Parents Sell Children for $500

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Hawknc, Zamfir, Prelates, Moderators General

Parents Sell Children for $500

Postby big boss » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:01 pm UTC

A Chinese couple sold their children to pay for online gaming.

Spoiler:
DONGGUAN, China) -- A young Chinese couple has sold all three of their children in exchange for money to play online games at Internet cafes, reports a southern Chinese newspaper.

According to Sanxiang City News, the couple met in an Internet cafe back in 2007 and bonded over their obsession with online video games. A year later, the parents -- who are both under 21 -- welcomed their first child, a son. Days after his birth, they left him home alone while they went to play online games at an Internet cafe 30 km away.

In 2009, Li Lin and Li Juan welcomed their second child, a baby girl, and came up with the idea to sell her for money to fund their online game obsession. They did so, receiving RMB 3,000 (less than $500), which they spent entirely shortly after. The couple then proceeded to sell their first child and got 10 times as much for him -- RMB 30,000, or about $4600.

Upon having their third child -- another boy -- the parents followed in their previous footsteps and also got RMB 30,000 for him.

They were finally turned into authorities when Li Lin’s mother found out what her son and his girlfriend had done.

When asked if they missed their children, the parents answered, "We don’t want to raise them, we just want to sell them for some money.”

Sanxiang City News reports the couple didn't know they were breaking the law.

Its absurd that the couple is stating they did not know that they were breaking the law, although when I first read the article I asked myself if China even had a law against selling your children...
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."
big boss

Re: Parents Sell Children for $500

Postby sourmìlk » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

I feel like I shouldn't have read this headline out loud in front of my dad.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby Decker » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:25 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote:I feel like I shouldn't have read this headline out loud in front of my dad.

Make sure he holds out for at least $750.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.
Decker

Postby KestrelLowing » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

Assuming the people that bought the kids aren't slavers or something and just people who wanted to adopt, it might be better for the kids.

Still, that's messed up. There's a reason they sell birth control.
KestrelLowing

Postby tzvibish » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:45 pm UTC

Now that the oldest child is a 5 year old, I wonder how he feels.
-Featuring the Comic Strip XKCD!
tzvibish

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

Decker wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:I feel like I shouldn't have read this headline out loud in front of my dad.

I don't think he could possibly get that much if they demand to see the merchandise. And, most buyers aren't as dense as his highness of large angles.
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Lazar » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:15 pm UTC

My cat cost $600. ಠ_ಠ
"Do you wear wigs?" "Have you worn wigs?" "Will you wear wigs?" "When will you wear wigs?"
Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby tzvibish » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

That's how much I spend in diapers alone. In one year.

edit: for my child, not for me.
tzvibish

Postby Radical_Initiator » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:53 pm UTC

tzvibish wrote:That's how much I spend in diapers alone. In one year.

edit: for my child, not for me.

No, adult diapers are much more expensive.
I looked out across the river today …
Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:31 pm UTC

So... it's cheaper to buy a baby than it is to buy a cat? I was going to make a joke involving Chinese food, but just, ugh.
CorruptUser

Postby Triangle_Man » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:52 pm UTC

I am really not sure what to think of this story.

I mean, I'm fairly sure that this is far from ethical or morally right.
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.
Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Qaanol » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:58 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Decker wrote:

I don't think he could possibly get that much if they demand to see the merchandise. And, most buyers aren't as dense as his highness of large angles.

So, has the bidding already begun or what?
Small Government Liberal
Qaanol

Postby Greyarcher » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:10 pm UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:I am really not sure what to think of this story.

I don't know, Triangle_Man. I mean, the buyers get kids they wanted, the kids now belong to people who want them, and the sellers get some money. It's win-win-win! /irony

But yeah, the story is a puzzler since it's so short. Who was buying? Why were they buying? I'm not sure it's necessarily immoral--though the parents certainly seem to have a rather ethically dubious disregard for their offspring. It's certainly a case of amusingly peculiar priorities.
In serious discussion, I usually strive to post with clarity, thoroughness, and precision so that others will not misunderstand; I strive for dispassion and an open mind, the better to avoid error.
Greyarcher

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:12 pm UTC

Qaanol wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:
Decker wrote:

So, has the bidding already begun or what?

Maybe, but do you really want to be part owner of sourmilk?
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby casoid » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:14 pm UTC

tzvibish wrote:Now that the oldest child is a 5 year old, I wonder how he feels.

He should at least get the money.
casoid

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:15 pm UTC

I'll pay $700 for Sourmilk right now if someone can prove he is a virgin.

(That's how much virgins are worth, right?)
CorruptUser

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:17 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I'll pay $700 for Sourmilk right now if someone can prove he is a virgin.

(Slave traders pay more for virgins, right?)

I present to you my evidences
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Negated » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:19 pm UTC

Dongguan is a major city in Guangdong province. I thought parents in Chinese cities are only allowed to have one child.

Irrelevant point aside, I think there are many potential buyers in China. Many parents have only one child because of the one child policy. And if they lost their only child, for example in the Sichuan earthquake few years back, and they are unable to give birth to another, adopting or buying a child is the best way for them. While the parents are clearly immoral, the buyers may have legit reasons for buying the children.
Negated

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:27 am UTC

No, there is no rule that states you can only have one child. You just lose virtually all welfare and other government benefits/payments*. Unless you qualify for some other reason**.

*Meaning you starve, unless you have a very good private sector job. Oh, and massive fines.
**Both parents are single children, the birth was twins, or the first child died or is disabled for non-genetic reasons. Or, are a protected minority (yes they have those in China).
CorruptUser

Postby Arrian » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:18 pm UTC

To be the devil's advocate here, what's the moral difference between giving a child up for adoption and selling the child to someone who wants to skip the adoption waiting list?
Arrian

Postby Decker » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:21 pm UTC

Arrian wrote:

To be the devil's advocate here, what's the moral difference between giving a child up for adoption and selling the child to someone who wants to skip the adoption waiting list?

Taking precautions that the child will be going to a good home?
Decker

Postby Arrian » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:24 pm UTC

Decker wrote:
Arrian wrote:

I'm not particularly familiar with the Chinese adoption process, but does it have as many safeguards as the American process? Is there a higher likelihood that the child will go to a good home if they go through a service than if they're sold? Or are the buyers just effectively paying their bribes to the parents instead of the adoption bureaucracy?
Arrian

Postby Decker » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:26 pm UTC

Arrian wrote:
Decker wrote:
Arrian wrote:

I'm not particularly familiar with the Chinese adoption process, but does it have as many safeguards as the American process?

I really have no idea. All I can say is I imagine no, but it's still loads better than "I'll give you $500 for your kid." "Sold!"
Decker

Postby curtis95112 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:04 pm UTC

Arrian wrote:

Human trafficking is what I'm mainly worried about. I think the government would be more reliable than a stranger offering to buy.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:
Роберт wrote:Sure, but at least they hit the intended target that time.

Well, if you shoot enough people, you're bound to get the right one eventually.

Thats the best description of the USA ever.
curtis95112

Postby tzvibish » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:13 pm UTC

I think the issue here is compounded by the situation that caused it to happen. If the parents were so starved for cash that they needed to sell a child, sure, there would be blame on the parents, but one wonders how a society wasn't able to help in that kind of situation. The bigger problem here is that the reason the kids were sold is because of an addiction, an addiction that many people still won't admit is just as ensnaring as a chemical addiction. People destroy their lives over video games (or, the dopamine release triggered by a sudden rush of escapism [consult your friendly neighborhood shrink for details]) and this is an example of destroying someone else's life (potentially). That's what gets me. A child being sold for money isn't new by any means.
tzvibish

Postby PeterCai » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:18 pm UTC

big boss wrote:although when I first read the article I asked myself if China even had a law against selling your children...

hurr big red china evil durr first world society fuck yeah
Arrian wrote:I'm not particularly familiar with the Chinese adoption process, but does it have as many safeguards as the American process? Is there a higher likelihood that the child will go to a good home if they go through a service than if they're sold? Or are the buyers just effectively paying their bribes to the parents instead of the adoption bureaucracy?

There are fewer safeguards, but it's still an extremely controlled, monitored and regulated process, of course the babies will end up better than sold on a black market. Yes it's very bureaucratic, and much of the process can be simplified/ignored by bribing, but it's still better than nothing.
tzvibish wrote:I think the issue here is compounded by the situation that caused it to happen. If the parents were so starved for cash that they needed to sell a child, sure, there would be blame on the parents, but one wonders how a society wasn't able to help in that kind of situation. The bigger problem here is that the reason the kids were sold is because of an addiction, an addiction that many people still won't admit is just as ensnaring as a chemical addiction. People destroy their lives over video games (or, the dopamine release triggered by a sudden rush of escapism [consult your friendly neighborhood shrink for details]) and this is an example of destroying someone else's life (potentially). That's what gets me. A child being sold for money isn't new by any means.

Agreed. It's also a sad reflection on the massive failure of the chinese government to control video game addiction.
Last edited by PeterCai on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
PeterCai

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:18 pm UTC

curtis95112 wrote:
Arrian wrote:

Human trafficking is what I'm mainly worried about. I think the government would be more reliable than a stranger offering to buy.

Given that this is the China we are talking about, China must have some extremely scary strangers.
CorruptUser

Postby Ryom » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

OUTRAGEOUS! :evil:
They could have gotten at least TWICE that!

Really though, the kids probably aren't going to get the best parenting at home or with the state. :?
Ryom

Postby maybeagnostic » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:41 pm UTC

And looking at the top comment under the story:
Almost definitely made up.

Never heard of this Sanxiang City news, but it's not a major Dongguan paper, none of which have carried this story (which since it's reportedly now a police action, would be odd). But aside from the source, this is a classic, Snopes-worthy morality tale, especially if you look at some of the longer Chinese versions: A story of the post-90s generation, as its labeled in headlines as being, the story starts as teenage puppy love by high schoolers (which since high schools aren't supposed to date is a source of anxiety for adults) after letting their passions free these two young people then drop out of school, move to the city, where they start having sex and playing computer games, to which they become so addicted that they sell the children that they produce from having sex! It is the virtuous grandmother who turns them in.

The poster isn't necessarily correct but the story seems rather unreliable. Also googling the story shows this Sanxiang City newspaper as the only source even though I can't actually find any information about the newspaper itself.
T: ... through an emergency induction port.
S: That's a straw, Tali.
T: Emerrrgency induction port.
maybeagnostic

Postby PeterCai » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:47 pm UTC

the story is not faked, here's one of the many sources:
http://www.025ct.com/xinwen/chengshiyaowen/45069.html

it's gathered quite a lot of controversy here in china
PeterCai

Return to News & Articles