Apple's Patented Concert Anti-Piracy

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

sardia

Apple's Patented Concert Anti-Piracy

Postby sardia » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:47 am UTC

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/0 ... piracy/?hp
In short, when you are near a zone that has infrared beams IDing an area, your camera is shut off. It has other uses, such as pairing a beam with information sent to your phone. It's not great anti-piracy measures, but considering the stereotyped apple user, it's pretty good versus them.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Re: Apple's Patented Concert Anti-Piracy

Postby Xeio » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:56 am UTC

It'd be disabled by modders so quick...

And even if they built it into the firmware you just get an infrared filter and stick it over the camera.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:03 am UTC

I wonder if this could be made secure enough to use around classified material. The U.S. Navy facility where I work doesn't allow personal cameras, including those in phones, on base due to the presence of classified material. There are a couple phone models without cameras that are approved for one base use, but they may be obsolete. Some people have had their phones' cameras permanently disabled.

Like Xeio says, it'd could probably be gotten around fairly easily. But, anyone malicious enough to do that is malicious enough to sneak a camera in anyway. Maybe this could help stop accidental spillage.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:14 am UTC

Or, Iunno, get any kind of camera that ISN'T also a wireless communications device? Like, I don't know, a CAMERA?
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

iamevn

Postby iamevn » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:33 am UTC

so wait... people actually use cellphone cameras for recording a concert? the audio quality has to be absolute crap with the mic in the iPhone.

also as far as I knew, recording a concert for the purpose of re-watching it later yourself is entirely legal. This sort of thing would punish those doing it for entirely legal reasons and those who really want to bootleg a concert with quality equipment still would.

if this sort of thing does come out, I know what I am going to be keeping in my pockets everywhere :)

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:38 am UTC

iamevn wrote:so wait... people actually use cellphone cameras for recording a concert? the audio quality has to be absolute crap with the mic in the iPhone.

also as far as I knew, recording a concert for the purpose of re-watching it later yourself is entirely legal. This sort of thing would punish those doing it for entirely legal reasons and those who really want to bootleg a concert with quality equipment still would.

if this sort of thing does come out, I know what I am going to be keeping in my pockets everywhere :)

Tape?

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:41 am UTC

I can understand why a company would want sell me a crippled piece of media, like a DVD that I couldn't copy. But why would someone want to put a crippled recording device on the market? In other words, when I'm looking at a shelf full of camera-phones, why would I be anything but less eager to buy the one that can be disabled at will by anyone standing in front of me?

iamevn

Postby iamevn » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:52 am UTC

sardia wrote:
iamevn wrote:so wait... people actually use cellphone cameras for recording a concert? the audio quality has to be absolute crap with the mic in the iPhone.

Tape?

no, an infared device that I can control the signal on.

I'll be un-photographable!!!

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:55 am UTC

Tirian wrote:I can understand why a company would want sell me a crippled piece of media, like a DVD that I couldn't copy. But why would someone want to put a crippled recording device on the market? In other words, when I'm looking at a shelf full of camera-phones, why would I be anything but less eager to buy the one that can be disabled at will by anyone standing in front of me?

That's just it, camera-phones, not cameras. If the iPhone only offers this camera option, you really don't have much choice in the matter (I'm assuming Nokia and/or Droid doing something similar).

It's what happens when you have a few blah blah blah free culture blah blah appliances replacing computers blah blah blah. You've heard it all before, I'm sure.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:55 am UTC

In about five minutes both the police and criminals will employ gadgets to simulate the infrared signal.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:58 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
Tirian wrote:I can understand why a company would want sell me a crippled piece of media, like a DVD that I couldn't copy. But why would someone want to put a crippled recording device on the market? In other words, when I'm looking at a shelf full of camera-phones, why would I be anything but less eager to buy the one that can be disabled at will by anyone standing in front of me?

That's just it, camera-phones, not cameras. If the iPhone only offers this camera option, you really don't have much choice in the matter (I'm assuming Nokia and/or Droid doing something similar).

It's what happens when you have a few blah blah blah free culture blah blah appliances replacing computers blah blah blah. You've heard it all before, I'm sure.

Except that it's patented, so they can't do something similar. Unless they want to pay Apple for the privilege of breaking their phones so that, what, Apple can make money selling the jammers to theaters and the Iranian government and whoever else wants one. Or wouldn't they rather differentiate themselves from Apple by being the company that lets YOU take responsibility for securing rights to your own content?

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:00 am UTC

What? Because criminals are worried about patents?
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:06 am UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:In about five minutes both the police and criminals will employ gadgets to simulate the infrared signal.

Oh GOD, I just thought about the ramifications of this. Good luck getting evidence if an officer violates your rights in any way.....
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:53 am UTC

That's not... good, right? I mean, your argument would then be, "Show me the dash camera footage, also why did you turn <this anti-camera system> on in this situation that clearly did not call for it". I don't see this becoming a particular problem with regards to police brutality, but the cynic I keep inside begs to differ.
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:35 pm UTC

Yeah, see, suddenly it becomes your word against theirs, and that's usually doomed to failure.
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.

Robot_Raptor

Postby Robot_Raptor » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:58 pm UTC

iamevn wrote:no, an infared device that I can control the signal on.

I'll be un-photographable!!!

ahem.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:18 pm UTC

IIRC there was already a thread on here about how the courts ruled that you couldn't use independant footage of cops in court.

KittenKaboodle

Postby KittenKaboodle » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:27 pm UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:IIRC there was already a thread on here about how the courts ruled that you couldn't use independant footage of cops in court.

That sounds unlikely for a court of law, but maybe... However it is most certainly not true for the "court of public opinion" Remember Rondney King? after the cops were aquited in their first trial, the Feds had to find something else to chagre and convict them on because the public demaded it.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:46 pm UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:IIRC there was already a thread on here about how the courts ruled that you couldn't use independant footage of cops in court.
No universally, but I believe there was a state or two that passed a law somewhat like that

edit: here we go. A few states have made it illegal to record on-duty police officers: http://gizmodo.com/5553765/are-cameras-the-new-guns
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Return to “News & Articles”