Credible 9/11 anniversary terrorism threat

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Princess Marzipan

Re: Credible 9/11 anniversary terrorism threat

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:21 am UTC

The above is pretty correct.

It's awful that 3000 people died, but hey, anybody remember that earthquake in Hatia, or Hattland, or I dunno, all those other countries seem just the same to my self-important American brain. I think it's near Japan. </snark> That earthquake is estimated to have killed 46000 to 316000 people. At LEAST one, perhaps TWO orders of fucking magnitude more than were killed in the hijacking attacks.

I see so much emotional masturbation all over TV lately about what a great horrid tragedy we suffered, and barely a peep about the self-inflicted wounds that have cost us far more financially, culturally, globally, and in terms of human lives themselves.

What the hell, man.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:39 am UTC

In that same vein, it has long been my opinion that we as a nation need to move on. We have spent ten years feeling sorry for ourselves and vowing to "never forget". At some point it all starts to ring hollow, and my personal opinion is that we passed that point a very long time ago. What makes 9/11/2001 so goddamned special that it alone of the several terrorist attacks on America must be remembered and avenged? Yes, I know it was (to the best of y memory) the most costly, and the first time an attack had come from overseas (not counting pearl harbor). But we have more or less turned september 11th into a day of remembrance for this attack, and this attack alone, even though two previous attacks took place on the same day. I just don't understand.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:51 am UTC

kinigget wrote:and the first time an attack had come from overseas (not counting pearl harbor).

That wasn't even the first terrorist attack from overseas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_World ... er_bombing
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:59 am UTC

kinigget wrote:In that same vein, it has long been my opinion that we as a nation need to move on. We have spent ten years feeling sorry for ourselves and vowing to "never forget". At some point it all starts to ring hollow, and my personal opinion is that we passed that point a very long time ago. What makes 9/11/2001 so goddamned special that it alone of the several terrorist attacks on America must be remembered and avenged? Yes, I know it was (to the best of y memory) the most costly, and the first time an attack had come from overseas (not counting pearl harbor). But we have more or less turned september 11th into a day of remembrance for this attack, and this attack alone, even though two previous attacks took place on the same day. I just don't understand.

The important thing to remember here, is that victimization and self-pity feed the American and especially the conservative ego. A lot of us just love to feel besieged. Sympathy and fear come more easily to us than admiration and confidence.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:46 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:It's awful that 3000 people died, but hey, anybody remember that earthquake in Hatia, or Hattland, or I dunno, all those other countries seem just the same to my self-important American brain. I think it's near Japan. </snark> That earthquake is estimated to have killed 46000 to 316000 people. At LEAST one, perhaps TWO orders of fucking magnitude more than were killed in the hijacking attacks.

Whenever I see people making a huge deal of things like 9/11 and Pearl Harbor (which were barely even statistical blips in our national mortality rates), I can't help but compare it to what our old pal the Soviet Union went through. They were attacked by a foreign power, and 25 million people were killed. That's something you could develop a victimhood complex over.
Exit the vampires' castle.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:09 am UTC

Or 3000.

Twice.

Sixty years apart.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"

Velict

Postby Velict » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:04 am UTC

Dauric wrote:
Velict wrote: I'm also unconvinced that our military/CIA had the capability in 2001 that they have now - to remotely strike at terrorist cells with technology like drones.

It's not so much that CIA and the Military didn't have the capacity, the Predator Drone entered active service in 1995, but rather that their capacities were directed towards different (and arguably obsolete) threat models.

I was under the impression that armed drones weren't widely deployed until after 2001, but I could be mistaken. You're absolutely right on the logistics though; it's just as large an issue as technology. You don't build up counter-terrorism operations over night.

Zamfir wrote:
Velict wrote:"Acceptable number of innocent civilian deaths" is a rather loaded phrase.

I sure hope so. What is the acceptable number?

It's a dumb question to ask. Are you looking for some mathematical formula? An arbitrary number? An answer that leads to the conclusion of no military/counter-terrorism activity ever being justified? About the only thing a question like the one you're proposing is useful for is making vapid rhetorical points.

Princess Marzipan wrote:The above is pretty correct.

It's awful that 3000 people died, but hey, anybody remember that earthquake in Hatia, or Hattland, or I dunno, all those other countries seem just the same to my self-important American brain. I think it's near Japan. </snark> That earthquake is estimated to have killed 46000 to 316000 people. At LEAST one, perhaps TWO orders of fucking magnitude more than were killed in the hijacking attacks.

Is this an apples to apples comparison? I'm not sure that the psychological or political reaction to deaths from natural disasters are similar that to deaths from terrorism. You could make a normative argument about the political reaction, I guess. But sometimes strong political reaction to terrorism is justified even when the death count is relatively low; would you be willing to argue that Delhi should do nothing about the recent attack on the High Court, or that Pakistan should just gloss over the assassination of Salman Taseer?

I see so much emotional masturbation all over TV lately about what a great horrid tragedy we suffered, and barely a peep about the self-inflicted wounds that have cost us far more financially, culturally, globally, and in terms of human lives themselves.

What the hell, man.

The "emotional masturbation" on TV is actually a ratings drive by news networks. Kind of stupid, but that's how things are.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:08 am UTC

Lazar wrote:
Princess Marzipan wrote:It's awful that 3000 people died, but hey, anybody remember that earthquake in Hatia, or Hattland, or I dunno, all those other countries seem just the same to my self-important American brain. I think it's near Japan. </snark> That earthquake is estimated to have killed 46000 to 316000 people. At LEAST one, perhaps TWO orders of fucking magnitude more than were killed in the hijacking attacks.

Whenever I see people making a huge deal of things like 9/11 and Pearl Harbor (which were barely even statistical blips in our national mortality rates), I can't help but compare it to what our old pal the Soviet Union went through. They were attacked by a foreign power, and 25 million people were killed. That's something you could develop a victimhood complex over.

You know what's great about Russians and Ukrainians? Their parades commemorating WW2 are about a mindset of, "WE WADED TO BERLIN THROUGH A SEA OF OUR OWN DEAD, THERE IS NO END TO OUR DETERMINATION AND STRENGTH OF WILL." I think American passive-aggressiveness is a luxury most people in conflict really can't afford.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:19 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:Or 3000.

Twice.

Sixty years apart.

Just imagine if you were Chile and the foreign attack was funding an overthrow of your democratically elected government and installed an extremely oppressive dictator.

I consider it a testament to their greatness as a people that they didn't invade Canada in retribution.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:12 pm UTC

They probably knew they'd be put down and invaded even more if they revenge-invaded, which is probably why they didn't do it? Just a guess.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:41 pm UTC

podbaydoor wrote:They probably knew they'd be put down and invaded even more if they revenge-invaded, which is probably why they didn't do it? Just a guess.

Not like Chile is a global economic and military colossus or anything. I'm not really sure how facetious we're being about this.

Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby Iulus Cofield » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:08 am UTC

Looks like the news spoke too soon:

Followup: No signs of terrorists' entry in U.S.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:57 am UTC

Well, good thing the population has been primed to be fearful and worried at least.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:20 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:Well, good thing the population has been primed to be fearful and worried at least.

I can't think of a better way to observe 9/11 than to spend an evening trembling in the corner over some chatter that the government decided to leak as credible.

iChef

Postby iChef » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Remember the Maine! Down with Spain!!!Never Forget!!! It has only been 114 years since those dastardly Spaniards committed an act of terrorism that killed 272 Americans. Lately the CIA and FBI have received chatter that indicates the Spain may be launching an attack on America. It's all in Spanish so we don't know what the hell those messages actually say, but it's probably nefarious and probably directed at you and your family. Report any suspicious activity. We all know the Spanish are trying to end our way of life. Please be vigilant so we as Americans can stop these evil-doing Spaniards before they strike next.
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

addams

Postby addams » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:45 pm UTC

Diemo wrote:I am wondering if any of you guys have read this book?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Risk-Science-Po ... pd_sim_b_1

It is very interesting and talks about actual risks, and the way we perceive risks, and what the risks actually are. And on of the things that it talks about are terrorism, and the fact of the matter is that terrorism is actually a really low risk. I don't have the book in front of me or I would quote it, but as is I will paraphrase.

Basically, what he says in the book is that there is very little risk of terrorist attack, something that is clearly true. However, because fear sells, people have built up this risk, and because of the way that people think, people have a tendency to fear terrorism (he actually goes into why in quite a bit of detail, which I am leaving out here). But he points out that Al-qaida have not attacked anyone in years, and the reason for this is probably not because they have stopped hating the west, or even that the law enforcement agencies have stoped them, but is simply because they do not have the ability to attack us. So, Al-qaida is down and out.

Then again, if you were to go back to 1995 and showed the people of Al Qaeda the future. Would they have chosen a very different path towards their goals? Or would they be amazed that they were going to be this succesful, and continue with double enthusiasm?

Another thing he talks about is terrorist goals. And one of them is to promote the very culture of fear that seems to be prevalent in America. Seems to because I have never been there and am simply going on the basis of what the news tells me (which is terribly biased). But Al-qaida succeeded in their goal of publicity. According to Dan Gardner the best way to deal with terrorists is to ignore them (which is what happened in London when there were the subway bombings, Tony Blair got on a subway the next day to show the terrorists that they have failed, and the bombings are now never even mentioned). After 9/11, Bush declared war on Al-qaida. He changed them from a nutty group who hung out in a desert to a serious opponent of the most powerful nation of the world. Al-qaida won there. So I would say they would continue with double enthusiasm.

Now let the hate mail commence.

Nice book. Well; Not nice. But, a good read.
Human psychology. We are so human. What we tell ourselves and each other we make real. It is true. We can not change the wt. of the air around us. But; We can and we do create the fear or the easing of the fear that we live with. We can and we do allow for one person to live in luxury and splendor on one side of a wall while others suffer neglect and die of exposure on the other side of the same wall. We could be smart not selfish.
It is human psychology and it is morality. The book was a good read. Like all good papers, it is a place to begin a reasonable conversation.
Oh! Oh! After, the buildings came down in New York I looked at some numbers, too.
The number of deaths from car accidents each month are nearly the same as the number of deaths at the buildings on that one day. That is pretty much every month. Cars are bad! I love cars. Human psychology. I am torn. I love cars. Cars are dangerous.
We must do what we can for one another. Humans suck. See?
The ones that are trembling in the corners need help. They will attack anyone that attempts to pull them out of the corner. Be careful out there everyone! There are people out there.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:46 am UTC

IcedT wrote:
podbaydoor wrote:They probably knew they'd be put down and invaded even more if they revenge-invaded, which is probably why they didn't do it? Just a guess.

Not like Chile is a global economic and military colossus or anything. I'm not really sure how facetious we're being about this.

It's also not like that was the point of the comment either.

big boss

Postby big boss » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:14 am UTC

Lazar wrote:

Pearl Harbor and 9/11 are not just commemorated for the deaths that occurred on those days day, there is the bigger picture. Both events drove the course of history in their times, whereas natural disasters just cause damage and pass. Both of these events have had huge impacts on history.

And people only care about things that effect them. 9/11 effected Americans. The Japan tsunamis (unless you had family or friends in Japan) didn't effect most Americans in any way they could notice (yes there are economic effects, but the average person won't notice that). Not saying this is a good mentality to have, but its difficult to have sympathy for people who are so far away and different from yourself.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:56 pm UTC

In related news...

No Charges Against 3 Detained At Detroit Airport After 'Suspicious Activity' In Plane Bathroom On Sept. 11 Anniversary

Spoiler:
ROMULUS, Mich. -- Police temporarily detained and questioned three passengers at Detroit's Metropolitan Airport on Sunday after the crew of the Frontier Airlines flight from Denver reported suspicious activity on board, and NORAD sent two F-16 jets to shadow the flight until it landed safely, airline and federal officials said.

7News reports that the two people in the bathroom were simply "making out" mid-flight.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:07 pm UTC

But sir, I was merely searching their mouth for the taste of explosives. Also, attempting to feel around their body for weapons...

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:25 pm UTC

Two people making out in the bathroom -> the police detained and questioned three people?

Whatever, it's completely bonkers even if they had only detained the snoggers. A man and a woman (I'm guessing) go into the toilet together, I wonder what they could be doing in there? OH THEY MUST BE MAKING A BABY BOMB! EVERYBODY PANIC! Seriously, a discreet tap on the door and a "are you okay in there?" would have solved the issue with far less kerfuffle.

"Due to the anniversary of Sept. 11, all precautions were taken, and any slight inconsistency was taken seriously," Berchtold said. "The public would rather us err on the side of caution than not."

No, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't actually. Despite popular opinion, most people are not easily panicked imbeciles.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:42 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
IcedT wrote:

It's also not like that was the point of the comment either.

I really hate to play the Devil's Advocate here, but since no one else will, Chile stole nationalized the American-owned copper mines. Part of the big fear of Communism was because as countries went communist, everything was stolen nationalized by the governments.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:48 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I really hate to play the Devil's Advocate here, but since no one else will, Chile stole nationalized the American-owned copper mines. Part of the big fear of Communism was because as countries went communist, everything was stolen nationalized by the governments.

I'm not sure supporting a coup against a sovereign nation and installing a brutal dictator in the place of a democratically elected government is necessarily an appropriate solution to the country pissing off some American corporations. There are diplomatic ways of dealing with such disputes.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:27 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:I really hate to play the Devil's Advocate here, but since no one else will, Chile stole nationalized the American-owned copper mines. Part of the big fear of Communism was because as countries went communist, everything was stolen nationalized by the governments.

I'm not sure supporting a coup against a sovereign nation and installing a brutal dictator in the place of a democratically elected government is necessarily an appropriate solution to the country pissing off some American corporations. There are diplomatic ways of dealing with such disputes.

Yes, Pinochet was a brutal dictator, but he happened to be surprisingly good for Chile. Especially considering that the pseudo-communist policies of Allende were bringing the country to ruin. Forced collectivization of farmland? Yeah, that couldn't possibly go horribly wrong.

It's a question of ends justifying means thing, moral calculus, gray and gray morality, and other things people don't like to talk about. We like to think of there being good and evil in the world, when it's just people and more people. No universally accepted objective metric exists for determining what a person is 'worth', even as we try to figure one out.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:51 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Yes, Pinochet was a brutal dictator, but he happened to be surprisingly good for Chile. Especially considering that the pseudo-communist policies of Allende were bringing the country to ruin. Forced collectivization of farmland? Yeah, that couldn't possibly be a bad thing.

It's a question of ends justifying means thing, moral calculus, gray and gray morality, and other things people don't like to talk about.

Regardless, those are decisions that the people of Chile should be making. If they want to mess up their economy, that is their business. I'm sure the United States wouldn't be all that happy if China started dictating American domestic policies or rigging American elections to make sure that the country doesn't fall into financial ruin, for example.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:58 pm UTC

I will grant you that freedom and self determination are (theoretically) more important than economic wellbeing, except that you could then argue* that Allende was violating many individual's rights to freedom and self determination with his economic reforms, as well as economic wellbeing (price controls far from equilibrium tend to end in disaster).

Very little in life is ever black and white...

*Albeit not as strongly

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:15 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I will grant you that freedom and self determination are (theoretically) more important than economic wellbeing, except that you could then argue* that Allende was violating many individual's rights to freedom and self determination with his economic reforms, as well as economic wellbeing (price controls far from equilibrium tend to end in disaster).

*Albeit not as strongly

So just to be clear, you would be perfectly fine with China organizing a military coup that overthrew the elected government of the United States and installed one that was favourable to Chinese corporate interests and would ensure that they continued to pay their debts to the Chinese government, even if it meant thousands of Americans being murdered and tortured and a loss of American democracy as we know it, so long as it improved the American economy?

buddy431

Postby buddy431 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:49 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Two people making out in the bathroom -> the police detained and questioned three people?

Whatever, it's completely bonkers even if they had only detained the snoggers. A man and a woman (I'm guessing) go into the toilet together, I wonder what they could be doing in there? OH THEY MUST BE MAKING A BABY BOMB! EVERYBODY PANIC! Seriously, a discreet tap on the door and a "are you okay in there?" would have solved the issue with far less kerfuffle.

"Due to the anniversary of Sept. 11, all precautions were taken, and any slight inconsistency was taken seriously," Berchtold said. "The public would rather us err on the side of caution than not."

No, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't actually. Despite popular opinion, most people are not easily panicked imbeciles.

It turns out that it wasn't even two people. It was one guy, who was feeling ill, who was making frequent trips to the toilet.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/0912/Terrorist-plot-Mile-high-romance-FBI-cracks-airline-security-mystery

The three people detained were the people in the row he was in, whose suspicious behavior was getting up frequently to let him go to the bathroom.

Remember children, this extreme paranoia is for your safety.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:55 pm UTC

buddy431 wrote:It turns out that it wasn't even two people. It was one guy, who was feeling ill, who was making frequent trips to the toilet.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/0912/Terrorist-plot-Mile-high-romance-FBI-cracks-airline-security-mystery

The three people detained were the people in the row he was in, whose suspicious behavior was getting up frequently to let him go to the bathroom.

Remember children, this extreme paranoia is for your safety.

Stay Back! He's carrying Weaponized Flying Pig Flu!
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:02 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:I will grant you that freedom and self determination are (theoretically) more important than economic wellbeing, except that you could then argue* that Allende was violating many individual's rights to freedom and self determination with his economic reforms, as well as economic wellbeing (price controls far from equilibrium tend to end in disaster).

*Albeit not as strongly

So just to be clear, you would be perfectly fine with China organizing a military coup that overthrew the elected government of the United States and installed one that was favourable to Chinese corporate interests and would ensure that they continued to pay their debts to the Chinese government, even if it meant thousands of Americans being murdered and tortured and a loss of American democracy as we know it, so long as it improved the American economy?

It'd be more like, the US renegs on all debts and nationalizes all major industries, including a huge one owned by China, begins collectivization (not sure if forced labor included), starts swearing loyalty to Japan (or whoever China's sworn enemy is), the economy crumbles (and if left unchecked will end in disaster), so China backs General Wesley Clark in his bid to overthrow Obama, Obama commits suicide, Clark becomes a dictator and starts rounding up paramilitaries and Republicans, and the economy grows stronger than ever.

Morals are a very iffy thing in real life.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:05 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:

Yes, Pinochet was a brutal dictator, but he happened to be surprisingly good for Chile. Especially considering that the pseudo-communist policies of Allende were bringing the country to ruin. Forced collectivization of farmland? Yeah, that couldn't possibly go horribly wrong.

It's a question of ends justifying means thing, moral calculus, gray and gray morality, and other things people don't like to talk about. We like to think of there being good and evil in the world, when it's just people and more people. No universally accepted objective metric exists for determining what a person is 'worth', even as we try to figure one out.

Gee, it's interesting how when the U.S. basically blackballs your country economically to cause strife because you elected a government they didn't like and then suddenly becomes your friend again after they help overthrow your government to one of their choosing it's suddenly seen as an economic miracle. There's a bigger picture that went on with Chile, you might want to take a look at it. He was not surprisingly good as you would say, but rather willing to play ball with America.

But, judging by your comments, you have a very horrible understanding of what happened in Chile. Allende killing himself, which is a contended issue in and of itself, while the palace is being bombed is more like Obama offing himself in order to avoid capture while the White House is being blown up.

Velict

Postby Velict » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:11 am UTC

Tirian wrote:
Princess Marzipan wrote:Well, good thing the population has been primed to be fearful and worried at least.

I can't think of a better way to observe 9/11 than to spend an evening trembling in the corner over some chatter that the government decided to leak as credible.

You're right, this is all part of some government plot to keep us in fear and deprive our civil liberties. Come to think of, I bet 9/11 was a government plot in the first place.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:16 am UTC

Velict wrote:
Tirian wrote:

You're right, this is all part of some government plot to keep us in fear and deprive our civil liberties. Come to think of, I bet 9/11 was a government plot in the first place.

I'm perfectly capable of putting my own words in my mouth, thank you.

But if you're giving three cookies to the government for informing you about an imminent plot, reducing your civil liberties, and then taking credit for preventing it, then I've got some tiger repellent I'd like to sell you.

Velict

Postby Velict » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:29 am UTC

Tirian wrote:
Velict wrote:
Tirian wrote:

I'm perfectly capable of putting my own words in my mouth, thank you.

But if you're giving three cookies to the government for informing you about an imminent plot, reducing your civil liberties, and then taking credit for preventing it, then I've got some tiger repellent I'd like to sell you.

Describe, in detail, exactly what happened to my civil liberties over this past weekend. Also, provide explicit evidence of a government official involved in counter-terrorism declaring that an attack was prevented in the United States this past weekend.

I won't be waiting.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:12 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:In related news...

No Charges Against 3 Detained At Detroit Airport After 'Suspicious Activity' In Plane Bathroom On Sept. 11 Anniversary

Spoiler:
ROMULUS, Mich. -- Police temporarily detained and questioned three passengers at Detroit's Metropolitan Airport on Sunday after the crew of the Frontier Airlines flight from Denver reported suspicious activity on board, and NORAD sent two F-16 jets to shadow the flight until it landed safely, airline and federal officials said.

7News reports that the two people in the bathroom were simply "making out" mid-flight.

Let's expand upon that, because the news coverage paints a shockingly cavalier picture of it:

http://shebshi.wordpress.com/2011/09/12 ... n-detroit/

A first-hand account from the woman who was one of the three detained individuals.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

addams

Postby addams » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:15 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:

Spoiler:

Let's expand upon that, because the news coverage paints a shockingly cavalier picture of it:

A first-hand account from the woman who was one of the three detained individuals.

She is fortunate to have so many good friends and such strong support. Not all of us are so fortunate.

We all have our stories. I left the US. I have no family or friends to turn to. But; I got out. It was tricky for me to get out. Believe it or not.

I have no idea what I will do or where I will go. If, anyone knows of support for persons that have been displaced by the policies that are in place in the US, then, I am more than interested.

Yes. I am frightened to put such a thing onto the internet.
Yet; If, I do not ask, then, I will not receive an answer.

Like the author of the post above, I was so surprised that this could happen to me. I was more surprised than she was. She knew that she had an ethnic identity that set her apart. I did not know that I was different. I am not. Well; We are all a little different from one another. I was so surprised that this could happen in the US. We were the people of Freedom and Peace. Peace. I spoke out in favor of Peace.

We all have our stories. I had property. I had a small business. I had a life that I loved. I know that it is worse for others. Peg Morton, a 75 year old Quaker woman that was my friend, was put into jail for three months. She was a broken woman when I last saw her. With the love of her many friends, she will heal.

My story is personal and it is sad. There are many like me. Some have it worse. I know this to be true. I don't know anyone that has it worse. Isolation is a powerful tool. I don't know anyone. Not people that have it better. Not people that have it worse. Isolation is a powerful tool.

So, that explains why I post into your little forum. My small business was shut down. The government sued me. Then some men came to my house and told me that, "If, you open again on Monday, you will be in court on Friday." So, I have time on my hands. I discovered the internet in 2009 or so. So, I found my way into your little forum.

I knew there was an internet before 2009. It was not something that I did. I was busy. I have not been very busy, lately.

So; is there a place in the world that needs one more person?
I could be useful. Maybe.

All I have left is my education, my imagination, my body, a few changes of clothes and my little computer. That is it.

I had it all. I lost it all. It was not, just, a series of poor choices on my part. I thought that is was, when, this began.

I thought, "Some things don't work out." (Shrug.)
I thought, "Everyone has difficulties." (Shrug.)
I thought, "There are always going to be some people that, just, don't like me." (Shrug.)
I thought, "The Police pull everyone over, sometimes."
I thought, "We hear about houses being broken into on the TV. It is the one of the prices we pay for living inside a densely populated area."
I thought, "Everyone has the windows of their cars broken, sometimes."
Rewriting a paper was a pain in the ass. And; Some of my books were expensive!

I thought, "Everyone is running the risk of having their laptop stolen."

I was speaking out against the War. So, having the windows of my business and house broken could have been done by simple citizens that disagreed with me.

I thought, O.K. The Police inside my house without an invitation? This is getting weird.

It, just, kept getting weirder. And; Weirder. And; Weirder.

I left. I don't ever want to go back there! Not ever!

I Loved my country. I owed my country. That is why I had to speak out. I had a debt to my country. My country gave me my education. I was grateful for my education. My country educated people like me, so that, we would be able to help in times like these. My education is the only thing that I still have.

I failed my nation. I am so sorry. I failed. The men and women that educated me. I failed them. I am so sorry.

Is there some other nation that wants an educated maid? I like maid work. That is what I did in my small business. I had a guest house. I like to have things clean and tidy. I learned some of it at University.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

Wait, Addams is international vagrant? Well his coolness factor just went up.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:21 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Wait, Addams is international vagrant? Well his coolness factor just went up.

Really? O.K. Cool and educated. Anyone need one of those?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:44 pm UTC

Velict wrote:Describe, in detail, exactly what happened to my civil liberties over this past weekend.

Your right to piss on an airplane was suspended, apparently.
iChef wrote:Remember the Maine! Down with Spain!!!

The Maine was an inside job.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:27 am UTC

Aaeriele wrote:

Spoiler:

As a person who flies relatively often, this terrifies me. I don't think I'll be coming back to the US any time soon. =/
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Return to “News & Articles”