Kanon Tipton, 4-Year-Old Preacher

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Kanon Tipton, 4-Year-Old Preacher

Postby Iulus Cofield » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:49 pm UTC

Video of 4 year old Kanon Tipton's "sermons" and a interview with him and his parents

Kanon Tipton, 4-Year-Old Preacher, Gains YouTube Fame

Spoiler:
The Huffington Post wrote:Kanon Tipton, 4, first took the microphone at his family's church when he was just 21 months old. Two years and a few million YouTube hits later, the young preacher has developed quite a reputation. His emotional delivery, dramatic cadence and back-and-forth pacing behind the pulpit are faithful replications of the mannerisms he's seen demonstrated by other preachers.

On Tuesday, Kanon and his parents appeared on NBC's The Today Show to talk about the young preacher's amazing talent. Asked whether he thought Kanon has a true calling for ministry or if he was merely mimicking what he had seen from others, Kanon's father, Pastor Damon Tipton, said, "I think it's a little of both ... I do feel like the hand of God is on him in a special way." Kanon is the third generation of preachers in his family, following in the footsteps of both his father and grandfather.

I am all kinds of uncomfortable with this.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Re: Kanon Tipton, 4-Year-Old Preacher

Postby Radical_Initiator » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:57 pm UTC

Iulus Cofield wrote:Video of 4 year old Kanon Tipton's "sermons" and a interview with him and his parents

Kanon Tipton, 4-Year-Old Preacher, Gains YouTube Fame

Spoiler:
The Huffington Post wrote:Kanon Tipton, 4, first took the microphone at his family's church when he was just 21 months old. Two years and a few million YouTube hits later, the young preacher has developed quite a reputation. His emotional delivery, dramatic cadence and back-and-forth pacing behind the pulpit are faithful replications of the mannerisms he's seen demonstrated by other preachers.

On Tuesday, Kanon and his parents appeared on NBC's The Today Show to talk about the young preacher's amazing talent. Asked whether he thought Kanon has a true calling for ministry or if he was merely mimicking what he had seen from others, Kanon's father, Pastor Damon Tipton, said, "I think it's a little of both ... I do feel like the hand of God is on him in a special way." Kanon is the third generation of preachers in his family, following in the footsteps of both his father and grandfather.

I am all kinds of uncomfortable with this.

Crazy GD Father wrote:"I do feel like the hand of God is on him ..."

Cue Chris Hansen, stage left.
I looked out across the river today …

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:58 pm UTC

Well, exhibiting the young for what's perceived to be extraordinary whatever is nothing new.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:00 pm UTC

He does seem to be enjoying himself anyway.
I AM kind of worried about what might be expected of him in the future.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Mittagessen

Postby Mittagessen » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:04 pm UTC

Oh god this has almost infinite potential for jokes about Catholic priests.

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:05 pm UTC

Kids are extraordinary mimics at that age. It's just that most kids mimic scenes from their favorite TV shows or movies, rather than sermons.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

Aetius

Postby Aetius » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:10 pm UTC

It shows the strength of the reinforcing delusion that when presented with evidence that a four year old can do something they've revered adults for doing, the reaction isn't to immediately realize "well I guess there really isn't much to this after all."

fuzzycuzzy

Postby fuzzycuzzy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:15 pm UTC

dude, I wish I believed in God... I have a feeling I'd make an excellent preacher
...maybe if I just swap out the word "God" for "Darwin"

[cue British accent]
Darwin wants you to be happy! Every muscle in your body had geared you for success. But sometimes your body is so eager to fulfill its wishes that one part trips over the other, and you get confused. Strive to understand what your body is telling you, and get closer to the Darwin. Don't give in to temptation! Temptation is just a corruption of your desire to maintain homeostasis...

and on and on and on

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:18 pm UTC

"I think it's a little of both ... I do feel like the hand of God is on him in a special way."
Can't...roll...eyes...hard enough...
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:34 pm UTC

Can I be allowed to beat the parents for naming the poor kid "Kanon" in the first place?
I looked out across the river today …

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:44 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:
"I think it's a little of both ... I do feel like the hand of God is on him in a special way."

My first thought was that "...hand of God is on him in a special way" is a terrible turn of phrase.

"... show us on the doll where God touched you."
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:46 am UTC

Dauric wrote:
Princess Marzipan wrote:

My first thought was that "...hand of God is on him in a special way" is a terrible turn of phrase.

"... show us on the doll where God touched you."

It will be thrown out of court when they realize God only touched the kid on the doll.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:23 am UTC

Well, fuck. That was extremely unsettling.

Something about the ominous music I think they added to the video really didn't help either.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:34 am UTC

Spoilered for OT silliness
Spoiler:
fuzzycuzzy wrote:dude, I wish I believed in God... I have a feeling I'd make an excellent preacher

[cue British accent]
Darwin wants you to be happy! Every muscle in your body had geared you for success. But sometimes your body is so eager to fulfill its wishes that one part trips over the other, and you get confused. Strive to understand what your body is telling you, and get closer to the Darwin. Don't give in to temptation! Temptation is just a corruption of your desire to maintain homeostasis...

and on and on and on

May I suggest instead using "Ninja?" If I weren't Christian, I'd probably try and found a religion based on the idea that there is/are no God(s), just a ninja. One. The sun rises each day because he builds a new one in the east, and sets because at noon, he hits it with a poisoned dart, causing it to fall into the west to die. Then he runs really fast back to the east to make a new one (he's a ninja, he can do that.)

Thus, it's also important to behave, because the mighty ninja could be anywhere at any time, watching you (you can't see him of course, he's a ninja!). And at ANY time, you could displease him, and die by poison dart.

I am well aware of the irony of how similar this can sound to most religions.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

fuzzycuzzy

Postby fuzzycuzzy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:45 am UTC

Aikanaro wrote:Spoilered for OT silliness
Spoiler:
fuzzycuzzy wrote:dude, I wish I believed in God... I have a feeling I'd make an excellent preacher

[cue British accent]

and on and on and on

May I suggest instead using "Ninja?" If I weren't Christian, I'd probably try and found a religion based on the idea that there is/are no God(s), just a ninja. One. The sun rises each day because he builds a new one in the east, and sets because at noon, he hits it with a poisoned dart, causing it to fall into the west to die. Then he runs really fast back to the east to make a new one (he's a ninja, he can do that.)

Thus, it's also important to behave, because the mighty ninja could be anywhere at any time, watching you (you can't see him of course, he's a ninja!). And at ANY time, you could displease him, and die by poison dart.

I am well aware of the irony of how similar this can sound to most religions.

so like your mom?
ZING!

ok, sorry, had to...
(and I'm very sorry if your mom is not in proper health or something)

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:30 pm UTC

I really want to see a 4 year old physics (or whatever subject you please) 'professor' giving an awesome and nonsensical lecture to a captivated class of college students.
-Adam

legopelle

Postby legopelle » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:45 pm UTC

Am I a too-late-to-save cynic for only thinking about how the parent's must've indoctrinated him?
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:35 pm UTC

Am I the only one who thinks that the "preaching" shown in the video really isn't anything approaching a sermon, and is mostly just empty words relying on religious fervor already present in the congregation?

I'm comparing this to actual sermons of the kind that you might expect from someone like Martin Luther King or even just normal public speaker, as opposed to a revival singer; the kind of sermons that have actual lessons and knowledge transmission involved.

(Granted, my mother is a minister and also a professor, so I may be a bit biased in what I've been exposed to.)
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:44 pm UTC

He's a four-year-old, nobody expects him to be able to formulate an actual sermon or even understand what he reads in the Bible. That said, we shouldn't then be saying he's preaching.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:00 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:He's a four-year-old, nobody expects him to be able to formulate an actual sermon or even understand what he reads in the Bible. That said, we shouldn't then be saying he's preaching.

That's ok, it's religion, so we aren't expecting the audience to be able to do those things either.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:18 am UTC

Aaeriele wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that the "preaching" shown in the video really isn't anything approaching a sermon, and is mostly just empty words relying on religious fervor already present in the congregation?

Which, I believe, describes a certain subset of existing preaching.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Return to “News & Articles”