Libya Confirms Chemical Weapons Found

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

The Reaper

Libya Confirms Chemical Weapons Found

Postby The Reaper » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:15 pm UTC

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ ... 91,00.html
TRIPOLI, Libya) — Libya's interim prime minister on Sunday confirmed the presence of chemical weapons in Libya and said foreign inspectors would arrive later this week to deal with the issue.

Prime Minister Mahmoud Jibril said Libya has no interest in keeping such weapons.See more on the continued presence of NATO in Libya.)

"We would like to assure you that the new Libya will be a peaceful Libya and that it is in our interest to have no weapons in Libya," he told reporters.

Last week, Ian Martin, the top U.N. envoy to Libya, told the U.N. Security Council that undeclared chemical weapons sites have been located in Libya.

At the time, he also expressed concern over command and control of chemical and nuclear material sites.

Jibril, who has announced his resignation ahead of the formation of a new interim government, did not provide any details about the chemical weapons.See more on Gaddafi's burial in Libya.)

"There are international organizations taking care of this issue," he said, adding that representatives of those organizations are due to arrive in Libya later in the week.

A Russian-drafted U.N. resolution, to be voted on this week, calls on Libyan authorities to destroy stockpiles of chemical weapons in coordination with international authorities.

Garm

Re: Libya Confirms Chemical Weapons Found

Postby Garm » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

I like this new Libya.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Triangle_Man
WINNING

Postby Triangle_Man » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:32 pm UTC

Changing polygamy laws to make it easier for men to take more than one wife - X in my openion.

Discovering and dealing with chemical weapons in a prompt fashion - O(fuck yeah)
I really should be working right now, but somehow I don't have the energy.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:My moral system allows me to bitch slap you for typing that.

Garm

Postby Garm » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:36 pm UTC

Triangle_Man wrote:Changing polygamy laws to make it easier for men to take more than one wife - X in my openion.

Discovering and dealing with chemical weapons in a prompt fashion - O(fuck yeah)

Forgot about that first part. The chemical weapons bit is pretty great tho'.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:55 pm UTC

I've absolutely no interest in their polygamy laws. Fucking great that they're handling chemical weapons that way.

Cue some media playing it up like they're only getting rid of some of it, and doing it in a way that erases suspicion that they'd keep it.

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:44 pm UTC

That's really good news, they'll likely have all their chemical weapons destroyed before the US does. :lol:
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

Return to “News & Articles”