In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Djehutynakht

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue May 13, 2014 4:50 am UTC

There is a very recent net neutrality thread, for the record.

Pope preemptively OKs baptism for extraterrestrials.

What a time to be alive.

Of course, an actual alien baptism would be mindblowing, for more than one reason.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue May 13, 2014 4:57 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Of course, an actual alien baptism would be mindblowing, for more than one reason.

And cruel, considering water is like acid to their skin.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Tue May 13, 2014 4:59 am UTC

So apparently some people in a small town protested when a road was closed off by the BLM, by driving through on ATVs. They are now joined by many of the self-proclaimed militia members who rallied to Bundy's oh-so-just cause, including Ryan Bundy. The whole situation is just as ridiculous as the "Bundy affair" which one militia member said this was a continuation of. (The picture shows them on an ATV with a US flag waving on it, which is pretty funny considering that the Bundy-ites don't recognize the United States as even existing.) It's also a bit disturbing that people are just fucking with the BLM only because they're the BLM and they don't want to "lick boots" (their dumb pseudo-macho words, not mine) just because of some dumb crap like laws; and that people don't even care about the issues (Bundy's own nonpayment of fees, or this particular road now) nor of consequences (i.e. bloody confrontation, or disturbing ancient Native American sites).

So sick of this absurdly contradictory "we're patriotic Americans with no political agenda, but also the US government doesn't exist, and sucks, and we're going to bring it down with organized protests and possibly violence" bullshit.

addams

Postby addams » Tue May 13, 2014 5:57 am UTC

Jave D wrote:So apparently some people in a small town protested when a road was closed off by the BLM, by driving through on ATVs. They are now joined by many of the self-proclaimed militia members who rallied to Bundy's oh-so-just cause, including Ryan Bundy. The whole situation is just as ridiculous as the "Bundy affair" which one militia member said this was a continuation of. (The picture shows them on an ATV with a US flag waving on it, which is pretty funny considering that the Bundy-ites don't recognize the United States as even existing.) It's also a bit disturbing that people are just fucking with the BLM only because they're the BLM and they don't want to "lick boots" (their dumb pseudo-macho words, not mine) just because of some dumb crap like laws; and that people don't even care about the issues (Bundy's own nonpayment of fees, or this particular road now) nor of consequences (i.e. bloody confrontation, or disturbing ancient Native American sites).

So sick of this absurdly contradictory "we're patriotic Americans with no political agenda, but also the US government doesn't exist, and sucks, and we're going to bring it down with organized protests and possibly violence" bullshit.

That shit is not funny.
Those people are Mean.

I read it.
They want Anacry.
They have no clue what they are doing.

This!
This is what we were warned about.
When the Low Class people have money,
see what you get? A fucking mess with money.

I did find something funny in there.
Dean said it. He is the Local that is being OutShined by the Bundy Bunch.

Spoiler:
Another famous Bundy?
The last famous Bundy was a bit of a Rebel, too. (right?)

oh, excuse me.
The funny.
“I’ve tried to work with these federal people and have spent a lot of time on my knees.

Will they never let the BlowJob go?

I think he is making it up.
Not all Federal Employees want to be blown by a Good Ole' Boy.

Statistically it seems a 1.
There is a federal employee that wants Dean on his knees.
Not many, one maybe two.

What??
Does he have one of those large sensuous mouths?

On a not so funny a note.
Anarchy is a bad idea.

Might makes Right works in Fantasy Land, The History Channel and FOX News.
This does not look like Working With anyone.

I think working with them is getting a permit to take a person or several people that can not walk in with ATV's.
Those reasonably healthy, soft, spoiled, old Idiots can Walk! That is a protected Indian area? (fuckers.)

The US Government has been known to use the wonders of the digital world.
They can photograph that bunch within an inch of its life.

Then arrest them later.
That is what they did to me.

I was arrested for a different charge.
They could be arrested on a different charge, too.

Hey!!
If it's good enough for a Peace Sign Carrying Peace Song Singing Idiot.
It's good enough for Gun Toting, ATV Riding Idiots.

They can be Picked Off one by one, too.
What?? They have the blessings of FOX.

Damn it.
That is Not Fair.

Wait until they start getting called in for Questioning.
I fucking Hate that.

They called me in for Questioning.
And; Then didn't Question me!

That pissed me off.
Hours and Hours of waiting to Not be questioned.

No Questions.
I can go now?
(Fuck)

Does anyone know where we left the F-bomb map?
I liked that thing.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue May 13, 2014 8:15 am UTC

The Bundy case was pure insanity, but here I can kind of see where they are coming from (the response, is of course, still pure insanity). I might be completely wrong, since this is all based on what I gathered from those article, but if I understand correctly the federal government owns 90% of the land in that county, and surrounding counties, and has been restricting local access to these lands more and more. That must be rather frustrating for the locals. Protecting your national heritage is important, but you can't just completely disrupt local communities while doing so, at least not without some form of compensation.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue May 13, 2014 12:46 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:The Bundy case was pure insanity, but here I can kind of see where they are coming from (the response, is of course, still pure insanity). I might be completely wrong, since this is all based on what I gathered from those article, but if I understand correctly the federal government owns 90% of the land in that county, and surrounding counties, and has been restricting local access to these lands more and more. That must be rather frustrating for the locals. Protecting your national heritage is important, but you can't just completely disrupt local communities while doing so, at least not without some form of compensation.

Yes. There's a type of grouse that's being considered for endangered species status that, if accepted, would affect vast swathes of land across several states. There's a coalition of governors opposing it because of the huge impact it would have. Among other things, it'd put them on the hook for somewhere north of a billion dollars.

But the sane opposition to federal land management policies is much less fun for the media to cover than some idiot redneck spouting nonsense.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue May 13, 2014 4:18 pm UTC

Customers order spa treatment, receive Bobcat.
...would probably buy again.

Okay, I took some liberties with the title, but yeah, there is a bobcat involved.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed May 14, 2014 8:13 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Customers order spa treatment, receive Bobcat.
...would probably buy again.

Okay, I took some liberties with the title, but yeah, there is a bobcat involved.

And a spa! As headlines go that's pretty accurate.

The BNP calls UKIP racist: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27406316

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed May 14, 2014 10:53 pm UTC

What a textbook example of the pot calling the kettle metallic.

(Alternatively, it gives me an opportunity to use one of my favourite pieces of obscure British slang, Potkettle!)
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Wed May 14, 2014 11:25 pm UTC

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/home/w ... 6918237526

Kid gets mauled by dog, cat scares off the dog.

I probably should warn, the video may be distressing.
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu May 15, 2014 7:08 am UTC

krogoth wrote:http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/home/watch-video-cat-saves-boy-from-vicious-dog-attack/story-fngwib2y-1226918237526

Ok, so the cat, no doubt, was a heroine. But.... what the hell was the mother (or whoever the woman in the video was) doing? She just ran off and left the child there on the ground? He got up and went inside by himself - even if there was a reason for her not being able to carry him to safety he could have still walked with her. What if the dog had come back?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu May 15, 2014 7:44 am UTC

Angua wrote:
krogoth wrote:http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/home/watch-video-cat-saves-boy-from-vicious-dog-attack/story-fngwib2y-1226918237526

Ok, so the cat, no doubt, was a heroine. But.... what the hell was the mother (or whoever the woman in the video was) doing? She just ran off and left the child there on the ground? He got up and went inside by himself - even if there was a reason for her not being able to carry him to safety he could have still walked with her. What if the dog had come back?

My guess is she went to get a phone to call an ambulance. I don't think she was thinking that rationally at that point.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Aceo

Postby Aceo » Thu May 15, 2014 10:19 am UTC

Angua wrote:

From reading other articles it seems she went to chase the dog off and ends up getting bit herself.
GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu May 15, 2014 1:37 pm UTC

That cat is a disgrace to it's species. A real cat would have sat there, licking itself as it watched in apathy/disgust.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Thu May 15, 2014 1:44 pm UTC

ConMan wrote:

(Alternatively, it gives me an opportunity to use one of my favourite pieces of obscure British slang, Potkettle!)

Seems more like the pot calling the sugarbowl metallic.

It sounds like he's basically saying: "I'm not racist for hating foreigners and saying that they're poisoning our country, YOU'RE racist for letting foreigners in in the first place! You're trying to overrun all the patriotic, God-fearing Whites!"

Which is, just -- I almost feel pity for him, because what he's saying is deeply stupid. Not just for the fact that it is viciously bigoted, but that it's just so deeply, deeply in denial of how logic works.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

yurell

Postby yurell » Thu May 15, 2014 2:04 pm UTC

Sorry, are you saying that UKIP aren't racist?
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu May 15, 2014 2:17 pm UTC

I'll make that claim. While any party has it's share of nutjobs, and the UKIP by not being one of the main parties has more than most, at its core the UKIP is anti-EU, while the BNP is Anti-Europeans. Just because someone hates the EU doesn't mean they hate its people.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Thu May 15, 2014 2:26 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Ok, so the cat, no doubt, was a heroine. But.... what the hell was the mother (or whoever the woman in the video was) doing? She just ran off and left the child there on the ground? He got up and went inside by himself - even if there was a reason for her not being able to carry him to safety he could have still walked with her. What if the dog had come back?

Seems like she went after the dog, after she saw that the child was not seriously hurt. Maybe that was her dog? Maybe she heard it attack someone else? Maybe she wanted to capture it to see if it was rabid?

speising

Postby speising » Thu May 15, 2014 3:33 pm UTC

Heisenberg wrote: Maybe she wanted to capture it to see if it was rabid?

that would be a seriously stupid idea, unprepared.

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Fri May 16, 2014 12:35 am UTC

The cat story

The one time I think shooting in defense of your family is obviously warranted.

Spoiler:
I'm not saying there aren't other times, just this is 'obviously warranted' rather than gun defense for home invasion that I don't think a person has enough information to make an educated decision in the time the other person could pull the trigger, or know they aren't a threat.
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.

addams

Postby addams » Fri May 16, 2014 2:32 am UTC

KrytenKoro wrote:
ConMan wrote:

Seems more like the pot calling the sugarbowl metallic.

It sounds like he's basically saying: "I'm not racist for hating foreigners and saying that they're poisoning our country, YOU'RE racist for letting foreigners in in the first place! You're trying to overrun all the patriotic, God-fearing Whites!"

Which is, just -- I almost feel pity for him, because what he's saying is deeply stupid. Not just for the fact that it is viciously bigoted, but that it's just so deeply, deeply in denial of how logic works.

I must agree with you.
The following statement is the article's last sentence.

"I don't care what you call us," he said, "but from this moment on please do not ever call us a racist party. We are not a racist party."

Deeply stupid and not even a glancing blow at integrity.

"I don't care what you call us, as long as you call us the way we tell you to."
"Now, stop being mean to us. I said please and whined!"

His is in such a powerful position he can be excused?
if he says Please and stomps his foot saying, "We are Not racists, Daddy!"

I don't know who he is and I don't care.
That sentence is funny.

Children will say stupid shit like that.
Adults will too when tired or drunk.

Was he tired, drunk or childish?
Childish? In England?

I would think you people would be all grown up, by now.
Your nation is old. The US is young. That is Our excuse.

What is your excuse?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Fri May 16, 2014 10:19 am UTC

"Your nation is old. The US is young. That is Our excuse."

Arbitrarily old,(on the scale of mankind 0% difference after rounding) maybe a bit more self entitled(up themself(USA)). Australia is a country of crims. Seems more mature than the USA at least.

A country is only as mature as the people living there. You won't know even when you visit, you only meet a small amount of the people there, sometimes the loudest, sometimes the smartest, sometimes the most ignorant.

The ignorant are often the loudest.

LLCoolDave

Postby LLCoolDave » Fri May 16, 2014 11:32 am UTC

krogoth wrote:The ignorant are often the loudest.

And if they are also the smartest, you better run.

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Fri May 16, 2014 12:25 pm UTC

Why? If they think I'm a threat, they aren't smart.

Well, I assume. The truly smart, don't want to hurt others that don't want to do harm.

Just IMO anyway.

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Fri May 16, 2014 12:31 pm UTC

What happens when you get a straight talking biker, a bible thumping curmudgeon, a governor, and state senator talking current issues? Why, it's the 2014 Idaho GOP Governor's debate!!!
It's about an hour long, but worth it. If you don't have an hour, there are some highlights here: Washington Post link
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Fri May 16, 2014 1:47 pm UTC

'murica. Nuff said?

addams

Postby addams » Fri May 16, 2014 1:50 pm UTC

krogoth wrote:The cat story

The one time I think shooting in defense of your family is obviously warranted.

Spoiler:
I'm not saying there aren't other times, just this is 'obviously warranted' rather than gun defense for home invasion that I don't think a person has enough information to make an educated decision in the time the other person could pull the trigger, or know they aren't a threat.

ReThink!!
How good a shot are you??

It is OK to shoot in that situation if you have decided Gun Shot Wound is a better way to die.
FUCK! How good are you? How good do you think you are?

Can you do it while out of breath and shaking with some AssHole Screaming?

That screaming noise is your own voice.
Stop making that sound and shoot?

If you are close enough to be sure of the shot;
Then Hit the Fucker in the Head!
Spoiler:
(A hammer is a good Tool.)

That was hardly a first class mauling.
That animal was a puppy. He lacked skill.

The kid got up and walked away.
Stupid Story:
Spoiler:
I saw a Chow Dog bite an eight year old child in the face.
There was hardly a scratch. No stitches needed.

That child's face swelled up like she had been punched in the face by an adult.
I saw the dog do it. It happened so fast.

I was standing right there.
The child was down on the floor, playing.

The dog hit her. She stood up, I picked her up.
The dog did not 'go after' me.

I like dogs.
I did not like That dog.
Nor, it's master

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Fri May 16, 2014 2:02 pm UTC

That dog wasn't a puppy, but luckily wasn't brought up in a fighting home, as that bread of wolf is bread for.

However pushing a gun into the side of an animal that has only teeth, is a far different bag to an animal with a gun that can respond before you target it and hit your vital organs before you are inflicting major pain to it.
It would be a far stretch of the imagination for a dog to actually go for the throat of a human. If you've spent any time around dogs, humans, and either's fighting ability, and especially when when they both know the other is there. (an arm is an instinctive and quick cover for the throat.)

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri May 16, 2014 2:05 pm UTC

krogoth wrote:'murica. Nuff said?

IDAHO. Saying all of America is this because of a state with more cows than people is like me saying all of Europe is a church bureaucracy because of the Vatican.

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Fri May 16, 2014 2:11 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:

IDAHO. Saying all of America is this because of a state with more cows than people is like me saying all of Europe is a church bureaucracy because of the Vatican.

Is that really accurate? Maybe because you haven't anything better to offer? I understand that, one of our local votes could go to someone that looks like a bikie and is as I have been told a part of a local non-lawful group.

Really it's more a joke that all governments are really about voting for the lesser evil.

addams

Postby addams » Fri May 16, 2014 2:17 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:

The US has problems.
No. Not all Moms take Smack with them to pick up their Sons from Jail.
Many fucking Do! I swear. I was shocked. That does not keep it from being True.

My world has been populated with Alcoholics, off and on all of my life.
Not all alcoholics are the same.

My world has been populated with Addicts, too.
Off and On all of my life.

Some are Classy people.
I have discovered The Other Kind.

The problem is not the Drugs.
(Although; I think Meth is a special problem.)

The problem is not The Drugs!
The problem is Trashy, Undereducated, Undisciplined, Illogical, Stupid People!

If that woman had any Class at all, she would not be in Jail.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri May 16, 2014 2:19 pm UTC

The governor of Idaho is named "Butch Otter"?

I'm calling Poe's law on Idaho.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri May 16, 2014 2:21 pm UTC

Idaho has 2.2m cows, and 1.6m people.

Would you rather I pointed out that a) Sarah Palin was born there, or b) "Idaho" as a name has no meaning? No seriously, it's a made up word.

Don't worry, I still love ya. Gotta get my lentils and potatoes from somewhere.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Fri May 16, 2014 2:24 pm UTC

I can't Photoshop a picture of an otter in bondage gear just at the moment, so you'll all have to use your imaginations.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

krogoth

Postby krogoth » Fri May 16, 2014 2:27 pm UTC

To addams, I am an Alcoholic, and I accept it as a drug problem (I'm very literal).

As you said, "Not all alcoholics are the same." I call myself a functioning alcoholic, I won't let it affect others lives. only on the weekend, if it effects my job I stop it.
Some people call it youth, it's still not something I'm happy with.

I have issues, many of them, but no-matter how bad I feel or poorly I do, I try my best for others.
I wouldn't let my personal effect others in a way they don't want to be effected.(as far as I can know)

Is ohio made up? its round on the ends and high in the middle? bad markie bad puns.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri May 16, 2014 4:17 pm UTC

Nono, the word "Idaho" supposedly meant "gem of the mountains", but it turned out the guy calling it that had pulled it out of his ass. But the name stuck. "Ohio" is a Iroquois word for "great river". Which is odd because I live on that river and it's not so great. Meets up with a great one though, the Mississippi. But when it does it's bigger than the Mississippi, so technically the Mississippi should be renamed the Ohio, or maybe the Ohio should be renamed Mississippi.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:25 pm UTC

But "Mississippi" just means "Great River" in Ojibwe.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri May 16, 2014 4:45 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:I can't Photoshop a picture of an otter in bondage gear just at the moment, so you'll all have to use your imaginations.
Thanks to subculture slang, there's most like an inordinate amount of images of that out there already.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

addams

Postby addams » Sat May 17, 2014 4:42 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
ahammel wrote:I can't Photoshop a picture of an otter in bondage gear just at the moment, so you'll all have to use your imaginations.
Thanks to subculture slang, there's most like an inordinate amount of images of that out there already.

Prove it.

The entire world is Rocking.
Japan is rethinking it's relationship to the US.
http://news.yahoo.com/amid-controversy- ... 49919.html

This little piece of strange news may be a turning point in Human Events.
70 years or so. Seventy years of working toward World Peace.

Seventy years.....
It was going along ok, for a while.

"Rome was not built in a day." as they say.
Rome can be taken apart in less than a day.

Destruction and War are faster and easier than Creation and Peace.
Peace is for people that like a challenge.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon May 19, 2014 6:20 am UTC

Black taxi driver defends right to be a Nazi.

I have some weird sort of admiration of his determination, all things considered (being black... claiming to be a Nazi anyways...), but overall it's just... odd.

Return to “News & Articles”