Texas judge beats his daughter for gaming [trigger warning]

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Re: Texas judge beats his daughter for gaming [trigger warni

Postby Belial » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:00 am UTC

savanik wrote:It's not child abuse for one core reason: Texas, as a society, believes that this sort of treatment of children is acceptable for discipline. You might not like it, you might not agree with it. It's likely that even some Texans don't approve of it, particularly after this video. But as a society, historically and collectively, they sanction it as acceptable.

Before you decided to wank off to cultural relativism, did you bother to check whether any of that was true?

The only reason this isn't prosecutable is because it's expired. Even if it wouldn't have resulted in a conviction, it almost certainly would've resulted in a removal by CFS. This isn't acceptable in texas. In fact, look no further than what happened to the judge: he was suspended, if he returns to work he won't be able to preside over any cases related to this sort of thing, which is basically all cases since he's family law. He is almost certain to lose his job. Need more evidence? He had to kill the lights before he started, because the neighbors might see the silhouettes.

So no, Texas isn't some bizarre savage land where child abuse is totes okay, and the fact that you're in such a hurry to excuse it that way is...worrisome?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:00 am UTC

savanik wrote:Morality is defined by the society in which the context of the actions can be judged.

Only to a certain degree, and this far surpasses it. Beating children is not moral because a society thinks it is. Morality is flexible, not that flexible.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:23 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
savanik wrote:Morality is defined by the society in which the context of the actions can be judged.

Only to a certain degree, and this far surpasses it. Beating children is not moral because a society thinks it is. Morality is flexible, not that flexible.

http://thinkonelliott.blogspot.com/2011 ... ivism.html

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:26 am UTC

Plasmic-Turtle wrote:
sourmìlk wrote:

http://thinkonelliott.blogspot.com/2011 ... ivism.html

Yes, I view SMBC.
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:58 am UTC

Sorry if you found that inappropriate or inane. I'd never looked at SMBC before and was linked to that comic in particular only a couple of days ago, and couldn't help but find it amusing that it suddenly seemed rather appropriate.

Anyway, on topic, I'm very glad that this case has been given the exposure it has, and I hope that the judge does get the help that he needs. I think it's sad that he's not in any way apologised (from what I've heard in the media, anyway), and instead pointed out how his daughter is 'just trying to get back at him' for stopping financial assistance or the like. EdgarJPublius I must say, I found your info on how many states still have corporal punishment in schools as officially legal really surprised me. Even domestic corporal punishment is now illegal in NZ, although it was said to be for the purpose of eliminating any legal term under which child abusers can hide (i.e. removing the problem of hazy definitions such as 'reasonable discipline'), and parents who simply smack a bum with a hand are not generally charged with anything.

Personally I would hope to barely smack a bum should I become a parent in the future though: I have many memories of smacked bums and no recollection of what they were for, yet a strong memory of having it explained to me that pointing at that lady with dwarfism when I was 5 might hurt her feelings - I bawled my eyes out for ages, I never meant to hurt anyone. And while I can clearly remember what I 'did wrong' the 2 times in my life where I feel my mother's punishment was unnecessarily harsh, they certainly didn't encourage me to change my behaviour, only making me very angry, indignant and hurt. Unsurprisingly the friend of my mother's who told her it would be a good idea to literally wash my mouth out with soap when I swore is now entirely ostracised from her own daughter.

Save Point

Postby Save Point » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:14 am UTC

My friends and I are having a disagreement over the role of the mother. I'm under the impression that the mother walks in and talks a big talk but is ultimately trying to get the father out of the picture by feigning agreement. She not only uses her smaller belt, but smacks her once, and then leads the judge out of the room. Of course, he then returns, upset that he didn't get is turn at a 'licking.' I reckon, like others, that there was a spousal abuse element to this as well, and that both the daughter and mother were balancing things to avoid getting the other severely punished for more disobedience.

My friend disagrees and thinks the mom was fully complicit, with little to no defense.

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:24 am UTC

I'm very excited about the judicial conduct inquiry, based on their website I'd say there is a very good chance he'll never work in the legal system again. To quote

Judicial misconduct is an action by a judge that brings discredit upon the judiciary or the administration of justice.

It goes on to givefurther examples of misconduct including out of court conduct gives me a lot of confidence that at the very least be removed from the judiciary.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:48 am UTC

Belial wrote:So no, Texas isn't some bizarre savage land where child abuse is totes okay, and the fact that you're in such a hurry to excuse it that way is...worrisome?

Agreed. I live in Texas. The stereotypical view of a "Texan" is looked on with as much disbelief/amusement/dismay by Texans as by you lot. The people I know are from all over Texas, and nobody thinks what this guy did is ok. Cities in Texas look much like cities in any other state. The only people I've ever met who were like the stereotype were... nowhere.

So, basically, this.
EdgarJPublius wrote:The idea that
savanik wrote:Texas, as a society, believes

anything is completely ridiculous. Texas is no more socially or culturally homogenous than California or New York, or any other state for that matter.
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:05 am UTC

Themis wrote:My friend disagrees and thinks the mom was fully complicit, with little to no defense.

This doesn't make sense, particularly when considering the testimony of the daughter, who vouched for the mother, saying that she was emotionally abused into helping.

Save Point

Postby Save Point » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:23 am UTC

sourmìlk wrote:
Themis wrote:My friend disagrees and thinks the mom was fully complicit, with little to no defense.

This doesn't make sense, particularly when considering the testimony of the daughter, who vouched for the mother, saying that she was emotionally abused into helping.

We had only seen the video without any testimony. I didn't realize she'd come out and said that.

yurell

Postby yurell » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:27 am UTC

Themis wrote:We had only seen the video without any testimony. I didn't realize she'd come out and said that.

From the video description (emphasis mine):

Spoiler:
2004: Aransas County Court-At-Law Judge William Adams took a belt to his own teenage daughter as punishment for using the internet to acquire music and games that were unavailable for legal purchase at the time. She has had ataxic cerebral palsy from birth that led her to a passion for technology, which was strictly forbidden by her father's backwards views. The judge's wife was emotionally abused herself and was severely manipulated into assisting the beating and should not be blamed for any content in this video. The judge's wife has since left the marriage due to the abuse, which continues to this day, and has sincerely apologized and repented for her part and for allowing such a thing, long before this video was even revealed to exist. Judge William Adams is not fit to be anywhere near the law system if he can't even exercise fit judgement as a parent himself. Do not allow this man to ever be re-elected again. His "judgement" is a giant farce. Signed, Hillary Adams, his daughter.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Save Point

Postby Save Point » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:07 am UTC

yurell wrote:
Themis wrote:We had only seen the video without any testimony. I didn't realize she'd come out and said that.

From the video description (emphasis mine):

Spoiler:
2004: Aransas County Court-At-Law Judge William Adams took a belt to his own teenage daughter as punishment for using the internet to acquire music and games that were unavailable for legal purchase at the time. She has had ataxic cerebral palsy from birth that led her to a passion for technology, which was strictly forbidden by her father's backwards views. The judge's wife was emotionally abused herself and was severely manipulated into assisting the beating and should not be blamed for any content in this video. The judge's wife has since left the marriage due to the abuse, which continues to this day, and has sincerely apologized and repented for her part and for allowing such a thing, long before this video was even revealed to exist. Judge William Adams is not fit to be anywhere near the law system if he can't even exercise fit judgement as a parent himself. Do not allow this man to ever be re-elected again. His "judgement" is a giant farce. Signed, Hillary Adams, his daughter.

Sorry, homes, we saw a reupload on a cell. "Judge William Adams beats his daughter for playing online" was the only description available.

yurell

Postby yurell » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:10 am UTC

Then it's fortunate I quoted it for you ^_^
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

ShortChelsea
One thousand four hundred and thirty seven

Postby ShortChelsea » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:29 pm UTC

*shakes head* I really hope he isn't allowed to be a judge anymore. Jerk.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:04 pm UTC

Guess what? US attorney: no federal offense in Texas beating.
Even more revolting if probable:
If the judicial commission investigation doesn't lead to punishment, Adams could be safe on the bench until he's up for re-election in three years.

buddy431

Postby buddy431 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:56 pm UTC

What federal crime would you possibly charge him with? Failing to protect the civil rights of his daughter? This is clearly a state crime, and while it's unfortunate that the statute of limitations has expired, there's no reason at all for the feds to be involved in this.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:30 pm UTC

Well yes, except he hasn't been charged with anything at all, and seems likely to keep his position when the furore has died down.

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:59 am UTC

Ptolom wrote:Well yes, except he hasn't been charged with anything at all, and seems likely to keep his position when the furore has died down.

I can't imagine he'll keep his position after this. Even if the judicial inquiry conclude he didn't do anything wrong, putting him back on the bench would likely tarnish the reputation of the judiciary in public opinion, and that's sufficient grounds to remove him according to their website.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

buddy431

Postby buddy431 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:49 am UTC

A Judge has given a temporary restraining order preventing Judge Adams from seeing his youngest daughter without the mother's permission. He is also prohibited from drinking alcohol within 24 hours before seeing her. There's a hearing November 21 on the ex-wife's request to have his visitation rights denied, or at least require supervised visitations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/13/us/ruling-against-judge-seen-beating-daughter.html

On an only slightly related note, here's a guy who had a little bit more creativity in abusing his daughter, when he made her sword fight him for two hours. Despite the amusing headline, it's really not a funny case.

Finally, I'm impressed by how big the story on Judge Adams got so quickly, but also how quickly it has died out. This thread hasn't been edited since the tenth, and none of the stories are showing up on Google news anymore. Wikipedia was quick to delete their article on the man, saying that it was just a sensationalist news story that would go away with the next news cycle. They appear to have been right.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

drkslvr

Postby drkslvr » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:51 am UTC

buddy431 wrote:I'm impressed by how big the story on Judge Adams got so quickly, but also how quickly it has died out.

In a way, it's a shame. But at the same time, I think that there have been lives changed by this. I am confident that there are people who have viewed this video who now will be less likely to abuse their children in the future, and I suspect that there are abuse victims who have seen it who now will be more likely to get help. That's really the best outcome we can hope for in a situation like this. It was and is a terrible story. But hopefully, we can all gain from the experience.

Also, is that APAP I see in your profile pic?
Help a paralyzed kitten get surgery! Fundly.com/Help-Link-Walk-Again
Like Link's page for photos and updates on his status: Facebook.com/HelpLinkWalkAgain

ShortChelsea
One thousand four hundred and thirty seven

Postby ShortChelsea » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:27 am UTC

drkslvr wrote:
buddy431 wrote:I'm impressed by how big the story on Judge Adams got so quickly, but also how quickly it has died out.

In a way, it's a shame. But at the same time, I think that there have been lives changed by this. I am confident that there are people who have viewed this video who now will be less likely to abuse their children in the future, and I suspect that there are abuse victims who have seen it who now will be more likely to get help. That's really the best outcome we can hope for in a situation like this. It was and is a terrible story. But hopefully, we can all gain from the experience.

On the youtube video that I saw, there were a quite a few comments about how the girl deserved it. It's hard for me to tell when people are trolling and when they're just stupid, however.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:51 am UTC

ShortChelsea wrote:On the youtube video that I saw, there were a quite a few comments about how the girl deserved it. It's hard for me to tell when people are trolling and when they're just stupid, however.

Keeping in mind Poe's Law, I'm pretty sure they were all trolling.

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:27 am UTC

ShortChelsea wrote:On the youtube video that I saw, there were a quite a few comments about how the girl deserved it. It's hard for me to tell when people are trolling and when they're just stupid, however.

Either way they're terrible people.

Cheezwhiz Jenkins

Postby Cheezwhiz Jenkins » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:07 am UTC

Diadem wrote:How can this hold up to Federal scrutiny? Are states really allowed to make laws that say: "This class of citizens, yeah, you can beat them senseless whenever you please". Isn't it the federal government's task to stop states from doing things like that?

Well, yes, actually, and no, not really, respectively. The federal government is tasked with stopping states from making unconstitutional laws, but this is an area of state authority under the Constitution. Under the 10th Amendment, of course, whatever powers aren't explicitly given to the federal government or denied to the states ARE state powers. What this is interpreted by the judiciary to mean (among other things) is that it is the states that have police power, that is, authority to enact legislation to protect the "health, safety, welfare and morals" of their citizens. So...yep, pretty much, states can do that, unless there's a really good argument for why a state law doing that ALSO conflicts with the constitution (example: abortion and right-to-privacy being implicit in the Constitution).
That explosion was so big it blew off his mullet :-O

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:40 pm UTC

He's been temporarily suspended while the inquiry is ongoing. Hopefully the fact this story has dropped out the news cycle will not prevent this man getting the punishment/help he deserves/needs.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

I was disgusted to discover that Judge Adams has been reinstated and is back on the bench. A gross miscarriage of justice if I've ever seen one...

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

I would argue that people should be allowed to suffer consequences and after serving the appropriate penalty, be reintegrated with society. I would, but not if it only applies to the rich and/or powerful.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:16 am UTC

yurell wrote:When I saw the title I thought maybe he had smacked his daughter on the rear with his hand a couple of times and someone overreacted. After having seen that video ... it brought me to tears. That is fucking disgusting, and the closest he should ever come to public office is to be in front of a judge sentencing him for child abuse.

Yup. See, even defenders of corporal punishment generally advise moderation, and essentially everyone accepts that there's a point where you've gone too far.

Generally, I think anyone smacking the kids in anger is probably not taking the sanest approach to punishment. I didn't watch the whole video, because, honestly, it's a little sickening, but from what I saw, it very clearly isn't a logically administered punishment. He's basically impulsively striking her again and again. That's way, way over the line from normal punishment and reward into just violence.

I do think that sometimes minors are treated a little too much like property of parents instead of developing people with rights of their own.

Plasmic-Turtle

Postby Plasmic-Turtle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:08 am UTC

Cleverbeans wrote:I was disgusted to discover that Judge Adams has been reinstated and is back on the bench. A gross miscarriage of justice if I've ever seen one...
WTF?! Damn this makes me angry. I agree with CorruptUser that offenders should be re-integrated into society, but I don't think that that re-integration should involve being completely re-instated to their former position only a year later, particularly when that position is in family law and his crime was beating his child. I hope he was required to take some form of anger management courses or counselling as a requirement of taking his job back, though there's no mention of it :-/

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

The Texas Supreme Court last week lifted Adams' suspension, during which he collected his $150,000 salary.

A year of extremely well paid vacation? I want this to happen to me!

:-/
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Return to “News & Articles”