Whitehouse opens petition site

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

The Reaper

Whitehouse opens petition site

Postby The Reaper » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:32 pm UTC

Some of you may have already heard of the initiative the whitehouse has taken in hosting petitions for people to sign. The idea is get 5k sigs in 30 days, and you get yourself a response.

Whelp, the internet has responded, to a minute degree.

http://gawker.com/5843507/white-house-s ... mands-weed

The biggest note is that Legalize and Regulate Marijuana in a Manner Similar to Alcohol, at the time of my writing this, has 32k+ votes currently, and its only been up like 2-3 days.

One wonders if they'll actually do something about the situation, or just grandstand for the status quo?

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: Whitehouse opens petition site

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

We had a similar thing in the UK a few months ago. One of the most popular petitions was to bring back the death penalty.

I despair of my fellow humans sometimes.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:48 pm UTC

Hooray for slacktivism. 5000 people just have to push a button and government will change to suit them!

gametaku

Postby gametaku » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:55 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:Some of you may have already heard of the initiative the whitehouse has taken in hosting petitions for people to sign. The idea is get 5k sigs in 30 days, and you get yourself a response.

Whelp, the internet has responded, to a minute degree.

http://gawker.com/5843507/white-house-s ... mands-weed

The biggest note is that Legalize and Regulate Marijuana in a Manner Similar to Alcohol, at the time of my writing this, has 32k+ votes currently, and its only been up like 2-3 days.

One wonders if they'll actually do something about the situation, or just grandstand for the status quo?

Magic 8 ball will this administration even think about legalizing pot:
Response: LOL

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:12 pm UTC

The only question was whether the site would have had to confront pot legalization or Colbert first.

Seriously, what did they call this when they did it at the beginning of Obama's administration and what ever became of it?

ojno

Postby ojno » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:22 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:We had a similar thing in the UK a few months ago. One of the most popular petitions was to bring back the death penalty.

I despair of my fellow humans sometimes.

I regained some of my faith in humanity when the counter-petition to keep it abolished overtook the one to reintroduce it, then lost a little more when that one was in turn overtaken by... just random bad ideas. Remove benefits from the rioters! Reduce taxes on fuel! Leave the EU!

We had one in the UK for ages, the 'new' one was just kind of a relaunch. The old one was equally inane, and a complete joke because even the sensible ideas were never even considered. The new one will most likely be the same, and be wiped clean again in a few years.

If you really want to petition the government on an issue which concerns a sufficient number of people, at least in the UK, you get the signatures on paper, deliver them to an MP in person, and it then at least gets entered into the official record.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:45 pm UTC

ojno wrote:Reduce taxes on fuel!

Hey, what's wrong with that one? Fuel is ridiculously overtaxed.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:28 pm UTC

All of the serious problems in the country and one of the most popular petitions is to legalize a luxury item?

Seriously?
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:32 pm UTC

MikeBabaguh wrote:All of the serious problems in the country and one of the most popular petitions is to legalize a luxury item?

Seriously?

Luxury item for you, maybe. Industrial strength illicit narcotic with no medical benefits whatsoever for the rest of us.

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Postby scarecrovv » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:33 pm UTC

Interesting idea. I signed some of the petitions. I was amused by others. Particularly this one.

Though I'd be really surprised if anything more than lip service were paid to any of this.

Save Point

Postby Save Point » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:36 pm UTC

I am really loving the ones about disclosing information regarding extraterrestrials.

buddy431

Postby buddy431 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:51 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote:
MikeBabaguh wrote:All of the serious problems in the country and one of the most popular petitions is to legalize a luxury item?

Seriously?

Luxury item for you, maybe. Industrial strength illicit narcotic with no medical benefits whatsoever for the rest of us.

Isn't the point of the petition to make it not illicit?

Narcotic is sort of a loose term, and while some people classify marijuana as a narcotic, I think that the term is more properly reserved for opiates. [/pedant]
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:54 pm UTC

Seriously?

The point of legalizing marijuana isn't just so that people have access to marijuana. It's so that people aren't arrested for victimless crimes, so that we can raise revenue from taxing it, and so that we aren't spending money trying to ban a harmless thing. It's less about legalizing it and more about not banning it.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:21 am UTC

buddy431 wrote:
The Reaper wrote:Luxury item for you, maybe. Industrial strength illicit narcotic with no medical benefits whatsoever for the rest of us.
Isn't the point of the petition to make it not illicit?
<sound>Woosh!</sound>

Yes. Yes, that is indeed the point. Currently it is illegal. We would like to make it not illegal. California has some form of legality, and thus weed could be seen as a luxury item there, rather than a completely illegal substance. Texas isn't in that boat yet, for some strange reason, even though we have PLENTY of area to make a great weed farm state, thus increasing state revenue, and we all know how much Texas loves to love money. -sigh- The way it's illegal here is silly as well. Gotta have weed to get a stamp, gotta have a stamp to legally have weed. That and that whole "federal mandate" thing.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:23 am UTC

To say nothing about depriving organized criminals of a huge income stream. Which means less organized crime, which means less 'support' for criminals, which means the other criminals are easier to catch...

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:25 am UTC

Tirian wrote:Hooray for slacktivism. 5000 people just have to push a button and government will change to suit them!

Well, 5,000 people just have to push a button so the government can ignore them more effectively.

Also, I do believe Equestria needs a ponyteriat revolution.

farnsworth

Postby farnsworth » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:33 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:The point of legalizing marijuana isn't just so that people have access to marijuana. It's so that people aren't arrested for victimless crimes, so that we can raise revenue from taxing it, and so that we aren't spending money trying to ban a harmless thing. It's less about legalizing it and more about not banning it.

Harmless? How does it affect driving? (I imagine DUI laws would cover this; in which case, it's the same situation as alcohol.)
Last edited by farnsworth on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:34 am UTC

farnsworth wrote:Harmless? Does it affect driving? (I imagine DUI laws would cover this; in which case, it's the same situation as alcohol.)

It affects driving a little. But as far as actual damage to a person caused by the drug itself, and as far as crime rates related to marijuana go, it's harmless.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:39 am UTC

I would like this better if it were an upvote/downvote system... You can get any 5000 idiots (overstatement, but still) to sign something, but it would be more honest to hear negative opinions too.
sourmìlk wrote:
farnsworth wrote:Harmless? Does it affect driving? (I imagine DUI laws would cover this; in which case, it's the same situation as alcohol.)

It affects driving a little. But as far as actual damage to a person caused by the drug itself, and as far as crime rates related to marijuana go, it's harmless.

It affects reaction times, which could be a big deal... But then again so does sleep deprivation, and that's not illegal.

elasto

Postby elasto » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:29 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:It affects reaction times, which could be a big deal... But then again so does sleep deprivation, and that's not illegal.

Yeah. Societies should, as much as possible, not ban things simply because they might be used irresponsibly. You should instead punish for irresponsible use.

Stuff like alcohol, nicotine, cannabis, refined sugar, transfats, recreation sex etc. - all serve little purpose other than enjoyment, so long as they are used sparingly and/or responsibly - and none should be banned simply because some people use them irresponsibly or with such frequency that their long-term health suffers as a consequence.

And, honestly, cannabis is one of the least addictive on that list - both psychologically and physically.

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:14 am UTC

RE: several people.

I wouldn't call it a narcotic. And I recognize the health benefits and the potential to turn it into really great cloth.

But I'm not hearing the arguments for legalization including the non-stoner benefits. As near as I can tell, every one wants to get high legally, and that's not a good enough reason to legalize what is essentially only a luxury item. And if you're worried about the ridiculous home raids to catch people on possession (which I agree is ridiculous), all the government has to do is tell the police and FBI not to enforce it. That part is a simple fix.

Fix the important things first. It's only during times of prosperity we get to worry about the little things.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:19 am UTC

MikeBabaguh wrote:But I'm not hearing the arguments for legalization including the non-stoner benefits. As near as I can tell, every one wants to get high legally, and that's not a good enough reason to legalize what is essentially only a luxury item.

Sure it is. Who is the government to tell me what I can and can't do to my body, assuming that there isn't a direct causal connection between that and hurting others?

And if you're worried about the ridiculous home raids to catch people on possession (which I agree is ridiculous), all the government has to do is tell the police and FBI not to enforce it. That part is a simple fix.

Fix the important things first. It's only during times of prosperity we get to worry about the little things.

The billions of dollars in revenue that could be gained from legal marijuana are important. The thousands of people jailed for victimless crimes are important. The money we waste enforcing these laws is important.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:24 am UTC

MikeBabaguh wrote:RE: several people.

I wouldn't call it a narcotic. And I recognize the health benefits and the potential to turn it into really great cloth.

But I'm not hearing the arguments for legalization including the non-stoner benefits. As near as I can tell, every one wants to get high legally, and that's not a good enough reason to legalize what is essentially only a luxury item. And if you're worried about the ridiculous home raids to catch people on possession (which I agree is ridiculous), all the government has to do is tell the police and FBI not to enforce it. That part is a simple fix.

Marijuana isn't just for stoners, sir. Some actually use it to keep things in check, such as certain variants of ADHD, glaucoma, pains, eating disorders, etc.

There's quite a few benefits that aren't stoner related. Just because you're not the subject of them, doesn't mean we should ignore the issue.

If its so easy and such a little thing to fix, why not just fix it and move on to the next thing?

note: sometimes I feel as though my arguments can sometimes be taken in parallel, rather than sequentially as they're written. Hmm.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:43 am UTC

I'm kind of hoping we can avoid a marijuana debate here. =/

For those who signed, how do they confirm your email address? I can only see crazy stuff working out at this rate. I'm actually astonished 4chan hasn't started pushing "make cats the national mammal" and "switch 'in god we trust' with 'lolz'" and stuff like that.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:57 am UTC

Steax wrote:I'm kind of hoping we can avoid a marijuana debate here. =/

For those who signed, how do they confirm your email address? I can only see crazy stuff working out at this rate. I'm actually astonished 4chan hasn't started pushing "make cats the national mammal" and "switch 'in god we trust' with 'lolz'" and stuff like that.

They send you an email for verification. You click a link, it verifies, and then you still have to change your password, because it doesn't automatically offer to do so.
The lost password thing doesn't reset your password automatically, but rather gives you a link to go change it.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:19 am UTC

Thanks for the link, I hope this initiative serves to at least bring certain topics into the national discourse, and perhaps even make progress on some fronts.

In any case, I started 3 petitions. New petitions do not show up on the listings page nor the search results until they have 150 signatures, so here are the direct links to my petitions:

Approval voting
Government transparency
Voting rights
wee free kings

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:35 am UTC

Qaanol wrote:New petitions do not show up on the listings page nor the search results until they have 150 signatures,

Wait, how does that make any sense? How are 150 people supposed to find it if it's not on the search pages? :?
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:36 am UTC

Cathy wrote:
Qaanol wrote:New petitions do not show up on the listings page nor the search results until they have 150 signatures,

Wait, how does that make any sense? How are 150 people supposed to find it if it's not on the search pages? :?

Everyone knows only popular people have good ideas.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:03 am UTC

I just made two more petitions, which some of you might be interested in:
Renewable energy
Smoking ban

Cathy wrote:

Indeed you have a good point. Even if they don’t put new petitions on the main listings page until they reach a threshold, all petitions ought to be found by searches. In fact, one search criterion ought to be "minimum number of signatures" so users can set their own thresholds. Why don’t you start a petition requesting they change that policy?
wee free kings

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:34 am UTC

I guess that's just an anti-spam reason or something. It would be better if 150 votes automatically passes it through the spam filter, or they could wait until a staff member manually approves of it.

But... well it's the government we're talking about here.

big boss

Postby big boss » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:24 am UTC

How long until Colbert starts a petition for something and it becomes the most popular one...
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

elasto

Postby elasto » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:39 am UTC

Qaanol wrote:I just made two more petitions, which some of you might be interested in:
Renewable energy

Signed it even though I'm not a US citizen.

Interesting implications for your democracy, that!

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:30 am UTC

elasto wrote:
Qaanol wrote:I just made two more petitions, which some of you might be interested in:
Renewable energy

Signed it even though I'm not a US citizen.

Interesting implications for your democracy, that!

Cue theories that petitions against the TSA, Patriot Act and wars are actually perpetrated by trrrrrrrrrists, in 3... 2...

They have breached our national internets!

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:18 pm UTC

Tirian wrote:Hooray for slacktivism. 5000 people just have to push a button and government will change to suit them!

Isn't that the theory behind, like...voting?
MikeBabaguh wrote:As near as I can tell, every one wants to get high legally, and that's not a good enough reason to legalize what is essentially only a luxury item.

Are you saying that all luxury items should be illegal unless someone can make a really compelling argument for legalizing them?

Because it really sounds like that's what you're saying.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:46 pm UTC

Seriously?

Or to stop cruel politically motivate imprisonments for harmless behaviour. Whichever you like.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:03 pm UTC

Yeah, as it turns out, prison overcrowding is an issue. As is the joblessness and crime created by slapping criminal records on people doing something harmless.

It is...not a minor thing.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:44 pm UTC

MikeBabaguh wrote:As near as I can tell, every one wants to get lollipops legally, and that's not a good enough reason to legalize what is essentially only a luxury item.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:57 pm UTC

I don't like the idea of making it so that all adults can vote. My uncle has down's syndrome: should he be allowed to vote?

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:01 pm UTC

You're an autistic dick, should you be allowed to vote?
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

Kulantan wrote:You're an autistic dick, should you be allowed to vote?

Are you seriously comparing high-functioning autism to down's syndrome?

Return to “News & Articles”