Facebook Threatens to Sue Mark Zuckerberg.

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

LaserGuy

Facebook Threatens to Sue Mark Zuckerberg.

Postby LaserGuy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:08 am UTC

No, not that Mark Zuckerberg.

From Huffington Post.

Spoiler:
First the Winklevoss twins sued Mark Zuckerberg. Now, it looks like Facebook is poised to do the same.

Facebook is threatening to sue Mark Zuckerberg, an Israeli entrepreneur who recently changed his name from Rotem Guez to "Mark Zuckerberg," according to Zuckerberg's site MarkZuckerbergOfficial.com.

"No it is not a joke," Zuckerberg wrote in an email to The Huffington Post. "I am now legally Mark Zuckerberg, and it's for the next 7 years :)"

The twisted tale of Zuckerberg vs. Zuckerberg started after Zuckerberg, formerly Guez, launched a Like Store that sold Facebook "likes" to companies, a transaction that violates of the social networking site's policies.

First, Zuckerberg, formerly Guez, sued Facebook over its failure to return his "hacked" profile. Next, a lawyer from Perkins Coie representing Facebook wrote a letter to Zuckerberg, then Guez, in September, warning him to "immediately stop your activities." The lawyer asked Zuckerberg to confirm before Sept. 5, 2011 that he had "stopped and will not in the future access Facebook's site, services, platform, or network for any reason whatsoever," among other stipulations.

In early December, Guez claimed he officially changed his name to Mark Zuckerberg and has posted pictures of his ID card and passport to prove it. He also recorded a video that he says documents his visit to the Ministry of Home Affairs to change his name.

(See video below)

In an email to The Huffington Post, Zuckerberg offered the following explanation for his name change:
Facebook decided to sue me after i myself, filed a law suit against them, in Israel. i wanted that once they sue me, they'll face suing "Mark Zuckerberg". Facebook accused me of selling ficticious "Likes", which is not true, our "Likes" come from real users who want to receive our content, and instead of paying us with money, they pay us with "Likes". The idea was, if only "Mark Zuckerberg" is allowed to sell likes, then for that matter, i'm "Mark Zuckerberg".

A week after Guez became Zuckerberg, Facebook's lawyer followed up with another letter "demanding that you stop violating Facebook's terms."

"If you ignore this letter and continue your current improper conduct, Facebook will take whatever measures it believes are necessary to enforce its rights, maintain the quality of its site, and protect its users' privacy and information," the Perkins Coie lawyer warned.

Facebook did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In violation of the lawyer's mandate, Zuckerberg is still on Facebook. He has created a Facebook page titled "I'm Mark Zuckerberg" and has shared images of himself, his personal documents, and newspaper clippings.

Zuckerberg said in an email that he thinks highly of Zuckerberg, the founder of Facebook.
i think Mark Zuckerberg is a genious. i think he cares more about controlling the world and controlling our databases, than making money. Facebook and M.Z. have to understand that Facebook is not just any ordinary site it, along with Google, is the main avenue of the internet. They have to take on Google's example, not to erase content they don't aprove of. Google catorgorizes such content where it thinks it belongs, it doesn't disable accounts and erase content.

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Re: Facebook Threatens to Sue Mark Zuckerberg.

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:21 am UTC

I don't know who to side with here. While I'm pretty sure that Mark Zuckerberg had the right to change his name, it's kind of dickish, especially if your website is MarkZuckerbergOfficial.com
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:27 am UTC

I'm finding it hard to not see how his name-change wasn't malicious. Changing your name is one thing, but deliberately changing it into the owner of a property, then going to that property and making no clear difference between him and the owner (as well as trying to sell services there) outright screams malicious to me.

He calls the page "I'm Mark Zuckerberg". It's blatantly impersonating the real one, otherwise he'd make the differences clear.

I'm inclined to think he just wants the media coverage, especially from stuff like this.

The stats from my YouTube video... 75,737 views! in just a few hours. Thanks!
Last edited by Steax on Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:29 am UTC

Probably. But is a malicious name change a grounds for a suit?
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:33 am UTC

Facebook is telling him to get off their property, and it's their decision. By being malicious, Facebook now has a good reason to enforce their judgement. If he keeps impersonating Zuckerberg (and keep trying to make money off it, making financial losses and plain old deceiving people), and won't leave Facebook as requested, I think it'd take something like a suit to stop him.

Apparently he thinks what he's doing is some sort of "anti-censorship campaign", given how he says Facebook should be like Google and stop censoring stuff.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:35 am UTC

What's the burden of proof for showing that he's trying to impersonate Mark Zuckerberg? I mean, unless he specifically states he's the one that founded Facebook, it sounds like he's being a dick, but not a law-breaking one.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:57 am UTC

This story vaguely reminds me of 351. He's clearly a troll, but at least he's being stylish.

[edit]@sourmilk, I don't think they're accusing him of impersonating Mark Zuckerberg; they're accusing him of violating Facebook's terms of service.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:00 am UTC

Because I'm lazy, is there any part of the Facebook ToU that says you can't be named Mark Zuckerberg even if that is your legal name? In fact, don't they sort of require you to use your legal name?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:02 am UTC

The issue is that he's making a business of selling "Likes" on Facebook. That's against their TOS, for one thing. And by using the name, without making it clear that he is not the real one (sure, he has photos, but that's not explicit), he may be tricking people into thinking it's a "real" Facebook offer of some sort. This service has since been removed from Facebook, but they have their own site, as linked to from his site.

Facebook didn't immediately jump into a lawsuit. They started with removing his content and then threatened further if he doesn't stop.

Overall, though, this guy is just doing massively annoying stuff.

Facebook decided to sue me after i myself, filed a law suit against them, in Israel. i wanted that once they sue me, they'll face suing "Mark Zuckerberg".

Proginoskes

Postby Proginoskes » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:04 am UTC

Slightly off topic: A few years back, there was a Jeopardy! contestant named Chase Morgan. When Chase and Morgan (banks) merged a few years before this appearance, they wanted to set up a website called chasemorgan.com. The problem? Chase Morgan (the human) already owned the website.

The Chase / Morgan (bank) lawyers threatened to sue Chase Morgan (the person) for "squatting". Chase Morgan faxed them a copy of his birth certificate, showing that that was his legal name. The lawyers promptly shut up at that point.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:22 am UTC

Proginoskes wrote:Slightly off topic: A few years back, there was a Jeopardy! contestant named Chase Morgan. When Chase and Morgan (banks) merged a few years before this appearance, they wanted to set up a website called chasemorgan.com. The problem? Chase Morgan (the human) already owned the website.

The Chase / Morgan (bank) lawyers threatened to sue Chase Morgan (the person) for "squatting". Chase Morgan faxed them a copy of his birth certificate, showing that that was his legal name. The lawyers promptly shut up at that point.

But at the same time, Chase Morgan (player) could have gotten a lot of money from the Bank to buy the domain.... same way that a Canadian Rock Band may be able to sell the domain teaparty.org for a sizeable amount of cash.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:42 am UTC

I'm quite sure that Facebook would be fine if this guy just made a profile and had enough. Instead, he went on to register a domain calling himself the "official" one, made a page saying that "I am Mark Zuckerberg", and Facebook's current threat was about the TOS.

Here's the clear timeline:
January 29 2011, man sues Facebook for shutting down his account. Oddly, I can't seem to find any evidence of this aside from his own website.
September 1, Facebook threatens him because of TOS violation.
December 7, man changes his name to Mark Zuckerberg. Apparently for the lulz.
December 14, Facebook repeats the threat, this time with technical blocking.

He has 2 reasons for doing the name change:
- only facebook can control "likes", and because he is zuckerberg, he can now do so
- LOL NOW THEYLL BE SUING MARK ZUCKBERG HAHA LOL

Do note that their TOS apparently includes the line "mislead facebook users". If you're promoting yourself to be the owner of a property and then selling illegal stuff on that property isn't "misleading", I don't know what is.
Last edited by Steax on Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:43 am UTC

He's not saying that he's the owner of Facebook though, he's just sort of insinuating it. He's a dick, if he loses his suit then, even if he shouldn't have legally, I won't be too upset.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:47 am UTC

Yes, because if he outright said he's the owner of Facebook, he'd get blown away that very instant. By pretending to be so vaguely, he gets to have a case, gets the media attention he so adores, and just might get some extra traffic for his little dodgy business.

You know, like
Make $100000000 in one hour!
*results are not typical, and depends on effort, personal ability, education, luck, proportion of left and right middle fingers, and decisions of ancient aztec gods

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:03 am UTC

Fucking Huitzilopachtli, never did give me that $1,000,000.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:39 pm UTC

Zuckerberg said in an email that he thinks highly of Zuckerberg

Sentences like that make my head hurt.

(Though I suppose each of the Zuckerbergs thinks highly of himself, making the sentence true.)
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

sourmìlk

Postby sourmìlk » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:53 pm UTC

Arancaytar wrote:
Zuckerberg said in an email that he thinks highly of Zuckerberg

Sentences like that make my head hurt.

It's even worse with pronouns

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:20 am UTC

Regardless of ethics or legality, this motherfucker is hilarious.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Return to “News & Articles”