:

...I'm sorry.

But a thief can be used to acquire more TVs. I'd totally purchase a thief over a TV if not for a plethora of reasons why I wouldn't.

No! Don't do it!
This is the voice of experience.

Thieves are people.
People are trouble.

A TV can be unplugged, covered with a tapestry and forgotten.
Not so a people.

Not unless ya' shoot 'em first.
That makes it a loop.

The smell of people is worse than the smell of TV.
Go with the TV. It is the simpler solution.

Unplug It!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

solune

Postby solune » Mon May 05, 2014 12:11 pm UTC

Can't find any english link but:

Corrupt politician is aquitted; Population takes the matter in their own hands and tie him to a stake.
http://acajutibanews.com/portal/noticia.php?id=2932

I don't know enough about the story to know if he was actually guilty, but I sure wish some of our politicians would receive that treatment.

speising

Postby speising » Mon May 05, 2014 12:29 pm UTC

solune wrote:Can't find any english link but:

Corrupt politician is aquitted; Population takes the matter in their own hands and tie him to a stake.
http://acajutibanews.com/portal/noticia.php?id=2932

I don't know enough about the story to know if he was actually guilty, but I sure wish some of our politicians would receive that treatment.

berlusconi got a much harder sentence: 4h/week social service, the poor bastard.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon May 05, 2014 3:14 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:
yurell wrote:
Drumheller769 wrote:Its not unreasonable to assume a homeowner, upon hearing a door forced open or a window breaking might grab a gun and try to surprise the intruder.

That's the assumption that makes American culture seem so weird to me.

Are you from a city? Because out in the backwoods, police response time is next morning. When you have a hungry brown bear in your yard, you can't throw your wallet at it. There are places where if you don't have a gun, you're a fool.
The weird part for me is not that the homeowner might be armed, but that the armed homeowner might try to surprise the burglar.

Really, what the hell is the point of that? Surely the better tactic would be to loudly advertise your presence and the fact that you're armed in hopes that the burglar goes away without having to be shot.

It is somewhat odd. Explainable in different terms. Like, getting a gun and also hiding from the burglar is pretty reasonable, if you're really trying to avoid confrontation. This doesn't seem applicable here, but a burglar being surprised by an armed person doesn't necessarily imply murderous intent on the part of the homeowner. In this case, though, murderous intent is easily inferred from his other actions.

Either hiding or loudly announcing presence could be a valid strategy, and the correct one to choose would probably be a judgement call depending on the individual situation.

Ormurinn

Postby Ormurinn » Mon May 05, 2014 3:57 pm UTC

I'd strongly dispute that a thief's life is important enough that lethal force isn't permissible in stopping them thieving.
"Progress" - Technological advances masking societal decay.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon May 05, 2014 4:21 pm UTC

Ormurinn wrote:I'd strongly dispute that a thief's life is important enough that lethal force isn't permissible in stopping them thieving.
How is the homeowner supposed to know it's just a thief?
-Adam

speising

Postby speising » Mon May 05, 2014 4:32 pm UTC

Ormurinn wrote:I'd strongly dispute that a thief's life is important enough that lethal force isn't permissible in stopping them thieving.

that's a horrific ethic. your bluray player is worth more than a human life?

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon May 05, 2014 5:11 pm UTC

speising wrote:

that's a horrific ethic. your bluray player is worth more than a human life?

No. But the principle of ownership is.

Consider, in the old west, the death penalty was commonly assessed for the crime of stealing horses. Why? Because a man stuck alone in the desert with no horse is likely to die. You're literally stealing his means of staying alive. This is very much like killing him directly.

Now, a bluray player is not exactly the same thing, but even still, rich people live longer than poor. Wealth matters. Someone stealing all your stuff is less bad than someone intent on murdering you, but it's still pretty friggin' bad. Someone willing to do you that level of harm for their own personal gain may not be overly concerned about your health, and may be willing do to you physical harm as well.

I'm fairly ok with the use of force to stop imminent harm.

The only issue HERE is that the use of force went far beyond that.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon May 05, 2014 5:12 pm UTC

speising wrote:that's a horrific ethic. your bluray player is worth more than a human life?

It's not necessarily the material goods, but the fact that the life in question is breaking the socially agreed upon rules in which we live. Then again, to some perhaps the material goods are more valuable than some human lives.

Personally, I'd say, in general, a human being is worth more than almost any material goods. That said, for particularly important goods (say someone burning down your entire home or livelihood) or particularly despicable people, I'm positive I'd make exceptions. I haven't given it too much though to figure out where that line resides though.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon May 05, 2014 5:32 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Consider, in the old west, the death penalty was commonly assessed for the crime of stealing horses. Why? Because a man stuck alone in the desert with no horse is likely to die. You're literally stealing his means of staying alive. This is very much like killing him directly.

Now, a bluray player is not exactly the same thing, but even still, rich people live longer than poor. Wealth matters. Someone stealing all your stuff is less bad than someone intent on murdering you, but it's still pretty friggin' bad. Someone willing to do you that level of harm for their own personal gain may not be overly concerned about your health, and may be willing do to you physical harm as well.

I am shocked that you could possibly think these two cases are at all analogous.

In the first case, you justified it by saying that a person without their horse could die as result. Nobody is going to die because their blu-ray player gets stolen, even if rich people do tend to live longer. Having a blu-ray player stolen cannot cause imminent death and, well, could, at most, cause an incredibly small change in life expectancy. The sort of thing comparable with the effect on life expectancy reasonable force could have.

There is absolutely no justification for murdering someone for nicking your stuff.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon May 05, 2014 5:35 pm UTC

I am pretty sure that he who has the most when he dies wins, so... Justified.

speising

Postby speising » Mon May 05, 2014 5:39 pm UTC

if you'd rather surprise a burglar with a bullet, instead of shouting "i'm armed and i've called 911", i'm confident to assume it's more the primitive thrill of killing you value than your property.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Mon May 05, 2014 6:08 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:I'm fairly ok with the use of force to stop imminent harm.

The only issue HERE is that the use of force went far beyond that.

No, the issue here is that you're broadly defining both force and harm. If this is your ethic, that property theft or damage is justification for any level of force, then you'd defend an individual who, upon seeing an ex-girlfriend keying his car, drew a firearm and shot her. Imminent harm, right?

Using the minimum amount of force required to stop imminent violence is a well-accepted metric. A better one is not using force at all.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon May 05, 2014 6:26 pm UTC

Obviously if you knew the intruders were after your bluray player you shouldn't murder them. But if you think there's a chance they'll do horrible things to you and/or your family, then what? Yell at them, letting them know the location of the only armed defender in the house? Bah. That goes against everything years of watching action movies has taught me.
-Adam

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Mon May 05, 2014 6:32 pm UTC

If someone forces their way into my home uninvited, I absolutely will shoot. I pray I don't kill them (I only want to neutralize any threat), and if they die, I will feel terrible, but I will feel absolutely justified. NO ONE has the right to invade another's personal space for any reason, and EVERYONE has the right to defend that space.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon May 05, 2014 6:43 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:Consider, in the old west, the death penalty was commonly assessed for the crime of stealing horses. Why? Because a man stuck alone in the desert with no horse is likely to die. You're literally stealing his means of staying alive. This is very much like killing him directly.

I am shocked that you could possibly think these two cases are at all analogous.

In the first case, you justified it by saying that a person without their horse could die as result. Nobody is going to die because their blu-ray player gets stolen, even if rich people do tend to live longer. Having a blu-ray player stolen cannot cause imminent death and, well, could, at most, cause an incredibly small change in life expectancy. The sort of thing comparable with the effect on life expectancy reasonable force could have.

There is absolutely no justification for murdering someone for nicking your stuff.

Even in the olden days, not EVERY horse theft would cause death. That was part of the reason for the rule, but it was enforced even for situations in which nobody would have died. We've gone away from that because society as a whole is sufficiently advanced so as to make lengthy imprisonment more practical as a punishment than death.

Ysee, the goal is not murder. The goal is to stop the theft.

Consider an even more extreme example...a man stealing a loaf of bread to avoid starvation. That's pretty much as sympathetic as theft gets. He's grabbing the bare minimum, and doing so in order to prevent harm. But...if we allow it, what happens if everyone steals bread? How will the baker survive?

If you can stop the theft without resorting to killing, then sure, that is absolutely preferable. If announcing you are there and armed is sufficient(and often, it will be), cheers. Problem solved. If someone is more determined, though...what then? Not *everyone* will leave when warned. Are you required to let people steal whatever they wish, whenever they wish? Do you not see the potential damage such a policy would cause?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon May 05, 2014 6:54 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:Obviously if you knew the intruders were after your bluray player you shouldn't murder them. But if you think there's a chance they'll do horrible things to you and/or your family, then what? Yell at them, letting them know the location of the only armed defender in the house? Bah. That goes against everything years of watching action movies has taught me.

If your main concern is that the intruders are going to harm you or your family, then I would think that the priority ought to be getting those people to safety rather than engaging the intruders.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon May 05, 2014 6:58 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:
Adam H wrote:Obviously if you knew the intruders were after your bluray player you shouldn't murder them. But if you think there's a chance they'll do horrible things to you and/or your family, then what? Yell at them, letting them know the location of the only armed defender in the house? Bah. That goes against everything years of watching action movies has taught me.

If your main concern is that the intruders are going to harm you or your family, then I would think that the priority ought to be getting those people to safety rather than engaging the intruders.

In many apartments, townhouses, etc, there really is only the one door. If they've come in through your front door, you simply may not have another means of exit. In fact, this seems to be wildly probable. Every apartment I've ever lived in has had just the one exterior door, unless it has a porch...in which case they have two that open into the living area.

Windows may be an option, but leaping from several floors up is unwise. Doing that to avoid possibly harming an intruder seems to be kind of...insane.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon May 05, 2014 6:58 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:If your main concern is that the intruders are going to harm you or your family, then I would think that the priority ought to be getting those people to safety rather than engaging the intruders.

I am on the fence on the whole subject, but I have to ask; Where is this safety you are supposed to be bringing them to? You are already in your own home. You are likely to encounter the thief if you begin moving through the house. So, moving your family through the house is not an option. The only option is to scare the intruder away or engage them directly.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Mon May 05, 2014 7:09 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:There is absolutely no justification for murdering someone for nicking your stuff.

Like others have pointed out, the obvious response to this is "if you have absolute knowledge that no one will be harmed, then sure."

Thieves, pretty much as a rule, aren't usually to be trusted when they say "just give me X and I'll leave you alone." There's the obvious parallel to feeding a wild animal, there's the "people get hurt or killed during muggings or burglaries all the time what are you trying to pull here" aspect, and there's the simple fact that, during a burglary, you rarely have time to sit down and chat, just get to know that burglar, y'know? Get to know their dreams and aspirations, what they want to do with their life, what they want to do with your life more importantly, how trustworthy they are in regards to same (burglars rarely bring references or testimonials from those they've previously robbed, sadly), etc. Then there's the fact that, for most people, getting burgled causes real psychological harm regardless of what was stolen.

Did this guy cross the line? Certainly. Are we really using him to leap into demographic-wide victim-blaming here?
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon May 05, 2014 7:23 pm UTC

KrytenKoro wrote:Did this guy cross the line? Certainly. Are we really using him to leap into demographic-wide victim-blaming here?

My guess is that's exactly what's about to happen, =)

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon May 05, 2014 7:33 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:

In many apartments, townhouses, etc, there really is only the one door. If they've come in through your front door, you simply may not have another means of exit. In fact, this seems to be wildly probable. Every apartment I've ever lived in has had just the one exterior door, unless it has a porch...in which case they have two that open into the living area.

Windows may be an option, but leaping from several floors up is unwise. Doing that to avoid possibly harming an intruder seems to be kind of...insane.

It's not about avoiding harming the intruder. It's about avoiding harm yourself. Engaging the intruder is far more likely to result in harm to yourself than avoiding them. Certainly, it is sometimes not always possible to avoid engaging them. But given the opportunity, it seems insane to me that you would put your family in greater danger by attempting a risky attack. I'd rather be robbed than dead.

As an aside, I'm a little concerned about fire safety in American apartments if there's one exterior door and no other way out.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon May 05, 2014 8:05 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:It's not about avoiding harming the intruder. It's about avoiding harm yourself. Engaging the intruder is far more likely to result in harm to yourself than avoiding them. Certainly, it is sometimes not always possible to avoid engaging them. But given the opportunity, it seems insane to me that you would put your family in greater danger by attempting a risky attack. I'd rather be robbed than dead.

As an aside, I'm a little concerned about fire safety in American apartments if there's one exterior door and no other way out.

As I said, hiding or confrontation can both be viable strategies. It depends a lot on the situation. I have only had my door kicked in once, so it's hardly a representative sample. However, given that I was recovering from foot surgery and was on the third floor(only other doors opened out onto balconies above a thirty foot drop), fleeing was not a real option. Fortunately, that worked out well enough. No gun even had to be drawn, though one was available. I cannot imagine where I could have retreated to otherwise.

Even so, fleeing from your home does not seem particularly safe. If you have a family, it can take time to gather children, etc. Kids are notoriously unstealthy. If they are intent on harm, odds are good that even if you DO have a back door, they can catch up with you.

It can indeed be a serious concern for fire safety. Granted, leaping from a high window might be better than burning to death, but it's a shitty choice. Even worse are tall office buildings. Oh, sure, there's a stairwell or two to theoretically evacuate down. Stairwells only so big, though, and can only handle so many people at once. And, even going down, a lot of folks are simply not acclimated to taking many flights of stairs. They form bottlenecks. Even in places that DO have fire drills, it can take ages to get everyone out, and fire can move pretty rapidly.

speising

Postby speising » Mon May 05, 2014 8:20 pm UTC

seriously, burglars that are willing to press an attack if they know there is an armed person at home and the police is notified are hopefully an extreme edge case.
in which case, it is no longer a burglary but a violent crime (whatever the specific term is).

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon May 05, 2014 8:41 pm UTC

speising wrote:seriously, burglars that are willing to press an attack if they know there is an armed person at home and the police is notified are hopefully an extreme edge case.
in which case, it is no longer a burglary but a violent crime (whatever the specific term is).

Generally, yes. At least in the US, there is a pronounced tendency for burglars to avoid occupied homes altogether. Someone just interested in stealing is benefited by avoiding notice and confrontation.

This is not necessarily true in other cultures, but here, someone kicks in the door when you're obviously home, and it will not be assumed that it is just a burglary. I believe the UK in particular has a different pattern, wherein burglars aim to rob when people are there, so that they can also rob the individuals. Many postulate that the risk/benefit differences are the reason for the patterns. *shrug*

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon May 05, 2014 8:58 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:I believe the UK in particular has a different pattern, wherein burglars aim to rob when people are there, so that they can also rob the individuals.
What rot.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110218135832/http:/rds.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs04/r249.pdf
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Mon May 05, 2014 9:50 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Ysee, the goal is not murder. The goal is to stop the theft.

With murder just being the bonus!

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Mon May 05, 2014 9:57 pm UTC

speising wrote:seriously, burglars that are willing to press an attack if they know there is an armed person at home and the police is notified are hopefully an extreme edge case.

I'm sure the people whose home is being invaded appreciate the distinction.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon May 05, 2014 10:12 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:I believe the UK in particular has a different pattern, wherein burglars aim to rob when people are there, so that they can also rob the individuals.
What rot.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110218135832/http:/rds.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs04/r249.pdf

Excellent! This supports the viewpoint that criminals are fairly rational at evalutating potential risk vs reward. Many of the listed causes there included elements like "low perception of risk", "likely yield", and so on. I know it's popular here in the US to view criminals as entirely irrational/evil...but while an element of that may be true, they are not so very different from the rest of humanity. Decisions are still made, and one can alter the decisions by altering the threats/rewards perceived. Now, there's a slight selection bias here in that, by the nature of the interview, we're only hearing from those who burglarized anyway...people who noted alarm systems, etc and decided not to continue are probably much less likely to be arrested.

However, it does not discuss the incidence of home invasions as such(ie, likelihood of robbery when the residents are home), which, if you review studies such as Kleck and Kopel, you'll see it's about 4 to 5 times more common in the UK. Now, usual cross-culture comparison caveats apply. Namely, the definitions of crimes are not exactly the same between the two countries. Therefore, some hold that it is merely about twice as likely in the UK as in the US, depending on the precise definitions used. However, the mere fact that it is significantly more common in the UK is not in doubt.

Jave D wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:Ysee, the goal is not murder. The goal is to stop the theft.

With murder just being the bonus!

This individual may think this way. I believe the vast majority of humanity does not, and that most of us are not actually itching to be a murderer.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon May 05, 2014 10:41 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:This individual may think this way. I believe the vast majority of humanity does not, and that most of us are not actually itching to be a murderer.

Isn't the itching to be a murderer part exactly what you're afraid of? Hence the guns? The vast majority of criminals, are they itching to be murderers?

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon May 05, 2014 10:46 pm UTC

sardia wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:This individual may think this way. I believe the vast majority of humanity does not, and that most of us are not actually itching to be a murderer.

Isn't the itching to be a murderer part exactly what you're afraid of? Hence the guns? The vast majority of criminals, are they itching to be murderers?

No. Maybe murder never crossed his mind before. But he's breaking the law, probably a little keyed up, and making poor decisions. He may be violent. Obviously, he is willing to significantly violate social convention to get what he wants. Statistically speaking, he's likely to have poor impulse control.

But he probably doesn't dream of murder all the time. The calculating serial killer so often portrayed in the media is the exception, really. A great many more murderers are simply violent idiots who didn't really think it through.

addams

Postby addams » Mon May 05, 2014 11:10 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
sardia wrote:

No. Maybe murder never crossed his mind before. But he's breaking the law, probably a little keyed up, and making poor decisions. He may be violent. Obviously, he is willing to significantly violate social convention to get what he wants. Statistically speaking, he's likely to have poor impulse control.

But he probably doesn't dream of murder all the time. The calculating serial killer so often portrayed in the media is the exception, really. A great many more murderers are simply violent idiots who didn't really think it through.

What do you know?
You know about Violent Idiots?

How do you know it?
How do you know so much about what drives a person to kill?

What side of the Violence Thing are you on?
It's like a Vision Test.

Do you see Violence as a way to Stop Violence?
Fire with Fire? Draw A Line in the fucking Sand!

Do you see Violence as a symptom of something else?
I do. I have seen Real Violence. You?

I don't care for it.
The Violence of a Crashing Wave is fun for me the way a Boxing Match might be fun for you.
Violence is Entertaining. It engages our imaginations and makes a heart beat a little faster.

Is the Internet a bad thing that is spilling into our Real Lives?
Life is Cheap on the Internet. Criminals, too?

Criminals?
White Collar or Blue?

How do you know?

I want to ask and answer those two questions over and over.
What do you know?
How do you know it?

And; The other one:
Why do you know That?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue May 06, 2014 2:44 am UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:

Statistically speaking, you wouldn't have met the burglar in the first place because a burglar that meets the owners of every house he robs isn't going to be robbing for very long. http://www.stat.duke.edu/~dalene/chance ... .myth0.pdf Only 22% of burglary's occur when someone is at home. 2/3s of those at home were asleep.

I actually had a hard time finding studies on the best course of action against burglars when you're armed. Do you have anything other than that crazy chick that broke into the wrong(your) house?

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Tue May 06, 2014 3:32 am UTC

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2148944/ ... icals.html

*sigh* I can only hope it's real but I don't want to get my hopes up.
probably not in need of it's own page so I put it here.
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

Return to “News & Articles”