Korea (Multithread Dump)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

plumcandy

Korea (Multithread Dump)

Postby plumcandy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:45 am UTC

plumcandy's not posting any more, as they were just crossposting NK articles across the WHOLE internet, so I'mma just dump all their NKPropaganda and whatnot into this single thread~~Felstaff.

Seemingly, Chinese government has cooperated with North Korea until now. But it was found that China warned North Korea of it's military provocations and the use of armed force. China has been blamed by the world for it's ignorance about economic sanctions & the improvement of human rights against North Korea. But China seems to be anxious about North Korea's unilateral behaviors. (testing nuke, provocations toward South Korea, 3 generations of succession) A few days ago, China said North Korea, "if they attack South Korea again, they must not help North Korea anymore." and they informed South Korea of this. it's difficult for us to guess China's plot, but it looks obvious that China is gradually fed up with North Korea's stupid diplomacy.

:D

Vellyr

Re: China threw away North Korea?

Postby Vellyr » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:24 pm UTC

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... fa05dd.291

Here's the link. Sensationalist thread title much?

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:18 pm UTC

Kinda figured it had to happen sooner or later. China supported N.K. through the cold war when China wanted a buffer state between any likely U.S. invasion staging-areas, but now that their economy is built almost entirely on cheap manufacturing and exporting those products to former cold-war enemies conflict between China and the U.S. would be economically disastrous for both countries (though possibly moreso to China than the U.S., there's plenty of countries that have cheap labor and/or lax environmental standards). Grand upshot being it doesn't serve China's interests to have a noisy neighbor prone to shooting of guns at U.S. allies that would force the U.S. to intervene.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:39 pm UTC

Vellyr wrote:http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gk4HTBPirrFwhLhDxHzJoX-niAIw?docId=CNG.b26a888f0db4e09e044a71eb4ffa05dd.291

Here's the link. Sensationalist thread title much?

Excuse the sarcastic response, but

Spoiler:

This is relatively tame I'm afraid. But actually I agree that the title is sensationalist.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:43 pm UTC

Dauric, I don't think that works. For China, the cold war was mostly between them and the Soviet Union, not between them and the US. And North Korea constantly shifted between the two (and stubborn isolationism). China has probably more leverage over North Korea nowadays than it ever had in the cold war.

Vellyr

Postby Vellyr » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Not new, just an itinerant lurker with a penchant for pointing out the obvious. *cough*join date*cough*.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:31 pm UTC

Vellyr wrote:

Not new, just an itinerant lurker with a penchant for pointing out the obvious. *cough*join date*cough*.

*cough* yeah, well, hence the sarcasm. clearly you aren't actually knew here *cough*

God damn, I think I'll have to take a tylenol with codine for that.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

plumcandy

Postby plumcandy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:42 am UTC

thank you all for reply. Nice to meet you all in xkcd. i'm new and a college student studying abroad.
well. i don't think the title sensational here in Asia at least.

plumcandy

Have you heard "the Pencil-Shells"?

Postby plumcandy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:51 am UTC

If this isn't ridiculous beyond belief, I don't know what can be.

This video is named "Pencil Artillery Shells", and it is made for elementary school students in North Korea. Here's the brief summary of the story :

the Protagonist comes back home after being scolded by a friend that he should do his homework first. Today's homework is learning how to use a protractor. However, the protagonist didn't pay attention during class, so instead he doodles things on his notebook (an American soldier's helmet) and falls asleep.

In his dream, an American fleet invades North Korea. The protagonist and his friends try to defend by firing artillery shells made of pencils, but the protagonist doesn't know how to use protractor to aim. Overwhelmed by the evil American fleet, he wakes up from the dream. He says something along the line of "I must study hard and pay attention in class so I can be a great soldier to fight against the Americans". The rest is math lessons.

In the credit, it appears that "Children's Film Creation Group", which received Kim Il-Sung Medal (one of the highest honors available), made this video. Propaganda at its peak, really. Oh me yarm.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Re: Have you heard "the Pencil-Shells"?

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:59 am UTC

Sadly, North Korea vastly overestimates American schoolchild's knowledge of mathematics.

Wodashin

Postby Wodashin » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:47 am UTC

Is there a link to the video somewhere? It's pretty interesting to see the brainwashing that goes on there. And disturbing.

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:41 am UTC

Is this really different than telling people to study hard to beat the Soviets (or terrorists) by building better missiles? The US used to have a National Defense Education Act, with the purpose pretty much exactly as the title suggests.

EDIT: here's the video. It looks very 1960s, which might be either North-Korean fashion or because it really is old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Q7BLKZ3No&feature=player_embedded

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:38 am UTC

It's basically a caricature of what went on in the US and the USSR during the cold war. It's pretty creepy, to be sure, but there are a whole lot of things in North Korea that are way more disturbing than this.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Zamfir

Postby Zamfir » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:16 am UTC

Why is it a caricature, instead of simply the same thing?

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:36 pm UTC

The crackling audio makes me suspect it is quite old.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:48 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:Why is it a caricature, instead of simply the same thing?

I think that particular adjective might have been applied since by today's standards in Not-North Korea, the production style/quality/content is humorously dated.

However, you're absolutely right -- it's very much the same thing that was produced during the Cold War.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:53 pm UTC

Sadly, North Korea vastly overestimates American schoolchild's knowledge of mathematics.

From Scorched Earth to Angry Birds, this generation is ready to defend itself at 750 power and a 37 degree angle.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:37 pm UTC

philsov wrote:From Scorched Earth to Angry Birds, this generation is ready to defend itself at 750 power and a 37 degree angle.

It's a shame that Kitten Cannon happened in the pre-app world.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:40 pm UTC

Well, I mean, so did scorched earth, as mentioned.

Fuck I loved that game.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:59 pm UTC

philsov wrote:

From Scorched Earth to Angry Birds, this generation is ready to defend itself at 750 power and a 37 degree angle.

Man, "Scorched Earth" brings back memories from back in the DOS days. Great game to play with friends.
I looked out across the river today …

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Well, I mean, so did scorched earth, as mentioned.

Fuck I loved that game.

There's a number of variations on Scorched Earth out there, from the original to a 3D Scorched earth, many of them are free too.

Y'know, in case you feel a need to practice before we have to launch our angry-faced styluses at North Korea. Don't forget to buy Rubber Shields and Parachutes.

Sometimes I'd set all the tanks to computer controlled with randomly picked AI levels and watch what happened.

---

As far as the animation, the execution is well done and there's not a lot of editing degradation (lost frames, splice jumps, etc.) . I'm not sure if it's actually old, or if it's relatively new animation done with old equipment. If it's old then the copy they put on you-tube is in surprisingly good condition since film tends to degrade over time even if it's just sitting in the can, while if it's new it would indicate they're using not only dated technology to produce these films, but are using aging equipment as well. From what I know about graphics, illustration and animation, and what little I know of N.Korea I'd guess more the latter than the former.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:14 am UTC

I'm not so sure if this is too different from GI Joe </joke response>

I guess a more similar situation is what Rambo does to the Vietcong.

North Korea has a lot of disturbing things, but I don't think this is one of them. On the contrary, I think it highlights some similarities between our cultures. Overall, dehumanizing our enemies while simultaniously emphisizing importance of education is very very popular in cartoons in general.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

plumcandy

Postby plumcandy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:59 am UTC

their brainwashing is still going on. so funny. everyday they vibed on their country seeing this like a crap.

Deep_Thought

Postby Deep_Thought » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:06 am UTC

Man, you guys are so lucky with your fancy Scorched Earth memories. I had to make do with Gorillas!

Now I really want to find my old 386, a copy of Ultima Underworld 2 and a print-out of the walkthrough. Good memories...such good memories...

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:13 pm UTC

Deep_Thought wrote:Man, you guys are so lucky with your fancy Scorched Earth memories. I had to make do with Gorillas!

Now I really want to find my old 386, a copy of Ultima Underworld 2 and a print-out of the walkthrough. Good memories...such good memories...

*Boom! Duhn! Duhn! Duhn! Duhn!"

Yeah, good old 386. I got Dosbox just to play all the old games I loved (Civ~, Stronghold), and some of the old games I wish I had loved (MoO, MoM). Star Control II doesn't need dosbox (thanks to all the fans). Oh, never got around to UUW 2, or finishing 1 for that matter.

Back to topic, North Korea will be remembered far longer than the South Korea. When the 4th millenium chooses a nation to produce an HBO tv series (or whatever entertainment they will have), which one do you think will be chosen? Hey, we talk more about Vlad von Dracul than any other minor noble in nearly insignificant parts of the world, even though most of the stuff is mostly made up (i.e., think of him as the Renaissance Bruce Schneier).

plumcandy

Why Northern Kingdom’s heir had plastic surgeries

Postby plumcandy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:28 am UTC

i'm studying in a korean university now and learning korean language. i could hear shocking stuffs from South & North Korea frequently.
i read some articles about North Korea today. the article is here, You could know how extremely North is making a foundation for the succession. awesome.
no, awful.

i wonder how much this like North's efforts to be effective for people. i'm so curious about their system.

Kim Jung-un, heir apparent to North Korean leader Kim Jon-il, allegedly had several plastic surgeries before his public debut.

The secret was revealed during a conference held by Royal United Services Institute for Defense and Security at London.

According to Ha Tae-kyung, representative of Open Radio for North Korea, Kim Jung-un was designated as the successor in 2007, and had about six plastic surgeries before making his first official appearance in 2010.

The purpose of the surgeries was to make Kim look more like his late grandfather Kim Ill-sung, the nation’s still-beloved founder.

Fujimoto Kenji, a Japanese chef who served in the North, told reporters that he could not recognize Jung-un at the Labor Party Representatives Meeting last September.

Ha said that the North is going through numerous internal measures to consolidate Jung-un’s leadership, while civilians are not fond of him due to failures including the currency reform, which led to massive inflation.

Ha and his team are traveling Europe, visiting Germany and England to reveal violations of human rights in concentration camps across North Korea.

plumcandy

Which Country will be the location for 2018 Winter Olympic

Postby plumcandy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:43 am UTC

2018 Winter Olympic is now a big deal in here, Korea. All of Korean celebrities (Vancouver Olympic Goldmedalist Kim yu-na, current korea president-Lee Myeong bak..etc) are striving to host it. I heard, it's the third time for Pyeongchang to challenge the winter olympics. Korea's supporters had to go through ordeals for past failures. this time, Lee myeong-bak current Korea president , he will give a presentation as the last speaker. I think he will be pressured by this presentation. because he has to attract many IOC committee members and show all of Pyeongchang and it's merit as the place suitable for the winter olympic. Which country will get the lucky ? What's your thought?

1. Germany Munich 2. Korea Pyeongchang 3. France Annecy

I vote for Korea, because i live in korea now. haha :-)

Adacore

Re: Which Country will be the location for 2018 Winter Olymp

Postby Adacore » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:53 am UTC

Hmm... I'd totally not heard about the bid, and I'm living here. I'll probably be gone by 2018 though (unless I find a Korean wife who wants to stay here). Either way, I hope Korea wins!

EDIT: Korea got it. Yays!

plumcandy

Re: Which Country will be the location for 2018 Winter Olymp

Postby plumcandy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:13 am UTC

yeah! I knew it yesterday, My Korean friends are so excited by that news. that's quite impressive thing.

plumcandy

"Guys, is it difficult for you to put your hands together?

Postby plumcandy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:55 am UTC

The public etiquette is a hot issue now in Korea. a Korean girl wrote her opinion on a free board that guys should have their hands together at the subway. Another girl who agree with her also said, "I got upset about by the grandpa next me, he was standing at attention. but he punched my butt repeatedly with his clenched fist. I guess, he just pretended to be swayed by subway running " Seeing this, Korean guys are saying, "We have be tutankhaman at the subway? NO WAY" Just Funny. Watching Korean news, I guess, Some perverts in Korea have an ability to molest even with having their hands together. their technology is so progressed. lol

[Another News]

SEOUL, July 7 (Yonhap) -- Korea Midland Power Co., a unit of South Korea's state-run power monopoly Korea Electric Power Corp. (KEPCO), said Thursday that it has signed an agreement with three other companies to build and manage a hydroelectric power plant in northern Vietnam.

The agreement calls for Korea Midland Power and the three partners to jointly construct and operate a 40-megawatt hydroelectric power plant along the Nam Muc River in Dien Bien Province, some 300 kilometer west of Hanoi.

they did a good job.

I...uh...what? I'm not even sure what this is about. PM me with a link to the relevant news article and explain it a bit more if you want it reopened. -Hawk

plumcandy

Kim il-sung was murdered by his son ?

Postby plumcandy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:40 am UTC

17 years have passed from the death of Kim il sung and there have been a lot of rumors for that in North Korea.

North Korea government said that he died of natural causes. but Some of North Korea's high-ranking officials and experts guessed, "Kim il-sung was murdered by his son Kim jong-il"

Before his death (1994), Mr. Kim seems to be very healthy to take care of the North-South Korean talks & Nuke systems and he avowed that he can control for 10 years more. they said, there might be several conflicts between Kim il-sung & Kim jong-il in the difference in opinion about the North-South Korean talks (At that time, Kim jung il objected to it) that made him (Kim il-sung) feel guilty.

they said, His natural death could be plotted by his son jong-il. this opinion is gaining ground more and more.
Anonymous North Korean officials carefully prospected that Kim jong il will be murdered by his son jong-eun like he did to his father in the near future.

i got this news today morning on Korea portal site, this article was quite interesting. it reminds the kingdom's past power strife. i think their regression is keep going.

Adacore

Re: Kim il-sung was murdered by his son ?

Postby Adacore » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:55 am UTC

While the North is definitely not a good place, you probably do have to take stories about DRK in the South Korean press with a pinch of salt. The propaganda machine is certainly in operation here, if to a significantly lesser degree than the insanity in the North. It's not entirely unbelievable - I mean, patricide wasn't unheard of in medieval societies, which were mostly absolute monarchies with similar succession mechanics, but I'm not sure it really matters that much. It's generally accepted that Kim Jong-il isn't a terribly nice person, and I'm far more certain that he's endorsed the executions of many, many other people.

On a more general note, you've posted something like 5 threads about Korea in the past fortnight, mostly about the ROK/DRK situation from an understandably heavily pro-ROK point of view, and it's starting to grate just a little. This isn't a Korean discussion board, I think I only know of one or two other forumites based here, so it might be best to confine this sort of stuff to a single thread?

plumcandy

Postby plumcandy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:14 am UTC

On a more general note, you've posted something like 5 threads about Korea in the past fortnight, mostly about the ROK/DRK situation from an understandably heavily pro-ROK point of view, and it's starting to grate just a little. This isn't a Korean discussion board, I think I only know of one or two other forumites based here, so it might be best to confine this sort of stuff to a single thread?

Thank you for advice. well, I have no intention to keep posting S.N korea only.

How can i confine this kind of stuff to a single thread? could you tell me the way?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:26 am UTC

Just.. reply to your own threads with whatever extra stuff you have.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:50 am UTC

Il Sung wasn't young when he died, and he'd been grooming Jong Il for quite a while before that. This implies a natural death, and one Il Sung was expecting. Further, Jong Il wasn't expected to remain leader past 1994, and it was a little bit extraordinary he was able to consolidate his position. If he murdered his father for political gain, he chose a very strange moment to do so.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

plumcandy

China-S.Korea Pretend to be close

Postby plumcandy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:22 am UTC

Defense chiefs of South Korea and China on Friday agreed to establish an annual “strategic defense dialogue,” paving the way for enhanced cooperation in tackling peninsular and regional security issues, officials said.

During their talks in Beijing, Defense Minister Kim Kwan-jin and his Chinese counterpart Gen. Liang Guanglie also expressed their opposition to “any acts that undermine peace and stability” on the Korean Peninsula and in the region. (this is the ironical point, China has acquiesced acts undermining peace & stability)

However, in an unprecedented press announcement issued after the talks, there was no mention of North Korea as the culprit in the torpedoing of the corvette Cheonan and the artillery attack on Yeonpyeong Island. (Both are proved internationally as N.Korea's attacks)

Critics here said the belligerent state should have been mentioned to send it a strong message and deter future provocations.

Observers had expected the two sides would fail to mention the North with China reluctant to blame its staunch communist ally for the attacks that killed 50 South Koreans including two civilians.

More jump to
: http://www.koreaherald.com/national/...20110715000621

I think they pretend to cooperate with each other just covering their weak & poor relationship. China has been avoiding many sensitive problems (like North Korea's provocations against S. Korea, the issue of prisoners) and has stuck S.Korea in a double-bind. Consequentially, I guess S.Korea won't do any military actions properly since China's strategy.

PeterCai

Re: China-S.Korea Pretend to be close

Postby PeterCai » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:37 am UTC

And I believe that it's misleading to use your opinion as the thread title, alleviating its status to be more than mere opinion.
(this is the ironical point, China has acquiesced acts undermining peace & stability)

What act, exactly?
Observers had expected the two sides would fail to mention the North with China reluctant to blame its staunch communist ally for the attacks that killed 50 South Koreans including two civilians.

The main reason here is to avoid aggravating NK during it's power transition.

plumcandy

Postby plumcandy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:55 am UTC

And I believe that it's misleading to use your opinion as the thread title, alleviating its status to be more than mere opinion.
(this is the ironical point, China has acquiesced acts undermining peace & stability)
What act, exactly?

They (China, S.Korea) expressed their opinion to oppose any acts threateinig Korea peninsula & Northeast Asia. but ironically, China has acquiesced that kind of act such as N.korea's several provocations, threatening with nuke testing, nuke weapon, japanese detained in N.Korea. etc. both (China.S.korea) have said that they will make an effort to improve their relationship. both countrie's defense chiefs' meeting is a part of that. but they couldn't make outcome well. because of their diffrent thoughts against N.korea. As for me, they seem to pretend to be close diplomatically. china needs to be neutral to use N.S korea for a long time and not to make any matters disturbing them(china).

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:13 am UTC

plumcandy wrote:
PeterCai wrote:And I believe that it's misleading to use your opinion as the thread title, alleviating its status to be more than mere opinion.
plumcandy wrote:(this is the ironical point, China has acquiesced acts undermining peace & stability)

What act, exactly?

They (China, South Korea) expressed their opinion to oppose any acts threatening the Korean peninsula & Northeast Asia. But ironically, China has acquiesced that kind of act, such as North Korea's several provocations, threatening with nuclear testing, nuclear weapons, Japanese detained in North Korea. etc. Both China and South Korea have said that they will make an effort to improve their relationship. Both country's defense chiefs' meeting is a part of that. But they couldn't make a good outcome. Because of their different thoughts against North Korea. As for me, they seem to pretend to be close diplomatically. China needs to be neutral to use North and South Korea for a long time and not to make any matters disturbing them(china).

Reformatted for legibility.

Mittagessen

Postby Mittagessen » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:12 pm UTC

Ahh, the other Israel-Palestine-ish discussion.

plumcandy wrote:They (China, S.Korea) expressed their opinion to oppose any acts threateinig Korea peninsula & Northeast Asia. china needs to be neutral to use N.S korea for a long time and not to make any matters disturbing them(china).

You believe China trying to keep North Korea a (more or less) functioning country and doing everything it can to not deepen the rather stalinistic paranoia of the North is threatening the peace, political and economic stability in the region? China will do anything to keep several million refugees swimming through the Yalu river, ie. they will spend considerable ressources to keep North Korea from disintegrating. And if that means looking the other way when the North and South bloody each others noses every few months so be it. Allowing Kim-Jong-Il to launch a few mortar grenades after some construction crew on the border (and letting the South lob some back) is probably the best way to garantuee economic stability and peace-ish conditions for the whole region.

Return to “News & Articles”