[NEWS] the small city made a miracle

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

plumcandy

[NEWS] the small city made a miracle

Postby plumcandy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:08 pm UTC

At last, 2018 winter olympics will be held in Pyeongchang! It's truly a dream come true for all South Koreans.

South Korea hosted the 1988 Summer Olympics, 2002 World Cup, and is now ready to host yet another major world event, the 2018 Winter Olympics.

South Korea is renowned worldwide for it's superb management of all preparatory work that was conducted in the previous games.

World leaders around the globe are congratulating the leadership fo the South Korean President Myung-bak Lee, as he succeeded in gaining support for the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games as well as the 2000 ASEM, 2005 APEC Summit, and the 2010 G20 Seoul Summit.

A week before the vote, President Lee flew over to Durban to promote Pyeongchang's bid for the games and to encourage the South Korean team there. No doubt the IOC recognized and appreciated all the efforts that the President put into this 2018 Winter Olympics bid.

We wish all South Koreans best of luck as they put together their efforts in preparing for this big event, and we are confident that Pyeongchang will successfully host the Winter Olympic games so that all around the world may participate in and enjoy these games. Again we congratulate Pyeongchang, the host of the 2018 Winter Olympic Games!

Korea did it finally. Maybe I have to stay longer in korea to see their winter olympic. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzgjxRF6DU4&feature=related

Tiberius

Re: [NEWS] the small city made a miracle

Postby Tiberius » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

What about when the region is a war zone between now and then.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:03 pm UTC

Population (2004) 46,531. And that's for the entire region, as far as I can tell. That is indeed a small city.

In fact, that's so small that organizing the olympics would cost them tens of thousands per citizen. I assume they are getting massive subsidies for the national government? Also the region is probably very touristic? Otherwise building all the required infrastructure (stadiums, places to stay for athletes etc) there seems like a huge waste.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:28 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Population (2004) 46,531. And that's for the entire region, as far as I can tell. That is indeed a small city.

In fact, that's so small that organizing the olympics would cost them tens of thousands per citizen. I assume they are getting massive subsidies for the national government? Also the region is probably very touristic? Otherwise building all the required infrastructure (stadiums, places to stay for athletes etc) there seems like a huge waste.

Yeah, it looks like they have been building infrastructure for years in order to do this. Still amazing though, that is one small town suddenly becoming a very huge venue.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:07 pm UTC

As someone who trains with/at the same venue as American and Australian Olympic winter athletes, this is totally cool. I'm kinda curious how they are going to build all the necessary infrastructure and where it is going to go, but I'm pretty stoked on this.
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:42 pm UTC

Should someone dig up the statistics on how its bad financially to host the games?
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:49 pm UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:Should someone dig up the statistics on how its bad financially to host the games?

I thought about it, but I am not completely sure it works against this cities case, as I suspect a lot of the cost is coming from the Korean national government. Although that obviously doesn't bode well for Korea. For that matter this also puts this town on the map, which can bring a lot of long term benefits, more so than a city like Vancouver which already benefits from high name recognition.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

plumcandy

Postby plumcandy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:24 am UTC

Korea government may invest more money for that. but i guess it will be meaningful to boost city's economy in some extent and promote korea like vancouver did

iChef

Postby iChef » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:40 am UTC

Is StarCraft a winter or summer sport in the Olympics?
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:52 am UTC

Diadem wrote:Population (2004) 46,531. And that's for the entire region, as far as I can tell. That is indeed a small city.

So it’s comparable to Lillehammer, and much larger than Lake Placid?
wee free kings

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:52 am UTC

iChef wrote:Is StarCraft a winter or summer sport in the Olympics?

I think if Koreans had their way, it would be both. :D

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:06 am UTC

Qaanol wrote:So it’s comparable to Lillehammer, and much larger than Lake Placid?

Yeah, there are two strategies for the winter olympics: you can hold them in a small town near the mountains, or pretend to hold them in a big town and have most of it in the mountains anyway.

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:18 am UTC

You can build an aerial hill, and even a halfpipe, pretty much anywhere. The halfpipe would be considerably more expensive, but it's somewhat feasible. A slopestyle course would also be feasible, but not really - people complain how short the x-games slope course is, and one made not on a mountain would be even shorter.

And obviously, ski-cross and other race-inspired courses need a mountain. If it didn't mean so much to me on a personal level, I would lose more sleep over this than I already do - I hate it, I hate that the discipline that I love is pretty much inaccessible to a large majority of the people in the world (unlike my other love, parkour).
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:11 am UTC

A few years ago a skating team manager proposed organizing the winter games in the Netherlands, after building a 1000 meter mountain somewhere and covering it with fake snow.

The TV interviewed someone from a dredging company, who said with an admirable straight face that his company would consider building a mountain, although he couldn't give a reliable cost estimate.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:41 am UTC

iChef wrote:Is StarCraft a winter or summer sport in the Olympics?

I think it depends which map you're playing.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Return to “News & Articles”