Apple WWDC 2011 stuff. iOS, iCloud, iMessages, etc

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Apple WWDC 2011 stuff. iOS, iCloud, iMessages, etc

Postby Steax » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:52 pm UTC

Is this the spot? I think there was an old thread in N&A on the ipad.. Lets see.. Yeah, here. It's kinda fun to read.

TechCrunch stuff:
Liveblog
Highlights
iOS 5 stuff

and of course, Apple.

Some things worth talking about:

iOS:
- Notifications ala android, iMessaging (or something) ala BBM/google chat, notifications on lock screen ala jailbroken iStuff.
- Twitter integration into eeeevvveeeerrrryyythhhiiing. It seems 'tweet' is the new 'send to email'.
- iCloud to everything. You have a copy of your photos, documents, etc on the cloud, auto-syncs to all devices when they get wifi (once a day). Cue privacy hailstorm. Free 5GB for everyone, not including music and photos. Also goes to PCs.
- Music you got through itunes are available on the cloud. Everything else? Pay em $25 a year and they'll sync the rest.
- Camera actually has photo editing features, like cropping!
- iPad gets REAL TABS! And a read-later feature. And a simplified "reader" format.
- Reminders. A to-do list. Glad I didn't buy Things or stuff like that. It also allows alerts based on proximity to places, really useful for me personally.
- Wifi sync. Finally.

OS X Lion:
- No DVDs. Only via app store, which means snow leopard. 4gb download.
- $30. Though, if you don't have snow leopard, a lot more.
- Two-finger scroll down actually makes the page scroll up, ala iOS. Will take getting used to, but sometimes I do it unconsciously.
- Resume; apps that support it will save their state on shutdown and will return when activated again. Also removes the indicator lights that show which apps are on.
- Auto-saving. I think I'll turn this one off a lot.

And hundreds more lion stuff. Literally.

_____

I'm most interested in the twitter integration. I for one really want it so I can use people's twitter pictures for contacts; it's awkward asking for a photo whenever I add people to my list. Also, if I ever forget who the heck this person on my list is, I can go to their twitter page and figure out what they do and how I might know them...

... but facebook could also do that. That is, if they don't decide to hide their stuff, if we're not friends, which is getting more common.

Also, 4GB Lion download. Oh dear.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Endless Mike

Re: Apple WWDC 2011 stuff. iOS, iCloud, iMessages, etc

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:20 pm UTC

I'm *pretty* sure last time they talked about the scrolling bit, they said it can be switched back. iMessage is kind of pointless, but Blackberry people love BBM, so what do I know? iCloud is pretty cool, but it will depend on implementation. The music portion is available today, actually, if you download the the iTunes 10.3 beta.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:42 am UTC

I really think they should've made iMessage before FaceTime, and then make video calling an add-on to that. It just feels a bit weird. =/

Also,

Is there any particular reason they can't just ask for permission to use a real Windows logo?

legopelle

Postby legopelle » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:00 am UTC

Steax wrote:I really think they should've made iMessage before FaceTime, and then make video calling an add-on to that. It just feels a bit weird. =/

Also,

Is there any particular reason they can't just ask for permission to use a real Windows logo?

You expect Jobs to be willing to spend unnecessary money?
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

Solt

Postby Solt » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:15 am UTC

Damn you Apple for shamelessly taking Android features, then waging a patent war regarding all the features others are taking from you!
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

aldonius

Postby aldonius » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:05 am UTC

Screen shot 2011-06-08 at 7.03.12 PM.jpg
Screen shot 2011-06-08 at 7.03.12 PM.jpg (13.03 KiB) Viewed 2269 times

is it just me or is this the 'wrong' font?

iop

Postby iop » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:42 pm UTC

Finally OSX allows resizing windows from all sides. Took them long enough.

Robot_Raptor

Postby Robot_Raptor » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:52 pm UTC

Solt wrote:Damn you Apple for shamelessly taking Android features, then waging a patent war regarding all the features others are taking from you!

All these interface patents are silly and do nothing but stifle innovation.

They need to be gone, or last for a short time, a year or so at most.

(I say the same thing about algorithms, though things like graphics and particular implementations should get the usual copyright protections)

Deep_Thought

Postby Deep_Thought » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:35 pm UTC

iop wrote:Finally OSX allows resizing windows from all sides. Took them long enough.

This is the feature I am most looking forward to. Sooooooooo much.

Does anyone know if XCode 4 is bundled for free with Lion? I assume it is. I'm too cheap to shell out for it in the app store right now, although given the number of 1 star reviews due to every update downloading several gigs that's probably a good thing.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:16 pm UTC

Deep_Thought wrote:
iop wrote:Finally OSX allows resizing windows from all sides. Took them long enough.

This is the feature I am most looking forward to. Sooooooooo much.

Does anyone know if XCode 4 is bundled for free with Lion? I assume it is. I'm too cheap to shell out for it in the app store right now, although given the number of 1 star reviews due to every update downloading several gigs that's probably a good thing.

If nothing else, Lion supposedly includes delta updates for the app store so we don't have to go through crap like this.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:37 pm UTC

I'm pretty pessimistic about the 4gb update though. And I find it amusing when apple-lovers say "that's not much more than an HD movie!", while apple-haters say "think of the people on dial-up"!

I wonder if the huge price cut was really just made up of removing the distribution cost.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:34 pm UTC

Probably not, since Snow Leopard is also $30 for the upgrade. The only difference is that it's $29 for a single copy, $49 for a family pack (although I'm pretty sure they're the exact same discs), while Lion is $29 for every Mac on your account. I would almost put to Apple figuring that they'll get more people spending $30 for it rather than pirate it if it's $100 or whatever.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:06 pm UTC

OS X...or pretty much all of Apple's software, for that matter, is mainly designed to sell their hardware. It's all pretty cheap, considering. I guess they figured it's better this way, to keep people on the upgrade train.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:39 am UTC

I'm excited about the new features of iOS. However, I have an iPhone 3G that I can't even get iOS 4.0+ to run comfortably on and iOS 5.0+ certainly will not run on it. I'm holding out on buying a newer iPhone model because when my last phone was stolen, I lost my early upgrade privileges because I had to buy a new phone, so I'm not eligible for an early upgrade discount until after the iPhone 5 comes out in September[citation needed].

I'm also kind of curious as to whether Lion will run on my Hackintosh Dell Mini. I've been able to upgrade comfortably through the various Snow Leopard versions, so I'm hoping it'll still work this time around.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:47 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I'm excited about the new features of iOS. However, I have an iPhone 3G that I can't even get iOS 4.0+ to run comfortably on and iOS 5.0+ certainly will not run on it.

Yeah, it definitely won't. They said only devices running 4.3 will be able to run 5.0.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:50 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:I'm excited about the new features of iOS. However, I have an iPhone 3G that I can't even get iOS 4.0+ to run comfortably on and iOS 5.0+ certainly will not run on it.

Yeah, it definitely won't. They said only devices running 4.3 will be able to run 5.0.

Well, yes. That's why I used the word "certainly".
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

Deep_Thought

Postby Deep_Thought » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:08 pm UTC

J the Ninja wrote:OS X...or pretty much all of Apple's software, for that matter, is mainly designed to sell their hardware. It's all pretty cheap, considering. I guess they figured it's better this way, to keep people on the upgrade train.

I'd guess there's a lot of reasons for keeping it cheap. Keeping people on the upgrade chain is certainly one - it must be far cheaper for Apple to only support the last couple of OS X releases than it is for Microsoft, who have committed to supporting XP all the way through to 2014! By that point OS X will likely have gone through 9 official releases if they keep up the 2 year cycle. If you are going to require customers to keep upgrading then you will lose people very quickly if you ask for Windows-sized prices. The flip-side to this is Apple's willingness to break backwards-compatibility, while Microsoft make huge efforts to maintain it. Still, I'd expect if MS hadn't made such a humungous cock-up with Vista they would be much closer to Apple's release schedule anyway.

Do Apple break down their financials sufficiently to see how much different software and hardware products contribute to their bottom line? I've often seen the "Apple software sells Apple hardware" line, but considering the marginal cost of distributing an OS is just the physical media, and the majority of the cost is sunk into development, I'd be interested to see how this pans out in the figures.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:15 pm UTC

They've also eased their rules on in-app purchases, which is a good thing. I would tend to believe that some major revenue streams were planning on leaving iOS if this didn't occur.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/10/techn ... apple.html

Return to “News & Articles”