RIP Steve Jobs

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Hawknc, Zamfir, Prelates, Moderators General

RIP Steve Jobs

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:53 pm UTC

http://www.npr.org/2011/10/05/123826622 ... dies-at-56

Spoiler:
Steve Jobs — the man who brought us the iPhone, the iPod and the iMac — has died. The co-founder of Apple was 56 years old. Jobs had been battling a rare form of pancreatic cancer for years.

"It boggles the mind to think of all the things that Steve Jobs did," says Silicon Valley venture capitalist Roger McNamee, who worked with Jobs.

McNamee says that in addition to introducing us to desktop publishing and computer animated movies, Jobs should be credited with creating the first commercially successful computer.

"Any one of those would have qualified him as one of the great executives in American history," McNamee says, "the sum of which put him in a place where no one else has ever been before. To me he is of his era what Thomas Edison was to the beginning of the 20th century."

Jobs was just 21 when he co-founded Apple Computer in his garage in Cupertino, Calif., in 1976. The following year, when Jobs and his partner, Steve Wozniak, released the compact Apple II, most computers were big enough to fill a university basement or came from do-it-yourself kits for hobbyists with soldering irons.

With sound and cutting-edge color graphics, Apple II was the first blockbuster desktop computer. Users could hook it up to their TV sets to play games, and its spreadsheet program made it popular with small businesses.

"It made Apple the biggest computer manufacturer in the nascent computer industry," says Leander Kahney, author of Inside Steve's Brain.

But in 1981, Apple got its first taste of serious competition, when IBM released its own personal computer. IBM had the advantage of a well-known, trusted name, and Jobs — a California boy — loathed the kind of conformist East Coast culture it represented.

So he countered with the Macintosh, the first computer to feature a mouse, pull-down menus and icons — thus eliminating the command-line interface.

"Jobs' idea was that we'll make it easy enough that anybody can do it ... a grandmother, a kid, people who don't have any experience," Kahney says. The Mac was an example of the kind of product that would come to define Jobs' entire career: easy-to-use computers.

That's the message Jobs sent to millions when he released the Mac in 1984. In an ad that aired once during the Super Bowl, a woman dressed in brightly colored shorts runs into a room of gray-looking people and throws a sledgehammer at a screen where Big Brother — read IBM — is talking. The minute-long reference to George Orwell's 1984 became one of the most famous television commercials of all time.

It also illustrated Jobs' belief that computers were tools to unleash human creativity. In an interview for the 1996 PBS documentary Triumph of the Nerds, Jobs said, "Part of what made the Macintosh great was that the people working on it were musicians and poets and artists and zoologists and historians who also happened to be the best computer scientists in the world."

In many ways Jobs was the poet of the computer world. He'd gone to India and become a Buddhist. He took LSD and believed it had opened his mind to new ways of thinking.

But Jobs' iconoclastic ideals did not always make him easy to work with.

"He was just a terrible manager and a terrible executive," says Trip Hawkins, the marketing director of Apple until 1982. "At that point in time I never really thought that he could be a CEO."

Jobs was eventually fired in a 1985 boardroom coup led by John Sculley — the man Jobs himself had hired to be CEO of Apple. But Jobs was driven to make computers vehicles for creativity, and after he left Apple, he purchased a little-known division of Lucas film and renamed it Pixar.

In 1995, Pixar released the first animated feature to be done entirely on computers. That film, Toy Story, was a huge success, and Pixar followed it with other big hits including Monsters, Inc., The Incredibles and Finding Nemo.

But Apple didn't exactly thrive in the years after Jobs' departure. With less than 5 percent of the computer market in its possession and analysts predicting the company's demise, the board invited Jobs to come back and run his old business.

In 1998, as interim CEO of Apple, Jobs introduced the iMac and once again helped remake the computer industry. According to venture capitalist McNamee, the iMac was the first computer made to harness the creative potential of the Internet.

"The iMac reflected the transition of consumers from passive consumption of content to active creation of entertainment," McNamee says. "People could write their own blogs, make their own digital photographs and make their own movies. Apple made all the tools to make that easy and they did at a time when Microsoft just wasn't paying attention."

Three years after the iMac, Jobs announced Apple's expansion into the music industry with a breakthrough MP3 player — the iPod.

"This is not a speculative market," he said as he introduced the iPod in 2001. "It's a part of everyone's life. It's a very large target market all around the world."

The iPod was a classic Jobs product — easy to use and nice to look at. Apple sold tens of millions of iPods, and the iTunes store became the No. 1 music retailer.

Six years later, Apple released the iPhone — a device whose elegance and user friendliness blew other phone/music players out of the water.

In 2010, Apple created yet another groundbreaking device with the introduction of the iPad. With its color touch-screen, the tablet gave users the ability to surf the Web, send e-mail, watch videos and read e-books.

Book publishers weren't the only ones to embrace the new tablet. A host of magazines, newspapers and broadcast news organizations, including The New Yorker, The Wall Street Journal and NPR, created iPad-specific apps that helped showcase stories — and images — in a tabloid-style layout.

And in January 2011, Apple reached a milestone by surpassing 10 billion downloads from its App Store — a sign of just how popular the company's devices have become with consumers.

"Simplifying complexity is not simple," says Susan Rockrise, a creative director who worked with Jobs. "It is the greatest, greatest gift to have someone who has Steve's capabilities as an editor and a product designer edit the crap away so that you can focus on what you want to do."

Rockrise believes Jobs touched pretty much anyone who has ever clicked a mouse, sent a photo over the Internet, published a book from a home computer or enjoyed portable music or a computer-animated movie.

She says they all have Jobs to thank for making it happen.

Never bought an Apple Product, but I can't deny that Steve Jobs has been a very influential figure in modern history. Rest in peace.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.
KnightExemplar

Re: RIP Steve Jobs

Postby Wodashin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:55 pm UTC

I went through speech last year doing one of his speeches. Made it to state. Learned a lot about him. It's really sad to see him go like this. Dying "Before his time" definitely applies here.
Wodashin

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:58 pm UTC

All I can think of is how their tribute picture looks like they were preparing for this and how it coincides too perfectly with a not-so-booming new iPhone..

...I'm trying to be respectful. This is how my mind wanders.
Djehutynakht

Postby Velict » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:00 am UTC

Sad news. Jobs was one of those one-in-a-billion figures.
Velict

Postby DreadArchon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:16 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:All I can think of is how their tribute picture looks like they were preparing for this and how it coincides too perfectly with a not-so-booming new iPhone...

Freaking Buddhists, always thinking outside of the traditional bounds of human mortality. Do not trust them! :x
DreadArchon

Postby Qaanol » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:18 am UTC

The man had vision.

Djehutynakht wrote:All I can think of is how their tribute picture looks like they were preparing for this and how it coincides too perfectly with a not-so-booming new iPhone..

They were definitely preparing ahead of time. Moreover, major news outlets already have had obituaries prepared for him for many years, with blanks for the time and cause of death, that got periodically updated as he did more things.

The timing relative to the iPhone 4S was entirely coincidental. The timing relative to Tim Cook becoming CEO is less coincidental. Steve stepped down when his health became poorer, just as he has in the past.
Small Government Liberal
Qaanol

Postby poxic » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:25 am UTC

Steve Jobs, Jack Layton, the guy who won the Nobel prize three days after...

Man, fuck cancer.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

Well historically speaking, we Jews do tend to be great at Christmas. Just ask Irving Berlin. Or Jesus.
- a random xkcd forumite
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby Oflick » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:34 am UTC

And people say Macs can't get viruses...

Yeah, I'm a dickhead. I feel sorry for his family and everyone close to him, but I don't see why this is any sadder than any other death (Generic response to the death of someone famous).
Oflick

Postby rigwarl » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:34 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:All I can think of is how their tribute picture looks like they were preparing for this and how it coincides too perfectly with a not-so-booming new iPhone..

You're doing a better job than me, the first thing I did was check http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:GOOG

I'm sorry Steve.

Ninja'd, this is sadder than most deaths because of how positively influential he is to the world.
rigwarl

Postby poxic » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:38 am UTC

Oflick wrote:Yeah, I'm a dickhead. I feel sorry for his family and everyone close to him, but I don't see why this is any sadder than any other death (Generic response to the death of someone famous).

Because it's someone we've heard of, and we may have mental/emotional associations of that person with good or interesting things. Y'know, as though there were a small amount of grieving that needs doing. Or something.
TEAM SHIVAHN

Well historically speaking, we Jews do tend to be great at Christmas. Just ask Irving Berlin. Or Jesus.
- a random xkcd forumite
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby Oflick » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:44 am UTC

poxic wrote:
Oflick wrote:Yeah, I'm a dickhead. I feel sorry for his family and everyone close to him, but I don't see why this is any sadder than any other death (Generic response to the death of someone famous).

Because it's someone we've heard of, and we may have mental/emotional associations of that person with good or interesting things. Y'know, as though there were a small amount of grieving that needs doing. Or something.

Don't get me wrong, I can completely understand why people get upset when celebrities, politicians, or other people they've never met die. I can understand if someone's out there, they can do things that mean a lot to people, so yeah I can understand it. I rushed a bit to post that so probably didn't word it the best. To me Steve Jobs's death isn't any more tragic than anyone else's (so I personally can't see how it's sadder), but I can understand that others may be more upset.

But at the end of the day, I really feel sorry about the people who knew him personally. That's what I find sad when someone I don't know dies.
Oflick

Postby KnightExemplar » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:46 am UTC

Then don't see it as sadder. Instead, see it as a news event that people will probably discuss. I don't think anyone in this topic is saying that he's "more important" than anyone else, or implying that we should revere him in some way.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.
KnightExemplar

Postby sje46 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:57 am UTC

Oflick wrote:And people say Macs can't get viruses...

Yeah, I'm a dickhead. I feel sorry for his family and everyone close to him, but I don't see why this is any sadder than any other death (Generic response to the death of someone famous).

So, what, should we have a thread on this forum for every person in the world that died, or no thread at all?

He was a famous guy, who was well-known. A celebrity. It doesn't have to be "sadder". It's just that there's a far higher percentage of people saddened by this than by the death of a non-celebrity. There's really no reason to...gripe?...about people recognizing him. Is that what you're doing, btw? Otherwise it's a bit of a non-sequitur.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46

Postby Wodashin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:59 am UTC

I will. Jobs > Whinehouse. Maybe it's wrong to put the value of one life ahead of another's, but this guy changed the world. Plus, using his commencement address as my speech in speech team for months probably made me feel closer to him as a person than if I hadn't. Learned a lot about him. I'd argue that he's more important than a lot of people. Someone who'll go down in history, along with other tech geniuses of our time who have had such a lasting effect on our society.
Wodashin

Postby Ghostbear » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:05 am UTC

I don't really feel Oflick was being hostile though, s/he was just discussing the event from their perspective. Maybe I'm just biased though, because it is a take on the event I generally agree with. More focused on jobs though, he was a good, capable businessman. I feel people give him too much credit for non-business decisions, and I've never liked Apple products, but that's no reason to disparage his life.

Edit: typos
Last edited by Ghostbear on Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ghostbear

Postby Velict » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:08 am UTC

It's not coincidental that Thomas Edison comparisons have been floating around. The guy's a legend, especially in tech circles.

edit: if you haven't seen the Stanford speech, you should.
Velict

Postby ShootTheChicken » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:19 am UTC

Man. This sucks.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.
ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby lawls » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:23 am UTC

This really is a sad day. :(
Steve Jobs was a great mind.
lawls

Postby Wodashin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:41 am UTC

Velict wrote:

It's not coincidental that Thomas Edison comparisons have been floating around. The guy's a legend, especially in tech circles.

edit: if you haven't seen the Stanford speech, you should.

This is a great speech.
Wodashin

Postby Cleverbeans » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:06 am UTC

Every time a self-absorbed megalomaniac marketer overcharging people for second rate products dies it's a good day for humanity. Good riddance to bad rubbish....
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln
Cleverbeans

Postby The Great Hippo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:13 am UTC

Cleverbeans wrote:Every time a self-absorbed megalomaniac marketer overcharging people for second rate products dies it's a good day for humanity. Good riddance to bad rubbish....
Hey.

You're neither clever nor a bean.

I call bullshit.
The Great Hippo

Postby sje46 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:17 am UTC

Cleverbeans wrote:Every time a self-absorbed megalomaniac marketer overcharging people for second rate products dies it's a good day for humanity. Good riddance to bad rubbish....

Besides the rather transparent rabble-rousing here, I take issue with the idea that any legal business does any real harm. I was never a fan of mac. But mac is a good thing for humanity just because it completes with the near monopolistic Microsoft.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46

Postby Steax » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:18 am UTC

At the end of the day, everyone in the tech community, be it as competitive as it is, has great respect for each other. Jobs was among those who did what others couldn't, and, in any case, the world would be different without Apple.

Zuckerberg's Facebook post: "Steve, thank you for being a mentor and a friend. Thanks for showing that what you build can change the world. I will miss you."

Google's homepage: "Steve Jobs, 1955 - 2011" (or, Sergey Brin's G+ post)

White House blog: "Michelle and I are saddened to learn of the passing of Steve Jobs." </snip>

Bill Gates' take, via Jay Greene.

In any case, it's quite heartwarming to see the overall community come together like this.

And what exactly is wrong with overpricing premium stuff? I can't see how that hurts anyone.

Cupertino today.
Via Scobble. He has a sort of live blog covering what's happening there, on G+.
Last edited by Steax on Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:28 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby buddy431 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:21 am UTC

To me, I find the fact that someone died at 56 more depressing than the fact that Steve Jobs is dead. I always like to think that as a first world citizen, if I lead a healthy life, I can probably expect to live to 80. And then cancer's like "maybe not". At least Dr. Steinman ("the Nobel Prize guy") was in his late sixties.

Pancreatic cancer really sucks. At least I can console myself with how uncommon it is, but I do feel sorry for those who have it, or know someone who has it.

Anyway, I guess that death is the great equalizer. No matter how rich you are, or how poor, whether you're a king or a slave, you're going to die someday. Everybody has a life, and should cherish it until they no longer do.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.
buddy431

Postby ShootTheChicken » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:31 am UTC

How wonderful would it be if over the next few days everyone who revered Apple as Gods, and everyone who despised Apple as Satan shut the fuck up?
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.
ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby Steax » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:34 am UTC

buddy431 wrote:To me, I find the fact that someone died at 56 more depressing than the fact that Steve Jobs is dead. I always like to think that as a first world citizen, if I lead a healthy life, I can probably expect to live to 80. And then cancer's like "maybe not". At least Dr. Steinman ("the Nobel Prize guy") was in his late sixties.

This kind of got to me, yeah. And it was surprising how... early this happened, since he stepped down from CEO. I mean, I was thinking at least a couple years or so. But a couple months? Didn't see that coming.

ShootTheChicken wrote:How wonderful would it be if over the next few days everyone who revered Apple as Gods, and everyone who despised Apple as Satan shut the fuck up?

I don't really mind those two. I wish the trolls who keep trying to get them to fight would shut up.
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Diadem » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:06 am UTC

So the guy who founded one of the most evil corporations currently in existence has died. I am supposed to feel bad about this, why?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to celebrate. But neither am I going to be sad.
Last edited by Diadem on Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister
Diadem

Postby poxic » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:07 am UTC

Diadem, meet Cleverbeans. Cleverbeans, meet Diadem. I think you two will get along just fine.
TEAM SHIVAHN

- a random xkcd forumite
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:08 am UTC

Diadem wrote:So the guy who founded one of the most evil corporations currently in existence has died.

I am supposed to feel bad about this, why?

Most evil? That's cute.

cleverbeans wrote:Every time a self-absorbed megalomaniac marketer overcharging people for second rate products dies it's a good day for humanity.

The products aren't second rate, though I'm not denying that Jobs was self-absorbed. So, does dickishness warrant death by cancer?
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby Steax » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:14 am UTC

Out of curiosity, what is this "most evil" you talk about?

I can't help like I'm missing out on something when I hear people say that Apple's evil. Restrictive or walled-garden-y maybe... but outright evil?
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Diadem » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:17 am UTC

poxic wrote:Diadem, meet Cleverbeans. Cleverbeans, meet Diadem. I think you two will get along just fine.

I can't agree with Cleverbeans's post. Celebrating feels wrong.

However none of us here personally knew the guy. Whether people feel sad or happy or anything in between upon hearing this news, it has nothing to do with Steve Jobs as a person, because noone here knew anything about that person. The response is purely based on Steve Jobs the celebrity. There's nothing wrong with that, celebrities can have a lot of effect on our lives, and so it's no more than logical to feel some emotions, good or bad, when hearing they have passed away. But let's not pretend it's anything more than that.

And the impact Steve Jobs had on our lives is unequivocally bad. So tell me again, why should I feel bad about it?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
Diadem

Postby The Great Hippo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:20 am UTC

Steax wrote:Out of curiosity, what is this "most evil" you talk about?
Spoiler:

Diadem wrote:And the impact Steve Jobs had on our lives is unequivocally bad. So tell me again, why should I feel bad about it?
Yeah, man, I still remember that time that Steve Jobs came to my house, ate all my candy, kicked my cat, and pissed on my snazzy rug.

Man, what a dick.
Last edited by The Great Hippo on Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The Great Hippo

Postby Diadem » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:21 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:Most evil? That's cute.

British East India Company: Defunct June 1, 1874

You're stretching the defition of 'currently in existence' here.
Diadem

Postby buddy431 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:23 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote: So, does dickishness warrant death by cancer?

That's the great thing about cancer - like most diseases, it doesn't really care if you've been a dick or not. But unlike many other diseases, it also largely doesn't care how rich you are, or what type of conditions you've been living in. Sure, there are some specific cancers brought on by living next to toxic waste dumps or working in asbestos mine, but many types, including pancreatic cancer, are pretty independent of this. And, as a healthy, affluent American, that scares the shit out of me, but it's also sort of comforting that there are some things that the incredibly rich and the very poor both have to worry about.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.
buddy431

Postby Falling » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:24 am UTC

buddy431 wrote:To me, I find the fact that someone died at 56 more depressing than the fact that Steve Jobs is dead.

Very much this.
Falling

Postby The Great Hippo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:24 am UTC

Diadem wrote:

Okay, how about this: Did Steve Jobs knowingly infect people in Asia with AIDS? How about carrying out illegal drug tests in Africa under the guise of providing medical aid?

Seriously: Piss off.
Last edited by The Great Hippo on Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The Great Hippo

Postby sourmìlk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:28 am UTC

Diadem wrote:

Stretching, yes. Breaking, no. But see the Hippo's post.

Diadem wrote:And the impact Steve Jobs had on our lives is unequivocally bad.

How do you figure? Even if he only made shitty products, that would be a neutral affect on our lives. I have enjoyed my rather durable macbook, my first computer as a Powermac G3, he revolutionized the smartphone business, arguably indirectly causing most smartphones out today. I really have no idea how your moral calculus works.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby poxic » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:31 am UTC

Sorry, Steve. We're turning your goodbye thread into a flamefest.
TEAM SHIVAHN

- a random xkcd forumite
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:32 am UTC

c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Steax » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:32 am UTC

My work partially revolves around building for iOS and OS X, so I can't agree that it is "unequivocally bad". Also, most people in the tech world would agree that the iPhone started the smartphone revolution as we have today, and introduced the whole App Store concept, around which many people work with nowadays. These are decisions that Steve Jobs made himself, not necessarily that of Apple as a whole.

And there are a whole bunch of byproducts of what the rise of Macs have done (assuming the latest macs are entirely because Jobs revived Apple). The iPad started the whole tablet industry. It's arguable, but seeing the amount of nay-sayers when it came out, most people never even thought it would work. iPads are now a tool in and of themselves, and other companies make them too. How is this bad?

Most of the tech world's response is along the lines of "we've lost an innovator. we'll now never see what he dreamed of building" or something like that. He's viewed as a great mind.
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Next

Return to News & Articles